collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Journal-Sentinel: Vander Blue to appear in court on assault and battery charge  (Read 17006 times)

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
Per the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:
Marquette's Blue appearing in court on assault and battery charge
Freshman guard cited over October incident

Here's the link to the article on jsonline.com:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/120171494.html.

What's important to note here is:

1.) We don't know all the facts.
2.) With the recent publicity and vicious rumor-storm surrounding other recent incidents (which may not even involve the team), this obviously will get more air-time than it would have normally.
3.) We don't know all the facts. I happen to like the guy, and hope this works out for the best for all involved.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:10:47 AM by Lethdorr »

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
Blue Cited For Assault
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »
Uh... ?-(

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/120171494.html

A hearing will be held Tuesday in Milwaukee Municipal Court for Vander Blue, a freshman guard for the Marquette University men's basketball team who was cited last October on a charge of assault and battery.

According to online court information, Blue was cited at 1:30 a.m. on Oct. 24 in the 1600 block of W. Wells St., on the Marquette University campus. No other details were immediately available.

Blue, who was a prep star at Madison Memorial, has entered a plea of not guilty.

Blue averaged 5.1 points and 2.8 rebounds per game for the Golden Eagles. He played an average of 19 minutes per game as a freshman.

Brigid O'Brien Miller, a Marquette spokeswoman, said the university was made aware of the incident at the time. She said the case was heard within the student conduct code process, but under federal privacy rules governing students, Miller said she could not disclose the outcome of the student review.

The disclosure of Blue's case comes in the wake of two other incidents involving Marquette student athletes.

In the most recent incident, the Milwaukee County district attorney's office is reviewing a case involving a student athlete accused of sexually assaulting a woman.

The alleged assault occurred on Sunday, Feb. 27, between midnight and 1 a.m.

In that case, the victim did not file a report with the school's Public Safety Department until March 31. The case also is being reviewed under the student conduct code.

In another case last October, a prosecutor is reviewing an alleged sexual assault by four student athletes at a party on campus but returned it to Milwaukee police for further investigation.

That case was not brought to the attention of Milwaukee police until March 22. The school's Public Safety Department had said the alleged victim declined to take the case to Milwaukee police.

A university official said a school-sponsored investigation of the October sexual-assault allegation was conducted. That probe determined a finding of no responsibility for sexual assault on the part of the students involved under the student conduct code.
The General has taken on a new command.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Re: Blue Cited For Assault
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
Reminds me of D-James. He got into a few scrapes. mostly dudes talking crap to him after 1am and he would have none of it.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »
Wonder if this affected Blue's mind frame this season?

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:03:30 PM »
oh man. let the "thug U" accusations from UW supporters begin

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »
Previously discussed 2+ weeks ago. Looks like the kid got into a fight:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26559.msg298661#msg298661

As for Bucky, I'm not sure I care so much about the opinions of fans of an athletic department that's given us the likes of Boo Wade and Marcettaeus McGee, not to mention some of the fine citizens who have passed through the football program over the years. If they wish to toss stones from their glass house, so be it.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:47:16 PM by Pakuni »

cheebs09

• All American
I'm surprised this is even news. He likely has a court date (surprised it has taken a few months, thought most of this kind of stuff was done within a month or two) and will hopefully get the charges reduced just for showing up or something like that.

I'm sure there are dozens of students who could get a similar citation on any given Friday night. Unfortunately the basketball team has a big target on their backs. They have to be smarter and know people are going to look for them to make a mistake. There are a decent amount of students who don't like the basketball team for whatever reason and I wouldn't be shocked if in situations like this the members of the basketball team are not the ones doing the provoking.

MUfan12

• All American
Have known about this for awhile. Figured it would go away like Dominic's did.

Eff them. There's no high road for that athletic department.

Coleman

• All American
Still never good to see, but this worries me much much less than the other two pending cases, even if he's found guilty.

A fight is one thing. Sexual assault (or worse) is quite another.

Of course, if the same person was involved in both, that's a whole different matter altogether.

Let's hope this case is the worst the university is dealing with this summer. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Is this how another scholarship can be freed up?  :-\
SS Marquette

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
Here's the good news (oh, and there's no bad news):  :D

1.) He is in Milwaukee Municipal Court...
2.) Municipal Courts deal with "Municipal Citations" - typically violations of the Municipal Code of Ordinances...
3.) "Municipal Citations" are not a violation of State (or federal) Statutes. These two types of "crimes" are the type punishable by time in jail/prison/probation/etc (unless you don't pay your fine)...thus....
4.) The worst-case scenario is a payment of a municipal fine.

According to the Milwaukee Municipal Court's Public Case Information System, the specific section of Municipal Code violated is:

Ordinance 105-2, Assault and Battery.

And taken directly from Milwaukee's Municipal Code:

105-2. Assault and Battery. Any person who shall commit an assault and battery upon another shall be punished by a fine of not more than $500, and for offenses occurring between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. and upon a street designated as a cruising area under s. 101-20.5, including the land within the street lines whether or not improved by a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $500, and in default of payment thereof by imprisonment in the house of correction of Milwaukee county not less than 10 days nor more than 20 days.

Since he paid his deposit at his initial appearance today ($366.00), he cannot be "in default". Thus, the possibility of jail-time is for Mr. Blue is exactly 0.00%.

Municipal Code Violations do NOT show up on a criminal record. They are literally....a ticket. Even though this particular violation is Assault and Battery...it's still just a ticket.

And most importantly....the 2010-11 NCAA Division I Manual does not punish for Municipal Citations.

So while the Journal-Sentinel may have gotten some attention with their headline due to recent events, the only other way this would've even been noticed is in local newspaper of Nowhere, SD (Population = 12). It would have read, "Man gets ticket - Pays Fine. Goes Home."

A colleague summed up this non-newsworthy event quite succinctly: "Move along people, nothing to see here...."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:10:17 AM by Lethdorr »

Japabound

• Walk-On
Great here it comes!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 05:53:54 AM »

Maybe this is one reason why his playing dropped off during the season.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Great here it comes!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 05:54:50 AM »
merge
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »
Previously discussed 2+ weeks ago. Looks like the kid got into a fight:

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26559.msg298661#msg298661

+1

This is not new, their are pages about it on the superbar.

Also, it has been on the Milwaukee Court System website for months.

http://query.municourt.milwaukee.gov/
Case Number: 10129943

I first learned of it before Christmas.

About three or four times in recent weeks this pops up as a thread here and the mods take it down, including my thread on this last night.  I don't understand why, it's not a rumor, it part of the part record for about six month now.

4everwarriors

• All American
I'm sure once the judge hears that he missed connecting with the punch, the case will be dismissed. Afterall, if Blue fights like he shoots, then he never touched the other dude.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 06:51:59 AM »
Don't jump 2 conclusions, let's get the full details b4 throwing the guy under the bus.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
Municipal Code Violations do NOT show up on a criminal record. They are literally....a ticket. Even though this particular violation is Assault and Battery...it's still just a ticket.

Wait, so assault and battery do not even amount to a misdemeanor?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Wait, so assault and battery do not even amount to a misdemeanor?

This is municipal, misdemeanor and felony assault and battery as far as I know.  Blue got a ticket for the lowest one. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 07:52:09 AM »

Maybe this is one reason why his playing dropped off during the season.

Why because he got in a fight? Besides it happened in October.

reinko

• All American
You are guys are reading it wrong.  It was assault with a battery.  VB was attending a Phillies game at the time.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
A college student got into a fight? You have to be kidding me!

GGGG

• All American
It basically means he got in a fight and no one was seriously injured.  Honestly it's not like he broke into a dorm room and stole stuff or microwaved a parrot.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
This is municipal, misdemeanor and felony assault and battery as far as I know.  Blue got a ticket for the lowest one. 

Ahh. Thanks for the clarification.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »
Not the same incident. This happened in February, no one has been charged for the I
October incident. WSSP made the same mistake this morning.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 09:09:19 AM »
About three or four times in recent weeks this pops up as a thread here and the mods take it down, including my thread on this last night.  I don't understand why, it's not a rumor, it part of the part record for about six month now.

Ahem...please just look at your post history.  As far as I know everything has just been merged (which may look like it's been taken down, but usually it hasn't).  And this has been posted multiple times.

Geeze.

Warrior of Law

• All American
Important distinction: this is a municipal citation (similar to a speeding ticket).  The police and/or the DA determined that it did not rise to the level of a criminal charge of assault/battery.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 10:23:04 AM »

UW alums - the properly educated sect of the UW fanbase - would never make such a claim.  No UW alum would ever consider letting their daughter date any guy named Booker ever again.

UW wannabes - the dash school & hopeful rejects - won't even understand the aforementioned allusion.  It will be easy to distinguish this sect as they're the ones who will jump on this... much to the chagrin of the legitimate UW crowd.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Details Released on jsonline (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/120207189.html)

Early one morning last October, Marquette University basketball player Vander Blue got into an argument with a man outside a campus restaurant, pushed the man twice, once into a window, and then punched him in the face.

Details of the Oct. 24 incident were released Tuesday by Milwaukee Municipal Court officials. Blue, a freshmen, was cited for assault and battery.

He is scheduled to appear in court later Tuesday. He has pleaded not guilty to the citation.

According to the report, Blue walked into the Qdoba restaurant, 803 N. 16th St., at 1:30 a.m. with teammate Darius Johnson-Odom. Inside the restauant was a group of four people: two men and two women.

The victim told a Milwaukee police officer that Blue approached his booth and began talking, though he said the group did not want the attention. The report states that Blue identified himself, but that the victim said he did not know Blue was a member of the basketball team.

The victim admitted that he made fun of Blue's surname "because he did not believe it was respectful for him to be at the table talking with his friends."

The victim said Blue threw water on him. The victim also told police that Blue told Johnson-Odom he planned to hit him.

The victim said Blue wanted to take the dispute outside. When the two got outside, Blue allegedly pushed the victim twice and then punched him on the right side of the face, cutting him.

The report states Blue and Johnson-Odom then left the restaurant.

A friend of the victim told police the victim had made fun of Blue.

In his statement, Blue told police that the victim used a racial slur, though the other witnesses denied that occurred. Blue also said he inadvertently struck the victim as the victim was trying to push him back.

The report indicates that Milwaukee police were not contacted by Marquette's Public Safety Department until nearly 24 hours after the incident occurred. The citation does not make clear when Public Safety was first made aware of the incident.

The school's Public Safety Department is located around the corner from the restaurant.

Pakuni

• All American
Yawn.
Make fun of a guy's name, take it outside, get punched.
Much ado about nothing.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Yawn.
Make fun of a guy's name, take it outside, get punched.
Much ado about nothing.

Agreed. Two 19/20 year old kids get in a fight at 1:30AM...I'm falling asleep just thinking about it.

TheGym

• Starter
Important distinction: this is a municipal citation (similar to a speeding ticket).  The police and/or the DA determined that it did not rise to the level of a criminal charge of assault/battery.

A DUI is a municipal citation, but it will still get you kicked off a BB team. 

Having said that to me this is on the low end of harm.  Getting in a fight in the middle of Wells street, who at Marquette has not done that?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Are any charges being pressed against the other guy? Why does only the "winner" of the fight get charged? It doesn't sound like VB attacked the guy or anything...just that he hit on his girlfriend.

HouWarrior

• All American
Assault= threat to fight (rearing back with a fist)
Battery= making contact (landing the punch)

Muni courts involve only non jail misdemeanors (you may be jailed, however, for affronts to the court....failing to show up, or to pay fines)
The above detailed review by the "legal expert"  is, otherwise,  great.

I am not a legal expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Every male here has likely been involved in an assault and battery in their lifetime.

Around high school/college age, we are encouraged to move beyond this method--most get there, some dont...so the state holds those adults liable, who dont. Vander is going to college to learn-- lets hope he does, and congratulate him for learning from the lesson.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

HouWarrior

• All American
A DUI is a municipal citation,
No, a DUI is a class B misdemeanor (term we use in Texas), and jurisdiction of that is solely with the county court (a court of record)
Muni courts are not courts of record, and their jurisdiction is for class C misdemeanors, and lower.
In some states, muni courts will accept a plea, and process the fine payments, (as magistrates for the county court),but I am not aware of any state that allows guilt/innocence on a DUI case to be tried by any muni court. Trials are solely for courts of record, such as county/district courts..
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MUEng92

• All American
Take the "basketball player" portion out of the story.  A guy makes fun of someone's name and gets punched for it.  Then reports it to Public Safety.

If that was me, I would want as few people to know about it as possible.  No way I report getting hit by one punch.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
No, a DUI is a class B misdemeanor (term we use in Texas), and jurisdiction of that is solely with the county court (a court of record)
Muni courts are not courts of record, and their jurisdiction is for class C misdemeanors, and lower.
In some states, muni courts will accept a plea, and process the fine payments, (as magistrates for the county court),but I am not aware of any state that allows guilt/innocence on a DUI case to be tried by any muni court. Trials are solely for courts of record, such as county/district courts..

In Wisconsin, your first OWI (assuming there's no injury or accident) is a citation.  Can be handled by a municipal court or a county circuit court.  We're the only state in the Union where a first-offense OWI is not a crime.

Pakuni

• All American

Getting slightly off topic ... but in Illinois, first and second DUIs are misdemeanors heard by county courts, but typically handled by municipal prosecutors (as opposed to county prosecutors).

Coleman

• All American
In Wisconsin, your first OWI (assuming there's no injury or accident) is a citation.  Can be handled by a municipal court or a county circuit court.  We're the only state in the Union where a first-offense OWI is not a crime.

But how does this relate to Scott Walker having balls of steel? ::)

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
Blue Accused of Assault and Battery
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 12:36:33 PM »

Seems like both sides have a case.  Hopefully nothing major comes of this.

HouWarrior

• All American
Ouch. Seems a little light.

Yet I see Tv commercials on Houston cablecasts on Fox Central(of WIAA champ games)...that WI DMV is advertising for a target of zero alcohol driving deaths..
....wouldnt a ramp up of DUI penalties help?

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle

Yet I see Tv commercials on Houston cablecasts on Fox Central(of WIAA champ games)...that WI DMV is advertising for a target of zero alcohol driving deaths..
They did, last year; e.g., mandatory ignition interlock for a year for certain first offenses (above .15 BAC) and for all second and subsequent offenses.

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
To put this into perspective, here is a case from "way back" in 2006 which is almost identical in every aspect:

Case Number:  06099971

Name:            JAMES, DOMINIC D
Violation:        Ordinance 105-2, Assault and Battery
Violation Date: 09/03/2006 03:40 AM
Location:        934 N 16TH ST               (More commonly known as "party-central" Renee Row "Marquette I")
Plea:              Not Guilty                      (Also Vander Blue's plea)

James' "Initial Appearance" in court (like Blue's on April 18th) was over four months later 01/26/2007 at which he paid his $353.00 deposit. Also with Blue, James was represented by an attorney. The case was eventually "Dismissed without Prejudice".

The penalty? Only the initial $353.00 citation (ticket), paid-in-full at the time of initial appearance.

To further add credence to the claim that Blue's case is simply being hyped by the media (due to the recent events involving Marquette student athletes), I don't recall James' case receiving much (if any) media attention.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:56:12 PM by Lethdorr »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
Of course not D. James didn't commit to uw.

jsglow

• All American
Did Vander exercise poor judgement . . . sure.  Did some stupid kid say something inappropriate to him . . . you bet.  Did Public Safety and MPD handle it about right . . . yup.  Will Vander be 'convicted' of his ticket . . . no, because the evidence won't support it.

And then his team captain told him to fly straight and narrow and that was the end.  Anything more on this is overkill.  Now go work on your jumpshot VB.  See ya next year.  And study hard for finals.

jfmu

• Starter
To put this into perspective, here is a case from "way back" in 2006 which is almost identical in every aspect:

Case Number:  06099971

Name:            JAMES, DOMINIC D
Violation:        Ordinance 105-2, Assault and Battery
Violation Date: 09/03/2006 03:40 AM
Location:        934 N 16TH ST              (More commonly known as "party-central" Renee Row)
Plea:              Not Guilty                      (Also Vander Blue's plea)

James' "Initial Appearance" in court (like Blue's on April 18th) was over four months later 01/26/2007 at which he paid his $353.00 deposit. Also with Blue, James was represented by an attorney. The case was eventually "Dismissed without Prejudice".

The penalty? Only the initial $353.00 citation (ticket), paid-in-full at the time of initial appearance.

To further add credence to the claim that Blue's case is simply being hyped by the media (due to the recent events involving Marquette student athletes), I don't recall James' case receiving much (if any) media attention.

thats actually MU I. D James girlfriend at the time lived there
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:56:42 PM by jfmu »

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
thats actually MU I. D James girlfriend at the time lived there

Whups. You are indeed correct, sir. The address corresponds to the "Marquette I" apartments, not Renee Row.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the victim in this case also the mother of one of his children? Or did that come later?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:55:02 PM by Lethdorr »

Benny B

• All American

Actually, a more realistic way to achieve zero alcohol driving deaths would be to eliminate all penalties for OWI/DUI/DWI and hook up the ignition interlocks to the seat belts instead (i.e. if you're drunk, your car starts but the seat belts won't extend).

Sure, alcohol driving deaths will skyrocket for a few years, but eventually, you'll achieve the goal once the sober drivers are all that are left.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
Actually, a more realistic way to achieve zero alcohol driving deaths would be to eliminate all penalties for OWI/DUI/DWI and hook up the ignition interlocks to the seat belts instead (i.e. if you're drunk, your car starts but the seat belts won't extend).

Sure, alcohol driving deaths will skyrocket for a few years, but eventually, you'll achieve the goal once the sober drivers are all that are left.

Pretty sure no state would ever support something that increases the number of deaths related to drunk-driving

Benny B

• All American
Pretty sure no state would ever support something that increases the number of deaths related to drunk-driving

Pretty sure I wasn't being serious.  However, I bet you could drum up just enough support in Texas for mandatory drunk-driving demolition derbies for inmates on death row to get the ACLU's panties in a bunch.

HouWarrior

• All American
Pretty sure I wasn't being serious.  However, I bet you could drum up just enough support in Texas for mandatory drunk-driving demolition derbies for inmates on death row to get the ACLU's panties in a bunch.
Ron White likes your idea:

Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty... mine's putting in an express lane.
Ron White

People are saying that I'm an alcoholic, and that's not true, because I only drink when I work, and I'm a workaholic. The next time you have a thought... let it go.

Ron White

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/ron_white.html#ixzz1K5XMtCDK
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:15:47 PM by houwarrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I'm all for the express lane, especially for those where there is zero doubt in guilt.  Like the woman who tazed the pregnant woman in Kentucky last week, slit her throat and wrists and cut out the baby from her womb so she could have it.

I'd have her on the express lane so fast it would make your head spin.  Other folks want to give here 3 squares and a cot along with a lifetime of rehabilitation.  Sorry, no dice in my opinion.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
That Old Testament "Eye for an Eye," eh?  Why in heck did that hippie from Nazareth have to make the scene with that "Peace and Love" crap, anyway?  What's all that "love thy neighbor," "judge not, lest ye be judged" yadda, yadda, yadda.  Puh-leeze.

Happy Easter, anyway!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Lennys Tap

• All American
I'm all for the express lane, especially for those where there is zero doubt in guilt.  Like the woman who tazed the pregnant woman in Kentucky last week, slit her throat and wrists and cut out the baby from her womb so she could have it.

I'd have her on the express lane so fast it would make your head spin.  Other folks want to give here 3 squares and a cot along with a lifetime of rehabilitation.  Sorry, no dice in my opinion.

I think everyone's first reaction to a story like this is the same as yours. The problem is human beings are the ones to determine what zero doubt means. Innocent people about whom police, prosecutors and juries have had zero (or virtually zero) doubt have been convicted and even executed for forever. That gives me pause.

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
I think everyone's first reaction to a story like this is the same as yours. The problem is human beings are the ones to determine what zero doubt means. Innocent people about whom police, prosecutors and juries have had zero (or virtually zero) doubt have been convicted and even executed for forever. That gives me pause.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is often thought to mean "Zero Doubt". However, if the burden of proof to convict was set at a level of "0% - absolutely no doubt whatsoever, he did it", we would see felony convictions plummet to the single digit-level nationwide.

"Reasonable" means just that, "Is there a logically sound reason that this guy really didn't do it?".

"Zero doubt" would be, "Well, there IS a 0.00000000000000000...infinity-1% chance this guy actually put on a dress and robbed bank yelling 'What is the frequency?? Baba Booey, Howard Stern!' because the 'Angel Moroni' told him to. God DID tell Jesus to go bat-guano crazy on those money-changers who were 'defiling' his temple....who knows...maybe God just had a bad day!"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:43:22 PM by Lethdorr »

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
A new, non-broken mouse = less effort to click, which = learning curve. Edited to remove the resulting Double-post.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:46:11 PM by Lethdorr »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
A new, non-broken mouse = less effort to click, which = learning curve. Edited to remove the resulting Double-post.

I have a reasonable doubt that your new mouse led to double posting.  I suspect you're just impatient and decided to click "post" a second time when the new page didn't appear as quickly as you would have liked.  ;)

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
I have a reasonable doubt that your new mouse led to double posting.  I suspect you're just impatient and decided to click "post" a second time when the new page didn't appear as quickly as you would have liked.  ;)

I must thank you sir, for your unintentional (yet welcomed) reminder of one of the great mentors in my life - someone who made such an impact on me that - without whom - I can unequivocally state I would not have been able to achieve the blessings that fill my life, today.

Truly one of the last of the giants to roam the halls of Sensenbrenner, the late, great man we were proud to call "Uncle Bob" once said, "When you know you've got them - and they know it, too - no two words are more satisfying to hear than: mea cullpa."

Well played, sir.

In honor of Dean Boden, mea cullpa.   :D

Lennys Tap

• All American
"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is often thought to mean "Zero Doubt". However, if the burden of proof to convict was set at a level of "0% - absolutely no doubt whatsoever, he did it", we would see felony convictions plummet to the single digit-level nationwide.

"Reasonable" means just that, "Is there a logically sound reason that this guy really didn't do it?".

"Zero doubt" would be, "Well, there IS a 0.00000000000000000...infinity-1% chance this guy actually put on a dress and robbed bank yelling 'What is the frequency?? Baba Booey, Howard Stern!' because the 'Angel Moroni' told him to. God DID tell Jesus to go bat-guano crazy on those money-changers who were 'defiling' his temple....who knows...maybe God just had a bad day!"

I understand and agree with you on the distinction between zero doubt and reasonable doubt. It's why I included (virtually zero doubt) which for me would be what constitutes beyond a reasonable doubt. A legal definition of reasonable doubt may exist, but individuals will still inevitably apply it differently. I think most people would agree that before the state executes someone there ought to be as close to zero doubt as is humanly possible about the person's guilt. In spite of this the state sometimes gets the wrong guy. For me that stops the discussion of capital punishment befre it really starts.

HouWarrior

• All American
Wow--a thread on a class C Muni court non jailable offenses progresses to capital punishment....this must be the slippery slope facing Vander if he fails to mend his ways. lol

Lethdorr

• Walk-On
Wow--a thread on a class C Muni court non jailable offenses progresses to capital punishment....this must be the slippery slope facing Vander if he fails to mend his ways. lol

Aw crap, we've got murderers on our team now? When I heard about this Muni Citation, I just knew we were on the road to becoming the next Baylor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_basketball_scandal).

I'd only start to worry, though, if Vander was represented by a criminal defense attorney who's tried a capital murd--

Aw crap.

Well, at least we know if he does go down that slippery slope, he'd be well-represented  ;D

Seriously though, I put a great deal of this hype on the Journal-Sentinel. Sure it was public record, but it had BEEN just as public since the initial citation was issued. So the kid pleads not guilty to a ticket...to us? We think: "big whup." JS's thought process? "Holy crap! We've got to break this huge story before that b* Kathy Mykleby scoops us AGAIN! Quick! To the Bat Cave!"

Since WISN has Broadcast & Electronic Communication interns from Marquette, recently, they've scooped the Journal-Sentinel/TMJ-4 (and even the Marquette Tribune) on every Marquette "scandal" that's come out this year.

This was the JS's chance to break the story of "the next Marquette scandal" first. Bravo...  :-\

Coleman

• All American
Aw crap, we've got murderers on our team now? When I heard about this Muni Citation, I just knew we were on the road to becoming the next Baylor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_basketball_scandal).

I'd only start to worry, though, if Vander was represented by a criminal defense attorney who's tried a capital murd--

Aw crap.

Well, at least we know if he does go down that slippery slope, he'd be well-represented  ;D

Seriously though, I put a great deal of this hype on the Journal-Sentinel. Sure it was public record, but it had BEEN just as public since the initial citation was issued. So the kid pleads not guilty to a ticket...to us? We think: "big whup." JS's thought process? "Holy crap! We've got to break this huge story before that b* Kathy Mykleby scoops us AGAIN! Quick! To the Bat Cave!"

Since WISN has Broadcast & Electronic Communication interns from Marquette, recently, they've scooped the Journal-Sentinel/TMJ-4 (and even the Marquette Tribune) on every Marquette "scandal" that's come out this year.

This was the JS's chance to break the story of "the next Marquette scandal" first. Bravo...  :-\
Is blue the new teal?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Is blue the new teal?

blue means I'm super serious.

feedback