collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318352 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #1225 on: May 22, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »
Exaggerate...or change the subject....

The fact is the economy sucks because of the virus. Not because of the governors.

Nor the president, aina?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: May 23, 2020, 12:44:17 AM »
Nor the president, aina?

Well, the president certainly didn't help in preventing the rapid spread of the virus around this country.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1227 on: May 23, 2020, 02:14:53 AM »
Nor the president, aina?

We can enter into a different never ending debate about exactly how much power a president has over the economy and some people will see both sides and never agree.     Wherever you happen to come down on that debate, I think it can be agreed upon that the president has more power over the economy than any of the 50 governors.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1228 on: May 23, 2020, 06:40:54 AM »
Nor the president, aina?

I have never blamed the President for the current state of the economy.  He can be blamed for the many ways he has screwed this up, and continues to do so, but the economy is a brproduct of the pandemic.

I went to go pick up food last night at a place that would usually be packed on a Friday.  It was open for dining, staff wearing masks, tables six feet apart.  And there were two or three tables full.  No matter how much you open things back up, a large part of the society is going to say "we're good" and stay home.

I'm headed to the food store in an hour or so.  After that I probably won't be going anywhere the rest of the weekend.  My gym membership is on hold until September.  There are countless ways we have cut back because we don't have much desire to hang out with a bunch of other people.  I doubt we are alone.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: May 23, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »
Stop looking at total cases and look at the percentage.  WI had almost 10,000 tests come back today that is a good thing we are testing a lot more people but the percent positive has not gone up

Sort of a bad metric.  You can test people who have no symptoms and haven't come into contact with the infected, and it will drive the % positive down.  Or you can test only the people showing symptoms and the number goes up. 

Now, if we tested every person every day, it would be an amazing metric.  But we're not there yet, so its a meaningless number that can be manipulated at will.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: May 23, 2020, 11:04:51 AM »

I have never blamed the President for the current state of the economy.  He can be blamed for the many ways he has screwed this up, and continues to do so, but the economy is a brproduct of the pandemic.

I went to go pick up food last night at a place that would usually be packed on a Friday.  It was open for dining, staff wearing masks, tables six feet apart.  And there were two or three tables full.  No matter how much you open things back up, a large part of the society is going to say "we're good" and stay home.

I'm headed to the food store in an hour or so.  After that I probably won't be going anywhere the rest of the weekend.  My gym membership is on hold until September.  There are countless ways we have cut back because we don't have much desire to hang out with a bunch of other people.  I doubt we are alone.

I partially agree but when you see unemployment in Germany and South Korea only increased 1% you realize it was handled badly here comparatively.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1231 on: May 23, 2020, 11:12:39 AM »
511 new cases, a new #2 biggest day.  .. 4 of the last 7 days have been in the top 5 ..

Sure seems like a high probability that "opening up" 10 days ago set the exact wheels in motion that math would expect.

Too early to tell, these are test results coming back on people who wouldn't have been infected "post-open up". This up tick could represent the start of the sleigh ride to hell or it could be representative of higher volume of testing, testing of early symptom and/or asymptomatic (MKE, Madison, etc have started no questions asked testing over the last 2 weeks so we aren't just testing the sickest now).

Numbers won't tell the tale until mid-next week and we won't really have a clear picture until the weekend.

The problem is we have such a low level of data literacy within this country we can't have a science based discussion.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1232 on: May 23, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »
I don’t know what the source was so I have no idea how close to accurate it is, but Matt Norlander said he read an article that stated the US is at about 100K deaths due to covid right now and if we had started social distancing and safer in place just one week earlier we would be around 20K deaths instead. If that’s even remotely close to true, opening up too early/without a real plan could be devastating.

I read that study, its fundamentally flawed because it doesn't account for actions taken post shut down. Things like Pennsylvania and New York shoving infected Covid patients back into long term care facilities where the most vulnerable were.

Also the majority of the deaths were in the densest populations, where spread was going to happen

Bottom line, shutting down a week earlier would have saved lives but there is no way its 5x.....I'd say we might have cut it in half, still worthy but it's almost worthless because as a country we just weren't there til Rudy Goebert happened
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: May 23, 2020, 11:46:56 AM »
Looking at the numbers it is hard not to notice how well Wisconsin is doing compared to its neighbors. I wonder if a lot of the big push from the GOP to attack the governor, and force an opening is due to the fact that the plan is working. And lives are being saved, and they will be able to show the numbers compared to neighboring states to prove it.

If they force a reopen, and numbers ramp up to comparable levels of the neighbors, the GOP can, and will say...look, we shut down and ended up just as bad as our neighbors.

Really disgusting effort from the WH down in setting up protests, and lawsuits galore to force a Wisconsin opening.

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: May 23, 2020, 12:21:24 PM »
I partially agree but when you see unemployment in Germany and South Korea only increased 1% you realize it was handled badly here comparatively.

Right but that was a bi partisan thing.  That’s just the way we do unemployment here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1235 on: May 23, 2020, 12:23:35 PM »
Looking at the numbers it is hard not to notice how well Wisconsin is doing compared to its neighbors. I wonder if a lot of the big push from the GOP to attack the governor, and force an opening is due to the fact that the plan is working. And lives are being saved, and they will be able to show the numbers compared to neighboring states to prove it.

If they force a reopen, and numbers ramp up to comparable levels of the neighbors, the GOP can, and will say...look, we shut down and ended up just as bad as our neighbors.

Really disgusting effort from the WH down in setting up protests, and lawsuits galore to force a Wisconsin opening.

My worry is in smaller and rural communities here in Wisconsin. I see lots and lots of people wearing masks. I see businesses observing social distancing. I don't know if that will be the case in communities up north as people start to venture out and travel. Those are also all republican strongholds who get their info from 2 sources - Trump and Fox News. Too many of them still think this is just a made-up thing to get Trump. Heck, we've still got a people on Scoop who think this way.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: May 23, 2020, 02:45:14 PM »
Just got off my COVID week, so here are some of my thoughts

1. I've stopped following testing data and am watching the hospitalizations more.  The total tests is getting a lot of the milder cases, which is great, but not reflecting stress on the health systems.  Hospitalizations are up over 400 this week, which was the most since April 14.  That being said, ICU isn't near where it was at its peak.  That kind of follows what we've been seeing.  Cases aren't as "severe," for some reason.  I haven't seen a patient that was intubated or post intubation in about 3 weeks.  People are still passing away; most of them have DNRs already for severe co-morbidities. 

2. Remdesivir has been effective for us, although I guess there is a new study that shows it isn't effective.

3. The best thing we can do is just assume everyone has it now until July 4th.  Social distance yourself, wear a mask indoors and outdoors when you can't distance.  Whatever business can open, hopefully following these protocols and then re-assess on July 4th.

I can't quote 4ever, but most studies I've read say COVID travels on smaller droplets, not on coughs or sneezes.  Talking and breathing is bad.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: May 23, 2020, 02:50:33 PM »
So we just stop breathing and we’ll be okay?  ;D

Any idea why the hospital cases are having better outcomes or at least less ICU cases?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: May 23, 2020, 03:38:55 PM »

That being said, ICU isn't near where it was at its peak.  That kind of follows what we've been seeing.  Cases aren't as "severe," for some reason.  I haven't seen a patient that was intubated or post intubation in about 3 weeks. 

Thanks for the great info. One thing regarding this, there are two reasons this could be the case.

1. People are using masks and social distancing, neither are 100% effective. It is possible that those measures are reducing viral dose at exposure, leading to less case severity.

2. Summer is rolling in. We do have physiological changes with the seasons, this includes in how our immune system responds to various illnesses. In some cases that makes us more susceptible to illness, in other cases less. We may be seeing the latter playing a role here. Obviously, we have no data on this virus as it is brand new, so completely an educated guess.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1239 on: May 23, 2020, 03:46:32 PM »

1. I've stopped following testing data and am watching the hospitalizations more.  The total tests is getting a lot of the milder cases, which is great, but not reflecting stress on the health systems.  Hospitalizations are up over 400 this week, which was the most since April 14.  That being said, ICU isn't near where it was at its peak.  That kind of follows what we've been seeing.  Cases aren't as "severe," for some reason.  I haven't seen a patient that was intubated or post intubation in about 3 weeks.  People are still passing away; most of them have DNRs already for severe co-morbidities. 

2. Remdesivir has been effective for us, although I guess there is a new study that shows it isn't effective.

3. The best thing we can do is just assume everyone has it now until July 4th.  Social distance yourself, wear a mask indoors and outdoors when you can't distance.  Whatever business can open, hopefully following these protocols and then re-assess on July 4th.

I can't quote 4ever, but most studies I've read say COVID travels on smaller droplets, not on coughs or sneezes.  Talking and breathing is bad.

Thanks for the info, DPT.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1240 on: May 23, 2020, 03:52:15 PM »
Thanks for the great info. One thing regarding this, there are two reasons this could be the case.

1. People are using masks and social distancing, neither are 100% effective. It is possible that those measures are reducing viral dose at exposure, leading to less case severity.

2. Summer is rolling in. We do have physiological changes with the seasons, this includes in how our immune system responds to various illnesses. In some cases that makes us more susceptible to illness, in other cases less. We may be seeing the latter playing a role here. Obviously, we have no data on this virus as it is brand new, so completely an educated guess.

Several other reasons(its probably a combination of a lot of factors really)
3. Our interventions have gotten smarter/more targeted. Early intebation turned out to be a real killer, a lot more patients are prone for part of their treatment, anti viral meds, etc
4. The most at risk are a lot more sheltered now, so those who are hospitalized are theoretically baseline healthier than those in the "early days"
5. The virus is evolving and most viruses become less deadly with each evolution

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1241 on: May 23, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »

My worry is in smaller and rural communities here in Wisconsin. I see lots and lots of people wearing masks. I see businesses observing social distancing. I don't know if that will be the case in communities up north as people start to venture out and travel. Those are also all republican strongholds who get their info from 2 sources - Trump and Fox News. Too many of them still think this is just a made-up thing to get Trump. Heck, we've still got a people on Scoop who think this way.

what a moronic statement, but considering the source, it's probably the best he can do...wow!

this is exhibit "A" of why many of us have to try to keep our distancing from this site.  this is also how "you guys" narrow the discussion down to, well, "you guys" 

don't...don't don't don't don't

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1242 on: May 23, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »
   what a moronic statement, but considering the source, it's probably the best he can do...wow!

this is exhibit "A" of why many of us have to try to keep our distancing from this site.  this is also how "you guys" narrow the discussion down to, well, "you guys" 

Amen.  I pretty much check in once a day to read what is the latest insane take by the 5-6 posters who seem to be losing their minds.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: May 23, 2020, 05:48:03 PM »

Would mind answering the questions I asked of you a while ago?

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: May 23, 2020, 05:49:23 PM »

Wow. Too bad we are missing out on your OANish opinions and keen insights written in barely legible English.

Whatever. Will. We. Do. 

We get it. You’re doing what you can to justify how you’ll pull the lever in November. No one is really surprised at the lack of responsibility and standards.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: May 23, 2020, 05:53:41 PM »

When you have the head of the GOP in one of the largest districts in Texas say the coronavirus is a hoax, the son of POTUS saying the same thing, and public polls of conservatives echoing this messaging, what is truly moronic?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: May 23, 2020, 06:30:10 PM »
When you have the head of the GOP in one of the largest districts in Texas say the coronavirus is a hoax, the son of POTUS saying the same thing, and public polls of conservatives echoing this messaging, what is truly moronic?

More than 40% of Republicans think Bill Gates will use a COVID-19 vaccine to implant a location-tracking microchip in recipients, according to survey

https://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-bill-gates-covid-19-vaccine-tracking-microchip-study-2020-5

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1247 on: May 23, 2020, 06:36:26 PM »
More than 40% of Republicans think Bill Gates will use a COVID-19 vaccine to implant a location-tracking microchip in recipients, according to survey

https://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-bill-gates-covid-19-vaccine-tracking-microchip-study-2020-5

32% of democrats support having an abortion up til the day before a baby is delivered.  What’s your point.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1248 on: May 23, 2020, 06:43:24 PM »

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: May 23, 2020, 07:06:32 PM »
32% of democrats support having an abortion up til the day before a baby is delivered.  What’s your point.

Cite?

And mine is topical. It is specifically about the COVID pandemic.
Great use of #whataboutism!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:08:08 PM by pbiflyer »