[Today at 04:43:45 PM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by tower912
[Today at 01:46:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU's embarassingly high acceptance rate  (Read 18781 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: MU's embarassingly high acceptance rate
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2016, 02:55:38 PM »
No, THE Ohio State University

Actually, if you ask people around here, it would probably be THE Ohio State University.  Subtle distinction, but necessary to give an accurate picture of how they feel about themselves.

Honestly, it's kind of amazing the transformation that has occurred in the 25 years since I moved here.  When I got here, OSU was a fairly typical state school that accepted pretty much everyone.  Now, if a kid wants to get accepted directly to the Columbus campus, he or she better have a pretty good HS resume.  Every year I talk to people around my age who aren't aware of the change and are surprised to learn that kids are getting rejection letters from OSU (or are getting funneled to OSU Mansfield).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
Anyone have any commentary about the OP and the claim that "an entire wing of O'Donnell was closed"?

I have a foggy memory about that .. renovations? 

Or is his suggestion true, that we have a small class this year?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »
Anyone have any commentary about the OP and the claim that "an entire wing of O'Donnell was closed"?

Opening right back up next year. Nothing to see there.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2016, 04:02:25 PM »
OSU Mansfield

Ohio named a campus after her?

Death on call

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »
Ohio named a campus after her?

Now that'd be a mascot I could get behind.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2016, 04:19:54 PM »
Now that'd be a mascot I could get behind.

Literally?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2016, 04:20:30 PM »

According to the USN@WR profile, it was 66.7% in 2014.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/marquette-university-3863

I think Acceptance Rate is a key measurement of selectivity. But one needs to look more closely at the data.

If I look at local schools I see that UDub has an acceptance rate of 55.2% but that includes kids getting into the Bothell and Tacoma campuses. The actual rate for the main campus is much lower for the Seattle flagship.

The rates for the state's two Jesuit universities approximates Marquette's - Seattle U at 73.4% and Gonzaga at 67.5%.

Within the B1G both Northwestern and Michigan have significantly lower rates than all the other conference schools.

And on the east coast, the Ivies and Little Ivies are all under 20%

While Acceptance Rates might not be a crucial statistic for those already matriculating it is certainly meaningful for consumers as the ARs align with public perception of academic reputation.

At the end of the day, whether we care to admit it or not, ARs are a key indicator of exclusivity. A maxim of branding is to create then nurture a sense of singular differentiation.

Death on call

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 04:50:21 PM »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2016, 05:35:31 PM »

OD will be closed next school year and was not full this year.  It's not entirely clear if it will be renovated or ultimately torn down.  There are ongoing discussions about new student housing.  One of the sites under consideration is the land west of 17th.  Plans are not complete of final so many options remain.  Hope that gives you enough.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 08:11:47 PM »
OD will be closed next school year and was not full this year.  It's not entirely clear if it will be renovated or ultimately torn down.  There are ongoing discussions about new student housing.  One of the sites under consideration is the land west of 17th.  Plans are not complete of final so many options remain.  Hope that gives you enough.

I heard pretty definitely that it wasn't gonna be torn down. Obviously there's a lot of time where that can change and I'm sure you're more well connected than I am, so who knows.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2016, 09:09:25 PM »
I heard pretty definitely that it wasn't gonna be torn down. Obviously there's a lot of time where that can change and I'm sure you're more well connected than I am, so who knows.

It's certainly the lean NOT to tear down as I hear it's structurally good.  I'd expect a major remodel while they have the chance.  You really can't do too much over a summer.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2016, 12:13:46 AM »
OD will be closed next school year and was not full this year.  It's not entirely clear if it will be renovated or ultimately torn down. 

For the love of dear God say it isn't so!!!

There are a lot of precious memories contained within those walls...

Death on call

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2016, 06:38:01 AM »
A co-worker of mine has a son graduating HS next month.  His dad was telling me how he applied to Michigan State, Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan; the first three accepted him, Becky wait-listed, and Michigan rejected.  He ultimately decided on MSU.  I asked why, and the response was along the lines of they have a good business school that just cracked the top 20.  I inquired further as to why not Kelley (a much better business school), and he said it felt too far away from home (his sister also goes to MSU).  I could sense the frustration in my co-worker's voice as he kept falling back on how MSU has a good business school and it was a good fit for his major. 

Me: "What does he want to study?"

"He's leaning towards real estate."

Me: "Did he look at Marquette?  MU's undergrad real estate program is top 10 nationally."

"No, he didn't even consider Marquette.  I think he also wanted to look at finance or investment banking."

Me: "Well, Marquette's applied investment management program is top 5 in the nation.  In fact, both of those programs have a 100% placement rate."

At this point, my co-worker was speechless.  I don't know if he didn't realize that MU had elite-level programs in RE and AIM or if he was just frustrated that his kid didn't even look at a school that seemed to be a perfect fit geographically and academically.

"Actually, it's understandable," I said, sarcastically.  "An urban campus can be really scary for white kids from the suburbs."
Thats super cool how you talk down to your coworkers like that. Sounds like the guy wasn't even seeking input on a decision that had already been made.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2016, 09:21:44 AM »
So .. what's the class size right now?  Up or down, historically?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
So .. what's the class size right now?  Up or down, historically?

The day to ask this question is May 2.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »
Incorrect. More accurately, the first day of class in August, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2016, 11:41:01 AM »
The day to ask this question is May 2.

How about the answer from May 2, 2015?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2016, 11:41:23 AM »
Incorrect. More accurately, the first day of class in August, ai na?

Do you count the ones who didn't fill out their paperwork?

The hanging chads of college admissions...

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2016, 01:48:37 PM »
See this is odd weird to me because my year (c/o 2015) was the biggest in Marquette history. When we were Freshman in 2011-12 my floor in McCormick had the common room converted to quads until October. I wouldn't worry too much about OD not being used. They have many more rooms since they converted Humphrey into a dorm.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2016, 01:57:47 PM »
Thats super cool how you talk down to your coworkers like that. Sounds like the guy wasn't even seeking input on a decision that had already been made.

I apologize.  I thought I made it pretty clear that my co-worker was struggling with the decision, be it the decision his kid made or the decision he made to allow his kid to make the decision.  I wasn't giving him input, I was throwing gas on the fire.

And personally, I do think it's super cool how I talk down to my co-workers... if you knew that I worked in an office with a bunch of Wisconsin and Notre Dame alums, you'd probably think so too.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2016, 02:00:24 PM »
And personally, I do think it's super cool how I talk down to my co-workers... if you knew that I worked in an office with a bunch of Wisconsin and Notre Dame alums, you'd probably think so too.

Benny just doing gods work

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2016, 02:42:46 PM »
Benny just doing gods work

At this point, I'm not sure that Benny isn't some form of god and/or the god.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »
See this is odd weird to me because my year (c/o 2015) was the biggest in Marquette history. When we were Freshman in 2011-12 my floor in McCormick had the common room converted to quads until October. I wouldn't worry too much about OD not being used. They have many more rooms since they converted Humphrey into a dorm.

They've been doing that for years. In 2004 (my freshman year) all the McCormick lounges were converted to Quads for the whole year AND they had 30 guys in the Hilton.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:03:57 PM by Coleman »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2016, 03:22:22 PM »
They've been doing that for years. In 2004 (my freshman year) all the McCormick lounges were converted to Quads for the whole year AND they had 30 guys in the Hilton.

I mean, like the Hilton Hilton or the Motel 6 Hilton? Or, inside Paris Hilton?

Death on call

feedback