collapse

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Journal-Sentinel: Vander Blue to appear in court on assault and battery charge  (Read 17040 times)

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
Per the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:
Marquette's Blue appearing in court on assault and battery charge
Freshman guard cited over October incident

Here's the link to the article on jsonline.com:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/120171494.html.

What's important to note here is:

1.) We don't know all the facts.
2.) With the recent publicity and vicious rumor-storm surrounding other recent incidents (which may not even involve the team), this obviously will get more air-time than it would have normally.
3.) We don't know all the facts. I happen to like the guy, and hope this works out for the best for all involved.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:10:47 AM by Lethdorr »

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
Blue Cited For Assault
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »
Uh... ?-(

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/120171494.html

A hearing will be held Tuesday in Milwaukee Municipal Court for Vander Blue, a freshman guard for the Marquette University men's basketball team who was cited last October on a charge of assault and battery.

According to online court information, Blue was cited at 1:30 a.m. on Oct. 24 in the 1600 block of W. Wells St., on the Marquette University campus. No other details were immediately available.

Blue, who was a prep star at Madison Memorial, has entered a plea of not guilty.

Blue averaged 5.1 points and 2.8 rebounds per game for the Golden Eagles. He played an average of 19 minutes per game as a freshman.

Brigid O'Brien Miller, a Marquette spokeswoman, said the university was made aware of the incident at the time. She said the case was heard within the student conduct code process, but under federal privacy rules governing students, Miller said she could not disclose the outcome of the student review.

The disclosure of Blue's case comes in the wake of two other incidents involving Marquette student athletes.

In the most recent incident, the Milwaukee County district attorney's office is reviewing a case involving a student athlete accused of sexually assaulting a woman.

The alleged assault occurred on Sunday, Feb. 27, between midnight and 1 a.m.

In that case, the victim did not file a report with the school's Public Safety Department until March 31. The case also is being reviewed under the student conduct code.

In another case last October, a prosecutor is reviewing an alleged sexual assault by four student athletes at a party on campus but returned it to Milwaukee police for further investigation.

That case was not brought to the attention of Milwaukee police until March 22. The school's Public Safety Department had said the alleged victim declined to take the case to Milwaukee police.

A university official said a school-sponsored investigation of the October sexual-assault allegation was conducted. That probe determined a finding of no responsibility for sexual assault on the part of the students involved under the student conduct code.
The General has taken on a new command.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Re: Blue Cited For Assault
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
Reminds me of D-James. He got into a few scrapes. mostly dudes talking crap to him after 1am and he would have none of it.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »
Wonder if this affected Blue's mind frame this season?

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:03:30 PM »
oh man. let the "thug U" accusations from UW supporters begin

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »
Previously discussed 2+ weeks ago. Looks like the kid got into a fight:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26559.msg298661#msg298661

As for Bucky, I'm not sure I care so much about the opinions of fans of an athletic department that's given us the likes of Boo Wade and Marcettaeus McGee, not to mention some of the fine citizens who have passed through the football program over the years. If they wish to toss stones from their glass house, so be it.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:47:16 PM by Pakuni »

cheebs09

• All American
I'm surprised this is even news. He likely has a court date (surprised it has taken a few months, thought most of this kind of stuff was done within a month or two) and will hopefully get the charges reduced just for showing up or something like that.

I'm sure there are dozens of students who could get a similar citation on any given Friday night. Unfortunately the basketball team has a big target on their backs. They have to be smarter and know people are going to look for them to make a mistake. There are a decent amount of students who don't like the basketball team for whatever reason and I wouldn't be shocked if in situations like this the members of the basketball team are not the ones doing the provoking.

MUfan12

• All American
Have known about this for awhile. Figured it would go away like Dominic's did.

oh man. let the "thug U" accusations from UW supporters begin

Eff them. There's no high road for that athletic department.

Coleman

• All American
Still never good to see, but this worries me much much less than the other two pending cases, even if he's found guilty.

A fight is one thing. Sexual assault (or worse) is quite another.

Of course, if the same person was involved in both, that's a whole different matter altogether.

Let's hope this case is the worst the university is dealing with this summer. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Is this how another scholarship can be freed up?  :-\
SS Marquette

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
Here's the good news (oh, and there's no bad news):  :D

1.) He is in Milwaukee Municipal Court...
2.) Municipal Courts deal with "Municipal Citations" - typically violations of the Municipal Code of Ordinances...
3.) "Municipal Citations" are not a violation of State (or federal) Statutes. These two types of "crimes" are the type punishable by time in jail/prison/probation/etc (unless you don't pay your fine)...thus....
4.) The worst-case scenario is a payment of a municipal fine.

According to the Milwaukee Municipal Court's Public Case Information System, the specific section of Municipal Code violated is:

Ordinance 105-2, Assault and Battery.

And taken directly from Milwaukee's Municipal Code:

105-2. Assault and Battery. Any person who shall commit an assault and battery upon another shall be punished by a fine of not more than $500, and for offenses occurring between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. and upon a street designated as a cruising area under s. 101-20.5, including the land within the street lines whether or not improved by a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $500, and in default of payment thereof by imprisonment in the house of correction of Milwaukee county not less than 10 days nor more than 20 days.

Since he paid his deposit at his initial appearance today ($366.00), he cannot be "in default". Thus, the possibility of jail-time is for Mr. Blue is exactly 0.00%.

Municipal Code Violations do NOT show up on a criminal record. They are literally....a ticket. Even though this particular violation is Assault and Battery...it's still just a ticket.

And most importantly....the 2010-11 NCAA Division I Manual does not punish for Municipal Citations.

So while the Journal-Sentinel may have gotten some attention with their headline due to recent events, the only other way this would've even been noticed is in local newspaper of Nowhere, SD (Population = 12). It would have read, "Man gets ticket - Pays Fine. Goes Home."

A colleague summed up this non-newsworthy event quite succinctly: "Move along people, nothing to see here...."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:10:17 AM by Lethdorr »

Japabound

• Walk-On
Great here it comes!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 05:53:54 AM »

Maybe this is one reason why his playing dropped off during the season.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Great here it comes!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 05:54:50 AM »
merge
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »
Previously discussed 2+ weeks ago. Looks like the kid got into a fight:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26559.msg298661#msg298661

+1

This is not new, their are pages about it on the superbar.

Also, it has been on the Milwaukee Court System website for months.

http://query.municourt.milwaukee.gov/
Case Number: 10129943

I first learned of it before Christmas.

About three or four times in recent weeks this pops up as a thread here and the mods take it down, including my thread on this last night.  I don't understand why, it's not a rumor, it part of the part record for about six month now.

4everwarriors

• All American
I'm sure once the judge hears that he missed connecting with the punch, the case will be dismissed. Afterall, if Blue fights like he shoots, then he never touched the other dude.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 06:51:59 AM »
Don't jump 2 conclusions, let's get the full details b4 throwing the guy under the bus.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
Municipal Code Violations do NOT show up on a criminal record. They are literally....a ticket. Even though this particular violation is Assault and Battery...it's still just a ticket.

Wait, so assault and battery do not even amount to a misdemeanor?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Wait, so assault and battery do not even amount to a misdemeanor?

This is municipal, misdemeanor and felony assault and battery as far as I know.  Blue got a ticket for the lowest one. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 07:52:09 AM »

Maybe this is one reason why his playing dropped off during the season.

Why because he got in a fight? Besides it happened in October.

reinko

• All American
You are guys are reading it wrong.  It was assault with a battery.  VB was attending a Phillies game at the time.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
A college student got into a fight? You have to be kidding me!

GGGG

• All American
It basically means he got in a fight and no one was seriously injured.  Honestly it's not like he broke into a dorm room and stole stuff or microwaved a parrot.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
This is municipal, misdemeanor and felony assault and battery as far as I know.  Blue got a ticket for the lowest one. 

Ahh. Thanks for the clarification.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »
Not the same incident. This happened in February, no one has been charged for the I
October incident. WSSP made the same mistake this morning.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 09:09:19 AM »
About three or four times in recent weeks this pops up as a thread here and the mods take it down, including my thread on this last night.  I don't understand why, it's not a rumor, it part of the part record for about six month now.

Ahem...please just look at your post history.  As far as I know everything has just been merged (which may look like it's been taken down, but usually it hasn't).  And this has been posted multiple times.

Geeze.