collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318268 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #775 on: April 29, 2020, 01:20:43 PM »
Man, eye'm lookin' like da shaggy dawg, hey?

I want to call the girl that cuts my hairtm and ask her if she can meet me at Pet Smart, use their dog grooming tables to get this mop of grey off my head. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #776 on: April 29, 2020, 03:47:49 PM »
I wrote this earlier about WI's election .. if it turns out "only" 40 .. or hell, triple it to 120 people got infected on Election Day .. that's 40 of 413,000 in-person voters.  That's .009% .. and WI is averaging 160 per day. 

Once we "open" back up .. we're going to have these kinds of spikes constantly.

Honestly, the election showed a path of holding an event extraordinarily safely. 

Yeah, any number north of zero sucks.  Welcome to the new world.  Gonna be like this for two more years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #777 on: April 29, 2020, 04:14:49 PM »
I wrote this earlier about WI's election .. if it turns out "only" 40 .. or hell, triple it to 120 people got infected on Election Day .. that's 40 of 413,000 in-person voters.  That's .009% .. and WI is averaging 160 per day. 

Honestly, the election showed a path of holding an event extraordinarily safely. 

Yeah, any number north of zero sucks.  Welcome to the new world.  Gonna be like this for two more years.

That's a very reasonable view, 'topper. It still was absolutely unnecessary to subject Wisconsinites to that, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #778 on: April 29, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »
I would guess more than 40 voters got Covid 19 while voting.

But even if it's at 40.  How many people were infected by those 40 people?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #779 on: April 29, 2020, 05:28:09 PM »
I would guess more than 40 voters got Covid 19 while voting.

But even if it's at 40.  How many people were infected by those 40 people?

Therein lies the problem.  We don't know.  No testing, no contact tracing, and we aren't counting asymptomatic people who got it and have spread it to people who didn't go to the polls.

Some folks here think that 40 is no big deal.  Sure, 40 is acceptable, especially if no one dies!  But we don't live in a vacuum.  This is exactly how this virus will spread over the coming weeks. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #780 on: April 29, 2020, 05:46:25 PM »

+1. New reality. Painful but reasonable - better (IMO) than panic.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #781 on: April 29, 2020, 06:13:14 PM »
+1. New reality. Painful but reasonable - better (IMO) than panic.

Not really a new reality. life will go back to normal, relatively shortly. The Spanish flu was waaaaaaaaaay worse and life went back to normal.
Were not talking about 9/11 style changes (as some on here have said)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #782 on: April 29, 2020, 06:19:05 PM »
Not really a new reality. life will go back to normal, relatively shortly. The Spanish flu was waaaaaaaaaay worse and life went back to normal.

We'll have to wait and see.

There's a LOT that could change in this country as a result of this pandemic. Healthcare, economy, politics, etc.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #783 on: April 29, 2020, 06:22:13 PM »

I will say comparing this to the Spanish Flu at this point is like declaring a basketball champ in the first half of game one.  And god I hope we do better than the Spanish flu.  We have better technology, medical system and more resources to battle this than the early 1900s

Frankly my biggest disappointment is we are only throwing social distancing at it to date.  But then again it’s only been 4 months in total.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 07:06:55 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #784 on: April 29, 2020, 06:28:10 PM »

I think that life will return to 90% of normal.   As soon as there is widespread antibodies testing as well as an effective treatment, I think society will collectively roll the dice and start striving for a return to a semblance of normalcy.

But if we as a society fail to learn lessons from this and strive to improve our institutions, then we as a society will deserve the next, worse, pandemic.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #785 on: April 29, 2020, 06:44:41 PM »
I think that life will return to 90% of normal.   As soon as there is widespread antibodies testing as well as an effective treatment, I think society will collectively roll the dice and start striving for a return to a semblance of normalcy.

But if we as a society fail to learn lessons from this and strive to improve our institutions, then we as a society will deserve the next, worse, pandemic.

What institutions are you referring to?  WHO, FDA?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #786 on: April 29, 2020, 06:48:33 PM »
What institutions are you referring to?  WHO, FDA?

You really need to ask?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #787 on: April 29, 2020, 06:50:08 PM »
All.   Health care.   Education.   WHO.  CDC.  Congress.   The military.  Voters.  Anybody who doesn't learn from this is a fool.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #788 on: April 29, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »

This should age well.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #789 on: April 29, 2020, 08:05:06 PM »
You really need to ask?

Blaming this on a single entity cough cough party is asinine.

Just in wisconsin Evers was slow to act.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #790 on: April 29, 2020, 08:10:48 PM »
Blaming this on a single entity cough cough party is asinine.

Just in wisconsin Evers was slow to act.

The legislature thinks he was too fast to act.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #791 on: April 29, 2020, 08:28:04 PM »

Ah yes, those 9/11 changes of taking off our shoes at the airport unless you pay $100 for TSA Pre Check.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #792 on: April 29, 2020, 09:15:10 PM »

Not to minimize the effects of 9/11, or to disrespect those who died and suffered as a result, but I suspect most NYers would say this is making 9/11 look like a walk in the park.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #793 on: April 29, 2020, 09:17:56 PM »
This should age well.

Better or worse then your prediction the national guard would be out patrolling the streets handing out large fines for those not abiding by the stay at home orders?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #794 on: April 29, 2020, 09:21:29 PM »
Better or worse then your prediction the national guard would be out patrolling the streets handing out large fines for those not abiding by the stay at home orders?

;D ;D

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #795 on: April 29, 2020, 09:24:07 PM »
All.   Health care.   Education.   WHO.  CDC.  Congress.   The military.  Voters.  Anybody who doesn't learn from this is a fool.

That’s fair I guess and there are certainly lessons to be learned I think when it comes to public transportation and overall hygiene but trying to better understand how this can be prevented moving forward from an institutional angle.  Check temperatures at airports, close borders, make a law requiring social distance, alternating days at school?

It’s easy to throw out platitudes but when you’re weighing civil liberties and basic constitutional rights I’m not sure what anyone can do.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #796 on: April 29, 2020, 09:24:07 PM »
Ah yes, those 9/11 changes of taking off our shoes at the airport unless you pay $100 for TSA Pre Check.

:o

Not sure if trolling or dumb.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #797 on: April 29, 2020, 09:28:52 PM »
Not to minimize the effects of 9/11, or to disrespect those who died and suffered as a result, but I suspect most NYers would say this is making 9/11 look like a walk in the park.

As someone who dates a NYC resident who had a brother in law that worked downtown at the time, works with many lifelong New Yorkers, and has multiple associates who lost loved ones in 9/11. Not a chance.

I’ve spent the last 7 weeks here. The general mood ranges from uneasy to surreal to fairly normal, albeit a bit strange. The mood post-9/11 is not even comparable. Sure COVID has claimed more lives, but it didn’t snatch nearly 3000 people in hours, people simply not coming home, and leaving a literally smoking crater in the heart of the city. NYC won’t have to collectively rebuild both physically and as city spirit after this. Losing loved ones or someone you know to sickness is hard, losing them to unexpected murder is far more severe. The vast majority of New Yorkers haven’t had the jarring visual or physical experience with COVID that they did on 9/11

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #798 on: April 29, 2020, 10:56:47 PM »

What would it mean to learn in this case?  Using the simplest of examples should we have masks for every man, woman and child up to what number of masks each?  Is it 5, is it 25, is it 100? 

Now the same exercise on medicine.  Should we have China or any other country making half of our medications? 

Now the same exercise on salaries.  If you want the best and brightest finding cures, developing drugs, you need to pay them a considerable wage which requires their products are charged a significant price to pay for those wages.

Should our travel policies be much more restrictive?  Should our foreign borders be closed?  So many examples.

We all have to ask ourselves what does it mean to learn from this? What does it mean to be safe? What freedoms are we giving up?  What risks are we willing to live with for an event that happens once every 250 years vs the enormous costs to try and insulate ourself against every possible outcome.   What are the tradeoffs in treasure, civil liberties, resources, health (mental and physical).  Interesting questions to debate in the next decade.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #799 on: April 29, 2020, 11:05:48 PM »
What would it mean to learn in this case?  Using the simplest of examples should we have masks for every man, woman and child up to what number of masks each?  Is it 5, is it 25, is it 100? 

Now the same exercise on medicine.  Should we have China or any other country making half of our medications? 

Now the same exercise on salaries.  If you want the best and brightest finding cures, developing drugs, you need to pay them a considerable wage which requires their products are charged a significant price to pay for those wages.

Should our travel policies be much more restrictive?  Should our foreign borders be closed?  So many examples.

We all have to ask ourselves what does it mean to learn from this? What does it mean to be safe? What freedoms are we giving up?  What risks are we willing to live with for an event that happens once every 250 years vs the enormous costs to try and insulate ourself against every possible outcome.   What are the tradeoffs in treasure, civil liberties, resources, health (mental and physical).  Interesting questions to debate in the next decade.

How about this...when other major countries start shutting down due to a health crisis that is jumping from one country to the next, listen to your health experts and start preparing for it to hit your country, rather than relying on a miracle (the words of the man you *did not* vote for).

Seems like a simple, good starting point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback