collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318418 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #1200 on: May 21, 2020, 09:45:33 PM »
Cary Grant in "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" sumd it all up"

Jim Blandings: Mr. William Cole, please. Hello, Bill. They can't get away with this! I know my rights as a citizen. Why, this notice from the owner of this building. He wants our apartment. He's ordering us to move in thirty days. Well, that's ridiculous! How can I move into a house that isn't even finished? There are no windows, no plaster, no paint. Now you listen to me: I have no intention of moving in thirty days. This is not legal! I'm going to fight this thing and I don't care if it takes every penny I've got! Yeah. Yeah. Yeah!

Muriel Blandings: Well?

Jim Blandings: We're moving in thirty days.

Not bad... except for the part where Jim Blandings listens to his lawyer.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1201 on: May 21, 2020, 10:01:27 PM »
Once you tell them the fee and ask for the retainer its usually

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1202 on: May 21, 2020, 10:51:40 PM »
Poll after poll after poll show that Americans surveyed are not ready to throw the country back open, and they support their governors who haven’t done so. Most of the polls haven’t been close.

The latest, from Michigan, shows overwhelming support for Whitmer’s handling of the pandemic. They say the protests do not have wide support at all. The only group that thinks differently is Republican men. Dems, Independents and GOP women are on board.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/05/20/republican-men-views-coronavirus/5227671002/

So why are those same governors opening their states back up if everyone is against it?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: May 22, 2020, 06:44:08 AM »
So why are those same governors opening their states back up if everyone is against it?

First, I didn't say "everyone is against it." Have some intellectual honesty if you want to discuss this. I said that polls have consistently shown a majority of Americans do not want their states thrown back open. We're talking 60% to 75%. That's not "everyone," but it is statistically significant.

As far as why the governors are doing it, I haven't seen any of them quoted as, "I know our residents are against this, according to the polling, but I'm opening the state and here's why" ... so all I can do is make guesses based on what I've read about various situations.

Some don't care about the polls and are forcing their view of what's right down their constituents' throats: "You don't know what's good for you, but I do."

Some are feeling intense pressure from the bad economy ravaging their states and feel they have no other choice despite what a majority of their constituents might want.

Some are being pressured by the major corporate chiefs in their states, or maybe by members of their congressional delegation (or both).

Some know they simply have to open up their economies and they are trying to do so slowly and by following the recommendations of experts in the field.

Some are Trump sycophants and are doing what he wants them to do.

And none of the above is mutually exclusive. Perhaps several governors are going through 2 or 3 of the above.

Leaders have to do what they think is best, regardless of what polls say. That's one of the things that make it a tough job.

I quoted the polls because there are many folks who think it's a no-brainer to re-open the states. Some actually believe that the extremely small number of protesters represent the thoughts of the majority of people in those states. Obviously, they don't, given the polling.

Even if one doesn't consider polls to be the be-all and end-all (and I don't), 60% to 75% ... those are pretty big numbers, and they have been consistent.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: May 22, 2020, 06:45:02 AM »
Slowly.  With a plan based on data and science.   With adjustments when necessary.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1205 on: May 22, 2020, 07:34:09 AM »
Went to get my haircut yesterday.  Impressed with the masking (all employees and customers) and the disinfection procedures.  Was within six feet of a lot of people though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: May 22, 2020, 08:41:26 AM »
Slowly.  With a plan based on data and science.   With adjustments when necessary.

To me, that is what the governors who really care about their citizens are doing.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1207 on: May 22, 2020, 12:46:18 PM »
Hey, Dane Co is opening up in phase 1 of their plan on tuesday.

Magically, that is the same date of Evers' unconstitutional stay at home order said things could open.  Because, science. 

(Wonder how the health dept can forecast what their 9 scores criteria look like on tuesday.)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: May 22, 2020, 01:13:00 PM »
Hey, Dane Co is opening up in phase 1 of their plan on tuesday.

Magically, that is the same date of Evers' unconstitutional stay at home order said things could open.  Because, science. 

(Wonder how the health dept can forecast what their 9 scores criteria look like on tuesday.)

Wait until they try to enforce 4. d. ii. 

It'll get challenged and thrown out.  Can't force businesses to mask employees, and not force public to mask as well.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: May 22, 2020, 01:43:26 PM »
Went to get my haircut yesterday.  Impressed with the masking (all employees and customers) and the disinfection procedures.  Was within six feet of a lot of people though.

What is so magical about 6 ft.? Factually, that number means absolutely nothing. Whether you are 3, 6, 12, 24 ft. etc, is irrelevant when someone's sneeze travels 50+ft.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1210 on: May 22, 2020, 08:34:25 PM »
511 new cases, a new #2 biggest day.  .. 4 of the last 7 days have been in the top 5 ..

Sure seems like a high probability that "opening up" 10 days ago set the exact wheels in motion that math would expect. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: May 22, 2020, 08:38:52 PM »
Time to put your toes in the water. No guarantees in life and you can't shut down for 9 months, in spite of the gov's wishes, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: May 22, 2020, 08:40:24 PM »
I don’t know what the source was so I have no idea how close to accurate it is, but Matt Norlander said he read an article that stated the US is at about 100K deaths due to covid right now and if we had started social distancing and safer in place just one week earlier we would be around 20K deaths instead. If that’s even remotely close to true, opening up too early/without a real plan could be devastating.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: May 22, 2020, 08:40:31 PM »
 ::)
511 new cases, a new #2 biggest day.  .. 4 of the last 7 days have been in the top 5 ..

Sure seems like a high probability that "opening up" 10 days ago set the exact wheels in motion that math would expect.

Or the much higher testing rate

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: May 22, 2020, 08:41:31 PM »
Time to put your toes in the water. No guarantees in life and you can't shut down for 9 months, in spite of the gov's wishes, hey?

These may not be the only two options.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: May 22, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »
I'm waitin' on negative interest rates. Oh, the inflation, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: May 22, 2020, 08:46:35 PM »

Nope.  Governor didn't wish that.  But I guess if you have to exaggerate....
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: May 22, 2020, 08:47:46 PM »
Are you black?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: May 22, 2020, 08:55:50 PM »
Are you black?

Exaggerate...or change the subject....

The fact is the economy sucks because of the virus. Not because of the governors.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: May 22, 2020, 08:56:46 PM »
That's what the bots say.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: May 22, 2020, 09:02:55 PM »
I'm waitin' on negative interest rates. Oh, the inflation, hey?

Buy Bitcoin

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #1221 on: May 22, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »

Stop looking at total cases and look at the percentage.  WI had almost 10,000 tests come back today that is a good thing we are testing a lot more people but the percent positive has not gone up

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: May 22, 2020, 09:42:26 PM »
Stop looking at total cases and look at the percentage.  WI had almost 10,000 tests come back today that is a good thing we are testing a lot more people but the percent positive has not gone up

It went up today. And, if I'm not mistaken, it's not the first time this week.
Just a little, but given what we're seeing elsewhere, anything upward is bad. Could be just an anomaly, of course.  We'll see.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: May 22, 2020, 10:02:12 PM »

All that means is that there were undetected cases before. You seem to be following the advice of less tests would mean less cases. Not at all accurate.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: May 22, 2020, 10:06:29 PM »

feedback