[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Haanif to announce on 9/5  (Read 66782 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Hannif to announce on 9/5
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
Gardner was an elite caliber offensive player at the college level.  Vander Blue was not an elite defender, nor an elite offensive player at any point in his career.  Finding an elite offensive player at this level is a hell of a lot harder than finding a really good defender.  Yes, Blue was a better defender.  Vander made great strides his Junior year and turned into a very good player.  

I never said Vander was an awful player - other than his freshman year - he was given AMPLE opportunity to play - 20 minutes a game - and his production was poor.   And his defense as a freshman?  Okay, average maybe?  Certainly not Jerel McNeal good.  Here's Gardner and Blue as freshman.  

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=davante-gardner&davante-gardner=2010-2011&i=1&p1=vander-blue&vander-blue=2010-2011

And let's hope today is a good day for MU...come on down Hannif!

First of all, I liked Gardner and I actually said that, based on his 4 years in the program (to Vander's 3), he probably was the "better" player. I don't want to slam Davante, but when your center pretty much only gets rebounds by accident, can't block a shot, can't defend 1-on-1 and can't make a dunk, we're not talking about an all-around player.

Second, in this comment, you say: "I never said Vander was an awful player - other than his freshman year ... "

Just a few comments earlier, however, you said: "Blue was awful as a freshman. Not much better as a sophomore."

I guess, technically, you "never" said Blue was awful, except as a freshman. But you did say he was "not much better" than awful as a sophomore, which of course isn't true.

I just don't understand what joy you get out of tearing down Blue at pretty much every opportunity. He was a valuable contributor to a S16-S16-E8 team, as was Davante. Is it impossible for you to make an argument for your case without completely trashing somebody?

Ners, you know I don't usually rip you. I do poke fun sometimes but I actually agree with you more times than not. I just wish you could find a way to make your points without being so over the top.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2014, 08:56:45 AM »
Vander wasn't awful as a freshman.  He was awful on the offensive side, but he was a better than average defender.  No he wasn't McNeal good then...but he was a better defender than Jerel by the time he was a junior.

But as I said earlier, it is hard to compare two players with opposite strengths and weaknesses that play opposite positions.  Marquette doesn't make last year's E8 without either one of them.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2014, 09:10:52 AM »
Vander wasn't awful as a freshman.  He was awful on the offensive side, but he was a better than average defender.  No he wasn't McNeal good then...but he was a better defender than Jerel by the time he was a junior.

But as I said earlier, it is hard to compare two players with opposite strengths and weaknesses that play opposite positions.  Marquette doesn't make last year's E8 without either one of them.
This is true.

I think an interesting hypothetical question regarding last year's team is:

Would the team have been better with Blue but without Gardner than it was without Blue but with Gardner? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »
This is true.

I think an interesting hypothetical question regarding last year's team is:

Would the team have been better with Blue but without Gardner than it was without Blue but with Gardner? 

I'm glad we didn't have to find out!

I'm also not a big fan of hypotheticals because there is no right or wrong answer but lots of folks think they know the right answer.

Having said all that ... last season's team had Gardner but no Blue. A lot more went into us biting the big one, but that fact is indisputable.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2014, 09:38:04 AM »
I'm glad we didn't have to find out!

I'm also not a big fan of hypotheticals because there is no right or wrong answer but lots of folks think they know the right answer.

Having said all that ... last season's team had Gardner but no Blue. A lot more went into us biting the big one, but that fact is indisputable.
I don't generally like these types of "debates" either for exactly the reason you stated.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »
we would have been way better last season with blue and not Gardner.  Otule would have been serviceable with more PT.  No question. 

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
Does anyone know if the announcement will be televised? Or on radio?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »
Blue probably gets a lot of time at the point last year.    Without Gar ner, maybe McKay sticks around.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2014, 10:45:53 AM »
Blue probably gets a lot of time at the point last year.    Without Gar ner, maybe McKay sticks around.  
McKay would be playing a lot if he was here, how's he
Doin at isu

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2014, 10:48:37 AM »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2014, 10:51:22 AM »
http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/haanif-cheatham-college-commitment-day-september-5-358552
Getting to be a real soap opera, when a HS kid announcing his commitment to a college gets TV coverage.
Sort of like the Real Housewives of Anywhere.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2014, 10:59:21 AM »
Getting to be a real soap opera, when a HS kid announcing his commitment to a college gets TV coverage.
Sort of like the Real Housewives of Anywhere.
It is a big event for the high school and the family. Technology makes a lot of things possible today. The kids at the school get to produce an event etc.

I can remember when I went to Earvin Johnsons press conference to announce where he would go to school. In those stone age times there were probably 100 press people and others in a high school auditorium and the local TV channels had their film teams there.  It was fun .

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
You call this TV coverage?  I think it's just the new normal where it's very easy to "broadcast" anything on the Internet.

http://www.highschoolcube.com/future

I will now get off your lawn.

brandx

« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2014, 11:10:14 AM »
Gardner was an elite caliber offensive player at the college level.   

Not even close to elite. He was a good offensive player.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »
What are there, 355 D1 teams? Ask those 355 coaches this question - if you were starting your program from scratch and your first pick had to be Blue or Gardner who would you take? The final score would be Blue 355, Gardner 0. No way any of them would take a one way, out of shape part time player over an all around guy who's a borderline NBA player. Not one.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2014, 11:18:19 AM »
I know it doesn't mean anything until after 2PM but the crystal ball is now 100% Marquette.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Haanif-Cheatham-at-Pembroke-Pines-Charter-38899/CurrentExpertPredictions

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »
What are there, 355 D1 teams? Ask those 355 coaches this question - if you were starting your program from scratch and your first pick had to be Blue or Gardner who would you take? The final score would be Blue 355, Gardner 0. No way any of them would take a one way, out of shape part time player over an all around guy who's a borderline NBA player. Not one.

I disagree. It is much more difficult to find a post player than it is an athletic guard. You are making it sound like Gardner was some scrub. How many game plans do you think revolved around stopping Blue...I would venture more teams were worried about stopping Gardner than Blue.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »
I know it doesn't mean anything until after 2PM but the crystal ball is now 100% Marquette.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Haanif-Cheatham-at-Pembroke-Pines-Charter-38899/CurrentExpertPredictions

Has a player ever been 100% 1 school on that site and NOT chosen the school he was predicted for?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »
I disagree. It is much more difficult to find a post player than it is an athletic guard. You are making it sound like Gardner was some scrub. How many game plans do you think revolved around stopping Blue...I would venture more teams were worried about stopping Gardner than Blue.

And yet when we have "elite" big men we miss the NCAA and NIT, and when we have elite guards we make runs into the 2nd weekend of NCAA Tournaments.  So I think the guard would go first.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2014, 11:57:55 AM »
I believe ESPNU is covering George Campbell's announcement today of where he'll be playing football next season.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »
Has a player ever been 100% 1 school on that site and NOT chosen the school he was predicted for?

Rarely, but I know I've seen it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »

I don't think that is accurate at all.  You have to evaluate character, maybe you want the kid for 4 years and not shorter, what does he provide on the defensive end, how much easier is it to find another guard that may not be as good but pretty close vs finding another post player that is pretty close.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2014, 12:52:19 PM »
ZOMG IT'S 12:52!!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2014, 12:52:22 PM »
My G'Town peeps at work say he's going to MU.