collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318305 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #575 on: April 17, 2020, 07:56:30 AM »

Honestly I would be fine if someone said "look, I know Trump handled this wrong, but I am still voting for him because of x, y and z."  At least that it is an intellectually honest position.

But to fall victim to simple political manipulation is so sad and pathetic.

And that's what kills me too.  But I guess it's easier to con a man than for him to admit that he's been conned.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #576 on: April 17, 2020, 08:09:15 AM »
That was the projection if nothing was done to flatten the curve. As predictable as the sunrise, when social distancing actually worked, people like you think that proves we didn't need to do it in the first place. You are quite the "healthcare professional".

Oh to be able to be soooo wrong about a model or projection is rich. If trump came out with numbers this far off, as an “expert” no less, we know what comes next.  Let’s see, originally the death rate was pegged at over 2.2 million, then 600,000, then 120,000 and now...maybe 60-80.000?

Classic ending with the personal attack though-you’re keeping Saul proud
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #577 on: April 17, 2020, 08:13:52 AM »
Oh to be able to be soooo wrong about a model or projection is rich. If trump came out with numbers this far off, as an “expert” no less, we know what comes next.  Let’s see, originally the death rate was pegged at over 2.2 million, then 600,000, then 120,000 and now...maybe 60-80.000?

Again, you are being (willfully?) ignorant about what exactly was being said earlier about what measures like safter at home would do.  You are falling for exactly what people said others would fall for.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #578 on: April 17, 2020, 08:44:57 AM »

As wades mentioned...testing.

Also, cases should be going down by that point.  (They are stil rising.)  Everyone has said from the beginning that you need to go two weeks past peak.  May 26 *should* be beyond that timeframe.  I think they probably could have gone a week or two earlier, but things may change and things could open up earlier.

My concern is if we finally get the testing capacity some time in the next month, the numbers with skyrocket due to the asymptomatic positives. And we'll be talking about another extension into late June, which would have it's own awful consequences.

• All American
« Reply #579 on: April 17, 2020, 08:51:57 AM »
My concern is if we finally get the testing capacity some time in the next month, the numbers with skyrocket due to the asymptomatic positives. And we'll be talking about another extension into late June, which would have it's own awful consequences.

I understand that.  But I also understand we can't just wait until everything is perfect.  I actually think May 26 is on the far edge of people's willingness to comply with this policy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #580 on: April 17, 2020, 09:13:15 AM »

Again, you are being (willfully?) ignorant about what exactly was being said earlier about what measures like safter at home would do.  You are falling for exactly what people said others would fall for.

au contraire Pierre, you are completely missing my point. Probably my fault for not being clear and I’ll give you that.  But, what I’m trying to say is as the dooms day numbers continue to fall, abandon the plan that was based on the dooms day numbers and start to level off our approach to keep our health care system doing what it is supposed to be doing. Shift the 110%focus on coronavirus to even 50/50 and reintroducing the healthcare that has been pushed to the side- everything else.  We can triage and designate specific areas of the hospitals to coronavirus, continue “flattening the curve” while attending to everything else in other areas

• All American
« Reply #581 on: April 17, 2020, 09:36:25 AM »
au contraire Pierre, you are completely missing my point. Probably my fault for not being clear and I’ll give you that.  But, what I’m trying to say is as the dooms day numbers continue to fall, abandon the plan that was based on the dooms day numbers and start to level off our approach to keep our health care system doing what it is supposed to be doing. Shift the 110%focus on coronavirus to even 50/50 and reintroducing the healthcare that has been pushed to the side- everything else.  We can triage and designate specific areas of the hospitals to coronavirus, continue “flattening the curve” while attending to everything else in other areas

My apologies.  I am not smart enough about hospitalization and health care to know what the right answer is, but I don't disagree with much that you said.

My father had a procedure done earlier this week and I know that my mom and him felt very good about how everything was handled considering the circumstances.  So things are happening.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #582 on: April 17, 2020, 10:18:34 AM »

Here is the difference.  If you have widespread testing and contact tracing you can just tell THOSE people to stay home. 

We have the capability to be smarter about this, use technology, etc.  So many resources at our disposal beyond "Open & Shut".

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #583 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:13 AM »

I think that if the numbers skyrocket due to increased testing capacity -- but there is no corresponding increase in hospitalizations -- we'll probably be fine.

But as many here have said many, many times, testing is absolutely vital.  None of this matters for crap if we don't have universally available tests.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #584 on: April 17, 2020, 10:33:13 AM »
I think that if the numbers skyrocket due to increased testing capacity -- but there is no corresponding increase in hospitalizations -- we'll probably be fine.

But as many here have said many, many times, testing is absolutely vital.  None of this matters for crap if we don't have universally available tests.

Exactly, its better to know, and have the numbers be high and accurate than to pretend like we don't have problems.  Confirmed positive cases shouldn't freak people out.  In fact, they should be reassuring to know that we have a bunch of the population that already has it without having to be hospitalized.  Brings down IFR and CFR. 

Information is power, and testing is information.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #585 on: April 17, 2020, 10:43:09 AM »
Trump himself uses the 2.2M figure you fool! It is the baseline estimate if nothing was done. How can you possibly not understand this?

"Trump cited projection models that said potentially 2.2 million people or more could have died had the country tried to “wing it” and not put social distancing measures in place. “I kept asking and we did models,” he said. “These are 2.2 million people would have died."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/trump-says-keeping-us-covid-19-deaths-to-100000-would-be-a-very-good-job

Classic ending with the personal attack though-you’re keeping Saul proud
Personal attack? When you keep referring to the doctors, mathematicians, and scientists who have worked on the models as "experts", I presume you are using the quotations marks as an acknowledgement of their deep subject matter expertise in this area. I thought you should be granted the exact same level of respect, "healthcare professional".
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:02:07 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #586 on: April 17, 2020, 12:00:36 PM »

Hospitals are already doing this...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #587 on: April 17, 2020, 12:25:15 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/lawsuit-claims-teen-threatened-with-arrest-over-coronavirus-posts

Wisconsin, threatening to arrest a kid for disorderly conduct for posting about her recovering from COVID. The reason, creating undue alarm, since she had a clinical diagnosis instead of a positive test result

By the time she was able to get a COVID test, apparently she was out of the window where it would have tested positive.

Yay us, silencing the population.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #588 on: April 17, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/lawsuit-claims-teen-threatened-with-arrest-over-coronavirus-posts

Wisconsin, threatening to arrest a kid for disorderly conduct for posting about her recovering from COVID. The reason, creating undue alarm, since she had a clinical diagnosis instead of a positive test result

By the time she was able to get a COVID test, apparently she was out of the window where it would have tested positive.

Yay us, silencing the population.

Getting your news from Fox now, aina?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #589 on: April 17, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
Was the girl being dramatic and over the top? Probably. Was the sherrif out of line, 100%. Take his badge. Power hungry.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #590 on: April 17, 2020, 01:50:40 PM »
Getting your news from Fox now, aina?

I always read all the news sources. At least, to me, it is important to get a wide view of how people are thinking.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #591 on: April 18, 2020, 11:30:39 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #592 on: April 18, 2020, 11:33:46 AM »
Idiots

https://twitter.com/JimOwczarski/status/1251540121859641344?s=19

A live look at all the boomers thinning their herd!  At least a lot of conservatives will be going out of their way to suppress their own votes by November!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #593 on: April 18, 2020, 11:34:27 AM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #594 on: April 18, 2020, 11:48:50 AM »
A live look at all the boomers thinning their herd!  At least a lot of conservatives will be going out of their way to suppress their own votes by November!
If there was someway for these people to keep it to themselves, I'd say go for it.  But they are going to spread it in grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, home improvement stores, etc. etc.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #595 on: April 18, 2020, 12:04:45 PM »
if they do come down w/COVID, safe to say they won't be spreading it at future Mensa meetings

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #596 on: April 18, 2020, 12:46:23 PM »
Personally I believe we need to stay shut and follow the federal guidelines for reopening.  But it's incredibly callous to not recognize the damage that these safer at home orders are doing to people's lives.  Especially if you live in areas outside of Madison and Milwaukee where the majority of the state's cases are.  We have no idea what these protestors do for a living, but if you've lost your job or had your small business decimated because of this(like me), you would be upset too.  Now I'm not going out there to protest nor would I want my family to, but I do recognize that every day we stay shut, the economic devastation starts to rival the health costs of the virus itself.  I'm not saying its an easy decision one way or the other, but its not a slam-dunk like a few people out there seem to think.  That goes for both sides of the argument too.

At the very least, in announcing May 26th as his date, I would've liked to hear the Governor provide his reasoning as to that specific date and what the state is going to do in the meantime to meet that target for reopening.  Give people the science behind your reasoning as to why the 26th is say better than the 15th or the 11th.  Tell people how you are going to procure adequate tests in that timeframe.  But he provided none or very little of that.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:50:22 PM by Warrior2008 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #597 on: April 18, 2020, 12:52:58 PM »
Idiots

https://twitter.com/JimOwczarski/status/1251540121859641344?s=19

What is hilarious about this beyond the stupidity of what they are doing is that it’s almost certain that all these people voted our incompetent administration into office. We’d be weeks ahead of where we are now if we didn’t have a clown show going on in Washington DC. And the only person who can speed this up is the clown at the top, but he is not willing to do so. So these people first need to look in the mirror and realize they’re at fault here and then turn their attention to getting Trump to get the CDC involved. It’s not like Evers is acting alone or wanting to do this. Nobody is “opening back up” because it’s not safe to and won’t be until the “leader” of the free world starts acting like one.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #598 on: April 18, 2020, 12:56:34 PM »
What is hilarious about this beyond the stupidity of what they are doing is that it’s almost certain that all these people voted our incompetent administration into office. We’d be weeks ahead of where we are now if we didn’t have a clown show going on in Washington DC. And the only person who can speed this up is the clown at the top, but he is not willing to do so. So these people first need to look in the mirror and realize they’re at fault here and then turn their attention to getting Trump to get the CDC involved. It’s not like Evers is acting alone or wanting to do this. Nobody is “opening back up” because it’s not safe to and won’t be until the “leader” of the free world starts acting like one.

Until the clown uses the DPA to force companies to produce hundreds of millions of quick tests, there really is any way things will get better. The CDC can't produce the tests we need.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #599 on: April 18, 2020, 01:03:08 PM »
If there was someway for these people to keep it to themselves, I'd say go for it.  But they are going to spread it in grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, home improvement stores, etc. etc.

Keep what to themselves?