[Today at 07:43:22 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by tower912
[May 12, 2024, 08:23:11 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 12, 2024, 03:17:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton  (Read 8146 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Burton
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:32:59 PM »
He is really forcing things.  Nothing else wrong with him except that.  His minutes are down to start the year, and he's trying to force the action.  In short, he's adjusting to a new role right now. 

bilsu

• All American
Re: Burton
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:35:10 PM »
I think he is still mourning the passing of his mother.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:40:06 PM »
He needs to shore up his defense to get more minutes.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
I think he is still mourning the passing of his mother.

This.  It can take a while to get your focus back and deal with the loss of a parent.

However, this does leave me encouraged for the 2nd half of the (basketball) year.  Get Fischer, hopefully a focused Burton again, and have the rest of the inexperienced guys start gelling.  We could be pretty good by the end of the year.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
He needs to shore up his defense to get more minutes.

I've been a huge critic of his D, but he is forcing action that isn't there on offense and hurting them more on that end right now.  Especially tonight.

Nephew

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
He is really forcing things.  Nothing else wrong with him except that.  His minutes are down to start the year, and he's trying to force the action.  In short, he's adjusting to a new role right now.  

Agreed.  The reason why he's forcing things could be due to a number of factors, including his new role in a Wojo's system.  Coping with the loss of his mother certainly won't speed up the learning process.

He'll come around.
mu_hilltopper (global moderator): "Nephew, people put you on 'ignore' because your post was so over-the-top dumb that people are taking an immediate dislike to you. Sorry."

wadesworld: [Nephew] "must be a recent communications grad"

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:48:11 PM »
I've been a huge critic of his D, but he is forcing action that isn't there on offense and hurting them more on that end right now.  Especially tonight.

This team is going to need someone to get the action going; I can live with his miscues on offense as long as he's keeping guys in front of him on defense.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »
This team is going to need someone to get the action going; I can live with his miscues on offense as long as he's keeping guys in front of him on defense.

Yeah, this team badly needs Deonte contributing offensively, and he will contribute plenty over the course of the year, but playing like he did tonight, his butt should be next to the coaches most of the game.  He forced things that weren't there and hurt the team against an opponent they could ill afford many empty possessions, or possessions that don't end with a smart play being made.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:32 PM »
We need more from Deonte, but he gets a pass from me for a while.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 09:31:37 PM »

Yeah, understandable if his head isn't in it right now, but until it is Cohen is deservedly staring and getting the most minutes - he's playing better at both ends.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 09:36:22 PM »

Burton needs to learn how to affect the game without scoring. That's the only consistent skill he's brought forth so far.

I would love to see Deonte get on the boards, especially the offensive glass. He has the body, length, and hops to make a difference there. He needs to watch some Jimmy Butler tapes from Jimmy's first season at MU.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 09:36:37 PM »

I tend to agree, but we're a team with absolutley no margin of error this year.  He's got to play smarter.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »
Burton needs to learn how to affect the game without scoring.

+1,000,000 - sums him up perfectly right now.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 10:13:25 PM »
This.  It can take a while to get your focus back and deal with the loss of a parent.

However, this does leave me encouraged for the 2nd half of the (basketball) year.  Get Fischer, hopefully a focused Burton again, and have the rest of the inexperienced guys start gelling.  We could be pretty good by the end of the year.

He will come to.
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 10:14:43 PM »
Agree that he needs to impact the game more without scoring.   He really hasn't progressed much that way from last year.   Last year, when he was hot, he was a volume scorer.   When he wasn't, he was a 6'4 guy trying to guard much bigger players in the post.    Steal or easy basket.    But again, he gets a pass from me for a while longer.    
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 06:17:25 AM »

If Deonte isn't scoring.... His head is not in the game....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 07:18:39 AM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:41 AM »
Let's just relax on Deonte. He almost certainly spent some time away from basketball and the team this summer. He's a little bit behind at this point. He'll get there.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 08:20:57 AM »

i know this is cliche, but once he get's through(not over) the loss of his mother, he needs to let the game come to him.  he will realize this isn't b.w.'s team anymore and one booger out of place doesn't pull you from the game.  in other words, deonte will do well by doing the right thing-play within his-self, hustle, follow his role and the game will unfold in front of him. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 08:05:18 PM »
Thinking about it, you have to assume the loss of Gardner will have a big impact on Burton's offense. The opposing team had to guard Gardner and that made it easier for Burton to operate. There is no one on the inside, including Taylor, that the opposing team needs to lock down on, so it can pay more attention to Burton.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »
Thinking about it, you have to assume the loss of Gardner will have a big impact on Burton's offense. The opposing team had to guard Gardner and that made it easier for Burton to operate. There is no one on the inside, including Taylor, that the opposing team needs to lock down on, so it can pay more attention to Burton.

I actually thought the absence of Gardner and the addition of better 3-point shooters actually would open things up for Burton down low. He and Gardner often seemed to try to occupy the same space.

Given the date and given Burton's drifting through the first two games, it's too early to know what to expect, I suppose.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback