collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 NBA Draft  (Read 17018 times)

wadesworld

• All American
2018 NBA Draft
« on: June 15, 2018, 02:07:48 PM »
With the NBA Draft less than a week away what are the thoughts of MUScoop?  If you had a top pick who are you taking?  Who are you hoping your team gets where they are?

Who I think goes top 10 (probably won't be exact as I didn't really look much into each team's roster makeup, but just a rough guestimate about where players might go):
1) Ayton
2) Bagley
3) Jackson
4) Doncic
5) Bamba
6) Young
7) Porter Jr.
8) Carter
9) Mikal Bridges
10) Sexton

My personal top 10:
1) Ayton
2) Bagley
3) Bamba
4) Young
5) Bridges
6) Doncic
7) Carter
8) Sexton
9) Jackson
10) Porter Jr.

Who I want the Bucks to pick:
1) Khyrie Thomas
2) Troy Brown
3) Zhaire Smith
4) Kevin Huerter
5) Jalen Brunson (trade down)

I like a lot of guys projected to go late first round/early second round, some more than the middle first round group.  Brunson, Spellman, Bates-Diop, Carr.

I think Bamba could end up being the best player in this draft, but at this point Bagley and Ayton are so far ahead of him offensively and their floors are so much higher I couldn't put Bamba above those two.  After those 3, I'm not totally sold on any of the other top players.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: 2018 NBA Draft
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

Who I want the Bucks to pick:
1) Khyrie Thomas
2) Troy Brown
3) Zhaire Smith
4) Kevin Huerter
5) Jalen Brunson (trade down)

I love Khyrie, but the biggest need for the Bucks is a guy who can consistently shoot 3s.

The more I think about it, the more I like Huerter.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 12:22:53 PM »
So what are the Bulls fans here thinking? 

I really want nothing to do with Young and I hope Orlando takes the decision out of our front office's hands.  The lack of size and athleticism worries me and he will just get abused defensively.   

MPJ has a lot of questions surrounding him in terms of health and how he'd fit but the star potential is hard to overlook. 

I've also been warming up quite a bit to Carter (assuming Bamba goes in the top 5).  He seems like he could fit nicely with Lauri. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
So what are the Bulls fans here thinking? 

I really want nothing to do with Young and I hope Orlando takes the decision out of our front office's hands.  The lack of size and athleticism worries me and he will just get abused defensively.   

MPJ has a lot of questions surrounding him in terms of health and how he'd fit but the star potential is hard to overlook. 

I've also been warming up quite a bit to Carter (assuming Bamba goes in the top 5).  He seems like he could fit nicely with Lauri.

So, I don't love Young and there are players I'd rather see the Bulls draft, but I think the way he exploded onto the scene early led to some impossible expectations and really harsh overanalysis as a result. He has some weaknesses, but I think the potential to be a special player is there.
That said, Bamba is my first choice, and assuming he's gone, I'd take Mikal Bridges. Fills a huge need, can help immediately, has the potential to be an elite defender.

I'm not at all sold on Wendell Carter. Slow, offensively limited, rarely seemed dominant in college.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:09:45 PM »

I'm not at all sold on Wendell Carter. Slow, offensively limited, rarely seemed dominant in college.

Guessing you haven't seen him play yet. He's not slow and is not offensively limited - 56% shooting 41%+ shooting from 3. Per 40 minutes, he averaged 20.3 pts. 13.5 rebounds and 3+ assists and over 2 blocks. Those are close to superstar numbers - all on a team that had Bagley and Allen who dominated the ball.

He is a future all-star in the NBA.

Just my guess, but I don't think the Bulls will have to decide whether to draft him or not.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »

Guessing you haven't seen him play yet. He's not slow and is not offensively limited - 56% shooting 41%+ shooting from 3. Per 40 minutes, he averaged 20.3 pts. 13.5 rebounds and 3+ assists and over 2 blocks. Those are close to superstar numbers - all on a team that had Bagley and Allen who dominated the ball.

He is a future all-star in the NBA.

Just my guess, but I don't think the Bulls will have to decide whether to draft him or not.

Correct. I did not see Duke play even once last year. Except the Kansas game, but Carter was invisible, so I guess we can't count that one.
Also, fwiw, among Duke's rotation, Carter had the second-highest usage rate. Well above Allen's, who actually was 4th among the starters.

Tell me, who put up these per 40 stats in their draft years and then explain why it's important when evaluating potential NBA talent:
Player 1: 23.0/11.3/1.9
Player 2: 23.7/12.0/1.8
Player 3: 20.9/12.9/4.5

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 02:19:26 PM »
For the Bucks, I want someone, anyone who can shoot from range. Based on who's going to be available at their pick, here's who I'm hoping for:

1. Miles Bridges
2. Kevin Huerter
3. Elie Okobo
4. Gary Trent Jr
5. Khyri Thomas
6. Jacob Evans
7. Donte Divencenzo

I don't think Bridges is there when they pick, but Huerter definitely should be. I get the suspicion that they will go with Okobo. PG with a 6'8 wingspan who can shoot? Seems right up their alley.

I've seen too many mock drafts with Mitchell Robinson going to the Bucks. Hoping that's just lazy journalism and not an indication that the Bucks have been eyeing him. Might have to give up my last hope if that ends up being the pick
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 02:24:36 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 02:25:16 PM »
As a Bucks fan, I hope the Bulls draft Young. I think they take Mikal Bridges

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 02:31:31 PM »
For the Bucks, I want someone, anyone who can shoot from range. Based on who's going to be available at their pick, here's who I'm hoping for:

1. Miles Bridges
2. Kevin Huerter
3. Elie Okobo
4. Gary Trent Jr
5. Khyri Thomas
6. Jacob Evans
7. Donte Divencenzo

I don't think Bridges is there when they pick, but Huerter definitely should be. I get the suspicion that they will go with Okobo. PG with a 6'8 wingspan who can shoot? Seems right up their alley.

I've seen too many mock drafts with Mitchell Robinson going to the Bucks. Hoping that's just lazy journalism and not an indication that the Bucks have been eyeing him. Might have to give up my last hope if that ends up being the pick

i've heard this(robinson) as well.  best description they have of robinson since he hasn't had a lot of "show time" is a thon maker type.  if that's the case, how many "thon makers" do they need?
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »
The Charlotte Observer beat writer, Rick Bonnell, does a good job covering the Hornets and I think he's pretty darn knowledgeable. Been there for quite some time, fairly well-connected it seems.

He did his mock draft a couple days ago: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article213124829.html

Among some of his interesting picks:

7. Chicago Bulls: Michael Porter, Missouri, 6-10: The Bulls got first look at Porter’s medical reports, key after back surgery.

17. Milwaukee Bucks: Troy Brown, Oregon, 6-7: Good size for a potential shooting guard; didn’t dominate with Ducks.

18. San Antonio Spurs: Dante DiVincenzo, Villanova, 6-5: Will play some at either guard spot, would fit Spurs’ motion offense.

22. Chicago Bulls: Anfernee Simons (no college), 6-3, A combo guard with some shooting range to spread defenses.

26. Philadelphia 76ers: Omari Spellman, Villanova, 6-9: Adds front-court depth on a rookie-scale contract to a team with established starters.

27. Boston Celtics: Grayson Allen, Duke, 6-4: Allen might fit best in the NBA as a changeup off the bench on a contender.

29. Brooklyn Nets: Jalen Brunson, Villanova, 6-2: Sophisticated understanding of the game, but defense on the ball will be a challenge.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 03:32:09 PM »
Supposedly Bridges didn't do well in his Bulls workout, but that just might be a smoke screen.  I can see Porter

Young is still a 6ft. PG. Worth a lottery pick?  Bulls are unhappy with Dunn's offseason effort but can GarPax admit the blew the Jimmy Butler trade so early by giving up on their PG of the future by drafting Young?  I don't think their egos will allow it, especially if LeVine walks.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Supposedly Bridges didn't do well in his Bulls workout, but that just might be a smoke screen.  I can see Porter

Young is still a 6ft. PG. Worth a lottery pick?  Bulls are unhappy with Dunn's offseason effort but can GarPax admit the blew the Jimmy Butler trade so early by giving up on their PG of the future by drafting Young?  I don't think their egos will allow it, especially if LeVine walks.

Don't know what the heck the Bulls are trying to do with Dunn. It serves nobody's interest to leak that they're unhappy with his offseason. Doesn't help them move him, if that's what they want. Doubtful it's going to motivate him. Perhaps just another case of GarPax being stupid for the sake of being stupid.

I don't think the Bulls have to worry about LaVine walking. He's an RFA, so they can match any offer that comes his way, and given his injury and inconsistency when he returned, I doubt any team is going to back up a Brinks truck for his services.

With the way Markannen performed and his continued upside, I don't think the Bulls would be crying uncle on the trade even if they lose Lavine (or Dunn).

Young measured the same as Collin Sexton at the Combine, and bigger than some really good current players (Kemba Walker, Bledsoe, Paul, etc.) Granted, those guys are thicker, but Young is still a teenager. He will get stronger.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 04:01:10 PM »
So, I don't love Young and there are players I'd rather see the Bulls draft, but I think the way he exploded onto the scene early led to some impossible expectations and really harsh overanalysis as a result. He has some weaknesses, but I think the potential to be a special player is there.
That said, Bamba is my first choice, and assuming he's gone, I'd take Mikal Bridges. Fills a huge need, can help immediately, has the potential to be an elite defender.

Bridges is a nice player but I don't see a whole lot of upside there.  When your goal is to tank and you still end up with the 7th pick you have to take a shot at someone with All-Star upside.  I don't see it with Mikal.  I think he'd be a great fit on a team like the 76ers.  I won't be furious if the Bulls take him as I think he has a decent floor but I'll be disappointed.  I do think you're underselling Carter. 

Dunn still has work to do but he surpassed my admittedly low expectations last year.  Was good defensively and more explosive going to the rim than I expected, although he still needs to finish better.  I'm hoping the talk of him having a poor summer is just a smokescreen.

LaVine's restricted free agency will be interesting.  I just can't see the Bulls letting him walk but he certainly didn't do anything in his time back to instill confidence.  Granted, that was coming off a major injury so there has to be some leeway there but his shot selection and defense sure left a lot to be desired.  I'm really worried they're going to overpay him.  I don't see a team giving him a big offer they'll feel compelled to match. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »
Porter might be this generation's Bowie/Oden, I'd stay far away from him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 09:50:56 PM »
Young measured the same as Collin Sexton at the Combine, and bigger than some really good current players (Kemba Walker, Bledsoe, Paul, etc.) Granted, those guys are thicker, but Young is still a teenager. He will get stronger.

When Walker entered the league, a leaf blower could have knocked him over. It took him several years to become a quality NBA point guard by adding strength and improving his outside shot.

Young has been compared to Curry, too. It seems outlandish today, but 3 years into his career - when he was missing major playing time due to foot problems that some thought might not be resolved and wasn't close to averaging 20 ppg when he did play - there were plenty of cynics who never thought he was going to be a star.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
The thing about LaVine is he can command a max contract. He hasn't earned crap but he has the braintrust by the nads.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 09:58:21 PM »
There is 0.00% chance that I'd give that guy anything close to a max contract. If another team signs him to one, you tell him, "thanks for your service," and let him go.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 10:41:03 PM »
The thing about LaVine is he can command a max contract. He hasn't earned crap but he has the braintrust by the nads.

If they sign him to a max contract the front office should be fired immediately. I don't think he has much leverage. With so many teams with limited cap space let him go out and try to find a big offer. The Bulls should be playing hardball here.

There is 0.00% chance that I'd give that guy anything close to a max contract. If another team signs him to one, you tell him, "thanks for your service," and let him go.

Yep.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 10:41:49 PM »

I don't think the Bulls have to worry about LaVine walking. He's an RFA, so they can match any offer that comes his way, and given his injury and inconsistency when he returned, I doubt any team is going to back up a Brinks truck for his services.

Seems like I've been disagreeing with you a lot today which is weird considering I probably agree with your comments 90% or more of the time.

As evidence to refute your point - Tony Snell, Matthew Dellavedova & John Henson will make between $9.5 and $11 million each this season. Or Jrue Holiday at 5 years / $131,805,000.

I agree that Lavine is not worth a huge contract based on what he has done (and that may have been your point and I'm just nitpicking). He also has no chemistry with Dunn in the back court - they compete harder against each other than the other team.

But this is the NBA - there is no limit to the stupid contracts that are given out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »
Seems like I've been disagreeing with you a lot today which is weird considering I probably agree with your comments 90% or more of the time.

As evidence to refute your point - Tony Snell, Matthew Dellavedova & John Henson will make between $9.5 and $11 million each this season. Or Jrue Holiday at 5 years / $131,805,000.

I agree that Lavine is not worth a huge contract based on what he has done (and that may have been your point and I'm just nitpicking). He also has no chemistry with Dunn in the back court - they compete harder against each other than the other team.

But this is the NBA - there is no limit to the stupid contracts that are given out.

Well, there is a bigly difference between a huge contract or stupid contract - which those of Snell, Dellavedova and Henson are - and a max contract, which is what was being discussed by a few of us.

There certainly is a chance that the Bulls (or some other team) will pay LaVine more than he is "worth."** There is 0.00% chance that anybody will give him a max deal.

(** Of course, one is "worth" whatever one can command on the open market, be it in sports or any other occupation.)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
Well, there is a bigly difference between a huge contract or stupid contract - which those of Snell, Dellavedova and Henson are - and a max contract, which is what was being discussed by a few of us.

There certainly is a chance that the Bulls (or some other team) will pay LaVine more than he is "worth."** There is 0.00% chance that anybody will give him a max deal.

While there is a bigly difference between a huge contract or stupid contract, often contracts are huge and stupid. Moreso in the NBA than any other sports league.

And while he certainly does not deserve anywhere near a max deal, he is an extremely gifted offensive player and there are lots of desperate owners.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »
While there is a bigly difference between a huge contract or stupid contract, often contracts are huge and stupid. Moreso in the NBA than any other sports league.

And while he certainly does not deserve anywhere near a max deal, he is an extremely gifted offensive player and there are lots of desperate owners.

I meant huge deal and stupid deal as the same thing. Didn't phrase it right. Should have read:

Well, there is a bigly difference between a huge/stupid contract - which those of Snell, Dellavedova and Henson are - and a max contract, which is what was being discussed by a few of us.

brand, I agree that there probably are owners who will pay too much for a guy like LaVine. I stand by my statement that there is 0.00% chance he will get a max contract -- which according to the Tribune would be a 5-year, $146 million deal.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-bulls-zach-lavine-contract-20180412-story.html

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
I meant huge deal and stupid deal as the same thing. Didn't phrase it right. Should have read:

Well, there is a bigly difference between a huge/stupid contract - which those of Snell, Dellavedova and Henson are - and a max contract, which is what was being discussed by a few of us.

brand, I agree that there probably are owners who will pay too much for a guy like LaVine. I stand by my statement that there is 0.00% chance he will get a max contract -- which according to the Tribune would be a 5-year, $146 million deal.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-bulls-zach-lavine-contract-20180412-story.html

I'd say there's a 3.3% chance of him getting the max. There are 30 teams and it only takes one of them to be really misguided and desperate enough to offer that up  ;)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »
The Bucks should find out who the Spurs like at 18 and take them at 17.  ;D

I am intrigued by Okobo, the French PG. I like Huerter for his shooting. The rest of the prospects in the Bucks range are meh.

But most importantly, anybody but Mitchell Robinson.  Strikes me as a total flake.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 12:27:17 PM »

I have to say, I don't believe that the Butler trade rests on Dunn.

feedback