[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Crime Reports  (Read 52893 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Marquette Crime Reports
« Reply #850 on: December 30, 2023, 10:20:37 AM »
Yep, this is only about you.  A legend in your own mind.
Wow.

"Sure, I did that, but you're not the only one I did it to"?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #851 on: December 30, 2023, 10:23:25 AM »
Why should we run for cover? How is reposting things on this site already shared on this site damaging in any way?

Our are you talking about the standard that we shouldn't say things online that we wouldn't want people in our lives to know about? My question is,  why wouldn't you hold yourself to that standard? Most of us do that already.

TAMU, as I said in my post, I was not referring to you.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #852 on: December 30, 2023, 10:37:28 AM »
I saw a tweet recently that said, roughly paraphrasing, that a common flaw in thinking is that only dumb people have dumb ideas.  We're all familiar with this idea that people elevate the thoughts of those they respect/admire/adore (see: Elon, insert whatever politician they support, etc..)  but also tend to extrapolate the foolishness or idiocy of an idea/viewpoint onto the one who expresses it.  This is increasingly heightened online.

But the reality is some of the dumbest or reckless decisions or ideas in business or political or global history have been made or espoused by otherwise intelligent people.

This is not to excuse any of the muck flinging or nonsense that happens here, but just something to think of when sniping at others here.

Furthermore, otherwise good people do terrible things sometimes.  I won't speak in generalities here cause he's no longer present and has been named many times, but the Keefe example is prime.  I know that myself and many others had great experiences with Keefe, likely largely involving nothing that made him divisive here.   As Ive mentioned, he personally went out of his way numerous times to assist me and help me before I ever met him personally.  But what he did was indefensible, pathetic, and extremely disappointing.  I don't fault Goose for his mindset on it.  Its hard to reconcile the offline person he knew with the disconnect that can often happen in online activities leading to something shameful.

Anyways, for some this won't change anything, but I just wanted to chime in on perspective that we all need sometimes.  I personally PM people, that I often disagree with, more often than I used to, whenever I see some sort of commonality cause it helps ground and "re-humanize" posters instead of just a username and avatar.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #853 on: December 30, 2023, 10:41:34 AM »
TAMU, as I said in my post, I was not referring to you.

Yes you were.  And that's okay. You commented about the bar I was setting in my post.  You can disagree with me,  I'm not fragile.  What concerns do you have about that standard?  And if you truly weren't talking about my bar,  what were you referring to?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #854 on: December 30, 2023, 10:54:11 AM »
Wag

You are spot on.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #855 on: December 30, 2023, 11:13:55 AM »
regardless basketball for brains-you know what you are doing and why and it sure ain't for anything good...because you guys don't like my politics, you do what the "mostly peaceful' types do and try to hurt people in other ways, i.e. their businesses.  instead of trying to burn mine down physically, you are trying to hurt it via doxing.  your post was way out of line.  there was absolutely no redeeming quality to it, but it sure made you feel good

if you were to be successful in hurting my business, understand you are hurting employees and patients.  if i brought up east troy, it was because it was pertinent to or it was in context with the discussion, i don't really remember.   i know it wasn't to put my business in harms way.  you however are doing just that and it's beyond WRONG.  it is abhorrent and people like you should not be allowed to post here if that is your goal to hurt fellow posters financially

one last thing-the people who really know me, work for me, have done business with me, been patients of mine for over 35 years, some crossing the generation from my father to me including my kindergarten teacher, piano teacher, high school teachers, coaches, grandchildren of classmates and friends, etc.etc.  they all know who i am. 

so stand proud basketball brains and dox away...   

Siri, what is the definition of irony?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #856 on: December 30, 2023, 11:17:00 AM »
Yep, this is only about you.  A legend in your own mind.

I'll be frank here (not Bryan, thanks) but you should proooooooooobably sit this one out, bucko.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #857 on: December 30, 2023, 11:51:49 AM »

Furthermore, otherwise good people do terrible things sometimes.  I won't speak in generalities here cause he's no longer present and has been named many times, but the Keefe example is prime.  I know that myself and many others had great experiences with Keefe, likely largely involving nothing that made him divisive here.   As Ive mentioned, he personally went out of his way numerous times to assist me and help me before I ever met him personally.  But what he did was indefensible, pathetic, and extremely disappointing.  I don't fault Goose for his mindset on it.  Its hard to reconcile the offline person he knew with the disconnect that can often happen in online activities leading to something shameful.

I think this is why there is so much vitriol towards Keefe. I also had many friendly discussions with him on a variety of subjects. And then suddenly, and I still don't know why, he turned on me. My guess is that it involved my hatred for Trump, but I don't know for sure.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #858 on: December 30, 2023, 06:43:10 PM »
Your very strong business brain doesn't understand rates and percentages vs. absolute numbers?
The post referred to the lowest number of murders in Detroit since the 1960s.  That is an absolute  concept.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #859 on: December 30, 2023, 07:01:53 PM »
Whole lot of old guys worried about veiled and unveiled racist, misogynistic, homophobic and quite frankly classist things they’ve posted on a message board may have real world implications.

Guys, we’ve all posted things that haven’t aged well in the 15(?) years this place has been here. Maybe let’s just be better going forward.

If you won’t put your dental practice behind what you post, don’t post it. Seems like a good mental check when posting.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 09:15:47 PM by 🏀 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #860 on: December 30, 2023, 08:35:27 PM »
Whole lot of old guys worried about veiled and unveiled racist, misogynistic, homophobic and quite frankly classist things they’ve posted on a message board may have a real world implications.

Guys, we’ve all posted things that haven’t aged well in the 15(?) years this place has been here. Maybe let’s just be better going forward.

If you won’t put your dental practice behind what you post, don’t post it. Seems like a good mental check when posting.

I think a good rule is to only post things that you're willing to have read aloud to you in front of your family. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #861 on: December 30, 2023, 10:45:16 PM »
Your very strong business brain doesn't understand rates and percentages vs. absolute numbers?

Herman is correct in this instance. The numbers being cited are absolute numbers. The current homicide rate in Detroit is overly double the homicide rate for 1966.

However, even taking rates into account, this is record low going back decades, though not all the way to 1966.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #862 on: January 02, 2024, 07:03:12 PM »
I think a good rule is to only post things that you're willing to have read aloud to you in front of your family.
When I show my wife things I have posted here, the responses usually fall into these categories.

Eye roll

Funny. (Deadpan wife voice slightly more Interested than eye roll)

You pulled your punch/you were nicer than that guy deserved.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #863 on: January 02, 2024, 09:49:54 PM »
When I show my wife things I have posted here, the responses usually fall into these categories.

Eye roll

I don’t share my or anyone else’s posts on Scoop with my wife. She’s well aware (after 50 years) that I’m hilarious and much kinder to people than they deserve, so what would be the point? Every once in a while she’ll ask me “What’s happening on the Marquette message board?” but it’s polite conversation, not any real desire for details. If she ever actually read a couple of pages here (especially in the Superbar or the in game threads) she’d be shocked at how awful this place can be and wonder what I’m doing here. But when I reminded her that (like you) I bring laughter to the joyless and kindness to the undeserving she would understand and support me in this often thankless pursuit.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #864 on: January 02, 2024, 10:01:48 PM »
I don’t share my or anyone else’s posts on Scoop with my wife. She’s well aware (after 50 years) that I’m hilarious and much kinder to people than they deserve, so what would be the point? Every once in a while she’ll ask me “What’s happening on the Marquette message board?” but it’s polite conversation, not any real desire for details. If she ever actually read a couple of pages here (especially in the Superbar or the in game threads) she’d be shocked at how awful this place can be and wonder what I’m doing here. But when I reminded her that (like you) I bring laughter to the joyless and kindness to the undeserving she would understand and support me in this often thankless pursuit.

I think this is the first Lenny’s post I’ve ever found funny.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #865 on: January 02, 2024, 10:25:04 PM »
I think this is the first Lenny’s post I’ve ever found funny.

Nothing more rewarding to an artist than a good review from a heretofore harsh critic. Thanks!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #866 on: January 03, 2024, 01:38:49 AM »
Lenny

My wife thinks I am a complete whack job with the time I spend on scoop and she probably is right. My scoop time is far from a secret in our family but I’m not calling her into the room to share “interesting “ comments or threads from scoop with her. One of my sons call me Goose from time to time and that usually triggers a brief conversation about scoop and my wife asking son if I am pissing people off or not.

By the way, you forgot to mention your role as valued teacher on scoop. Some day, many of your nemesis scoopers will tell their children that “Lenny was right and what a blessing he is on scoop”. Until then, keep calling it as you see it. If it sinks into one scooper’s head, you made the world a better place.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #867 on: January 03, 2024, 05:51:24 AM »

Eye roll

Depends on context, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #868 on: January 03, 2024, 11:31:42 AM »
Lenny

My wife thinks I am a complete whack job with the time I spend on scoop and she probably is right. My scoop time is far from a secret in our family but I’m not calling her into the room to share “interesting “ comments or threads from scoop with her. One of my sons call me Goose from time to time and that usually triggers a brief conversation about scoop and my wife asking son if I am pissing people off or not.

By the way, you forgot to mention your role as valued teacher on scoop. Some day, many of your nemesis scoopers will tell their children that “Lenny was right and what a blessing he is on scoop”. Until then, keep calling it as you see it. If it sinks into one scooper’s head, you made the world a better place.

Goose,

I like Lenny and his commentary here on Scoop even though we have vast differences. He adds a lot to the board.

But I don't think I will ever say “Lenny was right and what a blessing he is on scoop” to my kids.  :)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #869 on: January 03, 2024, 01:11:18 PM »
Goose,

I like Lenny and his commentary here on Scoop even though we have vast differences. He adds a lot to the board.

But I don't think I will ever say “Lenny was right and what a blessing he is on scoop” to my kids.  :)

Jockey

We do have vast differences politically but I always like to read your takes on other things - movies, music, sports and life in general. Back in the old, pre internet days, that was plenty to forge a friendship. In fact, many of my oldest and closest friends today are and have pretty much always been diametrically opposed to me politically. So imho politics are irrelevant to friendships, just conflicting opinions on how to best insure the common good. I’m not one to look backwards and mourn the loss of “the good old days” but that’s one good aspect of life in the USA that’s mostly been lost.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #870 on: January 03, 2024, 03:05:20 PM »
Wags et al. It is my belief that most of us reside in the middle on most things. Disagreements on issues doesn’t mean anybody is a bad person. We all come at things from different angles and you can’t know truth without being exposed to differing opinions.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #871 on: January 04, 2024, 08:49:58 AM »
I have zero interest in finding out more about scoopers than they wish to be shared.   And I don't believe in bullying.

Trolling is a form of bullying.
………………….
As for the thread, I admittedly skip over many threads here. Clicked on this one and it was quote the read.

Seems simple enough for everyone. Only say things here that you’d say standing two feet next to the person, because you may just meet one day.
…………………..

MU82

• All American
« Reply #872 on: January 11, 2024, 09:14:52 AM »
From the NYT's The Morning newsletter ...

In the chaotic early months of the Covid pandemic, when the U.S. was also going through the aftermath of George Floyd’s murder, violent crime rose across the country. Murders in 2020 increased at the fastest rate since national statistics began in 1960. Other crimes, like shootings and car thefts, also increased.

The surge in violence left some experts worried that the U.S. might be entering another era of high crime, similar to that of the 1960s through the ’90s.

But the data over the past year has offered a much more optimistic picture. The number of murders in U.S. cities fell by more than 12 percent — which would be the biggest national decline on record. The spike that started in 2020 now looks more like a blip, and the murder rate is lower than it was during the 1970s, ’80s and ’90s. The recent data also suggests that the violent-crime rate in 2023 was near its lowest level in more than 50 years, as Jeff Asher, a crime analyst, wrote for his newsletter.

To understand why murders and other crimes have declined, it’s useful to look at the likely causes of the increase: the pandemic and the fallout from Floyd’s killing by the police.

Covid, of course, upended American life in 2020 and 2021, including in ways that affected crime: Police officers stopped some forms of in-person contact, and more illness contributed to staffing shortages at police departments. Schools, which help keep teens out of trouble, shut down. Some social services and other anti-violence programs also had to scale back.

Covid does not explain everything. Many other countries did not report increases in their murder rates during the pandemic. Perhaps something unique to the U.S., such as its abundance of guns, made the country more vulnerable to the disruptions of Covid.

Regardless, the reality is this: During Covid, murders increased. As life has returned to normal, they have decreased.

The second explanation involves Floyd’s death. High-profile police killings typically strain relations between law enforcement and the public. This leads some officers to pull back from activities that can stop crime. More people become skeptical of working with the police to solve and prevent crimes. And as they lose trust in the police and the justice system, more Americans resort to their own means, including violence, to settle conflicts.

A similar phenomenon played out in the mid-2010s. Widely publicized police killings of Black men in Ferguson, Mo.; Baltimore; Chicago; and elsewhere strained relations between the police and their communities, and murders increased.

Back then, murders declined after a couple of years, as tensions eased and officials tried to repair police-community relations and improve policing. The same seems to have happened in the last couple of years.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #873 on: January 11, 2024, 02:51:27 PM »
Still elevated Vs pre pandemic
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #874 on: January 11, 2024, 07:48:00 PM »
Fact: