collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318230 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #1800 on: September 24, 2020, 10:05:18 AM »
And rural Illinois needs Chicago... which they bash constantly.  What's your point?  That a big city radiates financial power?

You don't say.

My point is the incessant Illinois bashing from the cheeseheads here is tiring, misplaced, at times factually inaccurate and typically borne out of either jealousy or the unhappy realization of how much you depend on us.
Case in point ... companies like Foxconn are understandably happy to rip off your government for all the money they can get, but we all know they wouldn't even give Wisconsin the time of day if their trucks couldn't hop on the interstate and be in the Chicago market in 20 minutes.

So, to borrow a line from Col. Nathan Jessup, we'd rather you just said 'thank you' and went on your way.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: September 24, 2020, 10:22:14 AM »
I grew up in Oshkosh. I keep seeing old high school friends on social media drinking at bars, swimming in sand bars, no masks , etc. as if nothing is happening.

It infuriates me. Both of my parents are in Wisconsin and in high risk categories. Both are taking precautions as much as they can, but have to go into work.  If one of them gets sick due to the idiocy of people in their 20s and 30s....

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1802 on: September 24, 2020, 10:52:40 AM »
https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/indiana-governor-keeps-mask-order-drops-other-coronavirus-limits/

The other state boards aren’t active anymore so I am posting this here, as a midwestern thing. Indiana dropping all restrictions but masking. Which means even more people crossing the border, and more pressure on JB, ‘because we should be open if Indiana and Wisconsin are’. I have zero faith in people.
Even aside from how a national plan is needed, if we could have actually had a regional plan we would be better off.

Warriors4ever

• All American

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: September 24, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/track-and-compare-coronavirus-positivity-rates-in-10-midwestern-states-here-2/2344024/

More food for thought

Okay, I am going to ask a dumb question.  How is comparing these percentages meaningful if the mix of people taking the test isn't exactly the same in each test group?

In some places, it is easy to get a test no if you are symptomatic, asymptomatic but exposed to Covid, or just for the hell of it.  In other places, they are focusing on symptomatic people.  How can you compare the percentage positive between the two groups when the denominators in your calculation may be completely different?

Just this morning, the news in Wisconsin reported a dip in the percentage positive, but the reporter added that it was likely due to an uptick in testing.  If the percentage positive is being used to measure the spread, especially compared to other states, why would the increased testing matter? 
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1805 on: September 24, 2020, 11:10:28 AM »
Okay, I am going to ask a dumb question.  How is comparing these percentages meaningful if the mix of people taking the test isn't exactly the same in each test group?

In some places, it is easy to get a test no if you are symptomatic, asymptomatic but exposed to Covid, or just for the hell of it.  In other places, they are focusing on symptomatic people.  How can you compare the percentage positive between the two groups when the denominators in your calculation may be completely different?

Just this morning, the news in Wisconsin reported a dip in the percentage positive, but the reporter added that it was likely due to an uptick in testing.  If the percentage positive is being used to measure the spread, especially compared to other states, why would the increased testing matter?

Agreed. Positive per 100k seems like a fair assessment not percent positive unless you're trying to put the numbers in context of more tests = more discovering positive cases each day.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1806 on: September 24, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
My point is the incessant Illinois bashing from the cheeseheads here is tiring, misplaced, at times factually inaccurate and typically borne out of either jealousy or the unhappy realization of how much you depend on us.
Case in point ... companies like Foxconn are understandably happy to rip off your government for all the money they can get, but we all know they wouldn't even give Wisconsin the time of day if their trucks couldn't hop on the interstate and be in the Chicago market in 20 minutes.

So, to borrow a line from Col. Nathan Jessup, we'd rather you just said 'thank you' and went on your way.

Any private business would have given any sucker government the time of day for that sweetheart deal.  Proximity to Chicago has exactly zero to do with that.  But that is the Chicago arrogance that rubs the cheeseheads the wrong way.  Wisconsin gave away more money than anyone else (smartly) was willing to... and that's why Foxconn chose Wisconsin.

Furthermore, I wouldn't cast stones about dysfunctional government while standing in IL. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: September 24, 2020, 11:44:38 AM »
https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/indiana-governor-keeps-mask-order-drops-other-coronavirus-limits/

The other state boards aren’t active anymore so I am posting this here, as a midwestern thing. Indiana dropping all restrictions but masking. Which means even more people crossing the border, and more pressure on JB, ‘because we should be open if Indiana and Wisconsin are’. I have zero faith in people.
Even aside from how a national plan is needed, if we could have actually had a regional plan we would be better off.

Indiana resident here -

The conspiracy theorist in me says the governor is moving forward with reopening despite stats showing Indiana is doing as poorly as ever controlling covid due to recent voter polls demonstrating the governor losing ground to his libertarian challenger over the issue of continued lockdown.

That, or the state feels the people are adhering to mask wearing and that's enough to prevent spread.

Note that local governments can still put forth more restrictive guidelines if they want. Indy will likely keep more restricted

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1808 on: September 24, 2020, 11:52:32 AM »

You are entirely correct.   It makes very little sense.  A bit.  A skosh.  It's something, but without magnitudes of people being tested it means very little and it's fascinating how much ink it gets.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: September 24, 2020, 11:57:29 AM »

It’s been explained to me that percent positive is a good indicator of you have sufficient testing capacity in place to detect the extent of your spread.  If you have high positivity you are likely missing a lot of cases. 

So increased or stable testing and increased positivity = heading in bad direction.  Increased testing stable positivity, keep testing more.  And so on. 

In isolation it’s probably hard to draw A lot of major conclusions other than WI probably has a lot more spread than is being reported.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: September 24, 2020, 12:06:27 PM »
Any private business would have given any sucker government the time of day for that sweetheart deal.  Proximity to Chicago has exactly zero to do with that.  But that is the Chicago arrogance that rubs the cheeseheads the wrong way.  Wisconsin gave away more money than anyone else (smartly) was willing to... and that's why Foxconn chose Wisconsin.

Furthermore, I wouldn't cast stones about dysfunctional government while standing in IL.

Sure, sure. Foxconn would just have easily chosen Marshfield or Manitowish as Mount Pleasant. The latter's location less than an hour from the economic hub of the Midwest and transportation hub of the continent is mere coincidence.
And there's nothing smart about the Foxconn deal. It's a boondoggle. Ya been lied to. Bamboozled. Hoodwinked.

As for Illinois government, we know better than anyone that it's dysfunctional. We live it every single day. We don't need cheeseheads to hop aboard their high Holsteins to remind us. And yet, somehow, they always feel the need to here on Scoop.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #1811 on: September 24, 2020, 12:30:55 PM »
This is 100% false.
Cheeseheads are cute. You love to bash Illinois, but you need us a lot more than we need you. And what makes you all so mad is you know it.

Sorry but its true.  I am in the youth sports business.  The numbers don't lie with the number of Illinois teams that have crossed the border to play in soccer, baseball and lacrosse events.  The phone calls don't lie when I have a multitude of volleyball/soccer clubs in Northern Illinois begging us to open up a facility in Libertyville/Gurnee so they can have a place to train and then travel to other states to play in tournaments.  Libertyville is scared to re-open their indoor facility due to covid-19 liability issues but they have no problems scheduling meetings and trying to see if organizations will sign leased contracts for this winter as long as they are not held liable.  You might not like the truth but that is the truth.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: September 24, 2020, 12:34:03 PM »
Sorry but its true.  I am in the youth sports business.

In the last two weeks, I have attended my kid's flag football, baseball and basketball games. In Illinois.
Maybe it was a dream.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #1813 on: September 24, 2020, 12:46:21 PM »

Thats not a dumb question but here is a dumb question.  Who is supposed to go get tested and when?  If you want the positivity number to be lower, you first want lower cases, otherwise you want more tests and a bigger denominator.  I have not been tested so it wouldn't cross my mind to get tested unless I had close contact with someone who tested positive or I felt ill.  Are we supposed to go get tested regularly even without symptoms? Should everyone be getting tested weekly?  If I get tested weekly, does each test get counted or just 1 test gets counted.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1814 on: September 24, 2020, 12:48:19 PM »
This is a great description of the challenges introduced by an inept/non-existant Federal response to this pandemic. Wisconsin is making the region worse, and there is little that surrounding states can do to curtail the issue.

Many businesses are taking the state quarantine list seriously and making people stay home after travel. There's not much more the Governor or Mayors can do besides warning people about the challenges Wisconsin is currently facing.

Skat - My corporation takes seriously.  My corporate travel is basically shut down because they are insisting employees follow state protocols on COVID-19.

The day after Labor Day, our corporate Lean Manufacturing Director from the Columbus, OH facility flew out to visit the two Connecticut factories.  When he left on the early flight, Ohio was off the list.  When he showed up at our building the weekly update came out and Ohio was back on.  He flew home the next day at the insistence of corporate HR.   

We finished installing a new piece of equipment the end of July.  It's still sitting unused.  We need the equipment techs to do their 2-3 day startup and one tech comes from Indiana and the other Ohio.  Indiana is perpetually on the quarantine list and Ohio drifts on and off.  We have no idea when they'll be able to come.

We're installing one more very major piece of equipment.  Building restructuring is going on to accommodate the new equipment and will be completed sometime this year.  It has a similar fate as the other new equipment except even more tricky.  We needs technicians to come for 2-3 weeks from Sweden where the equipment came from.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: September 24, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »
In the last two weeks, I have attended my kid's flag football, baseball and basketball games. In Illinois.
Maybe it was a dream.

The IYSA only allows intra club scrimmages and trainings.  They are not allowing any events, actual games or tournaments.  Illinois team participation at our clubs event went from an average of 40 teams a year to now pushing over 170 teams this year and if it wasn't for the shooting that took place in Kenosha and subsequent rioting, The Chicago Cup would have taken place in Franksville, WI.  I guess I must be dreaming as well.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: September 24, 2020, 01:07:56 PM »
The IYSA only allows intra club scrimmages and trainings.  They are not allowing any events, actual games or tournaments.  Illinois team participation at our clubs event went from an average of 40 teams a year to now pushing over 170 teams this year and if it wasn't for the shooting that took place in Kenosha and subsequent rioting, The Chicago Cup would have taken place in Franksville, WI.  I guess I must be dreaming as well.

So a youth soccer association isn't allowing tournaments and you extrapolated that to "Youth sports are banned!"
You're not dreaming. Just wrong.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1817 on: September 24, 2020, 01:09:45 PM »

Do you have "Roman" on your Illinois license playe?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: September 24, 2020, 01:15:08 PM »
Sure, sure. Foxconn would just have easily chosen Marshfield or Manitowish as Mount Pleasant. The latter's location less than an hour from the economic hub of the Midwest and transportation hub of the continent is mere coincidence.
And there's nothing smart about the Foxconn deal. It's a boondoggle. Ya been lied to. Bamboozled. Hoodwinked.

As for Illinois government, we know better than anyone that it's dysfunctional. We live it every single day. We don't need cheeseheads to hop aboard their high Holsteins to remind us. And yet, somehow, they always feel the need to here on Scoop.

I think I was unclear.  I knew it was a terrible idea from the jump.  I added the parentheses poorly.  I meant it was smart of everyone else to reject Foxxcon.  They had been known to yank the rug out from everyone... and surprise surprise, it happened again!

Scotty boy and Foxconn picked SEW because it is a battleground area and he thought he was buying jobs (votes) with the deal.  Guess he was wrong... yet again.

Wisconsinites feel the need to rebuke the trash thrown at them by a neighbor that constantly looks down it nose at them.  Undeservingly.  If you guys weren't such twats about everything, there'd be no reason for Wisconsinites to feel slighted.  But here we are, in a thread about Wisconsin, and you're the one that has brought Chicago up.  As if Wisconsinites should kiss the ring.  I thought we'd left the self aggrandizing behavior to Cheeks?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: September 24, 2020, 01:17:33 PM »
Thats not a dumb question but here is a dumb question.  Who is supposed to go get tested and when?  If you want the positivity number to be lower, you first want lower cases, otherwise you want more tests and a bigger denominator.  I have not been tested so it wouldn't cross my mind to get tested unless I had close contact with someone who tested positive or I felt ill.  Are we supposed to go get tested regularly even without symptoms? Should everyone be getting tested weekly?  If I get tested weekly, does each test get counted or just 1 test gets counted.

Everyone should be tested as frequently as possible if we want to get this under control.  What we are doing now is pure stupidity... but that has been the case since March.  Problem is that we haven't scaled our testing because we aren't approaching this like it is a pandemic.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1820 on: September 24, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
Everyone should be tested as frequently as possible if we want to get this under control.  What we are doing now is pure stupidity... but that has been the case since March.  Problem is that we haven't scaled our testing because we aren't approaching this like it is a pandemic.

We are out-Swedening Sweden until we have a vaccine.  That is our approach in a nutshell.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1821 on: September 24, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »
Wisconsinites feel the need to rebuke the trash thrown at them by a neighbor that constantly looks down it nose at them.  Undeservingly.  If you guys weren't such twats about everything, there'd be no reason for Wisconsinites to feel slighted.  But here we are, in a thread about Wisconsin, and you're the one that has brought Chicago up.  As if Wisconsinites should kiss the ring.  I thought we'd left the self aggrandizing behavior to Cheeks?

That's an unwarranted cheap shot. This is typical of the Illinois-Wisconsin dymanic. We give you a cute nickname like "Cheeseheads" and you call us "F--king Bastards." And then say we're the twats? Wisconsin has a collective anger problem to go with its weight problem, it seems.
And, with all due respect, you're the one who led the charge to bash Illinois in this thread, i.e. "Build that wall." I'm merely responding to the nonsense.
Regardless, we love Wisconsin. You're our feisty little neighbor to the north with the better fishing and good spots to launch our boats (and fireworks!). Truth be told, most of us north of I-80 like you guys way more than our downstate residents.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:29:29 PM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: September 24, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »
Do you have "Roman" on your Illinois license playe?

Speaking of Wisconsinites with anger problems ...
(Nice bad movie reference, though)

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1823 on: September 24, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »
A former co-worker has been tested four times, she goes for a test before she drives to Michigan to visit her mother.  U of I is testing students twice a week, using the saliva test they developed. 

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: September 24, 2020, 02:02:54 PM »
Oh, and I think enrolling your kid in sports in other state during a pandemic is nuts.