[Today at 04:38:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Loyola NCAA  (Read 3844 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Loyola NCAA
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »
The Ramblers beat Wardle's Bradley team yesterday (nice rebuild) and play ISU today for the MVC autobid.  Loyola's coach, Porter Moser, is a Rick Majerus disciple, and an ex-ISU coach.  This is a nice article on Moser's friendship with Rick.

Go Ramblers!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-loyola-porter-moser-rick-majerus-20180301-story,amp.html

skianth16

• All American
Re: Loyola NCAA
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »
If Loyola loses today and doesn't get the auto-bid, do they have a realistic shot at am at large bid? Their SOS at 125 is pretty bad, but having an RPI in the 25-30 range if they lose today is going to look good to the committee. I would think they'd have a good chance to get an at large, but some of those bad losses may come back to haunt them.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:25:54 PM »
If Loyola loses today and doesn't get the auto-bid, do they have a realistic shot at am at large bid? Their SOS at 125 is pretty bad, but having an RPI in the 25-30 range if they lose today is going to look good to the committee. I would think they'd have a good chance to get an at large, but some of those bad losses may come back to haunt them.

Didn't they win an NCAA championship in the sixties?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
Dancin' for the first time since 1985.  Fantastic!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »

Didn't they win an NCAA championship in the sixties?

'63, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 07:50:06 AM »
Loyola to the BE?
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 08:09:49 AM »
Loyola to the BE?

Maybe we can swap out DePaul.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 08:10:15 AM »
 Porter Moser is going to be on high major short lists for coaching replacements this offseason.     
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:44:20 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
My gratitude to Loyola for winning the conference tournament and eliminating any chance of that increasingly bad conference getting 2 bids.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
My gratitude to Loyola for winning the conference tournament and eliminating any chance of that increasingly bad conference getting 2 bids.

In the grand scheme of things, the MVC is a pretty decent mid-major.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 08:35:07 AM »
In the grand scheme of things, the MVC is a pretty decent mid-major.

Maybe when Wichita and Creighton were there and N Iowa has an occasional good year but this is not one of those years where it's a decent conference
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:40:45 AM »
It's #8 in conference RPI ahead of the Mountain West (which is very down this year), the MAC and the A10.

The conference that has really fallen off is the A10.  Rhode Island and St. Bonaventure will get bids this year, but much of that conference is just a steaming pile of crap.

Which of course gives me an excuse to link to this.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=34539.msg422884#msg422884

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:49:25 AM »
It's #8 in conference RPI ahead of the Mountain West (which is very down this year), the MAC and the A10.

The conference that has really fallen off is the A10.  Rhode Island and St. Bonaventure will get bids this year, but much of that conference is just a steaming pile of crap.

I wish we'd play dayton again only to see him come back on the board and make a fool of himself
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »

Nice find.  Thrilled that rant was in response to me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »

That is effen precious, sultan. I love that!

I'm willing to give the MVC a slight upgrade based on your evidence. I'll switch from "bad" to "aspiring for mediocrity."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
What was so funny about it wasn't just how wrong UDPride was, but how quickly he was wrong. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »
That post aged brilliantly. Plus, with no expansion in sight Dayton can go ahead and rot in the A10.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:07:36 AM by ChitownHagans »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
That post aged brilliantly. Plus, with no expansion in sight Dayton I can go ahead and rot in the A10.

As can everyone else.  The BEast is a nearly perfect creation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »
It sure would be fun if he came back and tried to defend it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
Maybe we can swap out DePaul.
I'm all for it

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 01:48:16 PM »
UDPride

If you think schools are going to "beat a path to your door" for the privilege of insecurity, instability, no TV contract, no conference tournament, and the chance many of those same schools in a newfangled conference bolt once again as soon as they see something better, I want the same liquor you are drinking. 

You wont be raiding the A10, but the A10 might raid you -- if you're that fortunate. The A10 is stability in a sea of chaos. They have no reason or urgency to leave. More money wont put them over the top because theyve been stretching a dollar all their lives. That's their normal. They are used to making the Big Dance on a shoestring budget -- and have done quite well for themselves.

If you believe all the BE basketball schools have to do is yell "jump", and the A10 schools will respond with "How high?", you are seriously over-estimating your negotiating position in this giant mess.  The A10 schools have the high ground.  They dont NEED you. They might want you, but NEEDING and WANTING are two entirely different things. You NEED the A10 schools however if you cut bait with football. Big difference.

While you guys were sitting around counting the checks the last 6-7 years, the A10 was busy trying to position themselves as the best basketball-only conference. They never tried to be something they were not. They didn't sit still. They added Butler and VCU and St. Louis.  They never twiddled thumbs waiting on conference collapses to snag a Georgetown.

Five years ago, some of the A10 schools might have listened to your plea to form a new hoops only league. But you were too busy counting benjamins. That ship has sailed, my friend. There may or may not be a collective empowerment between the Big East and A10, but if there is, it will be on the A10's terms.

The A10 has the luxury of doing nothing and remaining relevant, secure, stable, and collectively united among all of its member institutions in a common goal.  Unfortunately, you don't have that option. Your re-invention requires a lifeboat someone else must provide. And when someone else provides it, its not your position to demand hot towels and a wine list.

The Big East name means nothing now. The value was not in the name, but the value of the institutions within it. That's gone now. With Barclays Arena committed to the A10, MSG is no longer the carrot it once was. And history? History is for historians.  That and a cup of coffee won't get you far, and it certainly won't get you into the BIG12 or ACC as a basketball-only member -- as some delusional fans on here are trying to talk themselves into.

Many of you are right in this sense: you are second class citizens in the Big East and have been for years. You cashed the paychecks, but were otherwise red-headed stepchildren. Your say never counted at the board meetings and you were to be seen and not heard. Football drove the bus and basketball was back-burner.  But you should have seen this coming a long time ago. You waited far too long. Instead of being proactive and guaranteeing your own autonomy, nothing mattered as long as the checks didnt bounce. From the very beginning you never had a hand on the wheel -- and no conference should ever be run without all hands steering together in the same direction.

The A10 has always had that luxury. And member institutions are not in any hurry to jump ship in 50-foot seas when the boat ain't leaking. It might not be the fastest or prettiest ship on the high seas, but she's not foundering, and that's quite impressive given the current climate.

If you truly believe you hold the cards, why the panic?  Nobody in the A10 is panicking. Your stress level tells me all I need to know about where the leverage really is.

This needed to be posted for the lazy who don't want to click links.  UDPride, goodnight!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 01:56:07 PM »
That post aged brilliantly. Plus, with no expansion in sight Dayton can go ahead and rot in the A10.
The A10 -- the only conference with THREE teams with the same nickname?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
The A10 -- the only conference with THREE teams with the same nickname?

SEC has three Tigers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 03:54:22 PM »
That UD Pride post was classic stupidity.  Thanks for the laugh, Sultan.

And I agree with the proposal to swap DePaul for Loyola.  All in favor?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 05:10:56 PM »
Dancin' for the first time since 1985.  Fantastic!

I was a grad student there last time Loyola made the dance. Had Alfredrick Hughes!

feedback