collapse

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Journal-Sentinel: Vander Blue to appear in court on assault and battery charge  (Read 17041 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Important distinction: this is a municipal citation (similar to a speeding ticket).  The police and/or the DA determined that it did not rise to the level of a criminal charge of assault/battery.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Benny B

• All American
Re: Blue Cited For Assault
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 10:23:04 AM »
oh man. let the "thug U" accusations from UW supporters begin

UW alums - the properly educated sect of the UW fanbase - would never make such a claim.  No UW alum would ever consider letting their daughter date any guy named Booker ever again.

UW wannabes - the dash school & hopeful rejects - won't even understand the aforementioned allusion.  It will be easy to distinguish this sect as they're the ones who will jump on this... much to the chagrin of the legitimate UW crowd.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Details Released on jsonline (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/120207189.html)

Early one morning last October, Marquette University basketball player Vander Blue got into an argument with a man outside a campus restaurant, pushed the man twice, once into a window, and then punched him in the face.

Details of the Oct. 24 incident were released Tuesday by Milwaukee Municipal Court officials. Blue, a freshmen, was cited for assault and battery.

He is scheduled to appear in court later Tuesday. He has pleaded not guilty to the citation.

According to the report, Blue walked into the Qdoba restaurant, 803 N. 16th St., at 1:30 a.m. with teammate Darius Johnson-Odom. Inside the restauant was a group of four people: two men and two women.

The victim told a Milwaukee police officer that Blue approached his booth and began talking, though he said the group did not want the attention. The report states that Blue identified himself, but that the victim said he did not know Blue was a member of the basketball team.

The victim admitted that he made fun of Blue's surname "because he did not believe it was respectful for him to be at the table talking with his friends."

The victim said Blue threw water on him. The victim also told police that Blue told Johnson-Odom he planned to hit him.

The victim said Blue wanted to take the dispute outside. When the two got outside, Blue allegedly pushed the victim twice and then punched him on the right side of the face, cutting him.

The report states Blue and Johnson-Odom then left the restaurant.

A friend of the victim told police the victim had made fun of Blue.

In his statement, Blue told police that the victim used a racial slur, though the other witnesses denied that occurred. Blue also said he inadvertently struck the victim as the victim was trying to push him back.

The report indicates that Milwaukee police were not contacted by Marquette's Public Safety Department until nearly 24 hours after the incident occurred. The citation does not make clear when Public Safety was first made aware of the incident.

The school's Public Safety Department is located around the corner from the restaurant.

Pakuni

• All American
Yawn.
Make fun of a guy's name, take it outside, get punched.
Much ado about nothing.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Yawn.
Make fun of a guy's name, take it outside, get punched.
Much ado about nothing.

Agreed. Two 19/20 year old kids get in a fight at 1:30AM...I'm falling asleep just thinking about it.

TheGym

• Starter
Important distinction: this is a municipal citation (similar to a speeding ticket).  The police and/or the DA determined that it did not rise to the level of a criminal charge of assault/battery.

A DUI is a municipal citation, but it will still get you kicked off a BB team. 

Having said that to me this is on the low end of harm.  Getting in a fight in the middle of Wells street, who at Marquette has not done that?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Are any charges being pressed against the other guy? Why does only the "winner" of the fight get charged? It doesn't sound like VB attacked the guy or anything...just that he hit on his girlfriend.

HouWarrior

• All American
Assault= threat to fight (rearing back with a fist)
Battery= making contact (landing the punch)

Muni courts involve only non jail misdemeanors (you may be jailed, however, for affronts to the court....failing to show up, or to pay fines)
The above detailed review by the "legal expert"  is, otherwise,  great.

I am not a legal expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Every male here has likely been involved in an assault and battery in their lifetime.

Around high school/college age, we are encouraged to move beyond this method--most get there, some dont...so the state holds those adults liable, who dont. Vander is going to college to learn-- lets hope he does, and congratulate him for learning from the lesson.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

HouWarrior

• All American
A DUI is a municipal citation,
No, a DUI is a class B misdemeanor (term we use in Texas), and jurisdiction of that is solely with the county court (a court of record)
Muni courts are not courts of record, and their jurisdiction is for class C misdemeanors, and lower.
In some states, muni courts will accept a plea, and process the fine payments, (as magistrates for the county court),but I am not aware of any state that allows guilt/innocence on a DUI case to be tried by any muni court. Trials are solely for courts of record, such as county/district courts..
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MUEng92

• All American
Take the "basketball player" portion out of the story.  A guy makes fun of someone's name and gets punched for it.  Then reports it to Public Safety.

If that was me, I would want as few people to know about it as possible.  No way I report getting hit by one punch.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
No, a DUI is a class B misdemeanor (term we use in Texas), and jurisdiction of that is solely with the county court (a court of record)
Muni courts are not courts of record, and their jurisdiction is for class C misdemeanors, and lower.
In some states, muni courts will accept a plea, and process the fine payments, (as magistrates for the county court),but I am not aware of any state that allows guilt/innocence on a DUI case to be tried by any muni court. Trials are solely for courts of record, such as county/district courts..

In Wisconsin, your first OWI (assuming there's no injury or accident) is a citation.  Can be handled by a municipal court or a county circuit court.  We're the only state in the Union where a first-offense OWI is not a crime.

Pakuni

• All American

Getting slightly off topic ... but in Illinois, first and second DUIs are misdemeanors heard by county courts, but typically handled by municipal prosecutors (as opposed to county prosecutors).

Coleman

• All American
In Wisconsin, your first OWI (assuming there's no injury or accident) is a citation.  Can be handled by a municipal court or a county circuit court.  We're the only state in the Union where a first-offense OWI is not a crime.

But how does this relate to Scott Walker having balls of steel? ::)

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
Blue Accused of Assault and Battery
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 12:36:33 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/120171494.html

Seems like both sides have a case.  Hopefully nothing major comes of this.

HouWarrior

• All American
Ouch. Seems a little light.

Yet I see Tv commercials on Houston cablecasts on Fox Central(of WIAA champ games)...that WI DMV is advertising for a target of zero alcohol driving deaths..
....wouldnt a ramp up of DUI penalties help?

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle

Yet I see Tv commercials on Houston cablecasts on Fox Central(of WIAA champ games)...that WI DMV is advertising for a target of zero alcohol driving deaths..
They did, last year; e.g., mandatory ignition interlock for a year for certain first offenses (above .15 BAC) and for all second and subsequent offenses.

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
To put this into perspective, here is a case from "way back" in 2006 which is almost identical in every aspect:

Case Number:  06099971

Name:            JAMES, DOMINIC D
Violation:        Ordinance 105-2, Assault and Battery
Violation Date: 09/03/2006 03:40 AM
Location:        934 N 16TH ST               (More commonly known as "party-central" Renee Row "Marquette I")
Plea:              Not Guilty                      (Also Vander Blue's plea)

James' "Initial Appearance" in court (like Blue's on April 18th) was over four months later 01/26/2007 at which he paid his $353.00 deposit. Also with Blue, James was represented by an attorney. The case was eventually "Dismissed without Prejudice".

The penalty? Only the initial $353.00 citation (ticket), paid-in-full at the time of initial appearance.

To further add credence to the claim that Blue's case is simply being hyped by the media (due to the recent events involving Marquette student athletes), I don't recall James' case receiving much (if any) media attention.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:56:12 PM by Lethdorr »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
Of course not D. James didn't commit to uw.

jsglow

• All American
Did Vander exercise poor judgement . . . sure.  Did some stupid kid say something inappropriate to him . . . you bet.  Did Public Safety and MPD handle it about right . . . yup.  Will Vander be 'convicted' of his ticket . . . no, because the evidence won't support it.

And then his team captain told him to fly straight and narrow and that was the end.  Anything more on this is overkill.  Now go work on your jumpshot VB.  See ya next year.  And study hard for finals.

jfmu

• Starter
To put this into perspective, here is a case from "way back" in 2006 which is almost identical in every aspect:

Case Number:  06099971

Name:            JAMES, DOMINIC D
Violation:        Ordinance 105-2, Assault and Battery
Violation Date: 09/03/2006 03:40 AM
Location:        934 N 16TH ST              (More commonly known as "party-central" Renee Row)
Plea:              Not Guilty                      (Also Vander Blue's plea)

James' "Initial Appearance" in court (like Blue's on April 18th) was over four months later 01/26/2007 at which he paid his $353.00 deposit. Also with Blue, James was represented by an attorney. The case was eventually "Dismissed without Prejudice".

The penalty? Only the initial $353.00 citation (ticket), paid-in-full at the time of initial appearance.

To further add credence to the claim that Blue's case is simply being hyped by the media (due to the recent events involving Marquette student athletes), I don't recall James' case receiving much (if any) media attention.

thats actually MU I. D James girlfriend at the time lived there
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:56:42 PM by jfmu »

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
thats actually MU I. D James girlfriend at the time lived there

Whups. You are indeed correct, sir. The address corresponds to the "Marquette I" apartments, not Renee Row.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the victim in this case also the mother of one of his children? Or did that come later?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:55:02 PM by Lethdorr »

Benny B

• All American

Actually, a more realistic way to achieve zero alcohol driving deaths would be to eliminate all penalties for OWI/DUI/DWI and hook up the ignition interlocks to the seat belts instead (i.e. if you're drunk, your car starts but the seat belts won't extend).

Sure, alcohol driving deaths will skyrocket for a few years, but eventually, you'll achieve the goal once the sober drivers are all that are left.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
Actually, a more realistic way to achieve zero alcohol driving deaths would be to eliminate all penalties for OWI/DUI/DWI and hook up the ignition interlocks to the seat belts instead (i.e. if you're drunk, your car starts but the seat belts won't extend).

Sure, alcohol driving deaths will skyrocket for a few years, but eventually, you'll achieve the goal once the sober drivers are all that are left.

Pretty sure no state would ever support something that increases the number of deaths related to drunk-driving

Benny B

• All American
Pretty sure no state would ever support something that increases the number of deaths related to drunk-driving

Pretty sure I wasn't being serious.  However, I bet you could drum up just enough support in Texas for mandatory drunk-driving demolition derbies for inmates on death row to get the ACLU's panties in a bunch.

HouWarrior

• All American
Pretty sure I wasn't being serious.  However, I bet you could drum up just enough support in Texas for mandatory drunk-driving demolition derbies for inmates on death row to get the ACLU's panties in a bunch.
Ron White likes your idea:

Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty... mine's putting in an express lane.
Ron White

People are saying that I'm an alcoholic, and that's not true, because I only drink when I work, and I'm a workaholic. The next time you have a thought... let it go.

Ron White

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/ron_white.html#ixzz1K5XMtCDK
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:15:47 PM by houwarrior »

feedback