[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 Green Bay Packers Thread  (Read 134493 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: 2022-23 Green Bay Packers Thread
« Reply #500 on: October 24, 2022, 05:32:04 PM »
surprised no has wondered if rodgers has been dabbling with some ayahuasca as part of pregame warmups.  is there a pee test for this stuff
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #501 on: October 24, 2022, 05:32:49 PM »
The hardest thing to do in sports is knowing when the rip the band-aid off.  Franchises and college programs let coaches and players linger longer than should for a variety of reasons.

There is something admirable in that.  Coaches and players can mean a lot to a franchise or program.  They could have brought championships and many great moments.  It’s hard to move on.  I don’t think it’s unnatural or wrong per se to want to let players and coaches go out on their own terms.

When you make that choice, though, the consequences can be harmful short term and long term.  The Packers had an opportunity after 2020 to move on from Rodgers.  It would have been a bold and controversial choice for the organization.  Would it have guaranteed anything?  Absolutely not.

We can guess what could of happened, but we don’t know.  It’s my opinion the franchise would have set itself up for greater success.  The return would have been a bonanza and could have led to other moves, such as the Adams trade.  Transition year or two?  Yes, but a good front office parlays those opportunities into a young team primed for success.

Maybe, if 12 plays better in the playoffs or the defense makes a stop against Tampa, the Packers have another ring with 12 and keeping him around was worth it.  It didn’t happen and while we don’t know what would have happened had they traded him, I’m willing to bet the future would look a whole lot better

Bill James had a long essay on this a few years back  - only on baseball teams. But I think it applies to other sports as well. Teams that are winning tend to make less changes than losing teams (pretty obvious statement), so as players age and hit the wall as all players eventually do, they tend to be affected more because the guys they pay big and keep around are usually pretty vital to the team's success.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #502 on: October 24, 2022, 05:36:30 PM »
1st place in the West, drafted very well with last's Denver's pick this year (additional 1st and 2nd), and positioned well with Denver's 1st and 2nd this year.   And they got Fant and a few other players.  And not saddled with a huge QB contract.  And still winning with Geno Smith more than Denver is with Wilson...

I would trade places with them at this point - Pack should have moved on last year, not two years ago.   Looks like the horse died in the off-season...

https://www.q13fox.com/sports/commentary-wilson-trade-could-prove-to-be-biggest-fleecing-of-an-organization-in-modern-sports-history

Enjoy the Seahawk bandwagon. “Winning the West after Week 7” is a cool banner.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #503 on: October 24, 2022, 05:42:42 PM »
Bill James had a long essay on this a few years back  - only on baseball teams. But I think it applies to other sports as well. Teams that are winning tend to make less changes than losing teams (pretty obvious statement), so as players age and hit the wall as all players eventually do, they tend to be affected more because the guys they pay big and keep around are usually pretty vital to the team's success.

The Packers aren’t unique to this.  There’s probably a set of Steelers and Saints fans arguing this as well. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #504 on: October 24, 2022, 05:49:18 PM »
The Packers aren’t unique to this.  There’s probably a set of Steelers and Saints fans arguing this as well.

Coaches need to get over that "I can fix him" mentality. Trubisky, Wentz, Winston - they are what they are. They keep showing us.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #505 on: October 24, 2022, 05:51:42 PM »
Coaches need to get over that "I can fix him" mentality. Trubisky, Wentz, Winston - they are what they are. They keep showing us.

There’s talent there, so I get it but for every Geno Smith 7 game run, there is a dozen fails

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #506 on: October 24, 2022, 05:54:17 PM »
Yes, the GB offense is bad. Yet they have:

1. More 1st downs than the opponents
2. More 3rd down conversions and at a higher percentage than opponents
3. More total yards
4. More offensive plays
5. 500 more passing yards
6. More TDs

Why do these numbers look like this when they have looked so inept on offense? It's because every team they have played (exc. the Queens) have terrible offenses. I don't remember the last team to play so many bad QBs in a row - game after game.

Yet the defense is so soft and weak that they keep losing. That is why GB's offense has better numbers. Big yardage comes from the passing game and their are zero reasons for any opponent to pass much.

My conclusion is that right now it's a photo finish as to which is worse - offense, defense, or ST. There is no good news right now.

You do realize that the above bolded elements can actually be an argument for how good the defense has been, right. Especially since the offense has been pedestrian at best.

If you were to dig deeper, it also highlights part of the problem. Turnover differential, where the Pack is the 6th worst in the league.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #507 on: October 24, 2022, 06:09:10 PM »
You do realize that the above bolded elements can actually be an argument for how good the defense has been, right. Especially since the offense has been pedestrian at best.

I’m not following your reasoning here, Forgetful

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #508 on: October 24, 2022, 06:20:06 PM »
I’m not following your reasoning here, Forgetful

The GB offense is pedestrian. Middle of road across the board (and that may be generous).

So if the pedestrian offense is outperforming their opponents significantly. That means the defense must be doing a decent job holding the opponent down.

For example. We are the 7th worst in the league at 3rd down conversion percentage. So if we are doing a better job there than our opponents, our defense is doing quite well.

The problem is:
1. Turnovers. We fumble too much, and at really bad moments. That makes the defense have to be on the field too long and it wears them down.

2. Rodgers can't scramble, and our O-line hasn't been stellar. So the defense can rush 3 or 4 and have 7 or 8 in coverage, and still pressure Rodgers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #509 on: October 24, 2022, 07:54:12 PM »
No. Just you.

Great analysis, though, on my post ::)

When my “analysis” is met with “you even DVOA bro?” Or “you’re Chicos!” I don’t know how I’m supposed to compete with it. But yeah, I’m the one not providing “analysis.”

You keep wondering why our opponents’ defenses don’t tire like ours does. Well, because their offenses don’t take 2 deep shots on first and second down to bad rookie receivers or over the hill veterans and then throw a bubble screen on third and long over and over in the second half. I’d think someone with such a superior football knowledge could see and understand that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #510 on: October 24, 2022, 09:09:52 PM »
will do, they having way more success than the Packers this year and have a boatload of picks and cap room to do something.  Packers likely looking up to Seahawks for the next 5 - 7 years...

Enjoy the Seahawk bandwagon. “Winning the West after Week 7” is a cool banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #511 on: October 24, 2022, 09:38:47 PM »
You say 12, I say Erin
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #512 on: October 25, 2022, 12:12:12 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #513 on: October 25, 2022, 03:41:41 AM »
will do, they having way more success than the Packers this year and have a boatload of picks and cap room to do something.  Packers likely looking up to Seahawks for the next 5 - 7 years...

Maybe.

But that doesn’t mean they should have gotten rid of Rodgers last year. You don’t get rid of a guy coming off two straight 13 win seasons.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #514 on: October 25, 2022, 04:48:11 AM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #515 on: October 25, 2022, 07:17:43 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #517 on: October 25, 2022, 08:09:58 PM »
Shocking

All he had to do was throw in an " ... and I am making way too many mistakes, too. I need to do my job better." But he didn't because that's not how he runs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #518 on: October 25, 2022, 09:25:44 PM »
All he had to do was throw in an " ... and I am making way too many mistakes, too. I need to do my job better." But he didn't because that's not how he runs.

You mean he wasn't talking about all his mistakes, and questioning whether he should be playing?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #519 on: October 26, 2022, 08:35:13 AM »
Rodgers showing leadership by pointing the finger again

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/aaron-rodgers-says-packers-make-too-many-mistakes-some-shouldnt-be-playing

i cannot recall when rodgers passes have been so consistently off the mark.  with the exception of a few, he has been hard to watch.  he is reacting badly/not feeling the pressure and getting sacked way too often.   they need to design more rollouts for him or something...?  time for lefleur to be a little more creative and add a little "trickery"
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #520 on: October 26, 2022, 08:52:57 AM »
i cannot recall when rodgers passes have been so consistently off the mark.  with the exception of a few, he has been hard to watch.  he is reacting badly/not feeling the pressure and getting sacked way too often.   they need to design more rollouts for him or something...?  time for lefleur to be a little more creative and add a little "trickery"

His overall completion percentage is only slightly down, but the ones that he is completing are very short. As of this point, he is setting career lows in both yards per attempt and yards per catch. He just doesn't have the receivers. The young ones might be good someday, but this is the worst group he has had during his career.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #522 on: October 27, 2022, 08:00:02 AM »
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/26/aaron-rodgers-on-calling-out-mistakes-publicly-people-in-this-society-have-a-hard-time-hearing-truth-sometimes/

Everyone can point the finger at Rodgers for these comments, but the coach isn't making them and should be, and that is a serious issue.

MLF has looked like a clown this year fit for some big red shoes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #523 on: October 27, 2022, 08:10:43 AM »
Everyone can point the finger at Rodgers for these comments, but the coach isn't making them and should be, and that is a serious issue.

MLF has looked like a clown this year fit for some big red shoes.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-matt-lafleur-addresses-aaron-rodgers-critical-comments-sometimes-the-truth-hurts/

feedback