'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: John Fanta Thoughts on MU Practice  (Read 9035 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: John Fanta Thoughts on MU Practice
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2021, 11:52:51 AM »
Orange or Grape?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2021, 12:13:41 PM »
Given the Big East standings are usually bunched up in the middle, I'm not sure what "not ready to be in the top 5" means. Even last year's disappointing 9th place finish was only two games out of 4th place, and the bunch in the middle arguably extended to 10th place Butler.

Is "fifth place" shorthand for "teams bunched in the middle?"

He could literally mean what place they finish in the Big East. He could also mean one of the 5 best teams in the Big East.
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »
He could literally mean what place they finish in the Big East. He could also mean one of the 5 best teams in the Big East.

He could also mean the university as a whole is not ready for the emotional rollercoaster ride of being a top 5 team.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2021, 01:53:13 PM »
John Fanta does a solid job as always. I like that he covers our league so well.

However, I believe we are ready to compete for the #3 spot in the league. I like our 3 Super Seniors , I like our two Sophs with experience, I think the other two sophs will add a lot athletically, and I think one out of the 5 freshman will emerge as a rotation guy.

I also agree our coach has a chip on his shoulder.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »
Plenty to be happy about but my favorite was "Finally, Shaka Smart gives Marquette an identity" and never wondering what they were trying to do. No more "whatever!" basketball.
I am thankful that Shaka gives MU an identity. But then Wojo-Dukiet gave Mu an identity, cant make the dance,
Thoings are on the upswing.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2021, 05:21:05 PM »

Things or thongs?  ;D
TAMU

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2021, 07:54:16 PM »
I am thankful that Shaka gives MU an identity. But then Wojo-Dukiet gave Mu an identity, cant make the dance,
Indeed…thongs are on the upswing!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2021, 08:03:47 PM »
Now here, I thought they were on the downswing. Kids nowadays.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2021, 08:04:24 PM »
Tight
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2021, 08:06:36 PM »
Like I said for this year my expectations for this year, bubble team, if we don't make NIT would be disappointed. I think some people here are going to be disappointed.
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2021, 07:10:29 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2021, 08:42:35 AM »
It's worth noting this is Seton Hall alum Fanta. He's going to shill for the East Coast teams above the rest in general. I think you can paint in 'Nova, UConn, SHU, and the Johnnies to his top-5. Basically, he's saying we aren't the best out of us and all of Xavier, Providence, Butler, and Creighton.

So brew, you read that from Fanta on Marquette and said, "This guy obviously has East Coast bias and doesn't like Marquette"?

I read that stuff, which sounded decidedly pro-Marquette (and downright worshipful of Shaka), and it pumped me up for the season.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2021, 09:20:54 AM »
He can play. He'll need to tighten up the handle. But the shot is pure, and release is quick.

My hope is he ends up like all the Nova guards who we think "that dude's still there?!"
in terms of shooting, how would he (Kolek) compare to, say, Rowsey? Similar? Not quite?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 09:24:06 AM by Viper »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »
So brew, you read that from Fanta on Marquette and said, "This guy obviously has East Coast bias and doesn't like Marquette"?

I read that stuff, which sounded decidedly pro-Marquette (and downright worshipful of Shaka), and it pumped me up for the season.

We Are Marquette!

John Fanta’s primary job is to pump and dump Big East teams on social media, who employs him in that role.  He has the three DePaul fans worked up into a lather thinking they are going to the Big Dance this year with his Chicago post on DePaul yesterday. He is awesome in that role.

I think we all remember him (and may confuse his roles) for his play by play gig with Fox Sports. But that is just his freelance job, but will be his future. He looks 50, but he is just 26, four years out of Seton Hall Scoop.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2021, 09:48:29 AM »
in terms of shooting, how would he (Kolek) compare to, say, Rowsey? Similar? Not quite?

Not close. Rowsey made twice as many threes with significantly better accuracy as a freshman. Kolek will be a better defender and distributor. Rowdy is a better pure scorer
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2021, 09:52:26 AM »

We Are Marquette!

I was answering the quoted question. Fanta is Big East Rothstein. He'll always give positivity (even his DePaul commentary was all designed to pump up) but he also tends to more heavily emphasize the "traditional" EC schools, which is likely why he made the not-top-5 comment.

It's even more evident on the podcast with Dauster, where his co-hosts have frequently given the "respond to X without talking about the Big East" because his biases are always pretty clearly on display. It's not surprising, his job is basically Big East PR & he's located on the East Coast, but it's also not very covert.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2021, 09:55:59 AM »
I was answering the quoted question. Fanta is Big East Rothstein. He'll always give positivity (even his DePaul commentary was all designed to pump up) but he also tends to more heavily emphasize the "traditional" EC schools, which is likely why he made the not-top-5 comment.

It's even more evident on the podcast with Dauster, where his co-hosts have frequently given the "respond to X without talking about the Big East" because his biases are always pretty clearly on display. It's not surprising, his job is basically Big East PR & he's located on the East Coast, but it's also not very covert.

Thanks for the info on Fanta. As I said, I'm not overly familiar with his work or his style.

It didn't seem outrageous to predict a non-top-5 finish for Marquette this season. I'll hope he's wrong!

John Fanta’s primary job is to pump and dump Big East teams on social media, who employs him in that role.  He has the three DePaul fans worked up into a lather thinking they are going to the Big Dance this year with his Chicago post on DePaul yesterday. He is awesome in that role.

I think we all remember him (and may confuse his roles) for his play by play gig with Fox Sports. But that is just his freelance job, but will be his future. He looks 50, but he is just 26, four years out of Seton Hall Scoop.

Thanks to you too, Dr. B.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2021, 10:05:47 AM »
Not close. Rowsey made twice as many threes with significantly better accuracy as a freshman. Kolek will be a better defender and distributor. Rowdy is a better pure scorer

Absolutely loved watching Rowsey but this is a perfect example of how easy it is to focus only on a player's scoring and ignoring how many blow by points he cost us on the other end of the court. The points given up by poor defense do not show up in the stats. Kolek may develop into a better overall player without the excitement that Rowsey generated, especially with his ability to draw fouls on 3 pointers. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2021, 10:45:06 AM »
Like many here, I’ve been closely following MU hoops for 45+ years. I have never seen a worse perimeter defender than Rowsey. I hope Kolek can be a better all-around player, even though I enjoyed watching Rowsey on O.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2021, 11:19:30 AM »
Like many here, I’ve been closely following MU hoops for 45+ years. I have never seen a worse perimeter defender than Rowsey. I hope Kolek can be a better all-around player, even though I enjoyed watching Rowsey on O.

While I am not advocating for Rowsey’s defense, and I know and appreciate that you are an eye test guy with your vast years of experience. I like to also consider objective stats to ward off biases of my opinions which I know you are not a fan of.

But, using defensive ValueAdd, there are plenty worse defensively than Rowsey including senior year Jake and Katin especially on the perimeter), and junior year Derrick and Diener, among others including Chapman early years (which may be why Crean recruited over him). I also see JJJ up there.

These stats confirm some of my eye test observations, mainly Katin and JJJ had no interest in playing perimeter defense either. In fact, even Wojo sat them at times as a result.

We can discuss perimeter vs. overall, coach scheme vs. roster composition, but in 45+ years than have been plenty as bad or worse defensively by the numbers at least. (Type in MARQ under team)

http://valueaddbasketball.com/ballall.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2021, 03:38:23 PM »
While I am not advocating for Rowsey’s defense, and I know and appreciate that you are an eye test guy with your vast years of experience. I like to also consider objective stats to ward off biases of my opinions which I know you are not a fan of.

But, using defensive ValueAdd, there are plenty worse defensively than Rowsey including senior year Jake and Katin especially on the perimeter), and junior year Derrick and Diener, among others including Chapman early years (which may be why Crean recruited over him). I also see JJJ up there.

These stats confirm some of my eye test observations, mainly Katin and JJJ had no interest in playing perimeter defense either. In fact, even Wojo sat them at times as a result.

We can discuss perimeter vs. overall, coach scheme vs. roster composition, but in 45+ years than have been plenty as bad or worse defensively by the numbers at least. (Type in MARQ under team)

http://valueaddbasketball.com/ballall.html

Thanks.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2021, 05:01:57 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2021, 09:11:49 PM »
He looks like he is Wes Matthews' younger brother.

Blended with ???

feedback