[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History  (Read 17296 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

real chili 83

• All American

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: MU Tribune Article on Campus Bar History
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
Is F*ckin' still kickin' it, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »
Lots of former posters in that thread.

Hopefully, reincarnated and not lost to the MU swamp water.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »
The pepperoni would curl up into the shape of a little cup and be full of grease.

I can feel the flesh of roof of my mouth searing with blinding pain as that hot grease scalds it like napalm

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2016, 12:16:08 PM »
Lots of former posters in that thread.

I miss Ammo.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2016, 06:42:24 PM »
Bars were pretty whittled down by the time I showed up in 99. Go to's were Caff's and Murph's with Heg's for a change of pace. Blo's was bad pizza and/or freshmen trolling. I hit the Gloc a couple of times before it closed down in 01 I think.

Murph's was the go to, especially when they stupidly had a $1 pitcher with a game ticket promo....got a bunch of tickets for frosh at the game, bought 20 pitchers and just started giving away beer...kings for a night
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2016, 06:49:47 PM »
That tribute to Greenfield Liquors has stood the test of time.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 06:56:23 PM »
Bars were pretty whittled down by the time I showed up in 99. Go to's were Caff's and Murph's with Heg's for a change of pace. Blo's was bad pizza and/or freshmen trolling. I hit the Gloc a couple of times before it closed down in 01 I think.

Murph's was the go to, especially when they stupidly had a $1 pitcher with a game ticket promo....got a bunch of tickets for frosh at the game, bought 20 pitchers and just started giving away beer...kings for a night

You kids missed all the fun.  :)

Today it seems that students head east more than not.  While both my kids are/were well know at Caf's, they both probably spent nearly as much time on Water or in Cathedral Square.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 07:05:35 PM »
     i'll never forget F.V. grunts-after i watched our warriors lose in the 1st round to miami of ohio. they throw jerome whitehead out of the game in the first half for coming down with a 'bound and protecting his space with elbows.  it was my freshman year and they were returning with a better team(minus al and bo ellis) than the one that won it all.  so much for national champ respect.  i could never go back in there again 
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 07:45:48 PM »
You kids missed all the fun.  :)

Today it seems that students head east more than not.  While both my kids are/were well know at Caf's, they both probably spent nearly as much time on Water or in Cathedral Square.

Buckheads on 3rd was huge with the free beer or $1 mixer parties (RIP). OGBH was the spot on Thursdays for me and my friends. Uglys started to become popular but my favorite area was Brady street. The garage was great and Joe Cats is may favorite dive bar of all time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2016, 10:14:40 PM »
That place is a cesspool of underagers now a days. The Harp and Shame is something else.

Really? The dive bar on Wells between 21st and 22nd is now a haven for the kiddies?

When my friends and I went there our junior and senior years, we usually were (BY FAR) the youngest customers. Aside from us, the average age was just about deceased!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2016, 11:26:14 PM »
Really? The dive bar on Wells between 21st and 22nd is now a haven for the kiddies?

When my friends and I went there our junior and senior years, we usually were (BY FAR) the youngest customers. Aside from us, the average age was just about deceased!

Yup, same place. It got so bad it actually got raided in like November. I think therr were any bar raids in the prior 4 years either.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 05:00:18 AM »

there was a place between 21st-22nd wells called the talk of the town.  not real big with MU students, but that was demolished some time ago.  tomas was on ? 20th and wells?  wasn't the midget bar somewhere around here also?  otherwise, not sure which place you guys are referring to at 21st-22nd
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 07:10:22 AM »

there was a place between 21st-22nd wells called the talk of the town.  not real big with MU students, but that was demolished some time ago.  tomas was on ? 20th and wells?  wasn't the midget bar somewhere around here also?  otherwise, not sure which place you guys are referring to at 21st-22nd

Talk was more cocktail lounge than bar.  Tomas was famous for meeting girls.  Or at least the only girl I ever cared about.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 08:41:31 AM »

Glock must have made it until 03, I made it a few times when I turned 21 that year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 08:43:53 AM »
Yup, same place. It got so bad it actually got raided in like November. I think therr were any bar raids in the prior 4 years either.

Is Conway's still around?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2016, 10:08:23 AM »
There is MUScoop Wiki page.

I noticed Amigo's was missing.  I started by MU career there.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2016, 10:13:05 AM »

Aldo Tase, a 2011 graduate of the College of Engineering, bought Harp and Shamrock in 2105 and wants to make it more Marquette-oriented. The majority of customers are regulars that have been coming in for 20 to 30 years and only a quarter of business came from Marquette.

Tase’s immediate goals for the bar include placing greater focus on its historical richness and marketing it to students. He also wants to update the drink and beer selection, cater and host events for televised sporting events and run special promotions.

http://marquettewire.org/3915847/news/marquette-alumnus-to-revamp-harp-and-shamrock-bar/

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2016, 10:15:29 AM »
Is Conway's still around?

Yes, still going strong. They used to have free pool on Monday or Tuesday night, not sure if they still do.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2016, 10:45:58 AM »
That place is a cesspool of underagers now a days. The Harp and Shame is something else.

That's a change since 2010 then. Was much more the older, local crowd.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »
There is MUScoop Wiki page.

I noticed Amigo's was missing.  I started by MU career there.

Was Amigos the one on the corner of 16th and Wells?  Across Wells from Angelos?

There was also that other pizza place that began with a G.  Gillianos?  Greasy, greasy pizza.  And they never checked IDs.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »

There was also that other pizza place that began with a G.  Gillianos?  Greasy, greasy pizza.  And they never checked IDs.
I think it was Guilliano's.  Although I was usually crosseyed and painless by the time I wandered in there.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2016, 12:00:14 PM »

Amigos was more like 15th I believe.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2016, 12:13:11 PM »
Jesus, did they even have academic buildings back in the day? Or were there just like separate rooms in the bar where class was held?