collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 318205 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #300 on: April 07, 2020, 12:57:10 PM »
You've got today's the Onion!

Wisconsin Primary Voters Receive ‘I Voted’ Gravestones

https://politics.theonion.com/wisconsin-primary-voters-receive-i-voted-gravestones-1842729790

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #301 on: April 07, 2020, 02:24:07 PM »

Where do you see this?

Anyway, apparently it is taking three hours for people to get through the voting lines in Green Bay.  Absolutely insane.

The line at Riverside HS in Milwaukee - one of only 5 polling places in the city - extends for blocks and blocks.

Franklin - 87% white (pop. 35,000) has 5 polling places.
Glendale - 80% white (pop. 13,000) has 5 polling places.
Milwaukee - 35% white (pop. 590,000) has 5 polling places.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #302 on: April 07, 2020, 02:37:39 PM »
The line at Riverside HS in Milwaukee - one of only 5 polling places in the city - extends for blocks and blocks.

Franklin - 87% white (pop. 35,000) has 5 polling places.
Glendale - 80% white (pop. 13,000) has 5 polling places.
Milwaukee - 35% white (pop. 590,000) has 5 polling places.

You do realize that each municipality staffs and sets up their own polling stations.   Not the governor, not the legislature, not the county.  Milwaukee chose to go this route.  Milwaukee alone.

Plus, the National Guard was activated to assist with polling places.  I guess Milwaukee chose not to ask for assistance.

Waukesha is just as dumb.

Due to ADA rules, many polling places are at nursing homes or assisted living facilities, which obviously can't be used.  This was known weeks ago.

Yet, somehow, no issues in Madison, with limited polling places.  In fact, without having school in session,  the voting area isnt conflicting with school, so they are able to spread out the voting area even further in the gyms or cafeterias. See Toki middle school in Madison.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #303 on: April 07, 2020, 02:43:44 PM »

Plus, the National Guard was activated to assist with polling places.  I guess Milwaukee chose not to ask for assistance.

Unless he's completely lying, they did- https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1245475428086710273

And also this- https://twitter.com/MSpicuzzaMJS/status/1247559350685765632

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #304 on: April 07, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #305 on: April 07, 2020, 03:00:25 PM »
Hadn't seen that.

My other points are valid.

Other than the systematic marginalization of nonwhite voters, yeah, good points.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #306 on: April 07, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »
Other than the systematic marginalization of nonwhite voters, yeah, good points.

Notice, again, that there are no issues in Madison. 2nd largest African American community in the state. 

Milwaukee is just incompetent.  Likely planned, so as to throw the results of the election in to dispute.  (That's me channelling my inner TSmith for partisan and stupid ideas.)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #307 on: April 07, 2020, 03:10:31 PM »
Hadn't seen that.

My other points are valid.

What other points?  Your entire point is that Milwaukee has too few polling stations based on the fact they never asked for National Guard assistance.  But they did ask.  And they were only given a response yesterday.

How are you supposed to help plan for something if you don't get a response when you need one?  It almost makes you wonder...

And if your larger point is that Milwaukee is bad at this stuff in general, well OK.  That still isn't right for the voters in Milwaukee.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #308 on: April 07, 2020, 04:02:30 PM »
Notice, again, that there are no issues in Madison. 2nd largest African American community in the state. 

Milwaukee is just incompetent.  Likely planned, so as to throw the results of the election in to dispute.  (That's me channelling my inner TSmith for partisan and stupid ideas.)
Oh you poor, poor snowflake.

They say it out loud for bog's sake.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/21/trump-adviser-republicans-voter-suppression

Top Trump adviser: Republicans have 'always' relied on voter suppression
"One of Donald Trump’s top re-election advisers told influential Republicans in swing state Wisconsin that the party has “traditionally” relied on voter suppression to compete in battleground states, according to an audio recording of a private event. The adviser said later that his remarks referred to frequent and false accusations that Republicans employ such tactics.

But the report emerged just days after news that a conservative group is forcing Wisconsin to purge upwards of 230,000 people from state voter rolls more than a year earlier than planned, a move that would disproportionately affect Democrats before the 2020 election."

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/accidental-republican-candor-about-voter-id-laws
Accidental Republican candor about voter-ID laws
"Jim DeMint, the former South Carolina senator and Tea Party firebrand who is now the president of the Heritage Foundation, became the latest in a string of conservatives to admit that restrictive voting laws such as voter ID requirements are an attempt to help Republicans win elections, telling a St. Louis radio host yesterday that voter ID laws help elect “more conservative candidates.”
<snip?
But DeMint then turned to voter-ID laws. “t’s something we’re working on all over the country because in the states where they do have voter ID laws you’ve seen, actually, elections begin to change towards more conservative candidates,” he said.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:12:21 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #309 on: April 07, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »
Indeed .. I would like to see how Milwaukee came up with the number 5 for polling places.    Is it .. the Mayor?  Some .. Milwaukee Election Commission? 

Was it that they only had enough people to staff 5 stations?   How are the little villages able to staff 3-4 locations, but 600k Milwaukee can only scrape together enough for 5?

What happens when the line is 3 hours long for the 8pm close?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #310 on: April 07, 2020, 04:48:20 PM »
Indeed .. I would like to see how Milwaukee came up with the number 5 for polling places.    Is it .. the Mayor?  Some .. Milwaukee Election Commission? 

Was it that they only had enough people to staff 5 stations?   How are the little villages able to staff 3-4 locations, but 600k Milwaukee can only scrape together enough for 5?

WE VOTE LATE, ITS NOT LIKE ANYONE HAS TO GO TO WORK!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #311 on: April 07, 2020, 05:23:06 PM »
Apparently 15,000 people in Milwaukee alone who requested an absentee ballot did not receive one.

I hope people like waiting outside in a thunderstorm for 3 hours to go catch covid 19 while voting!

Good job Wisconsin. The conservatives knocked this one out of the park.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #312 on: April 07, 2020, 05:31:23 PM »
Damnit.

I was thinking it was a nice 72 and sunny day to have people standing outside for 3 hours to vote.

Aaaaaaand now it's hailing.    Huge downpour.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #313 on: April 07, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »
How did the Wisconsin Supreme Court meet to decide this?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #314 on: April 07, 2020, 06:45:21 PM »

WI speaker of the house at a polling site. Says it’s perfectly safe.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #315 on: April 07, 2020, 06:50:24 PM »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #316 on: April 07, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
Apparently 15,000 people in Milwaukee alone who requested an absentee ballot did not receive one.

I hope people like waiting outside in a thunderstorm for 3 hours to go catch covid 19 while voting!

Good job Wisconsin. The conservatives knocked this one out of the park.

You mean they shoved it up our @ss*s.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #317 on: April 07, 2020, 07:01:57 PM »

Article that I saw that yes, it was because poll workers refused to show up due to the risk. (Note: that's what I read, but I don't know if that has been verified.)
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #318 on: April 07, 2020, 07:04:57 PM »
So nurses can’t get enough PPE, but Vos can.

I can’t find the words for my contempt.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #319 on: April 07, 2020, 07:28:30 PM »
So nurses can’t get enough PPE, but Vos can.

I can’t find the words for my contempt.

There aren't any shortages of ppe in any hospital I've worked at nor have any friends said any about theirs yet.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #320 on: April 07, 2020, 07:52:06 PM »
Still feeling like you upgraded governments by leaving IL, chick?  :P

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #321 on: April 07, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #322 on: April 07, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »
The AP reporter said that was a staged shot and he refused to come anywhere near voters or volunteers. He also refused to go to any Milwaukee sites.

Good stuff. Very safe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #323 on: April 07, 2020, 08:06:52 PM »
This is amazingly amusing. Thanks for sharing.

must have run out of coffee?
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #324 on: April 07, 2020, 08:09:25 PM »
The AP reporter said that was a staged shot and he refused to come anywhere near voters or volunteers. He also refused to go to any Milwaukee sites.

Good stuff. Very safe.

Pretty sure Vos is scared of Milwaukee on even a good day.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow