collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318188 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #550 on: April 16, 2020, 09:08:30 PM »
From a mke hospital worker...
Good news: haven’t had anything close to a surge of Covid patients.

Bad news: lack of demand = over staffed. Started furloughing workers.

hot damn that's a great screen name bh!!

another either unintended consequence or pure stupidity and/or dictatorial response is the fact that all the other significant medical issues are being kicked down the road.  so we save lives from the virus, but watch all these abandoned(what Hippocratic oath) medical issues kill the others.  aurora has under 200 TOTAL patients in all of their facilities.  some have ZERO.  but the poor guy with a psa of 17 has his appointment pushed out to october 

oh, but abortion clinics are considered essential?   

this is what gubmint run health care looks like
don't...don't don't don't don't

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #551 on: April 16, 2020, 09:26:41 PM »
Article in Milwaukee business journal last week said Wisconsin Ascension hospitals revenue was down 60% in q1.

Friends and family who are either nurses or doctors are saying they have 3,4, and sometimes 5 patient floors fully dedicated to covid patients that are sitting empty.  The goal of the shutdown was to give the health system a chance to figure things out and get there feet underneath them. 

Mission accomplished....time to start opening things up imo.  This is unsustainable for our health system, businesses, and the general well being of the public.  If/when their are isolated hotspots we know how to identify them and minimize the damage with what we’ve learned over the past couple months.

Keep the restrictions in place through end of month and then enough of the insanity.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #552 on: April 16, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »
40+ years of no buzz cuts might be going out the window soon.

I did my own last week.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #553 on: April 16, 2020, 09:46:19 PM »
Going to be an interesting week in Wisconsin.  Our hospital is seeing many patients improve/get extubated.  previously primary care providers were unable to test patients unless they were immunocompromised or critically ill.  I received an email from the state lab today stating that all health care providers should test everyone effective today, including patients with mild disease.   Looks like we can finally test everyone which is what is needed to get everything up and running again.

Bo, which system?  (Guessing GHC, since you give the Grinch massages.   8-) 8-) )

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #554 on: April 16, 2020, 09:59:29 PM »
hot damn that's a great screen name bh!!

another either unintended consequence or pure stupidity and/or dictatorial response is the fact that all the other significant medical issues are being kicked down the road.  so we save lives from the virus, but watch all these abandoned(what Hippocratic oath) medical issues kill the others.  aurora has under 200 TOTAL patients in all of their facilities.  some have ZERO.  but the poor guy with a psa of 17 has his appointment pushed out to october 

oh, but abortion clinics are considered essential?   

this is what gubmint run health care looks like

I'm aware you're in healthcare. So I would expect you understand the difference between urgent/emergent needs and routine care. Routine care is being delayed as tolerated right now.

So, please tell me what "significant" medical issue is being "kicked down the road"? What doctors are neglecting their oaths? What patients are dying as a result of being ignored?

This crap gets me fired up.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #555 on: April 16, 2020, 10:06:29 PM »
I'm aware you're in healthcare. So I would expect you understand the difference between urgent/emergent needs and routine care. Routine care is being delayed as tolerated right now.

So, please tell me what "significant" medical issue is being "kicked down the road"? What doctors are neglecting their oaths? What patients are dying as a result of being ignored?

Hospitals are sitting empty.  Floors are pulled from normal service, to handle COVID cases.  Medical systems are furloughing doctors and nurses.  Hospitals are losing revenue.  Surgeries and treatments are postponed.  Read the news, it's not that hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #556 on: April 16, 2020, 10:23:32 PM »

I think it’s all significant. Once we’ve seen the virus doesn’t need nearly the attention the “models” were telling the “experts” time to re-adjust and get back to treating everything that was pushed aside. Triage and appoint.  Have a whole separate section for coronavirus and a designated team. Get back to hernias cardio, cancer, diagnostic, preventive...all of it. 

We have auxiliary hospitals and beds going up that we will never use. The ships docked out in New York and LA are essentially empty and wasting time, money while we are furloughing healthcare workers.

This isn’t that hard now. Yes we had to go thru a tough period, but now we have a clearer picture.  Yes, there could be a rebound but we do have medicines on the way and we are ready. When this first hit, it was like Pearl Harbor. Now we’ve ready. Is it going to be over, absolutely not. Going to take time, just like all the other pandemics

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #557 on: April 16, 2020, 10:29:22 PM »
I think it’s all significant. Once we’ve seen the virus doesn’t need nearly the attention the “models” were telling the “experts” time to re-adjust and get back to treating everything that was pushed aside. Triage and appoint.  Have a whole separate section for coronavirus and a designated team. Get back to hernias cardio, cancer, diagnostic, preventive...all of it. 

We have auxiliary hospitals and beds going up that we will never use. The ships docked out in New York and LA are essentially empty and wasting time, money while we are furloughing healthcare workers.

This isn’t that hard now. Yes we had to go thru a tough period, but now we have a clearer picture.  Yes, there could be a rebound but we do have medicines on the way and we are ready. When this first hit, it was like Pearl Harbor. Now we’ve ready. Is it going to be over, absolutely not. Going to take time, just like all the other pandemics

None of that is what you said earlier.

You made a bunch of claims. So now tell us:

Which doctors are neglecting their oaths?
What patients are dying?
What urgent/emergent medical needs are being ignored?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #558 on: April 16, 2020, 10:30:58 PM »
Hospitals are sitting empty.  Floors are pulled from normal service, to handle COVID cases.  Medical systems are furloughing doctors and nurses.  Hospitals are losing revenue.  Surgeries and treatments are postponed.  Read the news, it's not that hard.

I'm aware of those things. I'm experiencing it first hand.

But that has nothing to do with the list of things rocket claimed.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #559 on: April 16, 2020, 10:31:09 PM »

You really don't understand the things your saying.

NYC would have loved to send patients from their overburdened systems to the ships...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/nyregion/ny-coronavirus-usns-comfort.html
But the reality has been different. A tangle of military protocols and bureaucratic hurdles has prevented the Comfort from accepting many patients at all.

On top of its strict rules preventing people infected with the virus from coming on board, the Navy is also refusing to treat a host of other conditions. Guidelines disseminated to hospitals included a list of 49 medical conditions that would exclude a patient from admittance to the ship.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #560 on: April 16, 2020, 10:44:21 PM »
You really don't understand the things your saying.

NYC would have loved to send patients from their overburdened systems to the ships...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/nyregion/ny-coronavirus-usns-comfort.html

Ope, Wisconsin thread here, aina.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #561 on: April 16, 2020, 11:06:35 PM »

Thankfully it looks as though, unlike our federal government, many states are learning from what they are seeing from places being hit ahead of them and being proactive in their approach rather than being reactive.

If we had a leader at the top our country might actually be ready to reopen by now. Sadly we don’t and we need to stay home for at least another month. Maybe our federal government will be prepared by then? But I doubt it!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #562 on: April 16, 2020, 11:13:26 PM »
Thankfully it looks as though, unlike our federal government, many states are learning from what they are seeing from places being hit ahead of them and being proactive in their approach rather than being reactive.

If we had a leader at the top our country might actually be ready to reopen by now. Sadly we don’t and we need to stay home for at least another month. Maybe our federal government will be prepared by then? But I doubt it!

What will be different on May 26th as opposed to April 26th other then thousands of more people losing jobs that will make you more comfortable to reopen then instead of in a couple weeks?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #563 on: April 16, 2020, 11:19:02 PM »
What will be different on May 26th as opposed to April 26th other then thousands of more people losing jobs that will make you more comfortable to reopen then instead of in a couple weeks?

Maybe by then everyone will have a test ad promised by the president a month ago.

Or maybe the weather will be warm enough for the spring miracle we were promised and the April 0 cases will be met.

But mainly the testing should be further along.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #564 on: April 17, 2020, 12:16:46 AM »

Tell our buddy rocket. He brought up ships in NY and LA. Unless you think those are in WI.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #565 on: April 17, 2020, 02:15:17 AM »
Tell our buddy rocket. He brought up ships in NY and LA. Unless you think those are in WI.

Come on man, I was using the ship docked in ny and LA as examples of the healthcare facilities run amok   We moved them into position because the “experts” said they were going to be 2.2 million dead and our system would be overwhelmed.  Ok, always to have more food than ya need when having guests over, but once ya see only 10 of your invited 20 guests came over, ya don’t keep ordering more pizza or Arby’s or whatever.  If ya do, at least give The leftovers away to a food pantry or your neighbors college kids or something

Time to reopen the parts of the hospitals that are unused and resume regular healthcare practices to employ the furloughed nurses and help mr/ms Smith with their colonoscopies

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #566 on: April 17, 2020, 05:54:37 AM »
Bo, which system?  (Guessing GHC, since you give the Grinch massages.   8-) 8-) )

Bo I think works in a hospital in the MKE area. Also I don’t know think GHC physicians are able to follow their patients in the hospital. Could be wrong.

I do worry what’s happened to all of the “other patients.” Our ED/ER was running about 25% of normal the past month. This week I would say it’s closer to 40-50%. By the way, this is a world wide thing. We will probably see a surge of patients with chest pain, wounds, high BP, etc. now.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #567 on: April 17, 2020, 07:09:46 AM »
oops, just noted your post now-"multiple errors" admitting to "none"?  source?  go review how H1N1 was handled by you know who and get back to me. 

1st case documented 4/18/2009

6/11/2001-WHO issues pandemic alert

10/24/2009-obama declares public health emergency-this after more than 1000 people had already DIED

i don't remember near the hysteria and/or hard 24/7 condemnations of obama during this time during our first "scandal free" administration of course.  let all the arse covering begin in 3...2...1...

regardless of whether not admittance was made of any "misunderstanding", corrections have been continually been made along the way.  if you are waiting to see anything good or at least "acceptable" on cnn, msnbc, abc, cbs, nbc, huffpost, bloomberg, et.al. it will never happen.  our country has been carpet bombed with all bad news for a number of reasons-tds and "the experts narrative"

If only we could factcheck this...oh wait, we can:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-h1n1-swine-flu-pandemic-spin/

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #568 on: April 17, 2020, 07:14:59 AM »
Hospitals are sitting empty.  Floors are pulled from normal service, to handle COVID cases.  Medical systems are furloughing doctors and nurses.

This is one of the things that really isn't sitting well with me and is making me very nervous about the future. About a month ago, we were told, essentially, that we cannot contain this thing and that we needed to slow the spread so that our health care system didn't get overwhelmed.  I believed that then and, frankly, I still believe it.  Maybe even more now than then.  But most states (including my own) were were not even close to capacity in the health care system. I fully understand that a handful of areas were overwhelmed, but that was definitely not the norm.

So, I am concerned that the isolation/mitigation worked too well. When we "open things back up", I cannot envision a scenario where this doesn't explode again.  Cases will go up.  And, frankly, in keeping with the inevitable infection/flatten the curve theory of handling that pandemic, cases should go up. That would be a feature, not a flaw as people sometimes say.  I'm fully aware of how callous that sounds. It sincerely bothers me that I feel this way.  But if we cannot stop this thing, it seems that we should be shooting for a rate of infection that pushes the system close to the breaking point, but not over it.  And I think people are going to absolutely lose their s*#t when this happens.

I'm finding it difficult to feel optimistic right now.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:16:41 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #569 on: April 17, 2020, 07:22:51 AM »
This is one of the things that really isn't sitting well with me and is making me very nervous about the future. About a month ago, we were told, essentially, that we cannot contain this thing and that we needed to slow the spread so that our health care system didn't get overwhelmed.  I believed that then and, frankly, I still believe it.  Maybe even more now than then.  But in most states (including my own) were were not even close to capacity in the health care system. I fully understand that a handful of areas were overwhelmed, but that was definitely not the norm.

So, I am concerned that the isolation/mitigation worked too well. When we "open things back up", I cannot envision a scenario where this doesn't explode again.  Cases will go up.  And, frankly, in keeping with the inevitable infection/flatten the curve theory of handling that pandemic, cases should go up. That would be a feature, not a flaw as people sometimes say.  I'm fully aware of how callous that sounds. It sincerely bothers me that I feel this way.  But if we cannot stop this thing, it seems that we should be shooting for a rate of infection that pushes the system close to the breaking point, but not over it.  And I think people are going to absolutely lose their s*#t when this happens.

I'm finding it difficult to feel optimistic right now.

I don't disagree, but social distancing is the most simplistic & bluntest tools at our disposal.  It controls the virus but exacts high societal harm elsewhere (better than uncontrolled virus, but not great).

Better therapy is a step in the right direction - we needed to buy the scientists time to do their work.  This can just get the throughput up in the hospitals then we can successfully handle more (and protect life and allow people to take greater risk).

If we can ramp up testing & contact tracing that can be another step to stamping out the virus.  Being smarter on who needs to be isolated.  Finding the asymptomatic and stopping them from spreading.  Finding the immune - get their plasma and get them to work.

Finally vaccine.  What probably gets us back to the old world.

So don't scream about when to turn the blunt tool on and off--yell about getting more sophisticated.  More testing supplies, PPE, better systems to contact trace.  What can we do nationally and locally to help speed up the scientists.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #570 on: April 17, 2020, 07:35:34 AM »
We moved them into position because the “experts” said they were going to be 2.2 million dead and our system would be overwhelmed.
That was the projection if nothing was done to flatten the curve. As predictable as the sunrise, when social distancing actually worked, people like you think that proves we didn't need to do it in the first place. You are quite the "healthcare professional".
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:38:41 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #571 on: April 17, 2020, 07:43:54 AM »

It is truly breathtaking to see your evolution about this topic over the last three months.  Do you remember when we used to agree on most things early on?  Now you've done a 180 and got your marching orders from your masters and have stopped thinking for yourself.  It's really too bad, and its hard to watch this happen to someone in real time.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #572 on: April 17, 2020, 07:47:53 AM »
I think it’s all significant. Once we’ve seen the virus doesn’t need nearly the attention the “models” were telling the “experts” time to re-adjust and get back to treating everything that was pushed aside.

You do realize the reason things are better than expected is BECAUSE of efforts like safer at home right??  You are not seriously going to fall for the gaslighting that it was never that serious to begin with are you??

(Hold on.  What a stupid question.  Of COURSE you are....)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #573 on: April 17, 2020, 07:50:34 AM »
It is truly breathtaking to see your evolution about this topic over the last three months.  Do you remember when we used to agree on most things early on?  Now you've done a 180 and got your marching orders from your masters and have stopped thinking for yourself.  It's really too bad, and its hard to watch this happen to someone in real time.

Honestly I would be fine if someone said "look, I know Trump handled this wrong, but I am still voting for him because of x, y and z."  At least that it is an intellectually honest position.

But to fall victim to simple political manipulation is so sad and pathetic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #574 on: April 17, 2020, 07:55:58 AM »

As wades mentioned...testing.

Also, cases should be going down by that point.  (They are stil rising.)  Everyone has said from the beginning that you need to go two weeks past peak.  May 26 *should* be beyond that timeframe.  I think they probably could have gone a week or two earlier, but things may change and things could open up earlier.

But the biggest issue here is that our safety net sucks in the United States.  We would be able to weather this a lot better if we actually cared about providing a safety net instead of spending the last 40 years sitting back and making moral judgements against those who have to use it.

feedback