[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recommendations for Return to Campus  (Read 7738 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Recommendations for Return to Campus
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2023, 10:08:53 AM »
I like Brat House. “2 for 1” beers is a nice perk. It gets pretty cramped though, although the second story helps.

Uber Tap Room was my go-to since it was not crowded and had good beer and food. Now it’s an Irish bar which is meh.

I haven’t tried Pilot Brewing yet, but it’s a large space. Central Waters Brewery is a hit of a walk for you, but has really good beer and they have food.

lol its like half a mile from the FF

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2023, 10:10:21 AM »
I've been to Pilot Brewing a couple of time - usually post game for dinner. It's a little more of a haul, but is usually pretty crowded.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2023, 10:28:50 AM »
I usually hit goolsbys before the game and brat house or who’s on third after. Can’t really go wrong with any of the bars around there on gameday
Bring back FFP!!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2023, 10:41:48 AM »
I like Brat House. “2 for 1” beers is a nice perk. It gets pretty cramped though, although the second story helps.

Uber Tap Room was my go-to since it was not crowded and had good beer and food. Now it’s an Irish bar which is meh.

I haven’t tried Pilot Brewing yet, but it’s a large space. Central Waters Brewery is a hit of a walk for you, but has really good beer and they have food.

Uncle Buck's has good food.  It's owned by the same people that own Caffrey's and  Murphy's.

I also like Camp bar. They have a ton of great Up North Wisconsin memorabilia in it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2023, 10:46:07 AM »
I haven’t tried Pilot Brewing yet, but it’s a large space.

Pilot Project that bought MKE's old space isn't a brewery it's an incubator. The original is in Chicago and they have a few independent breweries renting space to perfect their beers. It's a cool place but if the goal is to do inherently Milwaukee stuff then I'd stay away.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2023, 10:48:13 AM »
I usually hit goolsbys before the game and brat house or who’s on third after. Can’t really go wrong with any of the bars around there on gameday

Quite a distance from 12 Mile Rd. and Woodward, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2023, 10:53:38 AM »

Quite a distance from 12 Mile Rd. and Woodward, aina?

It sure is but I still make it to a few games a year. I’m already locked in for Seton Hall this year January 27th
Bring back FFP!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2023, 11:04:44 AM »
Safe travels, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2023, 11:26:53 AM »

Brat House is my pre-game waterhole, but post game is usually too crowded ( I believe the Brat House guys ripped off the " order 1 beer get 2 mugs" concept from McSorleys Olde Ale House in the East Village NYC. That's the only other bar I've ever seen it before).

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2023, 12:59:15 PM »
Brat House, Uncle Bucks + Camp probably are the best at recreating the Buck Bradley's experience.

Here's the deal with Goolsby's...

It's a greasy fast food burger that tastes really good but it's more like having a Kopp's / Culver's burger than a good pub burger. They skimp on silverware (plastic) and napkins (cheap cocktail napkins only) and the ketchup is generic.  You're gonna find a better dining spot elsewhere and you don't always walk out feeling light. BUT that being said it's a freaking HOF museum to MKE sports in there, they have 17 different TV feeds and are really the only true sports bar in town. For instance if you're a Bengals fan, you're there every Sunday, same goes for Chargers etc.  They will get you the game. Where as I think the MECCA pays for no more than 3 TV feeds.

TL;dr --- go to Goolsby's for a beer or two after.  Don't be surprised if its served in a plastic cup and if you're hungover / getting drunk, smash one of their burgers. The place is great. 

Also, walk through the Deer District but look don't buy.  Stick to MG or the bars on MLK née Old World Street Street. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 02:16:16 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2023, 02:07:53 PM »
Has Buck Bradleys under the new ownership reopened yet. I just assumed that would coordinate with the start of the Bucks season??

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2023, 02:21:51 PM »
Has Buck Bradleys under the new ownership reopened yet. I just assumed that would coordinate with the start of the Bucks season??

Called "Copper".  Not open yet, I walked past it last week.  It was supposed to open in September but they're still working on the interior. 
I expect it'll be open soon, probably well before BigEast season starts.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2023, 02:26:13 PM »
Called "Copper".  Not open yet, I walked past it last week.  It was supposed to open in September but they're still working on the interior. 
I expect it'll be open soon, probably well before BigEast season starts.

Are they keeping the long bar???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2023, 07:27:23 PM »
If you are at the Aloft, Harp is right across the river, it was there when you were there and interior hasn’t changed much. If Sarah is bartending tell her I said hi.

Is Turners still a post game thing?
I was so excited to go to the deer district, then I went. God talk about soulless. Jeez.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2023, 08:04:07 PM »
If you are at the Aloft, Harp is right across the river, it was there when you were there and interior hasn’t changed much. If Sarah is bartending tell her I said hi.

I am -- at least Friday night. I am pretty sure that I never went there while at MU -- even if it was there when I was there. The name if awfully familiar, but I'm pretty sure that's because there's a pub here with the same name that I go to on occasion. I'm a fan of Irish pubs, so I appreciate the tip.

I'm still not sure if we're going to stay downtown on Saturday night. We fly out very early Sunday morning, so at this point we're planning on staying out by the airport Saturday night. If we stay downtown, I could definitely see us heading across the bridge so that we'll be "stumbling distance" from the hotel.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2023, 08:44:25 PM »
Don't stay by the airport. All you will do is save yourself 11 minutes of commute but the cost will be your soul.

Turners is something we don't talk about. Mike Deane gave his life for that place.  Tom Crean took an institution and donated $100,000 to kill it.  It's so sad. It is something we don't talk about.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2023, 09:26:00 PM »
Don't stay by the airport. All you will do is save yourself 11 minutes of commute but the cost will be your soul.

Turners is something we don't talk about. Mike Deane gave his life for that place.  Tom Crean took an institution and donated $100,000 to kill it.  It's so sad. It is something we don't talk about.

In a Sunday AM it's 8 minutes.  Unless you are into airport biker strip bars, stay downtown.

As for Turner's, you summed it up. My chest hurts.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2023, 09:55:23 PM »

In a Sunday AM it's 8 minutes.  Unless you are into airport biker strip bars, stay downtown.

You both make a compelling case. I've changed the reservations. Thank you.

Honest question: will there be any diffuculty getting a 4:30 - 5:00 a.m. Uber or cab in Miwaukee on a Sunday morning. I suspect not, but I know that isn't always easy some places.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2023, 10:04:21 PM »
You both make a compelling case. I've changed the reservations. Thank you.

Honest question: will there be any diffuculty getting a 4:30 - 5:00 a.m. Uber or cab in Miwaukee on a Sunday morning. I suspect not, but I know that isn't always easy some places.

Pre-book an Uber. Costs a bit more but lesson learned from Legs. Scan your work email and charge a client the extra charge as you wait.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2023, 02:33:12 PM »
Are they keeping the long bar???

Yes!  The long bar is preserved, as is all of the classic flavor of the beautiful old building.

https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/copper-slated-for-former-buck-bradleys
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2023, 03:28:20 PM »
It sounds like you're going over break, so I'm not sure such access would be available to you, but worth checking on in advance if you'd be interested in stuff like that.

I've done some checking and i get the impression that everything on campus is going to be closed down. It seems that everything is closed from December 24, through January 2. This includes AMU (and presumably the Spirit Shop). I'll be able to show him the campus -- and see exterior changes for myself -- but I don't think we'll be able to go inside any buildings (except Gesu, I'd imagine).

There are 30-35 bars/restaurants within a 4 block walk to the east and south of Fiserv Forum (  10-12 east of the river on or near Water Street and about 20 west of the river on 3rd Street and south toward State and Wells). It'll be a cold winter day. No need to drive all over he!! looking for the perfect hamburger. If your hotel is 1 block from FF, roll out of bed about 10:30 am and start walking. You'll find something to your liking in about 2 minutes.

I zoomed in a little closer and checked street view on maps. I had no idea there were so many places in the area. Yeah, there will be no shortages of places for us to eat and drink within block of our hotel and the arena. Thanks for this information.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2023, 03:28:49 PM »
Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions and information. We appreciate it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2023, 03:41:12 PM »
I've done some checking and i get the impression that everything on campus is going to be closed down. It seems that everything is closed from December 24, through January 2. This includes AMU (and presumably the Spirit Shop). I'll be able to show him the campus -- and see exterior changes for myself -- but I don't think we'll be able to go inside any buildings (except Gesu, I'd imagine).

I zoomed in a little closer and checked street view on maps. I had no idea there were so many places in the area. Yeah, there will be no shortages of places for us to eat and drink within block of our hotel and the arena. Thanks for this information.

Personally, I'd still yank on the doors to see if they're locked.   I just called the spirit shop and they weren't sure if they were open for that week, but she thought they were.  So who really knows.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2023, 05:56:30 PM »
Personally, I'd still yank on the doors to see if they're locked.   I just called the spirit shop and they weren't sure if they were open for that week, but she thought they were.  So who really knows.

Yeah I’d guess the AMU building itself will have its doors open. I feel like I’ve been in there at some odd times and times of year where things weren’t “open” but you can still enter the building.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2023, 07:45:42 PM »

It’s in our nature to yank on doors. When we visited Xavier when he was still in high school we found an open door at Cintas, crawled under a mostly closed gate in the concourse, and explored the arena. Rest assured that if there’s a way in, we’ll probably find it.

Looking further, maybe a few things will be open. What the heck is a rec plex?

feedback