collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Crime Reports  (Read 52916 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Marquette Crime Reports
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2022, 04:46:32 AM »
Seriously? There have been an awful lot of posts mocking 4ever for even suggesting such a thing. Lot’s of stories about how rough and hardscrabble the campus was in (fill in the year), too. And dismissive ones (It’s an urban campus, urban areas always have crime problems). Nobody here (other than the President of the university and 4ever) has seemed concern at all.

I said “recent” increase. As in over the course of the semester or year.  Crime has been a factor at Marquette through much of its history and I don’t believe what the University is facing now is significantly different that what it faced when I was in school. But 4ever acts like it’s massively unprecedented somehow.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 07:39:45 AM by Clarissa »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2022, 06:16:47 AM »
I consider the use of guns in a crime as a significant threat to human life. If you've noticed, these crimes are being committed during daylight hours. How bold is that? Clearly those intent on robbery and/or bodily harm have no respect for human life. Should any of you, who continue to be in denial or want to minimize the significance of these events, were to be victimized, I'm certain you'd brown out your tidy whitey Jockeys quicker than cockroaches running in the kitchen when the lights are turned on.
The University is not located in Marquette, MI or De Pere. When significant bodily injury or worse is a result of these crimes, MU will be in big trouble. At a time when private schools are in competition for tuition dollars, can Marquette be any more than an "also ran," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2022, 06:48:25 AM »
I consider the use of guns in a crime as a significant threat to human life. If you've noticed, these crimes are being committed during daylight hours. How bold is that? Clearly those intent on robbery and/or bodily harm have no respect for human life. Should any of you, who continue to be in denial or want to minimize the significance of these events, were to be victimized, I'm certain you'd brown out your tidy whitey Jockeys quicker than cockroaches running in the kitchen when the lights are turned on.
The University is not located in Marquette, MI or De Pere. When significant bodily injury or worse is a result of these crimes, MU will be in big trouble. At a time when private schools are in competition for tuition dollars, can Marquette be any more than an "also ran," hey?
So what is your solution to the problem?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2022, 07:24:22 AM »
So what is your solution to the problem?

To post on scoop about it hoping we fix it.  We can do it!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2022, 07:31:47 AM »
One solution the AD is working on is having teams live together in dorms.  They are working with ORL on this.  The thinking is student athletes have too much exposure/risk in today's Milwaukee  walking to early morning practices or back to their housing late in the evening after returning from a late game or a road trip.  Housing teams together affords greater opportunity to walk in groups, and less risk. 

Apparently this move has some "gray" to it as far as compliance goes, but the vibe put out is that is worth it compared to the perceived risk.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 08:30:38 AM by real chili 83 »

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2022, 07:40:31 AM »

Again, this is not unprecedented in Marquette's history, but yes it is a troubling trend that has gotten worse lately not just in Milwaukee, but many other cities.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2022, 07:50:26 AM »

I have been the victim of it.  15 years ago, if you can believe that crime happened way back then.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2022, 07:55:50 AM »
MU should work with/put pressure on local and state government with the goal of improving economic conditions for all, thus likely decreasing crime

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2022, 08:11:13 AM »
Why don't you just quit your job and join mission trips to the outer reaches of U.S. poverty and donate your skills and services to accomplish that end, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2022, 08:14:05 AM »
MU should work with/put pressure on local and state government with the goal of improving economic conditions for all, thus likely decreasing crime

so give everyone some more money...that oughta do it.  checks in the mail baby

oh wow ma, lookee here, free money...thank God, saves me a trip to MU to cap any more arses and help myself to stuff that doesn't belong to me

problem solved?? 

dude, there are lots of job openings
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 29, 2022, 08:25:09 AM »

oh wow ma, lookee here, free money...thank God, saves me a trip to MU to cap any more arses and help myself to stuff that doesn't belong to me

problem solved?? 

Yet there are also people who are threatened to lose their jobs for shaving their head.  So...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #186 on: March 29, 2022, 08:37:22 AM »
Yet there are also people who are threatened to lose their jobs for shaving their head.  So...

just another job opening then eyna?
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 29, 2022, 08:41:22 AM »

problem solved?? 

"Improving economic conditions for all" doesn't simply mean "free money."  Stop being simplistic.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #188 on: March 29, 2022, 08:43:02 AM »

problem solved?? 

7 of 10

Good use of an expletive and ellipses.  Really hits a lot of good points.  Not your best effort but a solid drop into the conversation
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 29, 2022, 09:36:16 AM »
There's a decent interactive tool on the Milwaukee PD website that allows you to check crime by neighborhood. Unfortunately, the data they provide only goes back to 2020 (or at least I haven't found older data yet), but it does offer some factual basis for whether things are indeed descending into chaos, as some here suggest, or not.
Here's what the numbers show for the combined Marquette and Avenues West neighborhoods.

Murder:
2020 - 1
2021 - 2

Rape:
2020 - 8
2021 - 7

Robbery:
2020 - 33
2021 - 28

Aggravated assault:
2020 - 94
2021 - 81

Burglary:
2020 - 48
2021 - 17

Theft/Larceny:
2020 - 90
2021 - 83

Motor vehicle theft:
2020 - 65
2021 - 118

Arson:
2020 - 2
2021 - 4

So, according to the Milwaukee Police Department, anyhow, rather than worsening, the frequency of serious crime around campus actually has fallen. In fact, outside a big spike in car thefts - not exactly the kind of "blood on the streets" stuff we've been told about here - crime in the area was down quite a bit.
Which isn't to say the area is Gooseville, but it never has been Gooseville.

To be fair, the data does show a small increase in YTD crime from 2021 to 2022, but it's not statistically significant (11 total offenses from eight categories). We can keep an eye out throughout the year.

Still, I'd love to see pre-2020 and historical data for the neighborhoods. If anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:55:21 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 29, 2022, 09:52:04 AM »

Pakuni has offered factual evidence that violent crime in the area actually decreased from 2020 to 2021. Do you have evidence showing otherwise?

Regardless, I'm just glad this thread has been re-opened so you have a platform for your "Marquette is a dystopian hellscape" narrative. Better here than in every other thread on the board.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 29, 2022, 10:12:26 AM »
I think you guys should be emailing Lovell on his overreaction letter yesterday rather than posting on why Doc and others are so wrong. He may be causing unwarranted concern for parents, and he should be called out on that.

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2022, 10:13:47 AM »
I think you guys should be emailing Lovell on his overreaction letter yesterday rather than posting on why Doc and others are so wrong. He may be causing unwarranted concern for parents, and he should be called out on that.

Oy. Look I know you want to protect 4ever, and that's cute and all, but no one has said Lovell's communication was inappropriate.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2022, 10:14:00 AM »
Pakuni has offered factual evidence that violent crime in the area actually decreased from 2020 to 2021. Do you have evidence showing otherwise?

Regardless, I'm just glad this thread has been re-opened so you have a platform for your "Marquette is a dystopian hellscape" narrative. Better here than in every other thread on the board.

Yup. Old man nads and pakuni say nothing to worry about.  Mike Lovell and the MU admin fell different.

I'm going to side with the experts, nads and pakuni.

Piss off, Lovell, you big pūssy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2022, 10:19:26 AM »
Yup. Old man nads and pakuni say nothing to worry about.  Mike Lovell and the MU admin fell different.

I'm going to side with the experts, nads and pakuni.

Piss off, Lovell, you big pūssy.

I literally said nothing of the sort.
Honesty not exactly your strong suit lately (ever?), is it?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2022, 10:31:54 AM »

Who knew the simple act of posting data would stir up such anguish.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 29, 2022, 10:35:20 AM »

I have repeatedly said that crime is always an issue on city campuses, including Marquette's, and I'm glad MU is working to keep it from getting worse on our campus.

Or we can post every incident on a basketball fan board, no matter how small the incidents may be, and claim that Marquette is a war zone - even though statistical evidence seems to show that's not true.

Again, I'm glad we have this thread so hopefully the postings are contained to it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 29, 2022, 10:48:45 AM »
I just love that the people who are screaming that we need to be concerned about this can't come up with any solution for it, and when things are offered (common sense gun laws?) they say, "No!  Second Amendment!  Guns don't kill people, people kill people!  Why can't you admit there are bad people in the world and that guns can't 'cap' themselves?!  Gun laws don't work!"  Despite the statistics showing very much the contrary.

So what is the solution?  Just keep posting Tweets about crime?

There's a common theme to just about all of these.  Firearms are used.  Maybe...

Nevermind.  Second Amendment.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 29, 2022, 11:54:23 AM »
Only a fool would ignore the link between economics and crime

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2022, 11:54:50 AM »
just another job opening then eyna?

More bigotry