'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: John Fanta Thoughts on MU Practice  (Read 9133 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
John Fanta Thoughts on MU Practice
« on: October 08, 2021, 08:49:11 AM »
Fanta is one of the smarter college bball guys out there IMHO, tend to follow his stuff more than others. He went to one of our practices two days ago and shared some thoughts on twitter, most that we will like to hear, one we probably won't:

https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1445951681867526145

Have a lot of thoughts on Marquette after seeing the Golden Eagles practice today. Will share them tomorrow. The first takeaway? The moment Shaka Smart’s team stepped onto the practice floor, there was no easing into the session. It was 0 to 100, and nonstop. High tempo evident!

https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1446161969841676295

First takeaway from Marquette practice: Justin Lewis, in every way, looks like a lead breakout candidate in the Big East. The 6-7, 245-pound soph is built + has evolved offensively. The way he defends and rebounds fits well in what Shaka Smart wants to do. Really talented. #mubb

https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1446162812418547714

What really stood out to me at Marquette practice was how much Shaka Smart mobilized his bigs. MU is geared for 4-out, 1-in. Oklahoma transfer Kur Kuath had a really good session - his athleticism stood out. Oso Ighodaro also is springy and should help this team. #mubb

https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1446163682837286918

Marquette freshman Kam Jones has a well-rounded skillset and can be a first-year guy who impacts this team / puts up some numbers. In terms of Stevie Mitchell, his defense was impressive - active hands, fits Shaka's style. A freshman may very well start in the backcoourt. #mubb

https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1446164311613784070

It's evident that Darryl Morsell is the leader for Marquette. His activity inside huddles and the amount of conversations he was having with the freshmen said a lot, and his teammates raved about what he's added. He will need to be the man for this team this year. #mubb

https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1446165379970129932

Finally, Shaka Smart gives Marquette an identity. Watching them practice, never once did I wonder what they're trying to do. Smart feels comfortable at MU, and has a chip on his shoulder. He's able to coach with the style he has succeeded with before Texas. #mubb

https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1446166117647532034

Marquette is not ready to be in the top 5 of the Big East this season. However, they could sneak up on some teams because they have a DNA and the tempo that they play with could cause some problems. In 2-3 years? Look out. I just think Shaka Smart and MU fit each other well.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: John Fanta Thoughts on MU Practice
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 08:57:34 AM »
“Marquette is not ready to be in the top 5 of the Big East this season. However, they could sneak up on some teams because they have a DNA and the tempo that they play with could cause some problems. In 2-3 years? Look out. I just think Shaka Smart and MU fit each other well.”

That is what many on here have been wanting (Goose for one).  An identity/system.  Hope he’s right and in 3 years we are really good.  It will be worth the wait.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 08:58:13 AM »
I read these over on Dodd's board.   A lot to unpack.   It is good that Justin, Stevie, and Kam are playing well.  4-out is the current vogue.   Shaka does pick and roll from all over, not just from the top.   I love up tempo.

Finally, I agree with his assessment of MU's chances this year and going forward.   If he can keep the young guys together, year 3 will be filthy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 09:03:30 AM »
Plenty to be happy about but my favorite was "Finally, Shaka Smart gives Marquette an identity" and never wondering what they were trying to do. No more "whatever!" basketball.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 09:23:13 AM »
Athleticism can go a long way in college basketball.  If you have athleticism but not a lot of skill, you won't consistently beat the top teams, but you'll win more than you lose.  This team has athleticism.  And when you have a defense that starts with one of the best defenders in the country at the point of attack and rim protection behind him, that's a good place to start.  The combination of Morsell being an elite perimeter defender and then having the freedom to get into the perimeter players because if he does get beat he has rim protection behind him will do wonders for the team.

So it comes down to some "Ifs" that I think are fairly attainable for this team.

If Justin can hit perimeter jumpers this year
If Greg continues to shoot like he did last year
If one of Kolek, Jones, Mitchell, or even Joplin can be a consistent scorer, OR if Ellis can consistently create for others on the floor

Then this team will be a top 5 team in the Big East.  The last "If" is my biggest worry.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 09:27:25 AM »
I liked reading his thoughts on Morsell. While he will certainly makes the team better this season, I don't think it can be understated how much value his leadership may bring for years to come. It is important for young teams to have senior leaders to show them how it's done.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 09:32:14 AM »
Fine commentary, but Fanta is about on par with Rothstein in terms of showering praise on everyone in these visits.

I think if we slow the pace outside transition and grind games out, we'll be a tough out for a lot of teams, but plenty of questions about where the scoring will come from and how we'll keep up with more seasoned teams, which is a lot of our schedule in this year of super seniors.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 09:32:36 AM »
Athleticism can go a long way in college basketball.  If you have athleticism but not a lot of skill, you won't consistently beat the top teams, but you'll win more than you lose.  This team has athleticism.  And when you have a defense that starts with one of the best defenders in the country at the point of attack and rim protection behind him, that's a good place to start.  The combination of Morsell being an elite perimeter defender and then having the freedom to get into the perimeter players because if he does get beat he has rim protection behind him will do wonders for the team.

So it comes down to some "Ifs" that I think are fairly attainable for this team.

If one of Kolek, Jones, Mitchell, or even Joplin can be a consistent scorer, OR if Ellis can consistently create for others on the floor

Then this team will be a top 5 team in the Big East.  The last "If" is my biggest worry.
It is more important that Justin realizes he is an inside player.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »
If Shaka is playing 4-out, Lewis is not going to spend a lot of time posting up.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 09:42:42 AM »
I read these over on Dodd's board.   A lot to unpack.   It is good that Justin, Stevie, and Kam are playing well.  4-out is the current vogue.   Shaka does pick and roll from all over, not just from the top.   I love up tempo.

Finally, I agree with his assessment of MU's chances this year and going forward.   If he can keep the young guys together, year 3 will be filthy.

Shaka's Texas teams didn't play uptempo. In fact, they were mid to slow tempo teams which is what pick and roll gets you. I think your comment is about movement with a purpose within an offense.

What will be greatly improved is defense. Opponent time of possession will be sloooow.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 09:48:15 AM »
I think we will start to gel midway through the season, this is a young squad.  But I think people are selling short the versatility on this roster.  We will turn the corner in due time.  I expect us to establish a defensive and overall identity this year, surprise some people, and be ready to make some noise sooner than expected.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »

I watched some tape on Kolek last night and I think he is going to have a major impact on this team. He can take it to the rack, hit the floater, and hits very difficult long-range shots. I think he's going to be an incredible player in this program for the next couple of years.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 09:54:38 AM »
I watched some tape on Kolek last night and I think he is going to have a major impact on this team. He can take it to the rack, hit the floater, and hits very difficult long-range shots. I think he's going to be an incredible player in this program for the next couple of years.

Let's see what he can do against high D1 competition before we crown him.  We get these feelings about a lot of transfers that play against inferior competition.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 09:56:15 AM »

I hope you are right.  My expectations are tempered by Chartouny.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 10:00:29 AM »
What will be greatly improved is defense.

I hope, and believe so - but again, with everybody new to shaka's style, it may be a while before the defense even looks serviceable.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 10:03:51 AM »

He can play. He'll need to tighten up the handle. But the shot is pure, and release is quick.

My hope is he ends up like all the Nova guards who we think "that dude's still there?!"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 10:19:00 AM »
Plenty to be happy about but my favorite was "Finally, Shaka Smart gives Marquette an identity" and never wondering what they were trying to do. No more "whatever!" basketball.

This was the one that jumped out to me too. That was one of the biggest things missing from the Wojo era.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 10:31:09 AM »
Let's see what he can do against high D1 competition before we crown him.  We get these feelings about a lot of transfers that play against inferior competition.

He had a couple of his higher scoring games against St Bonnie and Dayton, which were among the best teams they played all year, so thats mildly encouraging.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 10:36:33 AM »
I liked reading his thoughts on Morsell. While he will certainly makes the team better this season, I don't think it can be understated how much value his leadership may bring for years to come. It is important for young teams to have senior leaders to show them how it's done.

Understated?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 11:02:32 AM »
The chip on Shaka's shoulder is why I think we exceed expectations. Everything tweeted out is exactly what I have heard from others and I believe the Shaka system is going to surprise some teams this year.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 11:10:31 AM »
Fine commentary, but Fanta is about on par with Rothstein in terms of showering praise on everyone in these visits.

I think if we slow the pace outside transition and grind games out, we'll be a tough out for a lot of teams, but plenty of questions about where the scoring will come from and how we'll keep up with more seasoned teams, which is a lot of our schedule in this year of super seniors.

I think that is going to be key and is demonstrated by some of the whispers we've been hearing about Nevada/Shaka's goal on defense--success defined as a longer possession for the other team (e.g., making them work hard for every basket).

The "not just high pick and roll" defense will also eat up clock if run appropriately. A lot of success on the offensive end is going to be tied to ownership of being "a guy" at different points. We can't have timid frosh with upperclassmen that won't take a bigger role and expect success. I think Kam and Joplin are going to be surprising sources of scoring. The hope is that O-Max and Kolek can step up and take 10ppg sort of roles to complement what we expect from Morsell and Justin (and hopefully, Greg).

So many ifs. But also a lot of potential in an actual system. That's what gives me some hope here.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 11:17:12 AM »
“Marquette is not ready to be in the top 5 of the Big East this season. However, they could sneak up on some teams because they have a DNA and the tempo that they play with could cause some problems. In 2-3 years? Look out. I just think Shaka Smart and MU fit each other well.”

That is what many on here have been wanting (Goose for one).  An identity/system.  Hope he’s right and in 3 years we are really good.  It will be worth the wait.

Given the Big East standings are usually bunched up in the middle, I'm not sure what "not ready to be in the top 5" means. Even last year's disappointing 9th place finish was only two games out of 4th place, and the bunch in the middle arguably extended to 10th place Butler.

Is "fifth place" shorthand for "teams bunched in the middle?" 

panda

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2021, 11:24:41 AM »
He can play. He'll need to tighten up the handle. But the shot is pure, and release is quick.

My hope is he ends up like all the Nova guards who we think "that dude's still there?!"

He’s going to be an instant fan favorite. Great shooter but the most underrated part of his game is his floor awareness. He’s an excellent passer and spaces the floor exceptionally well.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »
Given the Big East standings are usually bunched up in the middle, I'm not sure what "not ready to be in the top 5" means. Even last year's disappointing 9th place finish was only two games out of 4th place, and the bunch in the middle arguably extended to 10th place Butler.

This is a good point.

It's Nova. Random team that finishes one or two games behind Nova. And then seven teams that are indecipherable from each other. Pretty bad team. And, DePaul. Rinse and repeat.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2021, 11:32:05 AM »

It's worth noting this is Seton Hall alum Fanta. He's going to shill for the East Coast teams above the rest in general. I think you can paint in 'Nova, UConn, SHU, and the Johnnies to his top-5. Basically, he's saying we aren't the best out of us and all of Xavier, Providence, Butler, and Creighton.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback