collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fairytale of New York  (Read 1781 times)

tower912

• All American
Fairytale of New York
« on: November 30, 2023, 07:17:45 AM »
Raise one in memory of Shane MacGowan and give a listen to the aformentioned titular drunken subversive holiday classic.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Fairytale of New York
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 08:35:14 AM »
Raise one in memory of Shane MacGowan and give a listen to the aformentioned titular drunken subversive holiday classic.

The Pogues were awesome.  May he rest in peace. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 10:01:14 AM »
One of those guys that was frankly shocking he made it this long, but heck of a wild life he led.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 10:54:18 AM »
Artist Number 4 on my Spotify wrapped playlist.

Iconic in bridging trad music to the next gen and modernizing it. It's painful when I hear people act like flogging Molly and dropkick murphys came out of nowhere when they were years after The Pogues first fused punk with trad music
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 07:48:21 PM »

Iconic in bridging trad music to the next gen and modernizing it. It's painful when I hear people act like flogging Molly and dropkick murphys came out of nowhere when they were years after The Pogues first fused punk with trad music

I must be a real geezer because I have no clue what any of this means!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 08:01:22 PM »
St Patties was a big, big deal back in the day in New York. Lots of Drunken Irish in the street .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 08:10:42 PM »
St Patties was a big, big deal back in the day in New York. Lots of Drunken Irish in the street .
Sounds glorious!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 09:49:29 PM »

Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphy's are nowhere close to the awesomeness of the Pogues. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 05:41:57 AM »
I must be a real geezer because I have no clue what any of this means!

in Ireland you don't say "I'm going to listen to traditional Irish folk music" you say "I'm going to a trad sesh" or "im listening to trad"

Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys are two of that style of music's biggest acts. When you go to a MU game they play Dropkick Murphys going into second half most of the time. Think the greenday or blink 182 of regular punk music. Something everyone knows, that really isn't "it" anymore.

The Pogues invented that style.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2023, 01:22:19 PM »
in Ireland you don't say "I'm going to listen to traditional Irish folk music" you say "I'm going to a trad sesh" or "im listening to trad"

Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys are two of that style of music's biggest acts. When you go to a MU game they play Dropkick Murphys going into second half most of the time. Think the greenday or blink 182 of regular punk music. Something everyone knows, that really isn't "it" anymore.

The Pogues invented that style.

Galway - thanks for the information. On Saturday I watched the MU/UW game at a bar with a friend who was born in Ireland but grew up in Rockford. We got to talking about The Pogues so I went home and drowned my sorrow with some good Bourbon while listening to some of their music and watching a few videos. It was great!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 08:06:14 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptayWtW1So8&t=298s

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 04:21:52 PM »
I've been listening to the Pogues quite a bit since Shane's passing.   Fall from Grace of God is an incredible album as is Peace and Love.  I also came across the Snake from Shane McGowan and the Popes.  Maybe it's a bit under the radar?  Another prime-time group of songs.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 04:28:09 PM »
I've been listening to the Pogues quite a bit since Shane's passing.   Fall from Grace of God is an incredible album as is Peace and Love.  I also came across the Snake from Shane McGowan and the Popes.  Maybe it's a bit under the radar?  Another prime-time group of songs.

Wow Muggsy given Shane's support of Sinn Fein who avidly supports Palestine I'm shocked you'd so proudly admit to listening to anti semites as you call them
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 04:38:06 PM »
Leave him be

Another classic is Which Side Are You On? by Dropkick Murphys

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2023, 04:39:34 PM »
Because Muggsy needs another rabbit hole.    Oy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 06:05:27 PM »
Leave him be

Another classic is Which Side Are You On? by Dropkick Murphys

Punk is inherently political it's not for everyone it's like Paul Ryan when he said RATM was his favorite band. Deserves to be called out
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 06:22:30 PM »
Punk is inherently political it's not for everyone it's like Paul Ryan when he said RATM was his favorite band. Deserves to be called out

Eh.
I don't believe one has to be in lockstep with an artist's political views to enjoy the art.
Gatekeeping the arts kind of defeats the purpose of the arts.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 06:40:49 PM »

You need to chill and help me brainwash Mugsy with far left music goddamn

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 06:41:29 PM »
Eh.
I don't believe one has to be in lockstep with an artist's political views to enjoy the art.

For 99% of musical genres I'd agree mostly because the political stance isn't front and center but not Irish rebel songs or punk rock. By your logic I should be able to go to east belfast and sing "ooh ah up the rah!" And everybody'd join in because it's a great tune. By your logic the torries should've been enjoying god save the queen by the Sex Pistols.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 06:41:43 PM »
Eh.

I agree with this.  Music and politics are or can be inherently interwoven anyway
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2023, 06:43:28 PM »
For 99% of musical genres I'd agree mostly because the political stance isn't front and center but not Irish rebel songs or punk rock. By your logic I should be able to go to east belfast and sing "ooh ah up the rah!" And everybody'd join in because it's a great tune. By your logic the torries should've been enjoying god save the queen by the Sex Pistols.

Those are two different things.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2023, 06:46:04 PM »
You need to chill and help me brainwash Mugsy with far left music goddamn

Haha I don't think he'd make the connection that the songs he's singing are pro a Palestine equivalent in a very comparable situation and would ignore that due to being fond of the nation
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2023, 08:27:12 PM »
Wow Muggsy given Shane's support of Sinn Fein who avidly supports Palestine I'm shocked you'd so proudly admit to listening to anti semites as you call them

I didn't know that but that doesn't change appreciating his music. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2023, 08:57:02 PM »
For 99% of musical genres I'd agree mostly because the political stance isn't front and center but not Irish rebel songs or punk rock. By your logic I should be able to go to east belfast and sing "ooh ah up the rah!"

No, that's not my logic at all.

By your logic the torries should've been enjoying god save the queen by the Sex Pistols.

I don't know about should've, but sure, a Tory can enjoy "God Save the Queen."
That single sold 200,000 copies in its first week of release. Do you think every one was sold to a Labour supporter? You think John Lydin cared as he was cashing checks?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2023, 09:06:38 PM »
No, that's not my logic at all.

I don't know about should've, but sure, a Tory can enjoy "God Save the Queen."
That single sold 200,000 copies in its first week of release. Do you think every one was sold to a Labour supporter? You think John Lydin cared as he was cashing checks?

1) it definitely is your logic, that's a real song called Celtic symphony by the Wolfe tones and given that you're saying politics should be seperated from the art then why shouldn't all the DUP supporters come join in my singing of that song?

2) John Lydon and the pistols is probably not my best example as they're a manufactured band and he's a MAGA guy now tbh I should've used a band that is more walks the walk like  stiff little fingers. And for them, yes I do strongly think they'd object to DUP or torry supporters listening to their music given they grew up in an apartheid-style state due to those parties.

3) the whole mindset that you're arguing for is why punk became the crappy whiny songs about teenage breakups in the late 90s. Welcoming too many people who don't agree with the entire foundation of a subgenre so they decide it'll just be something else.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 09:08:09 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam