collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 285881 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #1450 on: August 15, 2020, 09:17:45 PM »
From what I've heard on the broadcasts, it seems that the Brewers radio team is doing it remotely, while pat and Ron seem to be traveling.

Brewers tv crew isnt travelling either, broadcating from miller park.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1451 on: August 15, 2020, 09:21:02 PM »
Pretty sure it’s a league wide rule that no radio or TV announcers are traveling.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1452 on: August 18, 2020, 09:47:33 AM »
This whole Tatis grand slam controversy is really, really stupid. Young star thrown under the bus by his manager for an "unwritten rules" violation.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1453 on: August 18, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
This whole Tatis grand slam controversy is really, really stupid. Young star thrown under the bus by his manager for an "unwritten rules" violation.

But can he hit two Grand Slams in the same inning off of the same pitcher, like his dad did?...one of my favorite all time MLB records.

And the criticism of Jr. is nothing short of absurd, ridiculous.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:18:13 AM by shoothoops »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1454 on: August 18, 2020, 10:29:22 AM »
In some sports, I get not running up the score. I don't get it in baseball. There's no time limit. I have seen teams come down from 6+ runs in the bottom of ninth before. It's not likely but the game is never out of reach. These are pros, not little leaguers, if you don't want to get blown out, play better.

Now if the manager told him to take the pitch and he swung away, maybe still have a conversation about following directions but no need to call him out publicly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1455 on: August 18, 2020, 11:00:32 AM »
I'm going to withhold judgement until the Cardinals and their fans adjudicate this unwritren rule.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1456 on: August 18, 2020, 07:30:23 PM »

I agree. I’ve followed baseball for 65 years and have never heard of this “unwritten rule”. I get not stealing a base up big but why can’t a guy swing away at 3 and 0?

If he missed the “take” sign and if his manager wants to make a point internally I get it. I don’t get the public shaming, though.

• All American
« Reply #1457 on: August 18, 2020, 07:38:28 PM »
I agree. I’ve followed baseball for 65 years and have never heard of this “unwritten rule”. I get not stealing a base up big but why can’t a guy swing away at 3 and 0?

If he missed the “take” sign and if his manager wants to make a point internally I get it. I don’t get the public shaming, though.

I commented to my son that the unwritten rules seem to grow by the year. 

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #1458 on: August 18, 2020, 11:19:20 PM »
I get not stealing a base up big but why can’t a guy swing away at 3 and 0?

I don't get why either of these is a problem. What is the difference between the two in your eyes? Not trying to be antagonistic. Just curious because I saw this distinction in an SI article today about the "controversy" and it seems like an arbitrary distinction to me.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1459 on: August 18, 2020, 11:35:44 PM »
@JeffPassan: Unwritten rules are unwritten because when you write them down it exposes how truly stupid they are.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1460 on: August 19, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »
I don't get why either of these is a problem. What is the difference between the two in your eyes? Not trying to be antagonistic. Just curious because I saw this distinction in an SI article today about the "controversy" and it seems like an arbitrary distinction to me.

I think for me its that if you don't actively try to succeed in an at bat, you fail. You strikeout with the bat on your shoulder, etc. Whereas there is no downside to not stealing a base. Plus stealing bases is probably one of the most common ways a position player can get hurt, so he probably doesn't typically want to take off up 6 runs either.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1461 on: August 19, 2020, 11:24:39 AM »

I think the distinction is that a batter swinging at a pitch is an essential part of the game. No matter what the score, pitchers pitch trying to get outs and hitters hit trying to gets hits. Stealing bases adds an unnecessary dimension.

Comparing it to other sports, nobody complains if a back breaks a basic running play for a long TD in a rout, but passing and trick plays would be seen as rubbing it in. And in basketball, nobody says the team way ahead shouldn’t take and try to make shots, but a full court press when up big late is not a good look.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1462 on: August 19, 2020, 08:03:20 PM »
Thom Brennaman getting canceled?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1463 on: August 19, 2020, 08:18:17 PM »

Young thhhom brenneman, as Harry used to say.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1464 on: August 19, 2020, 08:28:31 PM »
I think the distinction is that a batter swinging at a pitch is an essential part of the game. No matter what the score, pitchers pitch trying to get outs and hitters hit trying to gets hits. Stealing bases adds an unnecessary dimension.

Comparing it to other sports, nobody complains if a back breaks a basic running play for a long TD in a rout, but passing and trick plays would be seen as rubbing it in. And in basketball, nobody says the team way ahead shouldn’t take and try to make shots, but a full court press when up big late is not a good look.

A batter swinging on a 3-0 count with a 7 run lead in the 8th inning as Tatis Jr. did is baseball’s version of running up the score!! Batters know it’s almost a certainty in that situation they’re getting a fastball right in the heart of the strike zone. All he had to do not to be a jacka$$ in that situation is watch the fastball go by and take your hacks the rest of the at bat, when you’re  only guessing again at what’s coming. 

There should be such a thing still as showing a little respect for your opponent when you’re giving them a beat down.  It was a very cheap way of padding his stats. He crossed the line.  Yes, some unwritten rules of baseball are stupid. But the trifecta of the situation- count, score, and inning, made it a blatant piling on a la the way you embarrass a basketball or football team when you’re just trying to run the score up on them. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1465 on: August 19, 2020, 08:36:00 PM »
First the MLB comes down on Joe Kelly for the Astros cheating.

Now they threaten Trevor Bauer.

Meanwhile, all the cheating Astros... crickets

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1466 on: August 19, 2020, 08:37:27 PM »

Initial response, mentioning your employers by name but not mentioning the LGBTQ community isn't going to go over well. He was definitely more panicked about losing his job.

https://twitter.com/TrevorPetersTV/status/1296254722299645952?s=19

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1467 on: August 19, 2020, 08:39:02 PM »
A batter swinging on a 3-0 count with a 7 run lead in the 8th inning as Tatis Jr. did is baseball’s version of running up the score!! Batters know it’s almost a certainty in that situation they’re getting a fastball right in the heart of the strike zone. All he had to do not to be a jacka$$ in that situation is watch the fastball go by and take your hacks the rest of the at bat, when you’re  only guessing again at what’s coming. 

There should be such a thing still as showing a little respect for your opponent when you’re giving them a beat down.  It was a very cheap way of padding his stats. He crossed the line.  Yes, some unwritten rules of baseball are stupid. But the trifecta of the situation- count, score, and inning, made it a blatant piling on a la the way you embarrass a basketball or football team when you’re just trying to run the score up on them.

Oh no. A bunch of people making millions of dollars to play a sport just fell behind even more in an early season baseball game! How horrible!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1468 on: August 19, 2020, 08:41:52 PM »

This is really dumb. What should he do?  Strike out?  Just hit a single? 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1469 on: August 19, 2020, 08:44:43 PM »

This is really dumb. What should he do?  Strike out?  Just hit a single?

Maybe read what I wrote?!? Because I spelled it out. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1470 on: August 19, 2020, 08:58:43 PM »

And what happens if the Rangers scored 7 runs over the remaining two innings? Who's the jacka$$ then?

This isn't little league. These are professionals whose bats are capable of heating up at any point and no time limit to stop them. Game is never out of reach. I think hurting the feelings of his opponents is less important than securing the W.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1471 on: August 19, 2020, 09:01:55 PM »
If anyone subscribes to Jomboy on Youtube, he has a fair breakdown IMO.  This was a young guy who may not know the exact unwritten rules because well, they're unwritten.  What's the exact cutoff line? 6 runs, 7, 8? You will also see that he didn't even look at his third base coach or dugout in between the 3rd and 4th pitch so he couldn't have seen the take sign.  Also, while the pitch was a strike, it wasn't exactly right down the middle.  He later apologized and said he wants to use it as a learning experience.  Other than leave the bat on his shoulder, not sure what else he is expected to do.  Think there's a lot of overreacting going on.  All IMO of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaW5B2SEnXg 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1472 on: August 19, 2020, 09:03:44 PM »
I get more “offended” or “upset” about a guy pimping a home run in a tight game than a guy teeing off on a meatball in a blowout. But neither one really matters at all.

If anyone subscribes to Jomboy on Youtube, he has a fair breakdown IMO.  This was a young guy who may not know the exact unwritten rules because well, they're unwritten.  What's the exact cutoff line? 6 runs, 7, 8? You will also see that he didn't even look at his third base coach or dugout in between the 3rd and 4th pitch so he couldn't have seen the take sign.  Also, while the pitch was a strike, it wasn't exactly right down the middle.  He later apologized and said he wants to use it as a learning experience.  Other than leave the bat on his shoulder, not sure what else he is expected to do.  Think there's a lot of overreacting going on.  All IMO of course.

He grew up as the son of an MLB player, and I’d guess he grew up around MLB clubhouses. He shouldn’t have apologized at all. The managers mishandled it and he became the scapegoat.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1473 on: August 19, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »

Give me a break. His whole life has been growing up in baseball and the big leagues. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Take the 3-0 fastball and hack to your hearts content to hit one out after that pitch.  That’s what he was  expected to do.   Ask his manager. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1474 on: August 19, 2020, 09:13:07 PM »
And what happens if the Rangers scored 7 runs over the remaining two innings? Who's the jacka$$ then?

This isn't little league. These are professionals whose bats are capable of heating up at any point and no time limit to stop them. Game is never out of reach. I think hurting the feelings of his opponents is less important than securing the W.

Certainly- swing away after the pitch where you know it’s going to be grooved right down the plate for you on a pitch that major leaguers feast on more than any, especially when they know it’s coming. 

Again- count, score, and inning trifecta matter. 

And 7 run comebacks in your last two at bats are not terribly common, except in little league.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 09:45:57 PM by HutchwasClutch »