collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: About Those IU Fans ..  (Read 8846 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
About Those IU Fans ..
« on: January 15, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »
The announcers for the IU/UW game just keep lying.  They keep insisting that IU fans show in big numbers no matter what.

Well lets hop in the way back machine ... to 2009 ...

------------------

Economy won't play larger role
February 11, 2009

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3897386

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA promises not to bust a budget or a bracket when March Madness arrives.

The recession has some schools scrambling to fill budget holes and seats.

Last month, The Associated Press reported Stanford University projects a $5 million shortfall over the next three years and is considering reducing its staff. At Indiana, athletic director Fred Glass has reduced ticket costs for balcony seating to $5, hoping to improve slipping attendance.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/preview2012/story/_/id/8576032/indiana-hoosiers-ready-see-match-lofty-expectations-season-men-college-basketball

-------------------

and this to confirm it ...........

--------------------

Indiana enjoying its return to the top
November 5, 2012

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/preview2012/story/_/id/8576032/indiana-hoosiers-ready-see-match-lofty-expectations-season-men-college-basketball

Where once the athletic department offered upper-deck tickets for $5 to fill Assembly Hall, home games now have long been sold out. Where once disillusioned students accounted for only 4,000 tickets, they now take 12,000 seats.

-------------------

IU fans are like everywhere else, they only show when they are good.  When they suck, like three years ago, the vaunted upper-deck they are praising today is empty.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:41:03 PM by AnotherMU84 »

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: About Those IU Fans ..
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »
Timing of post during their beloved Indiana team playing means that Equalizer and Chicos will not respond straight away to this one.

But expecting long winded replies to this post......

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »
Timing of post during their beloved Indiana team playing means that Equalizer and Chicos will not respond straight away to this one.

But expecting long winded replies to this post......

Hoopaloop might respond though.

Shocker that Hoopaloop has not posted on MUScoop since Chicosbailbonds has been allowed to return to posting.  But they're not the same people... ::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:52:35 PM »

Shocker that Hoopaloop has not posted on MUScoop since Chicosbailbonds has been allowed to return to posting.  But they're not the same people... ::)

Hey/they havent been on since this morning.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:53:56 PM »

Say what you want, it is a great atmosphere tonight.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:56:07 PM »
Just saw a "Ken Nunn loves IU basketball" ad on the scorer's table. I thought it was a pass at Kendrick...I guess he's just a personal injury lawyer in Bloomington

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
Say what you want, it is a great atmosphere tonight.

But that's not what they are saying.  They are telling us it was the same in 2009 when IU was 6-21.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59:18 AM »

I'm pretty sure mods banned Hoop months before CBB came back.

Here's how I believe that went...

CBB was a poster here. Hoopaloop was a different poster here. They became friends.

CBB got banned. Hoopaloop shared his user info with CBB. They both began to post under the Hoop account.

Hoop got banned for allowing a banned member to use his account.

CBB was later allowed back. Hoop is still banned for allowing CBB to post under his account.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 07:23:55 AM »
Announcers used a cliche during a broadcast and more people go to games when a team is good.  Can we just lock this before it turns into an embarrassing five page piss fest?

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 07:53:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure mods banned Hoop months before CBB came back.

Here's how I believe that went...

CBB was a poster here. Hoopaloop was a different poster here. They became friends.

CBB got banned. Hoopaloop shared his user info with CBB. They both began to post under the Hoop account.

Hoop got banned for allowing a banned member to use his account.

CBB was later allowed back. Hoop is still banned for allowing CBB to post under his account.
Teal?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 08:30:27 AM »
Dakich really, really tries to be balanced when he does IU games.  (For those who don't know, he played and coached at IU under Knight.)  And by and large I think he does a good job.  However he does say things, like about the attendance, and the William Tell Overture, where I roll my eyes. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 11:09:47 PM »

Not the same people, that's already been proven.  But you are going to believe what you believe.

I didn't even know about the IU game until tonight, I've been traveling (on an airplane as I type this) and was tied up past midnight last night celebrating with colleagues something else.  When I saw the score today I told a colleague "Bo Ryan owns Tom Crean"

IU does well for attendance...it's a tough place to play.  Some of my best college basketball memories at MU for some epic games with large crowds, but also at IU and at Phogg Allen Fieldhouse.  Been blessed to be at some pretty good basketball schools over the years.

Carry on Wade....life is short...but carry on

eagleinindy10

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »
mu fan first, iu second. indiana doesn't sell out when the team is crap, but they do stay in pretty respectable company.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2010.pdf

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 11:00:54 PM »

eagleinindy10

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
not saying assembly was anything close to what it is now in 09, but one spot behind michigan state when you're 6-25? doesnt seem to shabby.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 11:26:15 AM »
This is the stupidest topic ever.  Unless Dakich said that IU was selling out every game in 2009 and 2010, he was not lying.  IU finished 16th and 11th in total attendance those years, filling Assenbly Hall to 82% capacity in 2009 and 88% capacity in 2010.  That, to me, is big time attendance numbers and "IU fans showing up in big numbers no matter what."  Not sure how you can argue differently.  Just because IU had to lower ticket prices doesn't mean people didn't show up, as the actual attendance numbers bear out.  Again, I am just responding to how AnotherMU framed it in the OP.  I didn't hear what Dakich actually said.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:28:04 AM by dwaderoy2004 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 02:27:54 PM »
This is the stupidest topic ever.  Unless Dakich said that IU was selling out every game in 2009 and 2010, he was not lying.  IU finished 16th and 11th in total attendance those years, filling Assenbly Hall to 82% capacity in 2009 and 88% capacity in 2010.  That, to me, is big time attendance numbers and "IU fans showing up in big numbers no matter what."  Not sure how you can argue differently.  Just because IU had to lower ticket prices doesn't mean people didn't show up, as the actual attendance numbers bear out.  Again, I am just responding to how AnotherMU framed it in the OP.  I didn't hear what Dakich actually said.

See the link above ... tickets were $5 on 2010 and 2011.  Cost more to park your car than attend the game.  See the link above again, they also lost 2/3s of the students section in those years.

Again all I'm saying is IU is no different than anywhere else ... put out a crap product and no one shows up.  Nothing surprising about that.  What is surprising is Dakich trying to say the atmosphere against Bucky earlier this week was the same in 2009 when they went 6-21.  Don't insult me.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »
No one shows up!?  They were 11th and 16th in attendance in 2009 and 2010!  You're nitpicking for the sake of it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »

Agree. 

I'm glad you mentioned capacity, because that is the key part here.  Assembly Hall only holds 17,500.  It's also Bloomington, Indiana with the closest "big" city about 1 hour away.  Now, certainly plenty of alumni make the drive down routinely, but it's not as if there is 1.5M people in the immediate Bloomington metro area to draw from like MU has from Milwaukee.

As stated, I've had some terrific experiences at the Bradley Center, AH in Bloomington, PA in Lawrence, PP at UCLA, the Pit in ABQ, etc.  When joints are rocking, it's a good experience wherever you're at.  Some joints rock more than others. Some have too high of expectations and they have trouble hitting the high notes anymore (UCLA is one that comes to mind).  Winning, sometimes, breeds complacement.  Then again, losing often keeps fans away entirely, especially if you are making an hour drive from Indy to watch your team get destroyed with basically one or two legitimate D1 players on it.  That shouldn't be surprising.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 06:33:52 PM »
Don't insult me.

You're calling people liars when they didn't lie.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »

Canadian Dimes hasn't poster either....I guess I must be him.   ::)

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 10:03:09 PM »
Hell, I only personally post about 1/2 of all my posts.  I hire a staff to do the rest of my posts. Right now for example... not even me.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 10:06:07 PM »
Canadian Dimes hasn't poster either....I guess I must be him.   ::)

Weird, I seem to remember Hoop bringing up month old posts for no reason at all...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »
Just what in F*** ALL does attendance at Indiana basketball games
have ANYTHING to do with Marquette basketball?

feedback