[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Milwaukee Shootings  (Read 28315 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Milwaukee Shootings
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2016, 08:15:04 PM »
I'm guessing there's a healthy dose of recency bias in there.

Everything seems worse than it is because we're thinking of it in the context of a recent news story.

Flooding - worse than ever (see: Louisiana)
Urban crime - worse than ever (see: Sherman Park)
Police officers KIA - worse than ever (see: Dallas shooting)

It feels like whenever someone cites actual statistics, the reality is things are about the same as ever. Maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. Maybe that's just normal statistical fluctuation.

Crime is up. This is the worst summer in Chicago since like the early 1990s.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2016, 09:14:29 PM »

That's seasonal though, the annual homicide rates aren't "up" compared to the early 2000s and everything prior. In fact since the major drop in 2003 there's really only been two outliers since and that's 2008 and 2012. It is fair to say we're on pace for another outlier in which case perhaps election years are to blame!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago#Murder_and_shootings
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2016, 09:31:33 PM »
Hey, enough with the facts.  He feels like crime is up, leave him alone.

As for Sheriff Clarke being "well respected" .. that's not a phrase I'd associate with him.   He gets elected is about the truest thing you can say about the guy, who is so conservative he's a FOX news regular .. yet runs as a Democrat because it's easier to win MKE votes.

Careful ... I hear a Scooper can get banned for political rants these days!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tim The Enchanter

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
Hey, enough with the facts.  He feels like crime is up, leave him alone.

As for Sheriff Clarke being "well respected" .. that's not a phrase I'd associate with him.   He gets elected is about the truest thing you can say about the guy, who is so conservative he's a FOX news regular .. yet runs as a Democrat because it's easier to win MKE votes.

Nice first post, Tim.

Clarke is a registered Democrat that beat Democrats in the primary every election.  He then went on to beat the Republican in the general.  Yes, it is easier to win MKE votes as a Democrat, but even going head to head against other Democrats he has won every time when they should have the same party advantage.  Or more so, if your claims he really isn't a Democrat.

2002, defeated Democrats Pete Misko and Mark Hayes in the Dem primary
2006, defeated Democrat Vince Bobot in Dem primary
2010, defeated Democrat Dave Clarke in Dem primary
2014, defeated Democrat Dave Clarke in Dem primary

2013, National Sheriff of the Year   (I guess some people respect him)

Did you know David Clarke played at Marquette University High School and helped win a state private school basketball championship for the Hilltoppers in 1973?  He graduated Summa Cum Laude from Concordia, and is a MU basketball hoops fan.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »

Yes.  A group of sheriffs who believe"their primary duty is to protect local citizens from the tyranny of the federal government."

http://archive.jsonline.com/watchdog/noquarter/bicecol16-7l9v73c-207614191.html

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2016, 08:42:03 AM »
I'm not going to single anyone out but I personally believe this thread has wandered toward 'political'.  No doubt each of us has an opinion on Sheriff Clark.  I certainly do.  But I'll keep that to myself.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2016, 09:14:58 AM »
Nice first post, Tim.

Clarke is a registered Democrat that beat Democrats in the primary every election.  He then went on to beat the Republican in the general.  Yes, it is easier to win MKE votes as a Democrat, but even going head to head against other Democrats he has won every time when they should have the same party advantage.  Or more so, if your claims he really isn't a Democrat.

Did you know David Clarke played at Marquette University High School and helped win a state private school basketball championship for the Hilltoppers in 1973?  He graduated Summa Cum Laude from Concordia, and is a MU basketball hoops fan.

Enough with the politics.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2016, 09:24:43 AM »
We are off and running, didn't take long.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2016, 09:32:40 AM »
Enough with the politics.

All I'll say is that Obama is the founder of Milwaukee violence.

He's the founder! He's the founder!

And Crooked Hillary is the co-founder!

Aw come on ... gotta have a sense of humor about this stuff ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »
All I'll say is that Obama is the founder of Milwaukee violence.

He's the founder! He's the founder!

And Crooked Hillary is the co-founder!

Aw come on ... gotta have a sense of humor about this stuff ...

Yeah, so far the Milwaukee riots have been "a regular riot" (apologies to Jackie Gleason/Ralph Kramden).

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2016, 09:57:42 AM »

You need to be less vague. What constitutes "crime" when you write that this is the worst summer "since like the early 1990s"?

Are carjackings up "like the early 1990s"? Are sexual assaults up "like the early 1990s"? Are robberies up "like the early 1990s"? Are petty thefts up "like the early 1990s"? Are death by auto up "like the early 1990s"? Are kidnappings up "like the early 1990s"?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2016, 10:07:42 AM »
IMHO, great letter by MU CHIEF OF POLICE. 
Surveillance cameras reduce crime.
Lights reduce crime.
Enough with the evergreens and foundation plantings.

Hope I'm not being political.  There is probably a PAC for evergreens out there somewhere.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2016, 10:08:59 AM »
Nice first post, Tim.

I don't want to end up like Chico's so I'll stay away from The Sherriff debate.

As for the issue of crime being up or down.  Petty theft and property crimes have been going up in the last 2 years still much lower than they were in the 90's.  But violent crime across the nation, minus some outliers, is considerably down and continues to trend that way.

The cycle of 24/7 news media makes it seem more prevalent. a very good example of the news cycles bringing attention to an issue that many thought was dormant, but in reality had been ongoing at a steady rate for decades is international piracy on the high seas. instances of Piracy off the coast of Africa and in the waters around the Asian archipelago has been steady for decades.  But in the early 2000's the 24/7 news media began to cover it more,which lead many to think, erroneously, that piracy was on the rise.

please excuse grammatical and spelling errors, still on my first cuppa
Fear makes you dumb.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2016, 10:26:05 AM »

Gary Rosenberger's MUHS 1973 team came out to play us (MLHS)  ....and I recall thinking ...gosh we limited the number of shots he got off pretty well.
We did.... he only got off 20 shots..problem was he made 18 of them and put up 40 that night. Next to Jim Chones..Gary was the best HS player I saw in person, as a kid. I have no recall of David Clarke
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »
Curious hypothesis:

Has cyber crime (largerly unreported) and fraud replaced a lot of the traditional crime, giving us a false reading on the statistics.

I read an article yesterday that said half of all UK crime is now cyber crime. This is much harder to get a read on metrics.

Are the same people who would have robbed a bank 30 years ago now stealing credit card info online?

This obviously doesn't explain violent crime rates but it would impact crime driven by greed or money.

Just a shot in the dark.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:47 AM »
IMHO, great letter by MU CHIEF OF POLICE. 
Surveillance cameras reduce crime.
Lights reduce crime.
Enough with the evergreens and foundation plantings.

Hope I'm not being political.  There is probably a PAC for evergreens out there somewhere.

+1

The creation of MUPD is one of the best decisions by MU in the last 20 years.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »
+1

The creation of MUPD is one of the best decisions by MU in the last 20 years.

until the confiscated my fake ID freshman year. Grrr...
Fear makes you dumb.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2016, 01:36:01 PM »
until the confiscated my fake ID freshman year. Grrr...

You mean the one that you were breaking the law with?   ::)

Look, I get it.  'Busted' my own kid once with an $85 excellent fake from Vermont.  Only Bernie is from Vermont.  I let him/her (so as not to disclose identity) keep it.  My words, 'Don't call me if you get busted and in trouble during the next xx months.'

That reminds me.  We had to bail my roommate's friend out of jail 35 years ago.  Something about public urination.  He did have the decency to walk down the alley reportedly.  Nothing changes. 

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »

Look, I get it.  'Busted' my own kid once with an $85 excellent fake from Vermont.  Only Bernie is from Vermont.  I let him/her (so as not to disclose identity) keep it.  My words, 'Don't call me if you get busted and in trouble during the next xx months.'

That reminds me.  We had to bail my roommate's friend out of jail 35 years ago.  Something about public urination.  He did have the decency to walk down the alley reportedly.  Nothing changes.

Wow did you lose your sense of humor in your old age
Fear makes you dumb.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »

Let me guess.  You are not a parent.

He did let our child from "Vermont" keep it.  He isn't totally lame.

Also, in the early '80's Wisconsin and Tennessee were the last two states that did not have photographs on their IDs.  Made things a lot easier.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2016, 02:14:04 PM »

Most of us probably had the experience of bailing a friend out of jail in Milwaukee at least once.  I hear they serve a mean bologna sandwich.....and that's all they serve.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2016, 02:14:45 PM »

Nah, we're cool.  Just like I'm confident you were 'faux outraged' when MUPD grabbed your ID.  Price of doing business at 19. 

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »
Let me guess.  You are not a parent.

He did let our child from "Vermont" keep it.  He isn't totally lame.

Also, in the early '80's Wisconsin and Tennessee were the last two states that did not have photographs on their IDs.  Made things a lot easier.

Correct I am not a parent I also wasn't 18 in the 80's and I fail to understand what that has to do with my joke.

my comment about his losing his sense of humor was a joke, which judging by his f/u post he got.
Fear makes you dumb.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2016, 02:20:24 PM »
Most of us probably had the experience of bailing a friend out of jail in Milwaukee at least once.  I hear they serve a mean bologna sandwich.....and that's all they serve.

Did I ever bail you out chili?  Do you still owe me money?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2016, 02:21:37 PM »
Correct I am not a parent I also wasn't 18 in the 80's and I fail to understand what that has to do with my joke.

my comment about his losing his sense of humor was a joke, which judging by his f/u post he got.

Ummm, 'follow up' I presume?   ;D