[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Would you like to see Marquette bring back football?

Yes
28 (41.8%)
No
28 (41.8%)
Don't Care
11 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Bring back Marquette football  (Read 9729 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Bring back Marquette football
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 07:47:04 AM »
The only concern I have with hockey is where do they practice?  Where do the Admirals practice?

I honestly don't see the point of adding it.  It would cost more than it would bring in.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
The only concern I have with hockey is where do they practice?  Where do the Admirals practice?

I honestly don't see the point of adding it.  It would cost more than it would bring in.

They practice at the BC, i've seen them walking out of the BC when I was getting ready to go to the game.
and how do you know it'll cost more? or is that just old man grump getting to you?

McMARQthy

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 04:42:13 PM »
All I know that is if we are going to start a new hockey team we need a new coach.  I have emailed him every year asking when tryouts/practice is and no response ever.  Not to mention that I've him told what types of teams I've played for in the past and in comparison to the players they have now, I'm fairly certain I could skate circles around half the players currently on the team.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »
All I know that is if we are going to start a new hockey team we need a new coach.  I have emailed him every year asking when tryouts/practice is and no response ever.  Not to mention that I've him told what types of teams I've played for in the past and in comparison to the players they have now, I'm fairly certain I could skate circles around half the players currently on the team.

?

Are you referring to a club/intramural team at MU?  If so, I am fairly certain they would do that.  And thanks for letting all of us know about your skillz.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »
logistics aside, we are in a great state to get a program started. Since there is no D-2, we would instantly be the number 2 school in the state. I had friends who have been great d-3 players who wanted to go to MU but instead chose another school because of football. We could fatten up on those and nuild some momentum and hopefully be a respectable program.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 09:05:08 PM »
  NFL Development League already exists.  See: Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears.

From that, I'm going to infer that you enjoy braiding your golden locks and love looking like a grape.

;)
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 09:56:03 PM »
They practice at the BC, i've seen them walking out of the BC when I was getting ready to go to the game.
and how do you know it'll cost more? or is that just old man grump getting to you?

No, I just don't see why it would be popular.  Milwaukee really isn't a hockey town.  Not like Boston, which is a huge hockey town and can support both an NHL team and multiple college teams.  I mean, the Admirals don't draw one bit.  And I'm not sure there is much clamor for it amongst the alumni.  It would be a fringe sport played in front of sparse crowds.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 10:00:15 PM »
logistics aside, we are in a great state to get a program started. Since there is no D-2, we would instantly be the number 2 school in the state. I had friends who have been great d-3 players who wanted to go to MU but instead chose another school because of football. We could fatten up on those and nuild some momentum and hopefully be a respectable program.

If Marquette was really serious about doing this, their first step should probably be the Division 1, non-scholarship route like Dayton and Butler.  They play in the Pioneer League that is made up of a number of schools that are Division 1, but don't want the costs of the scholarships that come with football.  Those teams would generally get wiped by D3 programs like Whitewater and Mount Union though.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »

No, I just don't see why it would be popular.  Milwaukee really isn't a hockey town.  Not like Boston, which is a huge hockey town and can support both an NHL team and multiple college teams.  I mean, the Admirals don't draw one bit.  And I'm not sure there is much clamor for it amongst the alumni.  It would be a fringe sport played in front of sparse crowds.

+1

In regards to fringe sports, I watched the MU/Nova game with a Nova fan, and he said there is little to no support for the football team there, and they just won a NCAA Div. 1-AA championship.  Couple thousand at each game, and little to no support from alums.  Not to say MU would be the same, it just seems it would be a huge financial drain and risk, especially in these economic times.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 09:59:48 AM »
why build a stadium when Miller Park is right down the street?  I realize it is not ideal, but the Packers used to play in County Stadium.

oh, Chicos just said MP.

I once asked Wendy Selig-Prieb at a season ticketholder luncheon back in 2001 if it was possible that we'd ever see a pre-season Packer game at Miller Park or perhaps a Canadian Football Team (which was rumored to be considering non-Canadian expansion options at the time).  Her response was that Miller Park was designed specifically for baseball and that a football layout was not possible within the dimensions of the park.

Of course, it's completely possible that MP can hold football and she was making stuff up... she was awfully good at that.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.