collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Terri Mitchell leaves game after being struck in head  (Read 5687 times)

Jimbo

• Walk-On
Terri Mitchell leaves game after being struck in head
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
Terri Mitchell had to leave tonight's game after being struck in the head by a loose ball.  Hope she's ok.  http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=6013311&campaign=rss&source=ESPNUHeadlines

🏀

• All American
Re: Terri Mitchell leaves game after being struck in head
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:13:59 PM »
Great contribution, Jimbo.

Let's see how many jokes we can post in 20 minutes.

"I'm not surprised, Terri isn't used to balls coming at her face."

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »
Did you forget your teal?  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:52:59 AM by rugbydrummer »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:43:26 AM »
The good news is MU beats #7 and previously unbeaten WVU by 15.  Looks like we have a good team this year.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »
Are the women's team turning things around? Two wins in a row over ranked teams.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
The good news is MU beats #7 and previously unbeaten WVU by 15.  Looks like we have a good team this year.

2-2 in conference and 14-3 overall. Minus the shalacking we took at the hands of ND and UConn they've done well this year. Only other loss came to Creighton and they're 3-0 on the MValley. besides beating WVU, they beat UW-GB (18/23) and Gtown (17/18). Beat WI too, they're 8-8 but 3-0 in conference. Hope they get some AP rankings love

Plus we landed 2 top centers for next year (including an ESPN top 100)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
Are the women's team turning things around? Two wins in a row over ranked teams.

Playing better as a "team". 

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
I would love to see some video of this. How fast was this ball going???
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
I would love to see some video of this. How fast was this ball going???

There was a Marquette internet broadcast of the game.  Those broadcasts were supposed to be archived according to an MU release earlier this season.  But i can't find a like for an archived broadcast and the link for the live broadcast for last night isn't working now.

The ball was moving at a pretty good rate of speed and the big issue was Terri had no time to react - it hit flush off her temple and it was fortunate that her assistants were able to catch her so she didn't hit her head on the floor.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:59:05 PM »
Plus we landed 2 top centers for next year (including an ESPN top 100)

Maybe Mitchell can show Buzz how to recruit a big man.  She's succeeded in recruiting some big women.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »
The ball was moving at a pretty good rate of speed and the big issue was Terri had no time to react - it hit flush off her temple and it was fortunate that her assistants were able to catch her so she didn't hit her head on the floor.

I still really want to see this. I just cannot picture how fast that loose ball was going to cause dizzines. If it hit her square on the nose I could understand, and I do understand the affects of being hit on the temple and dizziness, but I just cannot envision how this went down.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »
I'd like to see it too, but I'm pretty sure the ladies aren't playing with nerf basketballs.  They are pretty hard, properly inflated.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »
I still really want to see this. I just cannot picture how fast that loose ball was going to cause dizzines. If it hit her square on the nose I could understand, and I do understand the affects of being hit on the temple and dizziness, but I just cannot envision how this went down.

The play was close to the Marquette bench and Tatiyiana McMorris deflected the ball as she was trying for a steal and reports said Mitchell appeared to be looking away from the play at the time.  It hit right off her head (I didn't see exactly where as I sit behind the MU bench and it happened so fast) and she had to be caught by her assistants so she didn't fall to the ground.  I can see how it would cause dizziness since she was hit in the head and with how fast the ball was likely moving when it hit off her head.  I wouldn't be surprised if she got a concussion from it but I have no idea if that happened.  I haven't heard any update on her condition since Tuesday night but I'm sure she's fine - doesn't seem like this is anything that would linger for too long.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »
The tv news reported last night that she suffered a concussion...I think it was TMJ-4.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
The tv news reported last night that she suffered a concussion...I think it was TMJ-4.

Someone get her on injured reserve ASAP.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 10:17:38 PM »
I thought a basketball was too soft for the speed it is going to cause a concussion. Especially if it was deflected.  That's one hell of a pass!  I guess if it hits you in the temple though.....

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 07:53:57 AM »
Alot of times you can get a concussion if your head is jarred, effectively slamming your brain against your skull and bruising your brain.  (I've had several.)
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 09:16:42 AM »
Alot of times you can get a concussion if your head is jarred, effectively slamming your brain against your skull and bruising your brain.  (I've had several.)

concussions, aka mild traumatic brain injuries (mTBI), are no joke.

"Mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI), a term synonymous with concussion, is an acute, complex pathophysiologic process that is induced via traumatic biomechanical forces.

mTBI resolves rapidly over days to weeks with no significant long-term sequelae. However, some patients who sustain mTBI experience postconcussive syndrome (PCS) for years after the original injury.
"

http://www.jaapa.com/concussion-assessment-of-traumatic-brain-injuries/article/190451/

feedback