[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Now that we won, what is everyone going to complain about  (Read 21341 times)

strobl2

• Starter
Re: Now that we won, what is everyone going to complain about
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2008, 07:41:53 AM »
True. Yet Dayton is comforted in knowing they have a coach that can motivate a team to over perform. We have not seen that in any (any) game thus far.

We looked pretty motivated last night. I don't get what you are complaining about, we won. It doesn't matter if it looked ugly or not, a win is a win.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »
Man, Knight Commission has to be the most pathetically self-loathing MU fan ever.  Take some Prozac already.  WE WON!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2008, 09:10:15 AM »
This just in: Phillies fans are upset they only beat the Rays by one run in Game 5 of the World Series. ONE RUN? THEY WERE PLAYING AT HOME, DAMMIT.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2008, 09:16:02 AM »
I'd like to complain about Detfan23 even starting this thread.  What's wrong with you son??

;D

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2008, 10:38:38 AM »
Could we shoot better?  Yes.  Could we make more free throws?  Yes.  Was this a great victory?  Yes.  Buzz coached this team to victory tonight.  Period.  We are 7 - 1 which is what we wanted to be when the evening started.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »
I thought, based on the first 7 games, that we were a borderline NCAA team.  I thought UW was a good matchup for us, with our quickness and experience counteracting their relative lack of same.  The win is helpful for our NCAA tournament aspirations, so how could you be anything less than happy about it? 

As for complaints, Burke played what was for him a very good game last night, but if playing B defense and D- offense (he threw in a solid screen or two to save him from an F) constitutes a very good game for our only interior player, we've still got serious issues.  I'm not sure we're better than a borderline NCAA team, but I'm surer than I was yesterday.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2008, 11:20:43 AM »
Perhaps Knight Commission is on to something here.
In fact, I suggest the Marquette administration petition the NCAA to overturn the results of the team's three-point loss at Notre Dame last year. After all, if a three-point win at home = a loss, then logicially a three-point loss on the road = win.
Now, I shall celebrate MU's three-game sweep of the Irish last year. Taste it, Domers!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
we can celebrate, too, advancing to the Sweet Sixteen. Losing to Stanford by one point on the West Coast is actually a win.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2008, 12:40:50 PM »
I thought, based on the first 7 games, that we were a borderline NCAA team.  I thought UW was a good matchup for us, with our quickness and experience counteracting their relative lack of same.  The win is helpful for our NCAA tournament aspirations, so how could you be anything less than happy about it? 

As for complaints, Burke played what was for him a very good game last night, but if playing B defense and D- offense (he threw in a solid screen or two to save him from an F) constitutes a very good game for our only interior player, we've still got serious issues.  I'm not sure we're better than a borderline NCAA team, but I'm surer than I was yesterday.

ok im gonna defend knight commision a bit here. It was a great win and a great atmosphere but i can kinda see where he is coming from. A win is a win, so i dont agree with the winning by 3 isnt a win comment BUT.....

The post above shows that this team is truly underachieving. I had a moment at the bradley yesterday where i looked on the court and wondered, what the heck is going on out here??

What i think he is trying to say is that if theres ever a year where MU should be clearly better than UW its this yr. People, we had 4 guys on the court that are borderline NBA type players. Wisconsin has at best 1 and a bunch of good players, but not the caliber of our guys. MU is better at the 1-4 positions, I think lazar is better than landry. On paper, we are the much better team this season- and this isnt even mentioning playing at home and the seniority factor

So, I do agree with his assessment that the team is underperforming. I feel like people lost confidence with the team after the Dayton loss, and thats why they gave UW a shot. However, with the talent this team has it seems pretty clear that to this point they are underperforming

The good thing is that I think it will change. We cant possible keep shooting as poorly as we have can we?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2008, 12:59:29 PM »

Why should we take this season game by game? These seniors have three years experience, and nearly a sweet 16 in their cap.

Because thats what every team does... take the season game by game.  Why talk about the sweet 16 when we haven't reached conference play yet.  Apparently you've never been in this situation.  Everyone realizes this is a good team, you could say a special team.  However you still take a season game by game, it is what you do. 

You aren't going to blow out a Bo Ryan team unless you shoot ungodly from the 3 point range (see Duke last year)... it just isn't going to happen.  One of Bo Ryan's best coaching skills is that he will always position his team to be in the game at the end, it is just the style of play.  I was happy with any win, whether it be by 1 or 20... this isn't college football we don't need style points.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »
People on this board were bitching like crazy in the first half.  Well look ladies we won the game, now what? 

I didn't get to see the game until this morning, I was busy watching Oscar get mopped up by Manny last night.  A few thoughts.

The Good

1)  Played smart and with a ton of heart.  Burke especially.

2)  Really solid defense without picking up cheap fouls.  Thought Wisconsin didn't expose our weaknesses but that's fine with me

3)  Buzz's 1-3-1 was a nice move.  His substitution patterns much more solid this game.  The man has some hops, also.   :)  He got a few feet off the ground on multiple occasions protesting fouls or what should have been fouls.

4)  McNeal was crazy hot from outside.  He's streaky which is why so many of us hold our breath when he's shooting 3's, but last night they were dropping.

5)  Fulce and Otule will make this team stronger, how much I'm not sure

The Bad

1)  Free throw shooting remains poor.  Down the stretch you have to put games away and we kept going 1 of 2 from the line.  That will come back to bite us

2)  Is UW-Madison very good?  They don't look nearly as good as they have the last few years, at least from what I saw last night.  They didn't play smart, don't have very many scoring threats or people that can break you down off the dribble.  I have my doubts that they will finish in the top 4 of the Big Ten this year.

3)  Other than Acker, I can't remember the bench doing much.  Coobs was pesky on defense for a bit.  Hazel got a board or two, but that was it.  We benefited from Wisconsin's style to allow our big 4 guys to play extended minutes.  Need Fulce back soon.

Overall.  Nice win, big rivalry win, a win that we should have got and did.  Some tough games coming up on the road which will be significant challenges.

Dayton, by the way, moved to 9-0 after beating Akron last night 54-50.

Pardner

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2008, 02:11:41 PM »

The Bad

1)  Free throw shooting remains poor.  Down the stretch you have to put games away and we kept going 1 of 2 from the line.  That will come back to bite us

ha..I was actually thinking of Chicosdamus at the game as we missed alot of front ends.   ;)  I don't think we shot well at all last night--even beyond FT's.  I see that as a positive as it showed we can win at a chug and plug game--mainly by getting to the line.  But I hope Lazar starts to hit a bit more from the outside. 

Let's not forget this game was a statistical draw and played out that way.  Also, Ooze's value  was vastly underestimated. 

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »

1)  Free throw shooting remains poor. 

Which means that MU remains mired in the bottom 14 of the Big East, ahead of only Seton Hall, Connecticut, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, St. John's, Rutgers, Providence, DePaul, Notre Dame, USF, West Virginia, and Cincinnati.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2008, 04:19:07 PM »
Which means that MU remains mired in the bottom 14 of the Big East, ahead of only Seton Hall, Connecticut, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, St. John's, Rutgers, Providence, DePaul, Notre Dame, USF, West Virginia, and Cincinnati.

Nice stat!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2008, 06:00:49 PM »
Moral of the story: Don't drink and post.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2008, 06:11:02 PM »
Would the starting lineup of Acker, Cubillan, Butler, Hazel, and Burke be competitive in the MAC, let alone the BEast?    We have 4 great players and 5 guys who probably couldn't beat the starting 5 of UWM.    What this means is that if one of the 4 tires that makes this hot rod go gets a flat, we are stuck with a donut spare right now.   Can't go over 50 MPH for more than 50 miles.    So there are going to be nights like Dayton when it doesn't work and nights like Saturday when it works perfectly.   The sooner Joe and Chris return, even to just give minutes, fouls and effort, the better for the team.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2008, 06:51:13 PM »
Would the starting lineup of Acker, Cubillan, Butler, Hazel, and Burke be competitive in the MAC, let alone the BEast?    We have 4 great players and 5 guys who probably couldn't beat the starting 5 of UWM.    What this means is that if one of the 4 tires that makes this hot rod go gets a flat, we are stuck with a donut spare right now.   Can't go over 50 MPH for more than 50 miles.    So there are going to be nights like Dayton when it doesn't work and nights like Saturday when it works perfectly.   The sooner Joe and Chris return, even to just give minutes, fouls and effort, the better for the team.

yet there rae people that post that Creans recruiting was good or exeptional.     pause not!!!  it was poor highlighted by the periodic good recruit(s).  people question Buzz's coaching accumne...when you recruit like he does it makes you look like a genius when they are on the court!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »

Very True Marquette84, we do lead those other teams.  Doesn't take away my opinion that the FT shooting last night was poor.  60.9% is poor and down the stretch the squad shot only 50% in the last 4 minutes.   Something that needs to be shored up.  Three of our last four games we have shot below 64%.  (after shooting above 70% in each of the first four games.  Those will be critical points needed in close conference games.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2008, 10:41:21 PM »
Dumbest. Post. Ever.  Seriously, I wish you were in my house so I could slap you in the face.

Would you like to take this back? It's a long season yet alone the 94572 Posts in 9746 Topics by 2371 Members in the history of MUSCOOP. Should I start with Murph or Hayward.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2008, 10:53:57 PM »
People really need to get their heads checked around here. 

IF anyone thought MU should blow out UW, you should refrain from opening your mouth.  UW style of play slows down the game a ton and its a rivalry game.  We were winning by 7 with about 2 minutes left.  If you haters watched the game, you would know that we won by 3, not by a last second three pointer,  but by a last second shot by UW to pull within three. 

I am really happy with the win.  One of my biggest concerns coming into the season was Buzz's coaching.  This was his first big tough "grind it out" win.  It helps to have great senior leadership but it gives me hope that Buzz might help us reach the next level.  We already know he can bring in talent. 

This was a great win.  I know reality can suck sometimes but you have to come to grips with it.  Outside Matthews, we are not a good FT shooting team.  Our three point shooting is spotty.  We played exactly how we are going to play for the majority of the season and we still beat a decent team. 

Hopefully Fulce can contribute when he comes back.  It would be great to be able to sit Matthews or McNeal and replace them with a scoring threat.  Fulce is a big X factor.  If he is solid, he could make a huge difference. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

mviale

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
We played a solid 2nd half and at the 3 minute mark, I  knew the game was ours.  We were up like 57-49 or +14 for the half.  We owned them and I could see it on the 3 amigos face.  Bo knew it,  Krabbenhoft knew it, Keaton Nankivil knew it, Landry knew it and Hughes knew it.

That is all I needed. Onto IPFW.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2008, 01:29:37 AM »
We played a solid 2nd half and at the 3 minute mark, I  knew the game was ours.  We were up like 57-49 or +14 for the half.  We owned them and I could see it on the 3 amigos face.  Bo knew it,  Krabbenhoft knew it, Keaton Nankivil knew it, Landry knew it and Hughes knew it.

That is all I needed. Onto IPFW.

Well, I don't know about that.  With one minute to go we turned the ball over only leading by 4 points and UW-Madison with the ball.  We played pretty fast and loose with the ball at the end and the missed FT's didn't help.  Fortunately Krabbenhoft stepped out of bounds.  They score a deuce or a triple there and it's a one possession game with about 45 seconds left.

nola03

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2008, 10:00:45 AM »
UW was ranked, what 22. A team led by 4 seniors, with the experience they have---a near sweet 16 team---should be at least close to a top 10 team this year. You people are satisfied with a marginal 3 point win over a depeleted Wico team at home????

I believe ecompt also posed the question --  but explain how Wisconsin is a "depleted" team?  ?-(

I thought these kids showed a unnatural carnal knowledgeing tremendous amount of heart in the second half (evidenced by out-rebounding the Badgers) especially considering it was not their "A" game and they won the game by beating Wisconsin the way Wisconsin beats their opponents.

Not sure how you can knock theBuzzsaw on this one. The man pulled out a wildcard with the 1-3-1 and it completely flummoxed not only the experienced triumvirate of Hughes, Landry, and Krabbenhoft but it was clear Ryan didn't recognize it early enough to counteract the zone.

From this fan, full marks to the staff and the players for what they accomplished on Saturday.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2008, 12:02:43 PM »
My complaint is that Notre Dame lost at home. I wanted to end their home winning streak that started after we beat them.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »
My complaint is that Notre Dame lost at home. I wanted to end their home winning streak that started after we beat them.

According to Knight Commission, we ended that streak last year, by virtue of a three-point loss.