[Today at 07:43:22 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by tower912
[May 12, 2024, 08:23:11 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 12, 2024, 03:17:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318468 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #750 on: April 23, 2020, 12:01:30 PM »
Sorta makes you wonder what the point of permits are if they're not enforced.  I'm curious as to where all these folks think they're going to go to the bathroom.  ;D

Probably the same place you did during the occupation...anywhere.    8-)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #751 on: April 23, 2020, 12:17:15 PM »
Probably the same place you did during the occupation...anywhere.    8-)

Lots of open businesses on the square and state street were open back in the good ol' days.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #752 on: April 23, 2020, 01:18:52 PM »
Sorta makes you wonder what the point of permits are if they're not enforced.  I'm curious as to where all these folks think they're going to go to the bathroom.  ;D

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #753 on: April 23, 2020, 02:38:50 PM »
Brian Westrate, the treasurer of the Republican Party of Wisconsin, posted to a private Facebook group for organizers and some attendees of the Madison rally, asking people not to bring emblems of causes other than resisting the stay-at-home order.

“Ok folks, I implore you, please leave Confederate flags and/or AR15s, AK47s, or any other long guns at home,” Mr. Westrate wrote. “I well understand that the Confederacy was more about states rights than slavery. But that does not change the truth of how we should try to control the optics during the event.”

(Emphasis added)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #754 on: April 23, 2020, 04:18:16 PM »
Brian Westrate, the treasurer of the Republican Party of Wisconsin, posted to a private Facebook group for organizers and some attendees of the Madison rally, asking people not to bring emblems of causes other than resisting the stay-at-home order.

“Ok folks, I implore you, please leave Confederate flags and/or AR15s, AK47s, or any other long guns at home,” Mr. Westrate wrote. “I well understand that the Confederacy was more about states rights than slavery. But that does not change the truth of how we should try to control the optics during the event.”

(Emphasis added)

There was an attempt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #755 on: April 23, 2020, 04:30:40 PM »

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #756 on: April 23, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »
Brian Westrate
@BrianWestrate
·
3h
"I was attempting to acknowledge the arguments that would be used to disagree with my suggestion. Of course slavery was at the core of the confederacy and the civil war. To say otherwise would be absurd. I was just trying to help the folks stay on message.Apparently it was a #Fail"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:56:27 PM by Mutaman »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #757 on: April 23, 2020, 06:08:41 PM »
Brian Westrate
@BrianWestrate
·
3h
"I was attempting to acknowledge the arguments that would be used to disagree with my suggestion. Of course slavery was at the core of the confederacy and the civil war. To say otherwise would be absurd. I was just trying to help the folks stay on message.Apparently it was a #Fail"

"Shoot, I got caught, sorry!  Well anyway, here's Wonderwall!"

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #758 on: April 24, 2020, 06:53:02 PM »
So who went out and golfed today?  I went out with my 2 sons and had a great time.  It was great to be doing something for almost 5 hours without hearing about the virus or thinking about it.
The tee times at the course were booked solid but with the 20 minute gaps it was nice to not have a group on your tail.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #759 on: April 24, 2020, 07:14:20 PM »
I did on the other side of the lake.   Reminded me that I am a golf snob.    Too slow, too many 6 packs in golf bags with empties all over the place.    One of the reasons I have avoided leagues for the last 20 years.    The absence of golf carts was refreshing.    And I was amused watching guys have to carry their immense leather cart bag. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #760 on: April 24, 2020, 07:17:42 PM »
I did on the other side of the lake.   Reminded me that I am a golf snob.    Too slow, too many 6 packs in golf bags with empties all over the place.    One of the reasons I have avoided leagues for the last 20 years.    The absence of golf carts was refreshing.    And I was amused watching guys have to carry their immense leather cart bag.

completely different where i went.  I think most of the guys out today at this course were members and older with their push carts.  So they cleaned up after themselves

tower912

• All American
« Reply #761 on: April 24, 2020, 07:54:04 PM »
Saw a 7-some on a green, all holding beers while the others putted.    On a course with a closed clubhouse, no carts, first come-first serve.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #762 on: April 24, 2020, 08:10:13 PM »
Saw a 7-some on a green, all holding beers while the others putted.    On a course with a closed clubhouse, no carts, first come-first serve.

This is why I didn’t go out today or this weekend.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #763 on: April 28, 2020, 11:11:55 AM »
34 parks to re-open:

https://www.wuwm.com/post/evers-reopens-34-wisconsin-state-parks-closed-april-10

The past week, Evers has loosened many restrictions, which I think is good -- but he's completely whiffing on the political opportunity to get people on the same page and tamp down the left vs. right divisions.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #764 on: April 28, 2020, 11:17:24 AM »
34 parks to re-open:

https://www.wuwm.com/post/evers-reopens-34-wisconsin-state-parks-closed-april-10

The past week, Evers has loosened many restrictions, which I think is good -- but he's completely whiffing on the political opportunity to get people on the same page and tamp down the left vs. right divisions.

I mean...Vos and Fitzgerald sued him so....

And the polls agree with him.  We will see if they continue to do so in a week or two.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #765 on: April 28, 2020, 11:30:37 AM »
34 parks to re-open:

It was pretty asinine for them to be closed in the first place.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #766 on: April 28, 2020, 12:03:02 PM »
I don't disagree that .. they shouldn't have been closed, but I wouldn't call it "asinine" though .. it is an extreme measure where all non-zero risk activities are closed.

As for the politics .. look, we're dysfunctional and divided .. that will be the status quo until it's not, and that takes effort.   Evers needs to increase (at least) the perception that he's listening and flexible, and every "loosening" of the rules is an opportunity. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #767 on: April 28, 2020, 12:25:40 PM »

Have you been past a county park or city park that is open? Parking lots are cesspools.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #768 on: April 28, 2020, 01:07:19 PM »
Our hospital is the busiest it’s been since before the lockdown, this week.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #769 on: April 28, 2020, 03:54:38 PM »

They were overcrowded and people were trashing them.  They should have been closed.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #770 on: April 29, 2020, 12:19:15 PM »
https://www.wpr.org/52-who-worked-or-voted-wisconsin-election-have-covid-19

My advice to anyone who wants to open everything back up is to play it safe, and wait two weeks longer for that haircut or night out and see what kind of increase in numbers we have.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #771 on: April 29, 2020, 12:21:38 PM »
Man, eye'm lookin' like da shaggy dawg, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #772 on: April 29, 2020, 12:47:13 PM »
https://www.wpr.org/52-who-worked-or-voted-wisconsin-election-have-covid-19

My advice to anyone who wants to open everything back up is to play it safe, and wait two weeks longer for that haircut or night out and see what kind of increase in numbers we have.

I agree with your advice, depending on location.  Yet this morning's Milwaukee J/S had a different take (Behind a paywall, I think)  :

"Given the incubation period of the coronavirus, epidemiologists said a surge in new cases would have appeared statewide last week. Except for a slight increase that could have been explained by other reasons, no surge appeared.

"I don’t think that the in-person election led to a major effect, to my surprise. I expected it," Alagoz said, adding they don't expect to see a spike in the future.

Mustafa Hussein, an epidemiologist with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, agreed there did not appear to be evidence of a surge of cases in the raw numbers. But he noted researchers lack crucial data regarding COVID-19."

And later in the same article:

"One theory is that without the in-person election, the numbers of cases in Wisconsin would have dropped even lower.

"A lot of this is speculative and difficult to pinpoint and say, 'The election caused this,'” Hussein said. "All of these factors completely muddy the waters and make this very difficult. It feels like a wild goose chase to go after. It is a valid question, an important one, but very difficult to answer."

Officials at the Department of Health Services said they also did not see a spike.

"We didn’t observe any overall significant surge in infections associated with that," Westergaard said. "There is reason to think some people may have been exposed based on interviews done locally but not enough to create a trend or signal that we can detect on a statewide basis."

City of Milwaukee Health Director Jeanette Kowalik said seven people may have contracted the virus through voting. She later raised it to 40, but she said more research is needed, which should be done later this week.

The state said about two dozen people may have been infected on election day."

It's so very frustrating to not get clear data, or even some agreement on the data that should be available. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2020/04/29/coronavirus-wisconsin-no-bump-election-but-concerns-remain/3039357001/
Ludum habemus.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #773 on: April 29, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »
Which is great news.  First, because you shouldn't want people to be sick.  Second, because it shows the power of mitigation and what it might mean when we "open up."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #774 on: April 29, 2020, 01:16:46 PM »
I agree with your advice, depending on location.  Yet this morning's Milwaukee J/S had a different take (Behind a paywall, I think)  :

"Given the incubation period of the coronavirus, epidemiologists said a surge in new cases would have appeared statewide last week. Except for a slight increase that could have been explained by other reasons, no surge appeared.

"I don’t think that the in-person election led to a major effect, to my surprise. I expected it," Alagoz said, adding they don't expect to see a spike in the future.

Mustafa Hussein, an epidemiologist with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, agreed there did not appear to be evidence of a surge of cases in the raw numbers. But he noted researchers lack crucial data regarding COVID-19."

And later in the same article:

"One theory is that without the in-person election, the numbers of cases in Wisconsin would have dropped even lower.

"A lot of this is speculative and difficult to pinpoint and say, 'The election caused this,'” Hussein said. "All of these factors completely muddy the waters and make this very difficult. It feels like a wild goose chase to go after. It is a valid question, an important one, but very difficult to answer."

Officials at the Department of Health Services said they also did not see a spike.

"We didn’t observe any overall significant surge in infections associated with that," Westergaard said. "There is reason to think some people may have been exposed based on interviews done locally but not enough to create a trend or signal that we can detect on a statewide basis."

City of Milwaukee Health Director Jeanette Kowalik said seven people may have contracted the virus through voting. She later raised it to 40, but she said more research is needed, which should be done later this week.

The state said about two dozen people may have been infected on election day."

It's so very frustrating to not get clear data, or even some agreement on the data that should be available. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2020/04/29/coronavirus-wisconsin-no-bump-election-but-concerns-remain/3039357001/

And I don't disagree.  We can't prove or disprove where the people were infected.  Having said that, I disagree with the bolded claim.  Incubation time, plus onset of symptoms, plus time for a test to come back... and we are easily within that time frame.

It's going to be difficult to pin down exactly where people contracted the disease without adequate testing and contact tracing.