[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Movie Theater - Advance Tickets  (Read 2923 times)

Benny B

• All American
Movie Theater - Advance Tickets
« on: October 31, 2019, 09:26:32 AM »
Query: Is the date that advance tickets go on sale for upcoming movies determined by the distributor or the theater operators?  Either way, is there typically an announcement for the advance ticket date or is this kept secret until launch?

I remember Endgame being a cluster-f#@& because nobody knew when exactly it was going on sale, not to mention the Fandango servers crashing, but I didn't get my email alert until 3 hours after tix went on sale (would have been shut out for opening weekend if not for Scoop). 

In any event, I'm trying to land tickets for Frozen 2 for my youngest, which only say "Coming Soon" on AMC and Fandango's websites.  Under normal circumstances, this wouldn't be something I'd need to get in on as soon as they went on sale except that I'm trying to get tickets for Frozen 2... on opening night... in Orlando... at AMC-Disney Springs 24... in the dine-in loungers... at the 6:00pm showing.

[I appreciate everyone's sarcasm-laced wishes of luck.]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
Re: Movie Theater - Advance Tickets
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 09:29:03 AM »
Query: Is the date that advance tickets go on sale for upcoming movies determined by the distributor or the theater operators?  Either way, is there typically an announcement for the advance ticket date or is this kept secret until launch?

I remember Endgame being a cluster-f#@& because nobody knew when exactly it was going on sale, not to mention the Fandango servers crashing, but I didn't get my email alert until 3 hours after tix went on sale (would have been shut out for opening weekend if not for Scoop). 

In any event, I'm trying to land tickets for Frozen 2 for my youngest, which only say "Coming Soon" on AMC and Fandango's websites.  Under normal circumstances, this wouldn't be something I'd need to get in on as soon as they went on sale except that I'm trying to get tickets for Frozen 2... on opening night... in Orlando... at AMC-Disney Springs 24... in the dine-in loungers... at the 6:00pm showing.

Based on Episode 9 advance tickets, it has to be the distributor right?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »
Based on Episode 9 advance tickets, it has to be the distributor right?

That was my initial suspicion, but if there was a single date that the distributors allowed for tickets to go on sale, it would seem to me like they would make that announcement. 

In other words, the most logical reason for not announcing an on-sale date is if there wasn't actually a date, i.e. the theater operators decided for themselves.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »
That was my initial suspicion, but if there was a single date that the distributors allowed for tickets to go on sale, it would seem to me like they would make that announcement. 

In other words, the most logical reason for not announcing an on-sale date is if there wasn't actually a date, i.e. the theater operators decided for themselves.

I see the thought process. I wonder if the distributor says start anytime after XX/XX/XXX, whenever you can handle it?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 10:58:18 AM »
I think it varies on the theater and distributor. I’d recommend setting up a fandango account. You can then set up fan alerts for when things go on sale.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »
I think it varies on the theater and distributor. I’d recommend setting up a fandango account. You can then set up fan alerts for when things go on sale.

As I mentioned, I didn't get the Endgame alert from Fandango until after Scoopers had already informed me that tickets went on sale.

And unfortunately, I don't think I can rely on Scoopers to tell me when Frozen 2 tickets go on sale.  The new Bill & Ted sequel, sure.  But Frozen 2, no.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 11:34:59 AM »

You gonna dress up like Sven too?

Maybe call Disney direct about tickets.

Hot tip, PTM always has reserved seating in sniffers row, if you need someone to hook you up.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
Hot tip, PTM always has reserved seating in sniffers row, if you need someone to hook you up.

Just let it go, man.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
As I mentioned, I didn't get the Endgame alert from Fandango until after Scoopers had already informed me that tickets went on sale.

And unfortunately, I don't think I can rely on Scoopers to tell me when Frozen 2 tickets go on sale.  The new Bill & Ted sequel, sure.  But Frozen 2, no.
Sorry, didn’t see that was just responding with what works for me.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »

I'm not sure who makes the decision, but you may want to set up a google news alert that will notify you when a press release of the onsale date goes out.  It works for the big block busters... not sure if Frozen 2 will get the same media attention though.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 06:50:39 AM »
I'm not sure who makes the decision, but you may want to set up a google news alert that will notify you when a press release of the onsale date goes out.  It works for the big block busters... not sure if Frozen 2 will get the same media attention though.

Frozen 2 will rival Endgame and Episode IX at the box office when all is said and done.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 07:15:04 AM »
You gonna dress up like Sven too?

Maybe call Disney direct about tickets.

Happy to help, might be a little tight this weekend though.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 07:24:40 AM »
It's ultimately determined by the theater/providers based on when the distributors drop their "ticket embargo". i.e Disney says you can't sell before we drop the last trailer for Ep9 during MNF but any time after that you want to start selling tickets, by all means knock yourself out.

One thing I still don't get is that Ep9 opening day is always reported as December 20th but obviously there are a bunch of showings on the 19th (I've got an 8PM showing on the 19th myself).....is that because of the old school weekend box office metrics?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 09:52:53 PM »
Benny,
Just saw an ad that they go on sale tomorrow.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 05:46:23 AM »
I saw a Twitter ad that they were on sale. I need some for my daughter’s birthday party. Went to Fandango and they are not on sale yet, whatever that means.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 09:04:24 AM »
Thanks, all.  I saw the ad yesterday and just purchased mine... had to piggyback 3 and 2 in two rows, but got the theater and showtime I wanted.

Gives me an idea for a movie:

[Deep voiceover]: It was an ordinary date night, dinner and a movie for two.  But what started out as a romantic evening quickly spiraled out of control when three horrors from beyond were seated in front of them.  But when those three horrors inexplicably follow them home after the movie, date night turns into a nightmare from which there is no escape.  Coming this Valentine's Day, M Night Shyamalan and James Wan co-direct their magnum opus, WHY DID WE HAVE KIDS?  Rated G.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 09:35:24 AM »
Another gripe. It's Monday, want to make reservations for Saturday dinner, but can't until Wednesday when movie times come out.

feedback