[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by willie warrior
[Today at 10:40:08 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Would you attend Marquette again?  (Read 31551 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Would you attend Marquette again?
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2011, 10:45:06 PM »
I did not attend MU for undergrad; I earned my Master's at MU.   Needless to say, I didn't get the full "experience" as a grad student, but I got enough of a taste to know that I'd certainly consider doing it over if I could.  For my undergrad, I went to a tiny, liberal arts college, the only one to which I applied.  Initially, the decision to go there was because of family issues; after my sophomore year, I was going to transfer, but I was enticed to stay with a full ride.

If I had my do-over, I would start out with MU at #1 on my list, but I'd cast a much wider net.... maybe I'd apply to at least two schools this time around :D.  Honestly, I don't know that I'd end up at MU, but I'd give it at least a 50% chance.  What I do know for certain is that I wouldn't do the liberal arts thing again --- that was a colossal mistake --- and I wouldn't go to a "dash" school.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2011, 11:07:28 PM »
A couple of the negative Milwaukee posts have irritated me. Milwaukee may not be NYC, LA, or the city by the Bay.

I have been to a ton of other major urban areas in this country----I am not ashamed of Milw one bit. Yes this city has a lot of problems----NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, ect. dont have big issues----please spare me.

I didn't, nor has anyone, suggested NYC, Chicago, and Miami (Philadelphia wasn't in the list)  "dont have big issues".  They do.  But their population is between 3x and 16x larger than Milwaukee's, and they have significantly large chunks of their city that keep them going in the right direction.

Additionally .. one can cite examples of where Milwaukee is "great" or at least "nice" and few would disagree.  You cite a "progressive" (???) downtown and popular East side.   I can accept those being solid areas, yet there's a tremendous decay in a plurality, if not majority, of the remainder of the city that contains the cancer of poverty --and only 3 other cities are worse.

That Milwaukee has gems left is, of course, wonderful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2011, 11:23:19 PM »
I did not attend Marquette, but having lived in Milw for almost 20 years I would like to reply.

I would have been thrilled to go to Marquette, but we couldnt have possibly afforded the tuition.

I think you would be surprised at how many kids attend MU that could not afford it.  Finance packages are generous and there are number of ways to make a go of it.  Not easy, but certainly possible.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2011, 05:33:09 AM »
I think you would be surprised at how many kids attend MU that could not afford it.  Finance packages are generous and there are number of ways to make a go of it.  Not easy, but certainly possible.

That doesn't make it a good idea. The financial aid department is very good at making it look like Marquette is just as affordable as any other university when in many cases that's simply not true. Financially, I shouldn't have gone to Marquette, especially considering I was planning to go into media, a field where I was never going to make a ton of money. MATC gives a much more hands-on approach and from what I've seen actually prepares prospective graduates better than MUTV ever could. I've heard the same for fields like nursing and laboratory work.

Were I going pre-law or into some other more lucrative profession, MU would be a great choice, but a crappy job market had me constrained to financial hell for quite a few years after my graduation with crushing payback costs that were well out-of-line with the paychecks I was receiving. I'd be hesitant to recommend Marquette to just anyone. If you can't afford it and know it, and your field isn't one that will make it relatively easy to offset the student loan bills in the future, it can be a downright bad choice.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 07:41:28 AM »
Thinking about again, if I were to do it over, I would attend Hawaii Pacific University, then after a year transfer to North Idaho College for a year, then transfer to the University of Idaho for a year, then transfer to Matanuska-Susitna College in Alaska for another year, then finally transfer back to the University of Idaho and graduate.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »
Thinking about again, if I were to do it over, I would attend Hawaii Pacific University, then after a year transfer to North Idaho College for a year, then transfer to the University of Idaho for a year, then transfer to Matanuska-Susitna College in Alaska for another year, then finally transfer back to the University of Idaho and graduate.

That would totally qualify you to be a weather guy on TV.  But I'd guess you'd quit that after a few months.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »
Additionally .. one can cite examples of where Milwaukee is "great" or at least "nice" and few would disagree.  You cite a "progressive" (???) downtown and popular East side.   I can accept those being solid areas, yet there's a tremendous decay in a plurality, if not majority, of the remainder of the city that contains the cancer of poverty --and only 3 other cities are worse.

I am not disagreeing with you that Milwaukee doesn't have problems.  The near northwest side is a wasteland no doubt.

However, I think the city is much nicer than when I went to school at MU in the 80s.  I think the area around campus is nicer.  I think some neighborhoods like Bayview and Washington Heights have improved significantly.  And some like around Jackson Park and UWM have always been solid.

Milwaukee lost almost 15% of its population between 1970 and 1990.  It has basically stabilized since then, which is unlike the trends that other similar midwestern cities have seen.  I know someone who runs a fairly sizab le business in Milwaukee who can't get enough skilled labor to work in his factory.  (Unskilled labor is another story.)  That is why I think the biggest issue that Milwaukee faces is an education and training one, and not a jobs one.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
That doesn't make it a good idea. The financial aid department is very good at making it look like Marquette is just as affordable as any other university when in many cases that's simply not true. Financially, I shouldn't have gone to Marquette, especially considering I was planning to go into media, a field where I was never going to make a ton of money. MATC gives a much more hands-on approach and from what I've seen actually prepares prospective graduates better than MUTV ever could. I've heard the same for fields like nursing and laboratory work.

Were I going pre-law or into some other more lucrative profession, MU would be a great choice, but a crappy job market had me constrained to financial hell for quite a few years after my graduation with crushing payback costs that were well out-of-line with the paychecks I was receiving. I'd be hesitant to recommend Marquette to just anyone. If you can't afford it and know it, and your field isn't one that will make it relatively easy to offset the student loan bills in the future, it can be a downright bad choice.

I think a lot of people need to know how to work the system a bit better.  With all of the scholarships and grants that I qualified for after 4 years of school, I only owed about $17,000.  Which is amazing.  If you want to work to get and keep the scholarships, they are absolutely worth it.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »
I had a great time at Marquette, but if I had to do it over again I'd pick some place else.

Looking back I know I had fun, but I don't think I was mature enough at 18 years old to be serious about academics.  I was a C+ student at MU, but when I went for my MBA I needed to take a prerequisite that I didn't need to graduate at MU - I also decided to retake 2 classes over at the same time.  At 24 years old I was an A- student, some of it could have been the school - I can honestly say this public university was easier then MU.

After starting my work career I've come to realize that if you don't plan on working in the same general locale as you went to school, it's better to go to one of the academic NAME schools (California, MIT, ND, Stanford, Duke, etc.), after that a northeastern school with STRONG alumni ties (Dartmouth, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Brown, Cornell, Columbia, etc.), and if all else fails a state school where you can get excellent grades so you can get your post-graduate degree from one of the above mentioned schools.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:27:28 AM by lurch91 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2011, 09:22:28 AM »
However, I think the city is much nicer than when I went to school at MU in the 80s.  I think the area around campus is nicer.  I think some neighborhoods like Bayview and Washington Heights have improved significantly.  And some like around Jackson Park and UWM have always been solid.

Agreed, that the area around campus is nicer.  I'm certain you could find other areas that are nicer since the 80s .. heck, the 3rd Ward was mostly empty buildings 20 years ago, now there's dozens of condos.

By the same token, the devastated central city has grown its borders, too.  Blocks and blocks that used to be OK to live in have been overtaken by poverty, and that cancer is growing unabated.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2011, 09:44:02 AM »
Having been born and raised in MKE, my perception of it has changed over time. Yes, it's a great, affordable place to raise a family. But, so are so many other places. The weather sucks ass here most of the year and my perception is that this area doesn't have a true identity. It's not a manufacturing city, or high tech, or a financial center. No wonder many of  our friend's kids bolt the area after college. But, it is home and that counts for somethin'.
As for MU, I hold to it being a middle of the road institution academically. Nothin' wrong with that. But, don't confuse it with any of US News' top 50.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:53:49 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »
Yes, do it again
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »
I think a lot of people need to know how to work the system a bit better.  With all of the scholarships and grants that I qualified for after 4 years of school, I only owed about $17,000.  Which is amazing.  If you want to work to get and keep the scholarships, they are absolutely worth it.

+1.  Back in the 90's, if you would have compared the "out-of-pocket" costs (net of schollies, grants, etc.) of attending MU vs. UW for the average Wisconsin resident whose parents couldn't afford to send him/her to college, MU would have still been more expensive, but the contrast over four years would probably be surprising to most people... something in the thousands of dollars, not tens of thousands.

Getting "needs-based" dollars from the school, state, feds, etc. to make up 40-60% of the difference wasn't difficult at all; throw some "merit-based" dollars on top of that, and you might have whittled the difference away to virtually nothing.  Yes, there literally is millions of dollars out there in aid (a certain MU alum comes to mind)... you won't qualify for all of it, but cost typically isn't the obstacle to education for the majority of people who claim it is.

Of course, that was a different era, and I have no idea what tuition runs these days.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2011, 09:52:35 AM »
Agreed, that the area around campus is nicer.  I'm certain you could find other areas that are nicer since the 80s .. heck, the 3rd Ward was mostly empty buildings 20 years ago, now there's dozens of condos.

By the same token, the devastated central city has grown its borders, too.  Blocks and blocks that used to be OK to live in have been overtaken by poverty, and that cancer is growing unabated.

You could say this about a lot of cities.  Eventually there will be a push back into the higher poverty areas as welll as empty areas.  Milwaukee is focused on developing the areas of the city that will produce the most tax and economic revenue.  Property taxes in the 3rd ward are obviously higher than they are in the central city (plus the population is more likely to pay the taxes) so Milwaukee is doing the right thing, financially.

As for what 4ever said, a ton of my friends and former schoolmates from out of town have stayed in Milwaukee ever since they have graduated and they love it.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2011, 10:06:07 AM »
Of course, that was a different era, and I have no idea what tuition runs these days.

Me neither, but I know someone who is going to Santa Clara at ~$52k a year!  :o
SS Marquette

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2011, 10:13:15 AM »

I just spent last week in Moscow, ID. First time ever there, enough for me ... I assume that some athlete did that but I don't recall.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:16:07 AM by radome »

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2011, 10:16:05 AM »

For 2011-12...
Tuition: $31,400
Room & Board: $10,370

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2011, 10:25:49 AM »
For 2011-12...
Tuition: $31,400
Room & Board: $10,370

Room & Board fees at colleges are getting ridiculous. For 10K, you can rent a studio in decent neighborhoods....in Chicago. You'd have no problem in Milw. and could prob even get a nice 1 bedroom for that.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »
Room & Board fees at colleges are getting ridiculous. For 10K, you can rent a studio in decent neighborhoods....in Chicago. You'd have no problem in Milw. and could prob even get a nice 1 bedroom for that.

No doubt.  I had a decently sized studio on 15th and Wells that cost me $450/month from 2005-07, and even after food and alcohol I probably came in under $8k per year.

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
I bet that Holloway guy in Milw could set kids up with some REALLY cheap places. I dont know his story, but when a gov't official in Milw gets mentioned in Chicago news it CANT be a good thing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2011, 11:08:46 AM »

Yup, I do not disagree with you on that front and have stated as such here on several occasions.  Why someone would go to Harvard to get their teaching degree is beyond me.  Why someone would go to MU for that is beyond me...go to UW-M and get the same thing.  I'd argue the same thing for nursing, etc.  I know that will irk some folks, but I'd have trouble telling my kids to saddle themselves with huge debts at a private school if they know for sure their career path is going to be in something that will not have the payback that makes sense.  If they are ok with that, if they want to load up on the debt because they want that degree from that institution, then by all means have at it.  They should, however, be well aware of the decision and the long term financial considerations that go into it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »
I just spent last week in Moscow, ID. First time ever there, enough for me ... I assume that some athlete did that but I don't recall.

It's the path a certain female politician took....of course most of that was due to her financial situation at the time.  Other politicians have gone to Harvard, Yale, etc and turned (turning) out to be incompetent.  Then there have been folks like Harry Truman who did not attend college at all.  The piece of parchment on the wall doesn't indicate how smart someone is, their drive to succeed, or their leadership abilities but there are elitists in the world (i see it in business, gov't, etc) that turn their nose up if you don't have the right school name on that parchment.  

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »
Yup, I do not disagree with you on that front and have stated as such here on several occasions.  Why someone would go to Harvard to get their teaching degree is beyond me.  Why someone would go to MU for that is beyond me...go to UW-M and get the same thing.  I'd argue the same thing for nursing, etc.  I know that will irk some folks, but I'd have trouble telling my kids to saddle themselves with huge debts at a private school if they know for sure their career path is going to be in something that will not have the payback that makes sense.  If they are ok with that, if they want to load up on the debt because they want that degree from that institution, then by all means have at it.  They should, however, be well aware of the decision and the long term financial considerations that go into it.

I guess you aren't familiar with hou much nurses get paid these days.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:06 PM »
Would I attend again?

Yes, I wouldn't change anything except maybe I would've taken a closer look at Cornell. Semi-recruited there but turned it off early. Navy paid for school and I owed 4 years, then I was going to do something else. 28 years later, still at it ...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2011, 02:11:56 PM »
I was at MU from 1966-70. The campus was in a sorry state - dilappidated buildings with broken windows cluttered the landscape. The winters lasted from late October to mid April. I was broke or almost broke pretty much all the time. Yet I can't even entertain the idea of going back and changing my choice. The friends I made and the experiences we shared are far too valuable to me to nullify them for a road not taken.