collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 286117 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #1250 on: July 27, 2020, 10:19:22 AM »
Sew if da season ended today, due da Brewers make da playoffs, hey?

The last-place-in-all-of-MLB Brewers?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1251 on: July 27, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »
So you certainly can't let the Yankees play at the Phillies tonight either, right?

They aren't. Already cancelled.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: July 27, 2020, 11:28:22 AM »
I can’t believe they were allowed to play after having positive tests. That’s a huge failure by MLB leaving that decision up to players.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: July 27, 2020, 11:59:28 AM »
Sucks.  Push the season two weeks.  In that time evaluate what went wrong.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1254 on: July 27, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
Sucks.  Push the season two weeks.  In that time evaluate what went wrong.

Its looking like bubbles are the only way to make this work.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1255 on: July 27, 2020, 05:23:27 PM »
Since it's public now, I feel like I can comment on Kopech. I had heard last month there was some bad stuff going on in his personal life, specifically his marriage. I didn't want to comment on it, didn't feel it was right. As some of you know, my family has gotten to know Michael, and Michael asked us last year to partner with him on him growing out his hair for charity (Ronald McDonald House), and then my son cut his hair at Ronald McDonald House just before SoxFest this past January.

I don't have his number, or keep in contact with him directly, but through the Sox I'll every now and then either get or send a message his way. When I heard he was opting out, I reached out to my Sox contact and just said "hey, hope everything is ok with Michael, sending good thoughts his way". Reply I got back was "Not injury related, personal issues, can't say much more". I didn't know any more than that, and wasn't going to ask.

Michael is a really good dude. He's battled inner demons, and I can't imagine what he's going through now. I don't think that baby is his, and from the moment his ex-wife announced it, I immediately noticed there was no mention of Michael, he wasn't in any pictures, and it didn't seem good.

I hope he one day pitches for the Sox again, but more than anything, I hope he can get the support system in place to just be mentally healthy. That's the most important thing for him, and all of us.

Sorry if this is a lame post, and not trying to play the "I know him!" card, just sucks seeing a guy I consider to be a decent young man, who I respect for helping to try to fight childhood cancer, have to battle more inner demons.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1256 on: July 27, 2020, 05:45:33 PM »
Not lame at all Dish. You’ve been very vocal and forthright about your relationship with him. You’re the first person I thought of after seeing the news.

By all accounts, including yours, he’s a good dude and fairly grounded. In the least condescending way possible, I hope his next romantic endeavors are away from the celebrity sphere. Between the Bierman’s wannabe-Kardashian vortex and now a popular actress, it can be a brutal space, especially for a young dude from nowhere Texas.

I have a friend who is a director in LA. One of his good friends is a B/C list actor you’d recognize. He does VERY well with the ladies and handles himself and his fame well. He dated a B list actress recently and it was his first “celeb” relationship. My buddy said it was a disaster that flamed our cause he wasn’t at all prepared for it and it was a level of complex and challenging he wasn’t aware it would be.

Anyways, hope he gets it sorted out and gets his mind right. He’s still unbelievably young for a top tier MLB pitcher

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1257 on: July 27, 2020, 06:49:52 PM »
Nads, ewe kan put NBA, NFL, NHL, and all of kollege sportz inta dat statement two, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1258 on: July 27, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »
Not lame at all Dish. You’ve been very vocal and forthright about your relationship with him. You’re the first person I thought of after seeing the news.

By all accounts, including yours, he’s a good dude and fairly grounded. In the least condescending way possible, I hope his next romantic endeavors are away from the celebrity sphere. Between the Bierman’s wannabe-Kardashian vortex and now a popular actress, it can be a brutal space, especially for a young dude from nowhere Texas.

I have a friend who is a director in LA. One of his good friends is a B/C list actor you’d recognize. He does VERY well with the ladies and handles himself and his fame well. He dated a B list actress recently and it was his first “celeb” relationship. My buddy said it was a disaster that flamed our cause he wasn’t at all prepared for it and it was a level of complex and challenging he wasn’t aware it would be.

Anyways, hope he gets it sorted out and gets his mind right. He’s still unbelievably young for a top tier MLB pitcher

This is good perspective, and totally agree. I texted a friend and said I think the reason Kopech has dated celebs is because (my personal opinion) is he’s not comfortable with fame. I know that might not make sense, but I think he sought out those relationships as a crutch to help him through it (I could be way off).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: July 27, 2020, 07:13:29 PM »

Ditto what Wags says.

Thanks for sharing what you could, Dish.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: July 27, 2020, 07:15:05 PM »
Nads, ewe kan put NBA, NFL, NHL, and all of kollege sportz inta dat statement two, hey?

You might be right, but I think the NBA and NHL have a shot at having their seasons because their dynamic is so much different from the rest.

Hard for me to imagine NFL or college football pulling it off, especially college. I'd put hoops in that category, too, but there are still a few months to go before a decision has to be made there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1261 on: July 27, 2020, 11:26:17 PM »
The Cubs just may need to eat Kimbrel’s contract (they won’t). Something is obviously wrong with him. I’m not making fun of him, but something is not right either physically or mentally.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1262 on: July 28, 2020, 05:18:33 AM »
Nice comeback for the crew last night. Glad to have the punching bag pirates back. Never forget the win streak the brewers had against them a handful of years back.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: July 28, 2020, 09:10:26 AM »
Baseball is aptly named the national pastime.  It's past its time of relevancy.  Most overpaid "athletes" on the planet.  Boring.  Game needs a "pitch clock," (like 10 seconds from the time pitcher gets the ball back) and to be shortened to 7 innings.  Sitting through a 3-4 hour game is like watching paint dry.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: July 28, 2020, 09:14:33 AM »
The Cubs just may need to eat Kimbrel’s contract (they won’t). Something is obviously wrong with him. I’m not making fun of him, but something is not right either physically or mentally.

NL Central might create a go fund me to keep him around.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1265 on: July 28, 2020, 09:25:11 AM »
Sitting through a 3-4 hour game is like watching paint dry.

I find football pretty boring too.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #1266 on: July 28, 2020, 09:38:51 AM »
I find football pretty boring too.

Attention spans are shortening by the day.  Perhaps that explains the decline in popularity of baseball.  Certainly, the ratings suggest America loves its football.  Obviously a football game is an event, due to their scarcity.  Baseball with 162 games?  WAY too much "product."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1267 on: July 28, 2020, 09:43:03 AM »
I love watching baseball (though agree they should take measures to make games shorter). I can't stand watching football on TV anymore. In person is still fun but sitting through 2 hours of commercials and an hour of players standing around for maybe 15 minutes of action just doesn't do it for me anymore. My love of basketball trumps both obviously
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: July 28, 2020, 09:48:35 AM »
I love watching baseball (though agree they should take measures to make games shorter). I can't stand watching football on TV anymore. In person is still fun but sitting through 2 hours of commercials and an hour of players standing around for maybe 15 minutes of action just doesn't do it for me anymore. My love of basketball trumps both obviously

Basketball is king for me too. Understand the sentiment about football.  I usually DVR main games I want to watch and start them about 1 hour into the game.  I also like to watch Red Zone Network which eliminates that down time you mention.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1269 on: July 28, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »

Sounds like you've been watching a bit of footie lately.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1270 on: July 28, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »
Baseball is aptly named the national pastime.  It's past its time of relevancy.  Most overpaid "athletes" on the planet.  Boring.  Game needs a "pitch clock," (like 10 seconds from the time pitcher gets the ball back) and to be shortened to 7 innings.  Sitting through a 3-4 hour game is like watching paint dry.

.... so... don't watch?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1271 on: July 28, 2020, 11:13:03 AM »

Could not agree more. As for basketball I love the college game, the NBA not so much. I hate when an NBA star can take multiple steps to the basket and not get called for traveling while a sub gets called because he moved his pivot foot.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1272 on: July 28, 2020, 11:19:18 AM »
I've kind of figured out that most sports are background noise for me.  I really only actively watch games involving teams with rooting interests - Packers and Warriors especially.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1273 on: July 28, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »
National players have apparently voted not to travel to Miami this weekend for their series with the Marlins.

Things are going well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: July 28, 2020, 11:23:45 AM »
Basketball is by far my favorite to watch.  NBA is by far the more entertaining game to watch.  I'll watch a random NBA game well before I'll watch a random college basketball game.

I'd take football over baseball.  But I still enjoy watching baseball.  I won't make it a priority to sit through entire games until the Playoffs.  But I love the baseball Playoffs, maybe more than any of the other sports.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter