[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hall: Three Hearts and the Happy Ending Machine  (Read 9354 times)

tower912

• All American
Hall: Three Hearts and the Happy Ending Machine
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:58:24 PM »
MU was livin in Dreamtime tonight.
1.   Rowsey's turn tonight.   Markus a little off.   I think we can all stay away from the panic button.  He finished OK.
2.  MU was tougher than SH for 16 minutes.    Then played soft for 7 minutes.    And then rebounded (pardon the pun)
3.  Other than that bad stretch, the defense was solid and down right good at times.   
4.   Those freshmen are done being afraid.    Sure, there are going to be nights where nothing goes.   But they will attack.
5.   I don't know what is happening in practice.   In games, Froling is off balance shooting the 3.   
6.   But all of the bigs played hard and played physical.
7.  But SH is relentless.   They are top 15 for a reason.   So big, so strong. 
8.  I liked Anim pissing off Dezi.  Everybody played with passion.   Everybody contributed. 
9.  You could see SH's will break with Howard and Hauser's 3's with 5 to go. 
10.   That 'compete, compete, compete' huddle carried over to tonight.   
11.   Rebounding?!?!?!?   Holy cow.    Really accepted the challenge to team rebound tonight.  Whole team. 
12.  Is this a big enough win?    Do you not see hope?   Can you not see how it is building?  It isn't that MU won, it is HOW MU won. 
13.  Celebrate a good win, MU fans.   
14.   Because it isn't going to get easier for a while and there will be losses. 

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Hall: Three Hearts and the Happy Ending Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:02:04 PM »
Obviously Rowsey was fantastic but I thought Elliott, Heldt, and John were all outstanding.

Harry is struggling but if he can get his footing that can add another weapon.

If we can learn to consistently rebound and defend like that (granted there were lapses) we will be really tough.

Just an easy team to like and root for.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:03:52 PM »
They could have folded against Villanova, but fought the whole way, and it seemed like that carried over to today. Props to the coaches for their role in that.

Even without our shooting, we would have won that game.

GE looks very comfortable for a freshman in a BE game.

Froling is still rough but getting better.

What a win! What a team! What a future!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:08:05 PM »
In the late 80s, you could judge how the Bulls did by Jordan's stat line.  If Jordan scored a ton, that means the game was close.  If he did not, that means the rest of the team played well, or they were getting annihilated.  The problem was when Jordan went off the rest of the team would stand around watching him.

Insert Howard and MU and I see the same thing.  Howard gets 52 but we need OT to win.  Howard gets 37 and we lose.  Everyone is standing around watching Howard.  Howard gets 12 and everyone else plays basketball and we run the Hall out of the gym.

You agree?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »
That was an ass kicking, I haven't seen an MU team do that to a good team like SH in a while.

Long way to go, but man, MU would be a bi*ch to play in the NCAA's, I hope we all get to see it come March.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »
In the late 80s, you could judge how the Bulls did by Jordan's stat line.  If Jordan scored a ton, that means the game was close.  If he did not, that means the rest of the team played well, or they were getting annihilated.  The problem was when Jordan went off the rest of the team would stand around watching him.

Insert Howard and MU and I see the same thing.  Howard gets 52 but we need OT to win.  Howard gets 37 and we lose.  Everyone is standing around watching Howard.  Howard gets 12 and everyone else plays basketball and we run the Hall out of the gym.

You agree?
No.  You have the causality wrong.   Howard went off BECAUSE everybody else was standing around.    Everybody else wasn't standing around to watch Howard.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:10:55 PM »
Wojo coached this one beautifully.  Emphasized to his team that they needed to rebound to win, got a ton out of his bigs, the press really threw Hall off, didn't rush to get Howard in because he had been sitting and only had four points when he had five guys going on a tear together and a tight defense.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:13:33 PM »
No.  You have the causality wrong.   Howard went off BECAUSE everybody else was standing around.    Everybody else wasn't standing around to watch Howard.

Fair enough ... the larger point is Howard scoring more than 35 typically means we are not playing well.  Howard scoring less than 15 means a good night by everyone else, or we are getting destroyed.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 10:16:20 PM »
MU stopped double teaming Delgado most of the time in second half because he was passing off for layups, many of them.  Heldt/Theo played him straight up and did outstanding..... Did not see that coming.

Elliott has had a fantastic BE play run, he is so long and quick on defense.

Froling has a ways to go.  Missed two open threes and was 0 for 5 with two turnovers.  Any type of production from him will be just an immense help to the team.  Woo giving him minutes, so a turn around should be coming. 

Good to get a home win. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 10:16:46 PM »
There has to be at least a couple percent chance the reason we lost when Howard scored 37 was due to the fact they were playing the current number 1 team in the nation.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 10:18:52 PM »
If anyone had offered me a bet on SHU not out-rebounding MU, where if I lost I would have to kiss the ass of whoever took the bet on Main Street at noon, I would have taken it.

Our frosh are becoming almost sophs.

There were periods tonight (end of first half excepted) wher we actually played DDDDD.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 10:21:56 PM »
After Froling missed his second 3 and it went to break you could see Howard yelling at him to "keep [freaking] shooting!"  He can obviously make them.  He will.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:25:32 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:22:41 PM »

You agree?

No.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 10:22:44 PM »
When we have a game in the future where we get no calls and no loose balls and every shot the other team throws up goes in...someone please remind me of this game. It won?t help my mood at that point but it?s worth a shot.

Everything went MU?s way tonight.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 10:24:33 PM »
After Froling missed is second 3 and it went to break you could see Howard yelling at him to "keep [freaking] shooting!"  He can obviously make them.  He will.

This! love the team chemistry. when a guy is struggling like Froling is he needs people to help lift him up. Love what Howard is about.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 10:25:07 PM »
One of the most complete performances I've seen from Marquette in quite some time. Props to the coaches and the players for getting out there and absolutely dominating Seton Hall. On to Butler!

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 10:25:27 PM »
BTW, can anyone tell me why every time I type an apostrophe tonight, it turns into a question mark when I hit post?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 10:26:29 PM »
BTW, can anyone tell me why every time I type an apostrophe tonight, it turns into a question mark when I hit post?

Had the same problem when I was posting from my phone.

Also, the commentators were good and interesting to listen to tonight and the refs were good, and even favored Marquette in my opinion!  When they let teams play it's much more enjoyable to watch the game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 10:29:53 PM »
Maybe Wojo's best coaching game. Freshmen Wall?  Not foe the Motor City Duo.  Heldt was great...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 10:32:08 PM »
There has to be at least a couple percent chance the reason we lost when Howard scored 37 was due to the fact they were playing the current number 1 team in the nation.

And on the road to boot.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »

Also, the commentators were good and interesting to listen to tonight and the refs were good, and even favored Marquette in my opinion!  When they let teams play it's much more enjoyable to watch the game.

Love it when they let teams play hard without a whistle every 20 seconds.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 10:32:47 PM »

Seems to be with the new server. Though posting from my Android to test. I'm guessing it's an iPhone thing?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 10:33:41 PM »
Seems to be with the new server. Though posting from my Android to test. I'm guessing it's an iPhone thing?

Yes mine was from an iPhone.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 10:33:47 PM »
Loved it when Elliot DJO'd the miss.

Kid has some athletic ability.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 10:34:35 PM »

Agree on that, it was such a fun game to watch. Slightly homer but regardless, had good flow and the referees took a backseat to the players. Haven't seen that much thus far.

IDK if watching on CBS Sports made the difference, but, felt very different observing the game overall.

feedback