[Today at 01:06:18 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:57:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who is your favorite guitarist of all time?

Jimi Hendrix
4 (7.4%)
Jimmy Page
4 (7.4%)
Eddie Van Halen
4 (7.4%)
Prince
3 (5.6%)
Eric Clapton
6 (11.1%)
John Mayer
2 (3.7%)
Brian May
0 (0%)
BB King
2 (3.7%)
David Gilmour
3 (5.6%)
Someone else
26 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Favorite Guitarist of all time  (Read 19839 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Favorite Guitarist of all time
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2021, 09:00:07 PM »
Eat a dick, PTM.  The Smoking Popes were my neighbors growing up.

Lake in the Hills, mount up.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2021, 09:25:07 PM »
I've been listing to Indie 1.0 on the XM app recently and I totally missed on Mould back in the day....he was an f'n monster. He's on my 'explore more' list.
Husker Du and solo work, especially “See a Little Light” are phenomenal, but don’t overlook Sugar. Panama City Motel is probably my favorite song of theirs and a good example of his guitar work.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2021, 11:33:12 PM »
Lake in the Hills, mount up.

Nah. Crystal lake boys.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2021, 02:08:21 AM »
if you've got amazon prime, they have a documentary: guitar legends: hero to tone that is fantastic.  goes thru all of the best, interviews, live performances, etc  a lot of les paul, his influences, bb king, brian may, slash, robby krieger, joe pery... all of them.  its well over 2 hours long and super interesting

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Legends-Hero-Jimi-Hendrix/dp/B07PP7YJWB/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=guitar+hero+documentary&qid=1610697423&sr=8-4

amazon also has a show on clarence clemens "who do i think i am" is a special docu on him-very nice
https://www.amazon.com/Clarence-Clemons-Who-Do-Think/dp/B07W1DKKNP/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=clarence+clemons&qid=1610698011&sr=8-4
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2021, 12:11:58 PM »
Nah. Crystal lake boys.

Chystal Methers, hey?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2021, 12:53:55 PM »
I've been listing to Indie 1.0 on the XM app recently and I totally missed on Mould back in the day....he was an f'n monster. He's on my 'explore more' list.

He kinda got lost in the shuffle. Husker Du never got the notice they deserved. Very influential in both punk and alternative.

I only became aware of them because I had friends in Minneapolis.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:55:33 PM by Jockey »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2021, 01:27:47 PM »
He kinda got lost in the shuffle. Husker Du never got the notice they deserved. Very influential in both punk and alternative.

Unpopular opinion: Husker Dü is a lesser version of Naked Raygun that gets way more notoriety.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »
Lindsey Buckingham, Santana, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2021, 01:36:42 PM »

My shame is even bigger because I grew up in the burbs of Minneapolis and was blind to them. 18yr old naginiF should've come up from his Floyd and Zeppelin to check out more of the local scene.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2021, 01:42:36 PM »
Damnit, I hate when I find common ground with you.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2021, 01:45:34 PM »
Unpopular opinion: Husker Dü is a lesser version of Naked Raygun that gets way more notoriety.

Yeah. Very valid opinion.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2021, 01:47:43 PM »

I’m gonna chalk this up to some quality Chicago homerism, which I respect, cause no way. Husker Du influenced so many people, from the Pixies to the Smashing Pumpkins to Nirvana. And Bob Mould is a beast.  I think Naked Raygun is underrated, but not at the expense of Husker Du

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »

Lindsey Buckingham is great indeed, but he isn't even my favorite Fleetwood Mac guitar player!

https://youtu.be/0yq-Fw7C26Y

One of my absolute favorite riffs. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2021, 02:01:35 PM »
I’m gonna chalk this up to some quality Chicago homerism, which I respect, cause no way. Husker Du influenced so many people, from the Pixies to the Smashing Pumpkins to Nirvana. And Bob Mould is a beast.  I think Naked Raygun is underrated, but not at the expense of Husker Du

To be fair David grohl has talked about the influence of Naked Ragun so there's your Nirvana influence.

Smashing pumpkins are from Chicago and were signed to the same label initially so I have a hard time believing they weren't influenced by the local band that sounds extremely similar to Husker Du.

Steve albini from Big Black worked as a recording engineer with the Pixies and nirvana. Big Black had two members of Naked Raygun in it and Albini was known prior for being pretty much obsessed with Raygun in college so again hard to imagine no influence.

I said it was an unpopular take 🤗
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2021, 02:07:50 PM »
To be fair David grohl has talked about the influence of Naked Ragun so there's your Nirvana influence.

Smashing pumpkins are from Chicago and were signed to the same label initially so I have a hard time believing they weren't influenced by the local band that sounds extremely similar to Husker Du.

Steve albini from Big Black worked as a recording engineer with the Pixies and nirvana. Big Black had two members of Naked Raygun in it and Albini was known prior for being pretty much obsessed with Raygun in college so again hard to imagine no influence.

I said it was an unpopular take 🤗

David Grohl went to a Naked Raygun show at Cubby Bear.  But he also fell all over himself waxing about Zen Arcade.  And I wanna say Novoselic said Nirvana was “just doing what Husker Du did before us”

I’m sure Corgan like NR, but he never talked about them publicly in interviews like he did about Husker Du.

And not for nothing, instead of speculating about Albini, Black Francis literally put “likes Husker Du” is his classified to find members for the Pixies  ;D

Different strokes for different folks

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2021, 02:09:11 PM »
There is some serious inside knowledge going on in these last few posts.  Love it!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2021, 02:42:32 PM »
David Grohl went to a Naked Raygun show at Cubby Bear.  But he also fell all over himself waxing about Zen Arcade.  And I wanna say Novoselic said Nirvana was “just doing what Husker Du did before us”

I’m sure Corgan like NR, but he never talked about them publicly in interviews like he did about Husker Du.

And not for nothing, instead of speculating about Albini, Black Francis literally put “likes Husker Du” is his classified to find members for the Pixies  ;D

Different strokes for different folks

Grohl gave an interview where he said he wanted to be someone's Naked Raygun. That seems to be more than just 'saw a show'.

I'll admit most those were me trolling minor connections but I did say that Hüsker Du get more notoriety so I had myself covered about them getting more mentions in interviews 😎

To be honest I do like Hüsker Du, but I just don't understand the love affair. (Similar unpopular opinion with the aforementioned Albini's Big Black)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2021, 03:22:57 PM »
Heck, how did I forget Glenn Campbell?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2021, 03:32:13 PM »
Heck, how did I forget Glenn Campbell?

If you're going that genre, I'd put Chet Atkins and Roy Clark well ahead of Glen.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2021, 03:58:10 PM »
Nice thread.  I don't know how many posters actually play the guitar, but I have for a long time and I like to play loud.  Very loud and they used to name me 10/10.  Thats the volume control knob on the guitar and the amps.  Think Hair Nation....Before the pandemic happened I actually started to volunteer teaching at a local School of Rock, but that's another wild story in itself.

Glad the title is "Favorite" and not the best.  There are so many guitarists and the list is never ending.  Heck, there are some players on Youtube who are just ridiculous, to include youngsters are crazy good. Whats great for one is great for another, that's why if one person likes so and so, then great, he should not be mocked for his liking.

It is an audible thing in which your senses make you happy on what you are hearing.  The tone and the gain.
A popular song that has a great bridge lead, like Hotel California, the sounds of both Walsh's and Felder's guitars interact perfectly, even though the leads are not very hard to play.  Same with Stairway to Heaven, Page's work is beautiful, every single note.

Then there are the opening songs guitar riffs, oh my, so many...

My top favorites are:

Stevie Ray Vaughan (just ridiculous)
Peter Frampton
Wayne DeMartini (Ratt)
Gary Richrath (REO) (RIP)
George Lynch (Dokken)
Michael Schenker

Meant to respond to this yesterday, I play a bit.  Nothing to write home about, but I love it.  And I have a new guitar that has been on backorder for like 2 months and this thread is making the wait so much worse. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2021, 04:06:28 PM »
Meant to respond to this yesterday, I play a bit.  Nothing to write home about, but I love it.  And I have a new guitar that has been on backorder for like 2 months and this thread is making the wait so much worse.

Probably better than me. Played for a long time, but when anyone asks, I say I "play with the guitar" rather than "play the guitar".

What are you getting?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2021, 04:16:37 PM »
Terry Kath. 

Angus Young is only 5'2.  :)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2021, 04:28:16 PM »
Probably better than me. Played for a long time, but when anyone asks, I say I "play with the guitar" rather than "play the guitar".

What are you getting?

Hahaha.  I love that response and just may steal it.  Hah.  I'm getting a telecaster, nothing too crazy or anything but I've never had a Fender so I'm pretty excited about it.  But Fender, after nearly having to declare bankruptcy,  had a record year in 2020, so now everything is backordered like crazy.   Which overall, is a really good thing.  I'm just impatient hahah. 

Can't wait to plug her in and bastardize some Zeppelin tunes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:30:38 PM by buckchuckler »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2021, 04:31:55 PM »
Terry Kath. 

Angus Young is only 5'2.  :)

Angus got all of the attention for his looks and riffs, but Malcolm was the driver in the band. One of the best rhythm players ever.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2021, 05:06:47 PM »
Listening to Sirius today reminded me of one of the greats: Mike Campbell
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback