[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 Green Bay Packers Thread  (Read 134524 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2023-24 Green Bay Packers Thread
« Reply #2000 on: October 10, 2023, 03:15:36 PM »
I don’t disagree per se, but it’s a different era of QB evolution, fair or not

Don't disagree. And of course Favre meeting success after initial failure is very much not the norm in the history of the NFL.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2001 on: October 10, 2023, 04:17:13 PM »
Don't disagree. And of course Favre meeting success after initial failure is very much not the norm in the history of the NFL.

And that failure was relative.

Packers had a losing record what, 7 of 8 years before Holmgren and Favre arrived in 92?  Even if Favre made a lot of mistakes and struggled at times, that was still not just an above .500 team each year, it was markedly better than what the Packers had been doing.

QB era or not, the leash Love or Mac Jones is gonna get is gonna be much shorter than someone like early Josh Allen or Trevor Lawrence, due to recent organizational expectations, IMO.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2002 on: October 10, 2023, 04:36:59 PM »

Packers had a losing record what, 7 of 8 years before Holmgren and Favre arrived in 92?  Even if Favre made a lot of mistakes and struggled at times, that was still not just an above .500 team each year, it was markedly better than what the Packers had been doing.

QB era or not, the leash Love or Mac Jones is gonna get is gonna be much shorter than someone like early Josh Allen or Trevor Lawrence, due to recent organizational expectations, IMO.
Organizational expectations and Love is in his 4th year.

I think Love is showing promise. Too early to make any meaningful judgments.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #2003 on: October 10, 2023, 04:44:02 PM »

The questions about Favre actually came more in 1993, his second season.

In '92, the Packers won 6 straight in Nov./Dec. and finished with a 9-7 record. A significant improvement over the '91 team that went 4-12 and their play and Favre's play was a bit of a surprise.

In '93, expectations were higher, especially after signing Reggie White. However, Favre's play declined. He lead the league in inceptions. His completion percentage and QB rating fell as well. However, the team still went 9-7 and made the playoffs. The GB was improving rapidly, but there were real questions on whether Favre was the right guy at QB. However, Holmgren struck with Favre.

Looking back at it, the playoff win in Detroit was a huge moment for him. The win cemented his status as the Packers QB. From there, Favre's career took off.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2004 on: October 10, 2023, 04:53:38 PM »

In '92, the Packers won 6 straight in Nov./Dec. and finished with a 9-7 record. A significant improvement over the '91 team that went 4-12 and their play and Favre's play was a bit of a surprise.

In '93, expectations were higher, especially after signing Reggie White. However, Favre's play declined. He lead the league in inceptions. His completion percentage and QB rating fell as well. However, the team still went 9-7 and made the playoffs. The GB was improving rapidly, but there were real questions on whether Favre was the right guy at QB. However, Holmgren struck with Favre.

Looking back at it, the playoff win in Detroit was a huge moment for him. The win cemented his status as the Packers QB. From there, Favre's career took off.

Kind of.  The turning point for him was the Thursday night loss in ‘94 at Minnesota.  He got hurt in that game and had a terrible interception.  The story goes, Holmgren wanted to bench him and go with Brunell.  Up to that point in the season, he had 9 tds, 7 picks and one game with a QB rating over 90.  He was bad.  That’s through 7 games

After that, 24 tds and 7 picks and only one game with a QB rating under 90, not counting the Monday night rain and wind disaster in Chicago.  So, a completely different player the final 8 games.  The difference was stark. 

This is an article that references the Holmgren story

https://vault.si.com/.amp/vault/1997/01/27/warmed-up-after-getting-off-to-a-chilly-start-packers-coach-mike-holmgren-and-quarterback-brett-favre-have-found-their-comfort-zone

Edit:  lots of pieces of information about Holmgren and the staff discussing the idea of benching him and Holmgren sticking with him

« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 04:58:44 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2005 on: October 10, 2023, 05:03:27 PM »
Question for Packer fans: would you trade Love for Justin Fields?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #2006 on: October 10, 2023, 05:16:33 PM »
Kind of.  The turning point for him was the Thursday night loss in ‘94 at Minnesota.  He got hurt in that game and had a terrible interception.  The story goes, Holmgren wanted to bench him and go with Brunell.  Up to that point in the season, he had 9 tds, 7 picks and one game with a QB rating over 90.  He was bad.  That’s through 7 games

After that, 24 tds and 7 picks and only one game with a QB rating under 90, not counting the Monday night rain and wind disaster in Chicago.  So, a completely different player the final 8 games.  The difference was stark. 

https://vault.si.com/.amp/vault/1997/01/27/warmed-up-after-getting-off-to-a-chilly-start-packers-coach-mike-holmgren-and-quarterback-brett-favre-have-found-their-comfort-zone

Edit:  lots of pieces of information about Holmgren and the staff discussing the idea of benching him and Holmgren sticking with him

Thanks for the additional context. I knew Holmgren had serious discussions on benching Favre, but I thought it was in 93, not 94.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2007 on: October 10, 2023, 05:19:56 PM »

Is maybe an acceptable answer?  I’m not convinced Fields gets a best chance for success in Green Bay at the moment given the line and youth.

I’d like to see Love have a DJ Moore.

If Love isn’t the guy, I’d like to see a new coach with a draftee QB to develop, whether that’s a Caleb Williams or a Drake Maye or JJ McCarthy-type

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2008 on: October 10, 2023, 06:15:16 PM »

No social media. Easy decision for the coach.

Not really, but it was a different time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2009 on: October 10, 2023, 06:23:11 PM »
No social media. Easy decision for the coach.

Not really, but it was a different time.

Though the Packers lost that game, this was a cool play

https://youtu.be/RNfvoGI9DQ0?si=_0Y_IPLIuN6DmLKM

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2010 on: October 10, 2023, 06:57:22 PM »
Though the Packers lost that game, this was a cool play

https://youtu.be/RNfvoGI9DQ0?si=_0Y_IPLIuN6DmLKM
Having a WR block Reggie White is nearly as bad as having a LB cover Davante Adams
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2011 on: October 10, 2023, 07:13:17 PM »

If I can get Maye or Williams in the Draft, yes. Then I have an elite RB with a promising QB.

If I need to use either as a QB, no.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2012 on: October 10, 2023, 07:19:33 PM »
If I can get Maye or Williams in the Draft, yes. Then I have an elite RB with a promising QB.

If I need to use either as a QB, no.

You think Fields is an elite RB? What leads you to that conclusion? Did he play RB at all in college? He's never taken a snap at RB for the Bears

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2013 on: October 10, 2023, 07:52:19 PM »
You think Fields is an elite RB? What leads you to that conclusion? Did he play RB at all in college? He's never taken a snap at RB for the Bears

It’s just his ongoing lame joke about Fields being an RB not a QB. It’s biweekly

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2017 on: October 17, 2023, 01:35:53 PM »
Posted in the wrong thread?

Aikman hates the Packers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2018 on: October 17, 2023, 01:56:37 PM »

You may want to look at the history of Bart Starr as well. Mr. Starr was a 17th round draft choice in 1956 and either backed up or split time with another quarterback until 1960. Coach Lombardi saw something in Mr. Starr and made him the full-time quarterback. 1961 was the first season Mr. Starr was the full-time, permanent quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. Absent periods of injury, Mr. Starr stayed as the starting quarterback until 1970.

People mature at different rates. I'm still very optimistic Jordan Love is the guy.

I know Aaron Rodgers fans may disagree, but Mr. Starr was the best ever for the Green Bay Packers. Proof: Five (5) rings!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2019 on: October 17, 2023, 02:00:52 PM »
You may want to look at the history of Bart Starr as well. Mr. Starr was a 17th round draft choice in 1956 and either backed up or split time with another quarterback until 1960. Coach Lombardi saw something in Mr. Starr and made him the full-time quarterback. 1961 was the first season Mr. Starr was the full-time, permanent quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. Absent periods of injury, Mr. Starr stayed as the starting quarterback until 1970.

People mature at different rates. I'm still very optimistic Jordan Love is the guy.

I know Aaron Rodgers fans may disagree, but Mr. Starr was the best ever for the Green Bay Packers. Proof: Five (5) rings!

Starr was the best QB in Packers history.  10 post-season games, 15TDs, 3 picks, 104.8 passer rating.

Ran the offense, callled the plays.  Wasn’t as talented and didn’t put up video game numbers but given the era, no doubt Starr is the best Packers QB ever

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2020 on: October 17, 2023, 02:59:55 PM »

Why isn't the current Pack QB "Mr." Jordan?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2021 on: October 17, 2023, 03:48:17 PM »
I'm not very convinced on Love at all.  I'd be thrilled to tank for Williams or Maye.

Love led the entire NCAA in interceptions his last year in college football, while playing against Mountain West defenders.  I don't care that he lost all his receivers after his sophomore year, if you're an NFL starting QB talent, you shred the Mountain West with Marquette High receivers.  His deep balls are so brutally inaccurate that it has, in my opinion, prevented him from more interceptions than he has this year.  There are times he's throwing it deep into 3 defenders, but the ball is off the mark by 10 yards so neither defenders nor the one receiver down field can make a play on the ball.

Yes I get that he's a first year starter playing with young receivers.  If his only problem was timing/chemistry with his receivers and the game moving too fast then maybe I'd believe he can develop into an above average starter.  But he's a 4th year NFL QB who is horribly inaccurate on short and deep throws.  He was great on intermediate throws early in the year, but even those are now leading to some turnovers.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2022 on: October 17, 2023, 04:08:10 PM »
Peddle his ass, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2023 on: October 18, 2023, 01:28:58 PM »
I'm not very convinced on Love at all.  I'd be thrilled to tank for Williams or Maye.

Love led the entire NCAA in interceptions his last year in college football, while playing against Mountain West defenders.  I don't care that he lost all his receivers after his sophomore year, if you're an NFL starting QB talent, you shred the Mountain West with Marquette High receivers.  His deep balls are so brutally inaccurate that it has, in my opinion, prevented him from more interceptions than he has this year.  There are times he's throwing it deep into 3 defenders, but the ball is off the mark by 10 yards so neither defenders nor the one receiver down field can make a play on the ball.

Yes I get that he's a first year starter playing with young receivers.  If his only problem was timing/chemistry with his receivers and the game moving too fast then maybe I'd believe he can develop into an above average starter.  But he's a 4th year NFL QB who is horribly inaccurate on short and deep throws.  He was great on intermediate throws early in the year, but even those are now leading to some turnovers.

Yep, he needs to execute better.  Having healthy players helps a lot though.  No Aaron Jones, Bakh, Elgton Jenkins, and Watson made the offense very incomplete.

Overall, I think he gets all of this year and then a 'prove it' contract loaded with incentives.  If he isn't the guy we will know by the end of next year at the latest.  IMO, if we get a spot where there is a QB we like a lot, I'm okay with the Packers chasing a bit of talent.  Even if that is trading our 1st and two 2nd to move up.

What probably needs to be addressed ASAP is Gute's tenure.  We have a lot of average players on this team without any standing out.  Doubt we see a pro bowl selection of note on the team.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2024 on: October 18, 2023, 01:50:57 PM »

It’d be pretty damn easy to give Caleb Williams partial ownership in the Packers!

feedback