collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Understanding the 'other' persons POV  (Read 1961 times)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Understanding the 'other' persons POV
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:16:55 PM »
Given the frequency of locked threads and how everybody is predictable in their positions on any subject I thought we can start an exchange of outlets that best express our views.  NOT where you get your sources from (i.e. a bunch of links to articles) but what media best represent your point of view that I can tap into to better understand where you are coming from and, therefore, have a more civil discourse.

I was listening to some podcasts today and they both summed up my approach to political/social stuff and made me think that there are other podcasts from a conservative POV that i should listen to.  Here's my initial contribution, all of which i think do a good job of explaining the social liberal perspective without villainizing those that think differently (too much) :

- Majority 54:  the intent of the podcast is to focus on major cultural issues that divide the sides by informing the 54% that did not vote for Trump on how to discuss issues by expressing why they believe what they believe (and ultimately the idea for the thread).  there is only one episode, and Kander has a long way to go as an interviewer, but i think the one episode does a great job of talking about racial injustice from a POV few of us have. 
- Well Red: this is 3 southern liberal redneck comedians talking politics.  It's very much "F the conservatives" but they do a great job of explaining rural mindsets, diving into the dichotomy that is America today, and they're funny. You have to be able to laugh at your beliefs.   FUN FACT:  lead guy is Trea Crowder who openly roots for Jea and believes they are spirit siblings. 
- Ricky Grevais' is Deadly Sirius: equal parts insane, hilarious, heartening, disturbing and liberal.  Exactly what i want to be.
- Common Sense with Dan Carlin:  he's very much anti current political structure.  something for everyone to hate and love.  if you've never listened to him don't start with the most current one...pretty defeatist about our societal structure.

Please don't comment on whether you agree or disagree with the content of the outlet just help me with similar conservative leaning sites or podcasts.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Understanding the 'other' persons POV
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:20:12 PM »
I commend you for this attempt to open a civilized dialog. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I would hope all will use it to tell us what media helps drive their point of view rather than as another thread to attack others.

I will wait a day or two before I contribute to make sure it doesn't become just one more scrum.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 05:38:29 AM »
I use an app called NewsRepublic. It sends all the top headlines to my phone as notifications as well as stories it thinks I would find interesting based on my search history.  I can also browse the app for articles.  It pulls from hundreds of publications that range from Raw Story to Breitbart. I do avoid breitbart articles specifically,  but read articles from other publications regardless of where they fall on the spectrum.  Helps me get a wide lens view of different topics.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
I use whatfinger.com.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:53:37 PM by muwarrior69 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 08:19:39 AM »
The first Majority 54 was brilliant. Two others I listen to regularly are Stay Tuned with Preet Bharara and With Friends Like These with Ana Marie Cox.

Preet does a great job of getting poignant guests from former White House Chief of Staff Leon Panetta to discuss the operations of this White House, Republican Senator Jeff Flake to discuss the current political landscape, and director Judd Apatow to discuss Harvey Weinstein.

What I like about Friends is Cox gets guests that offer perspectives on minority and feminist views that I simply don't realize as a white male.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:22:02 AM »
I use wharfinger.com.

this site states that it is for sale $2395 or 12 payments @ $200
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 08:30:34 AM »
The first Majority 54 was brilliant. Two others I listen to regularly are Stay Tuned with Preet Bharara and With Friends Like These with Ana Marie Cox.

Preet does a great job of getting poignant guests from former White House Chief of Staff Leon Panetta to discuss the operations of this White House, Republican Senator Jeff Flake to discuss the current political landscape, and director Judd Apatow to discuss Harvey Weinstein.

What I like about Friends is Cox gets guests that offer perspectives on minority and feminist views that I simply don't realize as a white male.

serious question-is this "white male" thing really a legitimate issue or group?  it just seems like it has very recently come up and i've noticed it being used as a political "club" to minimize a group based on skin color.  thus, equating them to neo-nazis, kkk,  et.al.  in other words, more than minimizing, but downright disqualifying them from any viewpoints because they are among other things, racist.  if i'm off base, i stand corrected

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »
serious question-is this "white male" thing really a legitimate issue or group?  it just seems like it has very recently come up and i've noticed it being used as a political "club" to minimize a group based on skin color.  thus, equating them to neo-nazis, kkk,  et.al.  in other words, more than minimizing, but downright disqualifying them from any viewpoints because they are among other things, racist.  if i'm off base, i stand corrected

No, that's not at all what I meant. Just that I grew up knowing what it is to be a white man but don't know what it is to be a woman, minority, gay, immigrant, etc.

I think too often we all (white, black, gay, straight, man, woman, etc) try to look at other people's actions through our own lens of experience and I don't think that's fair. I don't know what young black men experienced growing up, or what feels like for a woman to be sexually harassed by a man, so I prefer to listen to their point of view in order to better inform my own.

In the same vein, they don't know my own experiences and I would hope would value my take on issues, especially ones that specifically impact people like me.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
No, that's not at all what I meant. Just that I grew up knowing what it is to be a white man but don't know what it is to be a woman, minority, gay, immigrant, etc.

I think too often we all (white, black, gay, straight, man, woman, etc) try to look at other people's actions through our own lens of experience and I don't think that's fair. I don't know what young black men experienced growing up, or what feels like for a woman to be sexually harassed by a man, so I prefer to listen to their point of view in order to better inform my own.

In the same vein, they don't know my own experiences and I would hope would value my take on issues, especially ones that specifically impact people like me.

no, i didn't think you meant anything by the term, but it just caused me to ask the question that i've always wondered about as it seems like a fairly new term.

i am always willing to listen to others viewpoints as long as they don't try to push it on me(i'll make up my own mind) and they respect mine.  i have a bro-in-law(married my wife's twin sister)  great guy, we get along fantastically.  he is on the opposite side of the political spectrum(and a bears/white sox/blackhawks fan, not cubs) as mine, but we can honestly discuss our differences without vocal and/or physical violence.  we can change the subject at any time without carryover nor animosity.  proof positive-we even golf together without having to watch our backs ;D

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »
no, i didn't think you meant anything by the term, but it just caused me to ask the question that i've always wondered about as it seems like a fairly new term.

i am always willing to listen to others viewpoints as long as they don't try to push it on me(i'll make up my own mind) and they respect mine.  i have a bro-in-law(married my wife's twin sister)  great guy, we get along fantastically.  he is on the opposite side of the political spectrum(and a bears/white sox/blackhawks fan, not cubs) as mine, but we can honestly discuss our differences without vocal and/or physical violence.  we can change the subject at any time without carryover nor animosity.  proof positive-we even golf together without having to watch our backs ;D

You and the bro-in-law obviously did some bonding over your son's magic green herbs.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 04:13:51 PM »
You and the bro-in-law obviously did some bonding over your son's magic green herbs.
[/quote

No, cuz that chit really does paralyze the brain for a while.  Seriously

Great antidote for eating disorders though

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »
Given the frequency of locked threads and how everybody is predictable in their positions on any subject I thought we can start an exchange of outlets that best express our views.  NOT where you get your sources from (i.e. a bunch of links to articles) but what media best represent your point of view that I can tap into to better understand where you are coming from and, therefore, have a more civil discourse.

I was listening to some podcasts today and they both summed up my approach to political/social stuff and made me think that there are other podcasts from a conservative POV that i should listen to.  Here's my initial contribution, all of which i think do a good job of explaining the social liberal perspective without villainizing those that think differently (too much) :

- Majority 54:  the intent of the podcast is to focus on major cultural issues that divide the sides by informing the 54% that did not vote for Trump on how to discuss issues by expressing why they believe what they believe (and ultimately the idea for the thread).  there is only one episode, and Kander has a long way to go as an interviewer, but i think the one episode does a great job of talking about racial injustice from a POV few of us have. 
- Well Red: this is 3 southern liberal redneck comedians talking politics.  It's very much "F the conservatives" but they do a great job of explaining rural mindsets, diving into the dichotomy that is America today, and they're funny. You have to be able to laugh at your beliefs.   FUN FACT:  lead guy is Trea Crowder who openly roots for Jea and believes they are spirit siblings. 
- Ricky Grevais' is Deadly Sirius: equal parts insane, hilarious, heartening, disturbing and liberal.  Exactly what i want to be.
- Common Sense with Dan Carlin:  he's very much anti current political structure.  something for everyone to hate and love.  if you've never listened to him don't start with the most current one...pretty defeatist about our societal structure.

Please don't comment on whether you agree or disagree with the content of the outlet just help me with similar conservative leaning sites or podcasts.

Just an observation, but if understanding the “other” point of view is your goal, then it would seem more genuine to ask for the “other” resources before offering your own.  Otherwise, it comes across as a veiled effort to push your own agenda onto someone else, even if that’s not your intent.

“Wisdom comes from the search for knowledge, not from offering your own in trade.”
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 08:40:11 PM »
Just an observation, but if understanding the “other” point of view is your goal, then it would seem more genuine to ask for the “other” resources before offering your own.  Otherwise, it comes across as a veiled effort to push your own agenda onto someone else, even if that’s not your intent.

“Wisdom comes from the search for knowledge, not from offering your own in trade.”
i get your point and it's valid.  Lets just pretend the original quote was as follows:

I was listening to some podcasts today and they both summed up my approach to political/social stuff and made me think that there are other podcasts from a conservative POV that i should listen to. 

help me with similar conservative leaning sites or podcasts.

Would that provide an avenue for those that have 'other' POVs to provide podcasts that summarize why they have those POVs?  I honestly wasn't trying to covertly push an agenda as a) the podcasts i threw out are either balanced or place their bias in humor and b) given the overt agenda pushing that occurs through 100's of threads and posts here i thought this was a pretty casual offer to share positions.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:42:40 PM by naginiF »

feedback