collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318275 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #1950 on: October 02, 2020, 10:14:18 AM »
I'm not sure what this means. Herd immunity?

It means no matter what we do it will spread.  WE can stay in our basements for the next year and it will still be around and then it will get us then.  The entire idea is to slow the spread, impossible to stop the spread.

So yes herd immunity but over a long period of time

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1951 on: October 02, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »
Virtually every expert says herd immunity, unless through a vaccine, is not even close, and would costs millions of lives if attainable.  Smallpox, polio, none of those were eliminated without a vaccine.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #1952 on: October 02, 2020, 11:13:10 AM »
Virtually every expert says herd immunity, unless through a vaccine, is not even close, and would costs millions of lives if attainable.  Smallpox, polio, none of those were eliminated without a vaccine.

Notice I said over a long period of time.  So that included with the vaccine.   So with a vaccine and a slow spread of the virus we get back to normal

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1954 on: October 02, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »

Instead of focusing on the very small % of people who refuse to wear a mask for whatever reason why can’t you just come to the realization that this thing needs to run it’s course.

My office in Brookfield has a mask mandate when in the building except none of the Trumpeters working here will wear a mask anyway. We don't have any mask police so it isn't even questioned, just try to stay 6 feet away.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:18:22 PM by Spotcheck Billy »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1955 on: October 02, 2020, 12:19:37 PM »
My office in Brookfield has a mask mandate when in the building except none of the Trumpeters working here will wear a mask anyway. We don't have any mask police so it isn't even questioned, just try to stay 6 feet away.

in my personal office I can go maskless, but anytime I leave it masks are required.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1956 on: October 02, 2020, 12:56:58 PM »
I don't believe the wearing of masks in stores is what drives the virus that much.  Yes, wear your masks.  It's a risk.

But "close contacts" are being within 6 feet for 15 minutes.  That doesn't happen at the gas station.  (Wear your mask anyways.)

It's all the bars and restaurants, parties, family gatherings, rallies (and protests) and challenging work environments that are the high risk areas. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1957 on: October 03, 2020, 06:52:53 AM »
Wow, you could not come across more arrogant or obnoxious.  It is these “podunk” hospitals with third rate staff and equipment that you despise who are now being asked to take on Covid positive patients because the urban, high brow, metro areas they surround are being over run and have no beds.

Instead of focusing on the very small % of people who refuse to wear a mask for whatever reason why can’t you just come to the realization that this thing needs to run it’s course.  Mitigation measures are put in place to mitigate, not eradicate.  It’s the worst damn global pandemic of our lifetimes and to treat every person who contracts COVID or god forbid dies from it as a moron who wouldn’t wear a mask says more about you then the freedom thumping hillbillies you are obsessed with.

I regret checking in to see how things were going on this page.

This might be the most ignorant thing I've read on this board ever.  Been on COVID team since April.  Since about the middle of the June 90% of our COVID patients have not been from our metro county, but from the small county hospitals around us.  I will leave it at that.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1958 on: October 03, 2020, 08:04:27 AM »
This might be the most ignorant thing I've read on this board ever.  Been on COVID team since April.  Since about the middle of the June 90% of our COVID patients have not been from our metro county, but from the small county hospitals around us.  I will leave it at that.

What part of the state is your hospital?  Maybe it’s not an area I’ve been too recently I’m just sharing with what I’ve been told about bed management issues up in NE Wisco.  That they are now transferring Covid patients out to critical access hospitals in rural areas cause the larger city hospitals have no room.

Maybe we’re both being a little ignorant/tunneled vision in what we are personally seeing and hearing the last couple weeks with this most recent surge. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1959 on: October 03, 2020, 08:14:14 AM »
What part of the state is your hospital?  Maybe it’s not an area I’ve been too recently I’m just sharing with what I’ve been told about bed management issues up in NE Wisco.  That they are now transferring Covid patients out to critical access hospitals in rural areas cause the larger city hospitals have no room.

Maybe we’re both being a little ignorant/tunneled vision in what we are personally seeing and hearing the last couple weeks with this most recent surge.

"Both sides.."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1960 on: October 03, 2020, 08:20:13 AM »
Remember back in the day when the theory that counties and municipalities were better able to manage this because of varying levels of spread across the state?  And that is why statewide mandates weren't necessary?

Now look at Wisconsin.  An absolute disaster.

And its all a result of our political disaster.  A legislature that is doing nothing.  A governor who wakes up every so often to issue a toothless statement.

A negotiated approach, with give and take by all sides, would have left us in a better place.  Instead we have this.  A very sad statement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1961 on: October 03, 2020, 09:20:03 AM »
Every time I check in on this thread, I am grateful for our NC governor, who has handled both the pandemic response and the political side of things about as well as possible.

Like the Wis governor, he is a Dem dealing with a GOP state legislature. He has earned his salary this year, and then some.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1962 on: October 03, 2020, 11:27:57 AM »

1. Where is a "critical access hospital in rural areas?" You literally said in your first post that they have third rate equipment.  Why would hospitals send their patients to places that don't have the equipment to treat them?  The only way I could see this happening is if the patients are not ready to return home, if there are no "step down places" (skilled nursing facilities, who refuse to accept for various reasons). But those patients are not in critical care.  There could also be times where hospitals wouldn't accept patients because of space, but those are the breaks.  I haven't seen it yet.

2. In an earlier post, you mentioned that you travel all over the state to different hospitals, but now it's concentrated to NE Wisconsin.  I get there are metro areas of Appleton, Oshkosh, Green Bay, but those lines are pretty blurred.  If you start telling me that patients are getting transferred out of Madison to say Fort Atkinson, then you would be correct.  But that isn't happening and the exact opposite has happened probably hundreds of times since this started.

3. If you work the majority of your days in a hospital, wear a mask and promote mask wearing by everyone.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1963 on: October 03, 2020, 03:03:44 PM »
1. Where is a "critical access hospital in rural areas?" You literally said in your first post that they have third rate equipment.  Why would hospitals send their patients to places that don't have the equipment to treat them?  The only way I could see this happening is if the patients are not ready to return home, if there are no "step down places" (skilled nursing facilities, who refuse to accept for various reasons). But those patients are not in critical care.  There could also be times where hospitals wouldn't accept patients because of space, but those are the breaks.  I haven't seen it yet.

2. In an earlier post, you mentioned that you travel all over the state to different hospitals, but now it's concentrated to NE Wisconsin.  I get there are metro areas of Appleton, Oshkosh, Green Bay, but those lines are pretty blurred.  If you start telling me that patients are getting transferred out of Madison to say Fort Atkinson, then you would be correct.  But that isn't happening and the exact opposite has happened probably hundreds of times since this started.

3. If you work the majority of your days in a hospital, wear a mask and promote mask wearing by everyone.

1) Critical access hospitals are typically only found in rural areas, I’m confused by you question/statement.  I never once said they have third rate staff and equipment, that was a comment made by Hards_ that I full heartedly disagreed with. 

You are exactly right in that the acute care hospitals of the Fox valley/GB area are running out of beds on their Covid units because majority of patients they’re seeing are from assisted living, SNFs, or nursing home type settings who won’t let that patient return until a negative test.  Majority of these folks ive been told aren’t sick enough to justify the extended LOS but are stuck waiting for the virus to run its course. 

2) I’ve been working in that area of the state for last couple weeks but do travel the entire state, just have been spending majority of my time up there working on a project.

3) I have, I do, and I will

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1964 on: October 03, 2020, 03:18:47 PM »
Every time I check in on this thread, I am grateful for our NC governor, who has handled both the pandemic response and the political side of things about as well as possible.

Like the Wis governor, he is a Dem dealing with a GOP state legislature. He has earned his salary this year, and then some.

Similar here in MN, except our legislature is split (Senate controlled by GOP; House by Dems). While I haven't agreed with every decision our Governor has made, he has done a solid job in an impossible time. Every state around us has dramatically higher per capita rates of illness, even though MN tests more and has dealt with everything from the George Floyd killing and protests to several Trump rallies.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1965 on: October 03, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »

Similar here in MN, except our legislature is split (Senate controlled by GOP; House by Dems). While I haven't agreed with every decision our Governor has made, he has done a solid job in an impossible time. Every state around us has dramatically higher per capita rates of illness, even though MN tests more and has dealt with everything from the George Floyd killing and protests to several Trump rallies.

Yep yep. There have been a couple decisions that have left me scratchin' my head, but overall I'm quite impressed with what he's done and the explanations he has given. Like you, we have fared much better than our peers, especially the last few months. And he's done it with the state legislature and the president second-guessing him at every turn.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1966 on: October 03, 2020, 04:43:40 PM »
Yep yep. There have been a couple decisions that have left me scratchin' my head, but overall I'm quite impressed with what he's done and the explanations he has given. Like you, we have fared much better than our peers, especially the last few months. And he's done it with the state legislature and the president second-guessing him at every turn.

MN and NC have done great especially when you’re looking at deaths per capita.

You know who has done better, Wisco!!

• All American
« Reply #1967 on: October 03, 2020, 04:51:04 PM »

Wisconsin should be praised for anything. We are a disaster.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1968 on: October 03, 2020, 05:02:12 PM »

Earlier peaks, before as much was known about how to treat COVID. And here in MN, many of the early cases (and deaths) were in meat processing plants in rural parts of the state, so treatment was slow.

Context is important.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:03:57 PM by GooooMarquette »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1969 on: October 03, 2020, 05:34:46 PM »
Earlier peaks, before as much was known about how to treat COVID. And here in MN, many of the early cases (and deaths) were in meat processing plants in rural parts of the state, so treatment was slow.

Context is important.

Both Wisconsin and Minnesota essentially have the same overall population with the same 7 day moving avg for number of deaths so if you’re happy with MN you should be happy with WI, no?

NC has 10 mil people versus Wisconsin’s 6 mil with a 7 day moving bag of deaths almost 3x’s that of Wisconsin??

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1970 on: October 03, 2020, 05:51:30 PM »
Both Wisconsin and Minnesota essentially have the same overall population with the same 7 day moving avg for number of deaths so if you’re happy with MN you should be happy with WI, no?

NC has 10 mil people versus Wisconsin’s 6 mil with a 7 day moving bag of deaths almost 3x’s that of Wisconsin??

I don't know where you're getting your data, but according to the New York Times, the 7-day moving average for deaths is 1.4 per 100,000 in WI, and 1.2 per 100,000 in MN (17% higher in WI). And the 7-day average for new cases is 303 in WI and 127 in MN (137% higher in WI).

Neither is the 'same.' And since new cases -> hospitalizations -> deaths, the disparity in deaths is going to get worse before it gets better.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1971 on: October 03, 2020, 06:04:40 PM »

I don't know where you're getting your data, but according to the New York Times, the 7-day moving average for deaths is 1.4 per 100,000 in WI, and 1.2 per 100,000 in MN (17% higher in WI). And the 7-day average for new cases is 303 in WI and 127 in MN (137% higher in WI).

Neither is the 'same.' And since new cases -> hospitalizations -> deaths, the disparity in deaths is going to get worse before it gets better.

We shall see how the next couple months shake out.  I agree that MN has done well, just surprised you can’t bring yourself to admitting WI has also done a pretty good job when our overall numbers are better and recent numbers are comparable (talking deaths of course).

Overall infection number as of late doesn’t concern me as much as who is getting it.  You’re right in that hospitalizations are up and deaths recently as well.  🙏 those trends reverse themselves soon!

• All American
« Reply #1972 on: October 03, 2020, 06:26:37 PM »
We shall see how the next couple months shake out.  I agree that MN has done well, just surprised you can’t bring yourself to admitting WI has also done a pretty good job when our overall numbers are better and recent numbers are comparable (talking deaths of course).

Overall infection number as of late doesn’t concern me as much as who is getting it.  You’re right in that hospitalizations are up and deaths recently as well.  🙏 those trends reverse themselves soon!

They won’t be if we don’t stop setting new records for new cases.

Its like you’re being willingly stupid.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1973 on: October 03, 2020, 06:50:05 PM »
They won’t be if we don’t stop setting new records for new cases.

Its like you’re being willingly stupid.

I played in a golf outing this morning that had a buffet lunch after.  Many seniors played in it and were sitting in the clubhouse without masks and not social distancing.  I happily ate my lunch outside sitting on my trunk of my car.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1974 on: October 03, 2020, 07:34:52 PM »

I can’t bring myself to admit that Wisconsin has done a pretty good job because it hasn’t. It is one of the country’s major hotspots right now.

And if you go back in the thread, you will see that I said I have concerns with some of the decisions Minnesota’s governor has made, and hope we do better even better than we’re doing.

You can be happy with how things are going in Wisconsin if you like, but if I have to ride out the pandemic in one state or the other, I am happy to be doing it west of the Mississippi River.