collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318382 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #2425 on: December 03, 2020, 03:16:40 PM »
What’s the reason behind that you think?

There’s obviously plenty of tests to be had if you want one.  Any chance we’re on the back end of our surge and there just isn’t that many symptomatic people looking to get a test or is there something else you think is going on?

I honestly don’t know. The number of confirmed cases seems to have gone down much more quickly in Wisconsin than I have seen anywhere else, leading me to suspect that cases are going undiagnosed. The high positivity also points in this direction.

But as to why, or whether it is a real downward trend, I couldn’t tell you.

For the sake of the many family members I have living in the state, I hope the trend is real, and not just an artifact of inadequate  testing.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2426 on: December 03, 2020, 03:24:50 PM »

I honestly don’t know. The number of confirmed cases seems to have gone down much more quickly in Wisconsin than I have seen anywhere else, leading me to suspect that cases are going undiagnosed. The high positivity also points in this direction.

But as to why, or whether it is a real downward trend, I couldn’t tell you.

For the sake of the many family members I have living in the state, I hope the trend is real, and not just an artifact of inadequate  testing.

I’m with ya in hoping for the best.

If testing was adequate and available for the past 2 months during the surge I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt that it remains adequate and available.

Either people are symptomatic and not getting tested at the same rate (no bueno) but nothing anyone can really do about that or there just aren’t as many folks feeling like sh*t.

It wasn’t going to go up and up forever so hoping people took necessary precautions to slow this thing down.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2427 on: December 03, 2020, 03:46:31 PM »
It’s puff puff pass....bro

I’m just posting Wisconsin Hospital Association numbers and trends.  How does that warrant such a weird response?

First off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s_zsOyHbVY

Secondly, we are not even remotely close to the worst of this yet, nor are we on the back end of our surge.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2428 on: December 03, 2020, 03:57:45 PM »
First off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s_zsOyHbVY

Secondly, we are not even remotely close to the worst of this yet, nor are we on the back end of our surge.

Good call with the link, don’t remember that specific line obviously but great movie!  I stand corrected bro.

No one can say for sure if we are or aren’t on the back end  of it.  Nothing wrong with hoping that we are right?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2429 on: December 03, 2020, 04:00:16 PM »
Thanksgiving is barely showing in the data. This will get much, much worse.

If you want to know what it looks like when a country gives up, keep refreshing the Covid numbers over the next 6-8 weeks.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2430 on: December 03, 2020, 04:03:35 PM »
Thanksgiving is barely showing in the data. This will get much, much worse.

If you want to know what it looks like when a country gives up, keep refreshing the Covid numbers over the next 6-8 weeks.

True, I’ve heard you’re supposed to wait 3-5 days after exposure to get tested.  If that’s right we should be seeing the effects in the numbers soon.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2431 on: December 03, 2020, 04:19:10 PM »
True, I’ve heard you’re supposed to wait 3-5 days after exposure to get tested.  If that’s right we should be seeing the effects in the numbers soon.

5 days minimum for mRNA PCR test

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2432 on: December 03, 2020, 04:40:38 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  I was going off of tests by person.  Even with the data you cite, there has been a pretty sizable downturn in testing.

Colleges students are home so not as much testing of that age group

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2433 on: December 03, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »
Colleges students are home so not as much testing of that age group

Most UW schools are still on campus right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2434 on: December 05, 2020, 07:28:17 PM »
Most UW schools are still on campus right?

I thought they were home now until 2nd semester, but i might be wrong.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2435 on: December 09, 2020, 02:29:45 PM »
Since WI hit a record high 3 weeks ago cases have been going down.  Hospitals are in better shape with 500 less covid patients.
Hopefully people have learned and keep up the good fight.  No time to relax but it is good to see

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2436 on: December 09, 2020, 03:03:08 PM »
Since WI hit a record high 3 weeks ago cases have been going down.  Hospitals are in better shape with 500 less covid patients.
Hopefully people have learned and keep up the good fight.  No time to relax but it is good to see

Total tests given have fallen by nearly 50% in Wisconsin, from 45k down to 25k per day

The positive rate in Wisconsin is still 29%. Wild.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2437 on: December 09, 2020, 03:23:40 PM »
Total tests given have fallen by nearly 50% in Wisconsin, from 45k down to 25k per day

I know that is the strange part. 
The hospitals getting a bit of a break is what I like to see.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2438 on: December 09, 2020, 04:04:49 PM »

I see that and think, wow, 71% of the people getting tested didn't need to wait in line all that time.

I am .. surprised that WI hit a peak ~20 days ago and had a steady decline.  The only explanation I can think of is that people .. actually started to heed the warnings.    And that just can't be right.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2439 on: December 09, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »
I see that and think, wow, 71% of the people getting tested didn't need to wait in line all that time.

I am .. surprised that WI hit a peak ~20 days ago and had a steady decline.  The only explanation I can think of is that people .. actually started to heed the warnings.    And that just can't be right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANEoRPlJ1z4

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2440 on: December 09, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »

It's odd that Wisconsin is testing 1/5th the number of people that Illinois is (IL is testing on average 100k people per day).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2441 on: December 09, 2020, 06:34:49 PM »
It's odd that Wisconsin is testing 1/5th the number of people that Illinois is (IL is testing on average 100k people per day).

Also far fewer than MN, which has been averaging about 50k tests per day. And MN’s population is slightly smaller than WI’s.

MN’s positivity rate is currently about 10%. High, but not outrageously so.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:36:42 PM by GooooMarquette »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2442 on: December 10, 2020, 09:11:43 AM »
Also far fewer than MN, which has been averaging about 50k tests per day. And MN’s population is slightly smaller than WI’s.

For me it’s only a couple different scenarios that can be playing out.  The general public obviously knows the symptoms of Covid at this point, so guessing those with minor/controllable symptoms do not feel the need for the confirmation via a test and just assume they have it.  In that case hopefully they’re being responsible and isolating per CDC guidelines.  With hospitalizations on a steady decline it suggests to me people are being responsible more then they’re not.

Or two we’ve handled the worst or our surge and the infection is starting to lose it’’s grip on the state.  Either way let’s hope for the continued decline in hospitalizations and a return to normalcy soon!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2443 on: December 10, 2020, 09:18:09 AM »
For me it’s only a couple different scenarios that can be playing out.  The general public obviously knows the symptoms of Covid at this point, so guessing those with minor/controllable symptoms do not feel the need for the confirmation via a test and just assume they have it.  In that case hopefully they’re being responsible and isolating per CDC guidelines.  With hospitalizations on a steady decline it suggests to me people are being responsible more then they’re not.

Or two we’ve handled the worst or our surge and the infection is starting to lose it’’s grip on the state.  Either way let’s hope for the continued decline in hospitalizations and a return to normalcy soon!

Hopefully you're right. It just seems odd that the testing numbers and positivity rates would be so dramatically different than in neighboring states, especially since the knowledge of symptoms would seem to be essentially the same throughout the region.

Anyway, it would be nice if you're right. With vaccine access for the general public still months away, we could use some good news....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:19:50 AM by GooooMarquette »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2444 on: December 10, 2020, 09:19:53 AM »

Is MN reporting total tests or only first-time tests like WI?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2445 on: December 10, 2020, 09:25:36 AM »
Is MN reporting total tests or only first-time tests like WI?

WI reports both, while MN is only reporting total tests.

But even when you compare 'positivity rates' using total tests, the rate in WI is about 40% higher (approx. 13% to 9%).  And there is a dramatic difference in the total number of tests per day.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2446 on: December 10, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »

Hopefully you're right. It just seems odd that the testing numbers and positivity rates would be so dramatically different than in neighboring states, especially since the knowledge of symptoms would seem to be essentially the same throughout the region.

Anyway, it would be nice if you're right. With vaccine access for the general public still months away, we could use some good news....

Does WI report all tests, or just the PCR tests. Some states will not report the 15-minute rapid, or antigen tests. As those become more popular and available, you might simply see fewer "tests" being reported as they simply shift to these other tests.

Similarly on case numbers. Not sure about WI, but some states only report positive tests if they were from the PCR test, positive tests from 15-minute rapid, or antigen tests are not included in the total number of cases/positive tests.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2447 on: December 10, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »
Illinois reports both PCR and antigen, I believe.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2448 on: December 10, 2020, 04:31:39 PM »
Wisconsin numbers all around are just strange.

https://www.wha.org/COVID19Update

Hospitalizations and cases mirror pretty close.  always thought cases would be a few more days ahead  - I suspect this is cause people have waited until they need to be hospitalized before they get tested.  That could also be reason for the low testing numbers.  People feel the symptoms quarantine until it gets too bad.  Then you either go to the hospital get confirmed or stay home and ride it out

Number of tests has been between 10,000-20,000 since end of May.  Would be nice if data was measured the same all over the country might help to understand things better,

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2449 on: December 10, 2020, 05:38:52 PM »

Would be nice if data was measured the same all over the country might help to understand things better

Completely agree.

Quite frankly, this is one of the reasons it would have been ideal to allow CDC to be more involved from the start. We could have gotten a better handle on the pandemic if we had centralized processes for acquiring and distributing PPE, contact tracing, and tracking and reporting infections across the country.