collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Would you attend Marquette again?  (Read 31552 times)

WarriorDoc

• Starter
Would you attend Marquette again?
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:02:51 AM »
Had a conversation with some old friends from high school, we talked about if we'd go to our respective schools over again or choose a different one.  I think the numbers were 5 Loyola, 3 Marquette, 2 Boston College, 1 Notre Dame, 1 Xavier, and 1 UW.  Almost everyone besides the Loyola guys said they'd do it over again (to my ND friend's disbelief and mockery, to which we mocked his Irish pretenses back).  Which got me thinking...

Let's say you worked a little harder in high school and applied to Marquette, Notre Dame, Boston College, Xavier, Gonzaga, Providence--whatever Catholic schools you checked out, as well as some state schools like UW, UM, IU, etc.  Got accepted to all of them.  Let's leave Ivy league and etc out of it, stick to prestigious Catholic or flagship public U's.

Would you do Marquette all over again?  Or if you had the chance (put yourself in your high school mind) would you choose a more (by USNews opinion) prestigious school like Notre Dame?  Or would you choose a school academically on par with Marquette like Xavier or Gonzaga?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: Would you attend Marquette again?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:57:59 AM »
Right now, I would say no only due to financial obligations. Ask me again in 30 years, and I may have a different opinion. Don't get me wrong, I loved my time at Marquette and had the best time of life there, but I probably would have had just as much fun and life experiences at UW. UW is also a hell of a school academic-wise. So in hindsight, I would probably choose UW. I'm struggling with the $800 a month I pay in student loans and being a recent Comm major, the job market isn't very favorable.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
If I could afford it.....absolutely.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:53:43 AM »
Actually, at the time I matriculated, I was really immature and had no real motive/direction in my life, and the mandatory military draft was a future reality for all 22 year olds.  Had i to do it all over again, i would have enlisted in the military, matured somewhat (hopefully) qualified for the G.I. Bill, and gone to college farther away from home, ie, Villanova, Georgetown, etc. 
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »
If I had it over, I would take the time to look at more schools.  I looked at three, all in Wisconsin, and chose MU.  However, I would have no qualms about going to MU because I had a wonderful experience, but one thing I would do differently is take a semester abroad.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:06:02 AM »
I would have reservations about attending school in an urban setting. Would probably look at a campus setting not in the inner city.  Like a traditional state school with a sprawling campus.

Academics, no.  MU was fine in academic standing. 

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 08:19:39 AM »
I wouldn't change a thing...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »
I was accepted at Michigan, ND, DePauw, and some smaller state schools in Michigan.   My folks said they wanted me to be a distance away from home that they could come visit me for a weekend but that I couldn't come home on a Tuesday night because I was unhappy.   I was put off by the arrogance of the tour givers at the 3 listed above.   I loved the urban setting.  And at the 3 listed above, the town revolves around the school, rather than the school being part of the town.  A huge, clear distinction to me at 17.    Ironically, MU offered the least financial aid, but it was the one at which I felt instantly at home.   Never a nanosecond of regret.     So, yeah, if I could afford it, absolutely.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:56:16 AM »
I probably would, but would have majored in something useful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »
I loved my time at Marquette but there is still a small part of me that would have liked to attend a large school with a big-time football program. We always want what we can't have, right?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 09:00:07 AM »
If I could do it over again, I'd skip college altogether. I'd go into the military for 4 years (at age 18) and go right into the fire service at age 22. I'd be able to retire at 49 and have a second career if I wanted. Instead, I started my career at 34 and will be eligible for retirement later in life and with a smaller pension. My track would look much smoother if I could do it all over again...

...that said, I'm incredibly glad I did go to Marquette. Without those 4 years, I wouldn't have the same passion for both my alma mater and college basketball as a whole. I've always been somewhat an orphan when it comes to sports, never really supporting the teams I was "supposed" to, but Marquette is the one that makes sense. And while I still have a load of debt, my time at Marquette and the subsequent jobs that didn't end up working out have probably helped me more fully appreciate just how good I have it now. I absolutely love my job. I just had a week off and was looking forward to getting back to work. Would I have the same appreciation if I had taken the more linear path? Probably not. So while I wouldn't do it over again, I'm definitely glad that I did it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

groove

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:02:55 AM »
b
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:40:04 PM by groove »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:50 AM »
Leaving NorCal for the frozen upper midwest was an experience I loved. Sign me up again.
SS Marquette

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:16:09 AM »
first off, groove, Milwaukee is far from a dieing city.

Secondly, I'd probably try my hand at some school in California.  Berkley and Stanford being the obvious choices.

Other than those two, I don't think I'd go anywhere else.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
No regrets at all. However, after living in North Carolina for 15 years and being away from Wisconsin winters there is no way I would go back up north. Oh yeah, and the women are more attractive down here. Also it is nice to be in a vibrant area instead of a dying city.

Agree on the winters....agree on the women...

But while Milwaukee isn't "booming," it certainly isn't dying.  While the city might have its troubles like any other urban area, it is much more like Chicago or the Twin Cities than it is like Detroit or Akron. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »
No regrets at all. However, after living in North Carolina for 15 years and being away from Wisconsin winters there is no way I would go back up north. Oh yeah, and the women are more attractive down here. Also it is nice to be in a vibrant area instead of a dying city.

Milwaukee is a vibrant city now, much moreso than it has been in the last 45 years.  Groove, you should visit in the summer when you need a break from the southern heat.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 09:54:51 AM »
Only a year out, but I would pick MU in a heartbeat if I did it all over again.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »
I'm one of the few that didn't go to Marquette.  Instead I went to Miami University cause I needed a change from Wisconsin.  I've played this what if game with my friends alot, especially as people transferred out, etc...  90% of me says I wouldn't change a thing cause my college experience was everything I hoped for and my memories of Oxford are beyond fond.  However, after visiting CU part of me wonders if my 17 year old self would have opted for Boulder and part of me has always wanted to go to school in the South, so I might have looked at Georgia or maybe Ole Miss (cause frankly most of the schools in the SEC don't have great academics...)  But then again, I don't think I was ready to move more than 5 hours from home at the time.  Hindsight is 20-20.

But while Milwaukee isn't "booming," it certainly isn't dying.  While the city might have its troubles like any other urban area, it is much more like Chicago or the Twin Cities than it is like Detroit or Akron.  

With all due respect, I don't think Milwaukee has much in common with Chicago once you get past their locations, Midwestern sensibilities, and industrial history.  Chicago is a giant metro area that is constantly evolving.  Despite the bad rap its gotten, Milwaukee more accurately compares to Cleveland, though nicer.  Both have done alot of nice things downtown and have some great revitalized areas, while others need alot of work.

groove

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »
b
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:39:36 PM by groove »

groove

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 10:12:30 AM »
b
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:40:33 PM by groove »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »
With all due respect, I don't think Milwaukee has much in common with Chicago once you get past their locations, Midwestern sensibilities, and industrial history.  Chicago is a giant metro area that is constantly evolving.  Despite the bad rap its gotten, Milwaukee more accurately compares to Cleveland, though nicer.  Both have done alot of nice things downtown and have some great revitalized areas, while others need alot of work.

Not to be nitpicky, but I said it was more like Chicago than it is like Detroit.  

And actually Cleveland is not a good example at all.  Cleveland lost 17% of its population over the past decade, and the county lost 8%.  The city of Cleveland is actually under 400,000 population right now.  It is a dying city.

In comparison, the city of Milwaukee was basically level while Milwaukee County actually grew.   This makes it very much like the Twin Cities, whose city and counties grew at similar rates.  Not to mention the metropolitan areas of both grew nicely, but the Cities grew larger.

Here are some tables that show what I mean:

Minnesota: http://usademography.com/States/Tables/MNtable1.htm
Illinois: http://usademography.com/States/Tables/ILtable1.htm
Ohio: http://usademography.com/States/Tables/OHtable1.htm
Wisconsin: http://usademography.com/States/Tables/WItable1.htm
Michigan: http://usademography.com/States/Tables/MItable1.htm

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 10:19:53 AM »
Had a scholie to Illinois but was put off by the size of the campus. Marquette was what i wanted sizewise and it was close to Chi. had a great time,lifelong buddies and dated some of the prettiest women at MU.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »
Nope.  As a kid, I took few risks.  Two of my sisters went to MU .. and my best friend was going .. it was the safest choice.  I'd go to a different school, different geography, different major.

I think about the advice I'd give my two sons .. I believe strongly in going away for college .. so Marquette is not an option for them.  I'd steer them to a college that's in a great part of the country, a place/region they could see themselves living post-graduation.   I'd steer them to a college that has a decent D1 sport / tradition, too.  And hot chicks.

All the other stuff is just fluff.

Of course, MU (or similar) tuition when my sons go to school will be .. drum roll .. $81,000 per year.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »
I think about the advice I'd give my two sons .. I believe strongly in going away for college .. so Marquette is not an option for them.  I'd steer them to a college that's in a great part of the country, a place/region they could see themselves living post-graduation.   I'd steer them to a college that has a decent D1 sport / tradition, too.  And hot chicks.

I don't know how old your kids are, but I would tell my two now college aged kids the same thing when they were younger.  We really pushed it and took campus visits to schools all over the place.  The result?  Both went to different schools within 50 miles from home. 

Sometimes, no matter how much you impart your wisdom, they just aren't ready to think that much outside the box.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 10:40:05 AM »

And actually Cleveland is not a good example at all.  Cleveland lost 17% of its population over the past decade, and the county lost 8%.  The city of Cleveland is actually under 400,000 population right now.  It is a dying city.

Those numbers are skewed because so much of Cleveland's population was made up of LeBron's HS buddies/business associates and they all took their talents to South Beach last summer.