'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Darin Horn?  (Read 4671 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Darin Horn?
« on: April 15, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
Anyone think that had the whole thing with Crean happened a couple of weeks earlier, that Darin Horn would have been our new head coach?
We Are Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Darin Horn?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:02:59 PM »
Anyone think that had the whole thing with Crean happened a couple of weeks earlier, that Darin Horn would have been our new head coach?

Yes...and many people would be very happy campers as a result.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

Yes...and many people would be very happy campers as a result.

I would have been very happy had that happened.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 04:19:54 PM »
Not sure if it had to be weeks earlier... if it was just 24 hours earlier, he would have probably been our next coach based on Rosiak's blog.  Pointless speculation at this point... Buzz is our coach.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

jos7287

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »
Frick any other coach, buzz is my boy and I have faith in him.  Like I said in another post, even if he is behind the learning curve, he has an extremely talented and experienced team to help carry him his first year.  I am thinking he should be able to make some real progress stepping into next season. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »
If MU hired horn, people would be bitching that we got a guy from a sun belt school (should have gotten a bigger name from a bigger school) and would be bitching b/c he was a crean assistant and why let Tom influence the administration's decision to hire one of his guys to the coaching position.

(and I know that he had some success in the tournament this year, which amounts to being a low-mid major with a upperclassman led team.)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:58:32 AM »
People would bitch either way.  Lets fess up.

Crean COULD NOT recruit big guys.  Even after Wade, no one with talent over 6'7 wanted to come here.  Buzz comes in and three months later, we get a 6'10+ kid coming in.  Crean left and dude is still committed.  Taylor and Williams bailing is pretty typical.  Marquette fans are not the only ones in the "BUZZ WILLIAMS?" club.  These guys are top prospects and are afraid things are going stuck in a crappy program and wave (what those cocky guys think) millions of dollars away.  I PRAY Buzz can coach because based Otule, Folce, and Erik Williams the boy can separate himself from the pack.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 08:03:19 AM »
If MU hired horn, people would be bitching that we got a guy from a sun belt school (should have gotten a bigger name from a bigger school) and would be bitching b/c he was a crean assistant and why let Tom influence the administration's decision to hire one of his guys to the coaching position.

(and I know that he had some success in the tournament this year, which amounts to being a low-mid major with a upperclassman led team.)

People would bitch about hiring a guy that was on MU's Final Four staff and just led Western Kentucky to the Sweet 16 and gave UCLA fits?  Hmmm, I doubt it

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:06:09 AM »
Darrin Horn had more relevant experience when he was hired at Western Kentucky than our head coach does now.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 08:24:35 AM »

People would bitch about hiring a guy that was on MU's Final Four staff and just led Western Kentucky to the Sweet 16 and gave UCLA fits?  Hmmm, I doubt it

I disagree completely.

If there has one thing we have seen over the years, it's that you can't please everybody and there will always be a group of fans that bitch.

Some people bitched about Crean the entire time, and that guy lifted MU to heights not seen in a long time.

If Horn was hired we'd hear the following:

"Crean still controls MU"
"If we were going with a Crean assistant, why not go with Buzz... at least he knows the current players and can recruit"
"Horn doesn't have enough experience in a big conference, let's get Tony Bennett."
Etc. etc.

Unless Zombie McGuire walked through the door... fans would bitch.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
I guess in the end it doesn't matter. Buzz Williams is our coach. He has my full support until I have reason to feel otherwise. Good luck to him. Go MU!
We Are Marquette

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 08:34:15 AM »
In the end, it doesn't matter. Buzz is the guy. But...college coaching gigs are ridiculous that way. One game/moment separates the fate of soo many programs.

If MU loses to KY in round one, is Crean at IU?
If WKU loses in round one, is Horn offered the gig?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 09:40:52 AM »
If Horn was the first choice over Bennett or Miller, yes you are right there would be bitching. 

If he was the 3rd choice, I doubt people would be upset.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »
If Horn was the first choice over Bennett or Miller, yes you are right there would be bitching. 

If he was the 3rd choice, I doubt people would be upset.

I hope/wish you were right... but I just don't see it.

I guess we are on opposite sides... now I'm the pessimistic one and you are the optimist.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 09:56:10 AM »

I disagree completely.

If there has one thing we have seen over the years, it's that you can't please everybody and there will always be a group of fans that bitch.

Some people bitched about Crean the entire time, and that guy lifted MU to heights not seen in a long time.

If Horn was hired we'd hear the following:

"Crean still controls MU"
"If we were going with a Crean assistant, why not go with Buzz... at least he knows the current players and can recruit"
"Horn doesn't have enough experience in a big conference, let's get Tony Bennett."
Etc. etc.

Unless Zombie McGuire walked through the door... fans would bitch.

Are you kidding me?  No f'ing way can we have zombie al taking over this team.  Think about his style of play do you think he can adjust to coaching a team where you are shorter at every position on the floor in one year?  Has he been getting satalite wired into his coffin for the last years so he could keep up on teams and tactics?  It would be a disaster for at least the first two years and by that time he'll have bitten some kid and we'll be surrounding the Al carring torches chanting for his head.

Horn would have been fantastic, he's going to end up doing great things.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 11:44:45 AM »
funny post, 'Dog', but zombie Al would adjust (probably the best game coach ever- seldom paid any attention to practices, had little to do w/ game strategies) by half time of the first game and 'let slip the dogs of war' on whomever the poor saps were we were playing.  Only prob I see is the game clock- he never had one.

Put me down for a huge Horn fan- he was my vociferously-demanded replacement for Crean before this all went down.

feedback