[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I know its an MU tradition but  (Read 4033 times)

Marquette65

• Starter
I know its an MU tradition but
« on: December 13, 2008, 03:33:14 PM »
can some one make a foul shot?   Our inability is absolutely going to kill us at the wrong time.

Also, can some one remind this team, that when they jack up 3s, we don't play well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: I know its an MU tradition but
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 03:55:03 PM »
can some one make a foul shot?   Our inability is absolutely going to kill us at the wrong time.

Also, can some one remind this team, that when they jack up 3s, we don't play well.

Oh come on now, shooting 56.3% from the line isn't that bad.  You know, it's like riding a bicycle, you never really forget.

4 of our last 5 games now we're shooting below 65% from the line.  At least we're getting hot.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 04:41:24 PM »
Oh come on now, shooting 56.3% from the line isn't that bad.  You know, it's like riding a bicycle, you never really forget.

4 of our last 5 games now we're shooting below 65% from the line.  At least we're getting hot.

Only had 16 free throw attempts today and 10 of them were from probably our two worst free throw shooters in Burke and DJ so I don't think there is anything to be alarmed about at this point in time but nice dig, its become very expected from you. 

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:47:12 PM »
Nice that you state that our All-BE point guard, is one of our worst foul shooters.  Gee,  if in a close game(s), I guess he won't be fouled because he is one on MU's all time greats?  Great players make their foul shots.  Need more from DJ if this tean is going any where this year.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »
o.k., I think this argument has been won.  This team needs to practice free throws.  I hope Buzz reads this thread and takes it to heart. 

I also think this team needs to take better care of the basketball.

I think this team will go places if it can make the free throws at crunch time and has a significant positive turnover ratio.  These are things the team can work on.  Complaining about their lack of height won't make this team any better.   

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
I've come to agree with Buzz.   Practice a butt load of em outside of official practice.  Don't cut into official time.  If the guys aren't putting in the time on their own then there's a problem but I don't think that's what is going on.    If it is then there is a problem. 

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »
I've come to agree with Buzz.   Practice a butt load of em outside of official practice.  Don't cut into official time.  If the guys aren't putting in the time on their own then there's a problem but I don't think that's what is going on.    If it is then there is a problem. 

Ditto. I'm pretty sure that Buzz isn't practicing other fundamentals like dribbling or passing.  Personally, I'd prefer perfecting our offensive skills as a whole.  But i have nothing against challenging the team to take 100 foul shots/day or so, or making like 10 in a row after the end of practice.  It isn't really constructive to practice individual improvements during team practices.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 05:45:27 PM »

I'm shocked.  Marquette65 complaining, at least this time it isn't about Tyshawn Taylor. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 06:18:54 PM »
Only had 16 free throw attempts today and 10 of them were from probably our two worst free throw shooters in Burke and DJ so I don't think there is anything to be alarmed about at this point in time but nice dig, its become very expected from you. 

I'm sorry if I expect a senior laden team to shoot a respectable rate from the line.  I don't think this is an unrealistic expectation.  Their overall season totals are good, but as of late it's been shaky.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:42:50 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 11:24:03 PM »
I'm sorry if I expect a senior laden team to shoot a respectable rate from the line. 

Oh... so a year or two of experience makes free throw shooters?  Even in the NBA, where players are paid millions yet still are unable to shoot free throws as well as your average 8th grader, do not improve with 'experience'.  I don't believe having three seniors that have been long-time starters means they should be good free throw shooters.

If someone has stats, though, I'd be very interested --- free throw shooting, by year... not talking Marquette, but college ball overall.  Especially for 4-year players... junior vs senior year.  Is there anything of interest percentage-wise?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

nola03

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 08:56:32 AM »
  Oh... so a year or two of experience makes free throw shooters?  Even in the NBA, where players are paid millions yet still are unable to shoot free throws as well as your average 8th grader, do not improve with 'experience'.  I don't believe having three seniors that have been long-time starters means they should be good free throw shooters.

If someone has stats, though, I'd be very interested --- free throw shooting, by year... not talking Marquette, but college ball overall.  Especially for 4-year players... junior vs senior year.  Is there anything of interest percentage-wise?

I think Chicos is referring more to the mental state of the free throw. The main defense against poor free throw shooting is that it's a mental issue and you simply have to be tough when you get to the line therefore not needing to use practice time on it.

In this case, Chicos is probably thinking that a Senior-laden team should have the mental fortitude not to succumb to the trap of letting a missed free throw affect the next free throw whereas the last few games it seems that players are affected by the misses.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 09:48:57 AM »
Burke and James can practice all they waant and it is not going to make a difference. I think in the games we shot well mathews shot a lot of free throws.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »

Well, I expect as you move through the program improvement is made.  Mentally and physically.  And that is especially applicable on something as simple as a free throw.

Wes Matthews has improved his free throw percentage every year at MU.  Jerel McNeal has improved his.  Lazar has taken a slight step back this year, but it's still respectable.  DJ, had improved slightly his FT shooting each year, by about a percentage point.  This year, he has taken a huge step back by almost 20 points.

It's part of the maturity process.  You improve yourself, especially in areas that are so critical to the team's performance. 

And so to answer your question, I suspect most juniors and seniors at MU going through the program stay steady or slightly improve their performance as they get older. 

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 01:48:13 PM »
DJ, had improved slightly his FT shooting each year, by about a percentage point.  This year, he has taken a huge step back by almost 20 points.
older. 

yeah, looking at the stats.  the issue really is DJ.  Others have acceptable or as expected percentages or they haven't taken enough shots to be a meaningful guide.  I hope DJ straightens this issue out by conference time. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »
o.k., I think this argument has been won.  This team needs to practice free throws.  I hope Buzz reads this thread and takes it to heart. 

Are you kidding?  This group has struggled from the line for years and you think you've found the answer, which is to practice them more during Buzz's time with the players?  Don't you think Buzz just might have considered this.  Last year when TC was practicing and they were missing were you calling for more practice???

chapman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 10:47:44 AM »
Well, I expect as you move through the program improvement is made.  Mentally and physically.  And that is especially applicable on something as simple as a free throw.

Wes Matthews has improved his free throw percentage every year at MU.  Jerel McNeal has improved his.  Lazar has taken a slight step back this year, but it's still respectable.  DJ, had improved slightly his FT shooting each year, by about a percentage point.  This year, he has taken a huge step back by almost 20 points.

It's part of the maturity process.  You improve yourself, especially in areas that are so critical to the team's performance. 

And so to answer your question, I suspect most juniors and seniors at MU going through the program stay steady or slightly improve their performance as they get older. 

I agree completely.  It's not that the free throw is something that naturally improves with experience, but it says something about the maturity of the players to work and improve on their foul shooting. 

Looking at the stats, I was actually surprised at some of the solid individual numbers.  We all know Matthews has shown significant improvement, but McNeal has been pretty solid as well.  When Jimmy Butler gets to the line, he's also been very good; and hopefully more opportunities arise once Fulce and Otule come back and he can play in position.  Hayward's shooting is respectable, and really he's about 2 or 3 makes away from last year's percentage; however, based on the numbers I'm looking at he's shooting 5 free throws a game, up from 3.6 last year, and you'd like to see him take full advantage of the opportunity for easy points. 

As far as expectations go, I would agree that James is the outlier.  He's getting to the line but just not converting.  We can't afford for him to shoot like a poor shooting big man when he gets to the line a respectable number of times; I also feel as though his inability to make foul shots affects the rest of his game and the offense as a whole.  There are just way too many situations where having a point guard who makes 48% of his free throws is a burden, because it felt in past years that making in the high-60's was even a limit to his potential.  Sure, it's something that has to be done outside of practice, but if he really is working relentlessly to improve and hasn't, the coaches do need to address it.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 07:49:45 PM »
I agree completely.  It's not that the free throw is something that naturally improves with experience, but it says something about the maturity of the players to work and improve on their foul shooting. 

Looking at the stats, I was actually surprised at some of the solid individual numbers.  We all know Matthews has shown significant improvement, but McNeal has been pretty solid as well.  When Jimmy Butler gets to the line, he's also been very good; and hopefully more opportunities arise once Fulce and Otule come back and he can play in position.  Hayward's shooting is respectable, and really he's about 2 or 3 makes away from last year's percentage; however, based on the numbers I'm looking at he's shooting 5 free throws a game, up from 3.6 last year, and you'd like to see him take full advantage of the opportunity for easy points. 

As far as expectations go, I would agree that James is the outlier.  He's getting to the line but just not converting.  We can't afford for him to shoot like a poor shooting big man when he gets to the line a respectable number of times; I also feel as though his inability to make foul shots affects the rest of his game and the offense as a whole.  There are just way too many situations where having a point guard who makes 48% of his free throws is a burden, because it felt in past years that making in the high-60's was even a limit to his potential.  Sure, it's something that has to be done outside of practice, but if he really is working relentlessly to improve and hasn't, the coaches do need to address it.

I agree.  The maturity thing hits home, especially if you think about Steve Novak and his amazingly high FT%. By the same token, however, one can tend to start overthinking the simple task of a free throw.  Hopefully they can surpass their collective mental slump, our season will depend on it.

feedback