collapse

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1130696 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8325 on: September 16, 2020, 07:14:14 PM »
Speaking of Covid: As his press conference today, "If you take the blue states out, we're at a level I don't think anybody in the world would be at," Trump stated sedately.

How is it even possible to be that stupid?

Also, "If you don't count the games that the Dodgers won, they are the worst baseball team in the world".

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8326 on: September 16, 2020, 07:18:59 PM »
Speaking of Covid: As his press conference today, "If you take the blue states out, we're at a level I don't think anybody in the world would be at," Trump stated sedately.

Also, "If you don't count the games that the Dodgers won, they are the worst baseball team in the world".
He's right you know. *Checks data* Yup, those damn blue states of Texas, Arkansas, and Florida...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8327 on: September 16, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »

But yet those blue states definitely aren't responsible for "his" economy. Or they are. Or they weren't, but now they are. Or...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8328 on: September 16, 2020, 07:40:03 PM »

It's not stupidity.  It's callousness because, since those people don't help him, he doesn't feel their lives have as much value.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8329 on: September 16, 2020, 07:52:20 PM »
My bad.   All along, I have been following infection and death rates in all 50 states.   Shame on me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8330 on: September 16, 2020, 08:23:38 PM »

It's not stupidity.  It's callousness because, since those people don't help him, he doesn't feel their lives have as much value.

You’re right. Callousness is much better than stupid.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8331 on: September 16, 2020, 11:23:17 PM »
During an event at Hillsdale College, Attorney General William Barr suggested that the calls for a nationwide lockdown to prevent the spread of the coronavirus were the "greatest intrusion on civil liberties" in history "other than slavery”.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8332 on: September 17, 2020, 08:09:59 AM »
I was just reading about Hillsdale College in the recent Connecticut Magazine.. I didn't realize they were all about pushing fringe outlandish discredited Constitutional theories.

The article was about the 105 year old founder of Friendly's ice cream and restaurants.  He sold his house in Somers, CT which is a replica of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello to Hillsdale.  The house is in the middle of a very residential neighborhood.  They went to the town to use it for educational seminars.  After some controversy the town approved with all kind of day, hour, number of people, and parking restrictions.  Hillsdale did not like the conditions so they came back and filed for "religious seminars and teaching".  And there is some federal law on religion that the town cannot counter sue because they will automatically lose because of the law and also have to pay legal fees of the other party.  The town was pissed.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:43:21 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8333 on: September 17, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »
Living in Michigan, as soon as I hear 'Hillsdale', I assume politics I will disagree with.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8334 on: September 17, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »
Living in Michigan, as soon as I hear 'Hillsdale', I assume politics I will disagree with.

Being a Packers fan, I hear Hillsdale College and think Chester Marcol.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8335 on: September 17, 2020, 03:27:17 PM »
Related to upticks in cases, and "close to home",  after months of no Covid cases at my workplace, we've now had 3 positives in the past week (folks that had been in the office).  There were a few right at the beginning of all this, before they sent most people to WFH, but nothing since.  The office has been at 50% capacity for months. Guessing this is the "labor day" bump in cases, but concerning since it's largely been controlled among my coworkers until now. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8336 on: September 17, 2020, 03:30:32 PM »
Guessing this is the "labor day" bump in cases, but concerning since it's largely been controlled among my coworkers until now. 

With no evidence: I think a reasonable guess, along with the holiday, is everyone's kids going back to school.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8337 on: September 17, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »
With no evidence: I think a reasonable guess, along with the holiday, is everyone's kids going back to school.

Concur, that could be, but most every school district around my work is full virtual at least until later in Sept, or Oct sometime.

Nonetheless, an uptick in positive cases is starting to develop nationwide.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:36:52 PM by rocky_warrior »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8338 on: September 17, 2020, 03:47:07 PM »

Concur, that could be, but most every school district around my work is full virtual at least until later in Sept, or Oct sometime.

Nonetheless, an uptick in positive cases is starting to develop nationwide.

And the midwest is leading the way. The top states for cases per 100,000 residents over the past 7 days:

1. North Dakota
2. South Dakota
3. Missouri
4. Wisconsin
5. Arkansas
6. Iowa

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#hotspots

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8339 on: September 17, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »
And the midwest is leading the way. The top states for cases per 100,000 residents over the past 7 days:

1. North Dakota
2. South Dakota
3. Missouri
4. Wisconsin
5. Arkansas
6. Iowa

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#hotspots

Quite a few of those within motorcycle driving distance of Sturgis...  Plus schools, plus colleges, plus labor day...

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8340 on: September 17, 2020, 04:53:50 PM »
Olivia Troye, a former Mike Pence aide and member of the White House Covid task Force, condemned Trump for once saying in a meeting that the coronavirus was a good thing because he wouldn’t have to shake hands with as many people. “I don’t like shaking hands with people,” Troye recalled the president saying. “I don’t have to shake hands with these disgusting people.”

Yup.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8341 on: September 17, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »
I wish I was surprised by this, but I am not....

C.D.C. Testing Guidance Was Published Against Scientists’ Objections

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/health/coronavirus-testing-cdc.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

A heavily criticized recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last month about who should be tested for the coronavirus was not written by C.D.C. scientists and was posted to the agency’s website despite their serious objections, according to several people familiar with the matter as well as internal documents obtained by The New York Times.

The guidance said it was not necessary to test people without symptoms of Covid-19 even if they had been exposed to the virus. It came at a time when public health experts were pushing for more testing rather than less, and administration officials told The Times that the document was a C.D.C. product and had been revised with input from the agency’s director, Dr. Robert Redfield.

But officials told The Times this week that the health department did the rewriting itself and then “dropped” it into the C.D.C.’s public website, flouting the agency’s strict scientific review process.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8342 on: September 17, 2020, 07:17:17 PM »
I wish I was surprised by this, but I am not....

C.D.C. Testing Guidance Was Published Against Scientists’ Objections

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/health/coronavirus-testing-cdc.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

A heavily criticized recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last month about who should be tested for the coronavirus was not written by C.D.C. scientists and was posted to the agency’s website despite their serious objections, according to several people familiar with the matter as well as internal documents obtained by The New York Times.

The guidance said it was not necessary to test people without symptoms of Covid-19 even if they had been exposed to the virus. It came at a time when public health experts were pushing for more testing rather than less, and administration officials told The Times that the document was a C.D.C. product and had been revised with input from the agency’s director, Dr. Robert Redfield.

But officials told The Times this week that the health department did the rewriting itself and then “dropped” it into the C.D.C.’s public website, flouting the agency’s strict scientific review process.

The Killer promised less testing,...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8343 on: September 17, 2020, 08:18:24 PM »
Nm

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8344 on: September 17, 2020, 08:42:05 PM »
Stop.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8345 on: September 17, 2020, 08:49:58 PM »
I am imposing a suspension on myself for at least 3 days.

I don’t think what I said is factually wrong. But it is not appropriate in this forum and was said in a fashion that is not proper.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8346 on: September 17, 2020, 09:19:05 PM »

I don’t think what I said is factually wrong. But it is not appropriate in this forum and was said in a fashion that is not proper.

Please don’t!!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8347 on: September 17, 2020, 10:49:32 PM »

jocksniff beat the rock and/or topper to it except 3 days is about 48 short
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8348 on: September 18, 2020, 01:21:51 AM »

I'll accept that.  But when you return, I expect you to consider "does this do anything to help the current conversation" before you click the post button.  If not, we can give you more time to figure that out.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8349 on: September 18, 2020, 01:46:45 AM »
The beat article I've read yet on the rona.

Factual, non-political, and in people terms.

https://elemental.medium.com/amp/p/30430384e5a5?source=social.tw&__twitter_impression=true