collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Oh Fox Sports 1....  (Read 11298 times)

GGGG

• All American
Oh Fox Sports 1....
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
I never thought that you would manage to make First Take look classy.

http://deadspin.com/chael-sonnen-now-making-domestic-violence-jokes-about-r-1333834436

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Oh Fox Sports 1....
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »
Sonnen is an idiot who really shouldn't have a mic put in front of his face. I get his act and all, and it plays fine as a UFC fighter, but he acts like a WWE superstar any time he's on camera. Not at all suited for serious, professional journalism.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brandx

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »
I've been underwhelmed by FS1 so far. Their Football Daily show is OK but I haven't seen anything else to make me say I'll watch fs1 over ESPN

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
I've been underwhelmed by FS1 so far. Their Football Daily show is OK but I haven't seen anything else to make me say I'll watch fs1 over ESPN

All else equal, I figure I'll support the network that supports MUBB

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 11:13:12 AM »
Sonnen is an idiot who really shouldn't have a mic put in front of his face. I get his act and all, and it plays fine as a UFC fighter, but he acts like a WWE superstar any time he's on camera. Not at all suited for serious, professional journalism.

The problem is that FS1 is not attempting to be serious, professional journalism. They're attempting to garner some attention and hoping that turns into viewers.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »
The problem is that FS1 is not attempting to be serious, professional journalism. They're attempting to garner some attention and hoping that turns into viewers.

Isn't that basically what ESPN2 used to be?

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
All else equal, I figure I'll support the network that supports MUBB

Agreed. 

However, FS1 is going at it all wrong, by trying to imitate the current tire fire iteration
of ESPN.  Stop imitating, start innovating.  No one wants to watch the alternate
universe versions of the s***heap anchors, commenters, panelists, and sponsored
segments that ESPN vomits up in leiu of highlights.   

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »
Agreed. 

However, FS1 is going at it all wrong, by trying to imitate the current tire fire iteration
of ESPN.  Stop imitating, start innovating.  No one wants to watch the alternate

+1000

They have a chance to put a different spin on sports coverage. They aren't accomplishing that.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
Agreed. 

+1000

They have a chance to put a different spin on sports coverage. They aren't accomplishing that.

Agree completely with both of these posts. The reason that viewers are tuning away from ESPN is because it's all "expert analysis," debating topics to death and talking about what's going to happen next, as opposed to showing actual highlights.

During the summer "Quick Pitch" on MLBN was my preferred show when getting ready in the morning. All highlights, no debate, hot host. That's how you do a sport show  ;)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »
I find all of FS1 to be sophomoric so far and a waste of time.

I never thought I'd say this, but FS1 should have went after Olbermann. I doubt he would have went to Fox (not making this political), but I acutally enjoy his show on ESPN2. I think that's what FS1 should have went after, a concept like that.

Be interesting in a year or two when Fox throws a blank check Bill Simmons way and says "fill it in with whatever amount you want".

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 04:08:07 PM »

I never thought I'd say this, but FS1 should have went after Olbermann. I doubt he would have went to Fox (not making this political), but I acutally enjoy his show on ESPN2. I think that's what FS1 should have went after, a concept like that.

Be interesting in a year or two when Fox throws a blank check Bill Simmons way and says "fill it in with whatever amount you want".

I don't know that he would go to FOX and not for political reasons either.  I recall him telling a story once on Countdown about when he worked for Fox Sports and he said how well it reflected the poor ethics of the company as a whole (or something along those lines) and how it continued to this day in its news arm.

Something about he got word from non-FOX sources that FOX was going to sell the LA Dodgers.  He would have been the first to break the story and he knew it would be a very big sports story.  He felt if he reported there may have been a conflict issue since he worked for Fox Sports and he didn't want anyone to think the info came straight from the inside, so he went to his bosses first to state what information he had, that it didn't orignate from anyone inside FOX, and if it was OK if he broke the story.  He got the OK and he broke the story.  Supposedly Murdoch found out went balistic and he was soon released from Fox Sports.  He was very ticked because he followed journalistic standards.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »

Olbermann is a good example of what FS1 should have done. Intelligent commentary and some fun mixed with highlights.

Of course, that good is offset by the idiocy and inane banter from Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless. But I guess when you are ESPN, you can be expected to have the best show and the worst

brandx

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
Agree completely with both of these posts. The reason that viewers are tuning away from ESPN is because it's all "expert analysis," debating topics to death and talking about what's going to happen next, as opposed to showing actual highlights.

During the summer "Quick Pitch" on MLBN was my preferred show when getting ready in the morning. All highlights, no debate, hot host. That's how you do a sport show  ;)

And MLB Tonite on the MLB Network is the best baseball show on air. Good hosts and lots of highlights and look-ins. They were able to look at Baseball Tonight on ESPN and improve it.

It will be interesting to see what fS1 develops as far as baseball coverage. If they want any MLB contract down the road, they will have to have top notch baseball coverage first.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 07:02:31 PM »

He used to work for FOX Sports Net for 4 years and then on MLB On Fox after that

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
I recall, I meant more so today.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 11:18:43 PM »
Pretty fair take on FS1 so far.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/september/where-is-fox-sports-1-after-one-month.html

Agree, fair take.  It's early, but one thing they in jeopardy of is losing out on some big dollars.  To get carriage, they basically had to cave the final weeks in August or risk not being carried by just about everyone not named Comcast.  So they agreed to give the Speed channel rates which are much lower than what they would like to be at.  The danger for them is the ratings continue to be really low for a long period of time and they won't get their big pay day next year that they are hoping for from all the television distributors.  Growing pains or not, that is going to be in the back of their minds pretty soon and the distributors are going to leverage those poor ratings to the hilt.

brandx

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:31 PM »
Agree, fair take.  It's early, but one thing they in jeopardy of is losing out on some big dollars.  To get carriage, they basically had to cave the final weeks in August or risk not being carried by just about everyone not named Comcast.  So they agreed to give the Speed channel rates which are much lower than what they would like to be at.  The danger for them is the ratings continue to be really low for a long period of time and they won't get their big pay day next year that they are hoping for from all the television distributors.  Growing pains or not, that is going to be in the back of their minds pretty soon and the distributors are going to leverage those poor ratings to the hilt.

Good post Chicos. They need to get to a position to demand more from cable companies. ESPN perfected their dual income stream model (advertising revenue and cable income), but it was just a few pennies from cable companies early UNTIL they got content where they could demand more. Your correct that Fox will get serious pushback when they want to increase cable rates.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 11:55:07 PM »
Does FS1 have MLB starting next year? At the end of the day, it will take live content. Some may scoff, and the price was probably too high, but Fox losing the Premier League was a blow to a company trying to grow sports networks, and if they can't add at least some legit live (NASCAR, MLB, NHL, NBA) pro sports, I think this will continue to be an uphill slog.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 12:09:52 AM »
Does FS1 have MLB starting next year? At the end of the day, it will take live content. Some may scoff, and the price was probably too high, but Fox losing the Premier League was a blow to a company trying to grow sports networks, and if they can't add at least some legit live (NASCAR, MLB, NHL, NBA) pro sports, I think this will continue to be an uphill slog.

Yes, they have MLB but distributors can actually opt out of carrying the games and just black them out rather than paying the add on MLB fee.  It's complicated, but those rights exist and some carriers could take advantage of them.  In essence this means a distributor would have FS1, but not carry the MLB content to avoid paying the MLB surcharge (which isn't cheap), thus saving costs but also preventing FS1 from bolstering their ratings, etc.  It's complicated, but that's the high level.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:21 AM »
If I were FS1, I'd make a call to Kilborn.

Part of the problem with FS1 is there's no signature guy. Kilborn at least brings a name, personality, and would pique some interest.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
If I were FS1, I'd make a call to Kilborn.

Part of the problem with FS1 is there's no signature guy. Kilborn at least brings a name, personality, and would pique some interest.

FS1 is branding Jay and Dan as their signature guys.
Which for me at least, is waaaayyyyy better than Kilborn.
Most viewers under 30 were in grade school or younger the last time Kilborn did sports (and in high school the last time he did anything relevant).

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »
The college football pre-game show on Saturday morning from 9am to 11am is great!

Hosted by Erin Andrews and Joel Klatt. Also with Petros Papadakis, Mike Pereira & Clay Travis.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 12:07:22 PM »
Most viewers under 30 were in grade school or younger the last time Kilborn did sports (and in high school the last time he did anything relevant).

I get that Jay and Dan are supposed to be their signature guys, but for me, that's part of the problem. They're just guys. I'm not suggesting Kilborn is the be all end all either, but he's the biggest "name" that is at least available that I know of.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 12:25:45 PM »
I get that Jay and Dan are supposed to be their signature guys, but for me, that's part of the problem. They're just guys. I'm not suggesting Kilborn is the be all end all either, but he's the biggest "name" that is at least available that I know of.

I'm not sure Kilborn's name resonates with anyone over under 40, at least not as a sports broadcaster.
I wouldn't think bringing a former ESPN guy out of mothballs and making him your signature guy is the best way to build an identity as something other than ESPN.
I've enjoyed Jay and Dan the times I've caught them, but perhaps they're an acquired taste.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:54:25 PM by Pakuni »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »
I'm not sure Kilborn's name resonates with anyone over 40, at least not as a sports broadcaster.
I wouldn't think bringing a former ESPN guy out of mothballs and making him your signature guy is the best way to build an identity as something other than ESPN.
I've enjoyed Jay and Dan the times I've caught them, but perhaps they're an acquired taste.

Fair assessment, can't argue that, and probably more right on than I thought.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »
I'm 27 and I would love Kilbourn to be back in the fold.

Extremely underrated.

brandx

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 01:07:18 PM »

So pretty much as many young viewers know Kilborn as know Jay & Dan.

I tried their show several times - but it's just a show - compares in no way to Olbermann. (Of course Keith will crash & burn in 2 - 3 years just like he always has.)

FS1 was looking to create something new - but it was ESPN that actually did it, probably is response to the FS1 threat. A perfect combination of sports issues and highlights.

As an example, last night there were 2 great "issues" pieces. One on the greed of MLB relating to caps (not allowing teams to wear caps to honor  someone in special circumstances such as FDNY or in this weeks case - Navy hats by the Nats - because they don't own rights so there is no money to be made. The second was on money available to CFB players from alumni, boosters, etc. Combine these with highlights and you have the best show around now. Better than SportsCenter and better than FS Live.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »
I'm 27 and I would love Kilbourn to be back in the fold.

Extremely underrated.

You were 10 the last time Kilborn did sports. Were you even allowed up late enough to watch Sportscenter?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »
You were 10 the last time Kilborn did sports. Were you even allowed up late enough to watch Sportscenter?

Sportscenter was only on late?

Also, huge fan of Kilbourn's LLS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 01:22:13 PM »

No, but Kilborn mostly hosted the late edition.

Regardless, I still don't think the best way for FS! to brand itself an alternative to ESPN is to trot out a guy who left ESPN 17 years ago (because he didn't want to be a sports anchor) and make him your signature sports anchor. Nothing against Kilborn.

brandx

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »

Was also great on the Daily Show before Stewart.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
The college football pre-game show on Saturday morning from 9am to 11am is great!

Hosted by Erin Andrews and Joel Klatt. Also with Petros Papadakis, Mike Pereira & Clay Travis.

Clay Travis is the worst

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 05:11:21 PM »
Clay Travis is the worst

In a field featuring Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith?
That's unpossible.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »
No, but Kilborn mostly hosted the late edition.

Regardless, I still don't think the best way for FS! to brand itself an alternative to ESPN is to trot out a guy who left ESPN 17 years ago (because he didn't want to be a sports anchor) and make him your signature sports anchor. Nothing against Kilborn.

17 years ago is a lifetime in broadcasting. 

That being said, I think their current hosts are fine.  That sports panel is simply stupid.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »
I've caught a couple episodes of Crowd Goes Wild, and the show needs to get rid of Regis asap. It's not as bad as I thought, and today Philbin was gone, and it was much better. Katie Nolan has star potential.