[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: TC's recruiting  (Read 17311 times)

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
TC's recruiting
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
-You will also notice that Tom "wait until next year" Crean might have locked up another 5 star in 2012.  At this point, good luck to him I guess

Wow, I'm one of the few who liked Crean and Buzz for different reasons, but couldn't Crean have gotten MU any more five stars or a good big man when he can pull in these three 5-stars this year and next?
#20   Cody Zeller   F   6'11"
#10   Hanner Perea   F   6'8"
#17   Kevin Ferrell   G   5'11"

I know there are more 5-stars in Indiana than Wisconsin but wow.

Certainly not to ignore that discovering D. Wade is a much better get than any 5-star, but I am concerned that we have only been able to grab one out of 205 five-stars available since we joined the Big East.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
TC's recruiting
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
BTW, I'm dumb on recruiting.  Are some of these 5-stars really still uncommitted?

#1   Andre Drummond   C   6'9"   Oakdale
#3   Shabazz Muhammad   G   6'5"   Las Vegas
#5   Kyle Anderson   G   6'8"   Jersey City
#6   Brandon Ashley   F   6'8"   Oakland
#7   Ricardo Ledo   G   6'5"   Fitchburg
#8   DaJuan Coleman   C   6'8"   Dewitt
#9   Jarnell Stokes   F   6'7"   Memphis
#13   Kaleb Tarczewski   C   7'0"   Southborough
#15   Wanaah Bail   F   6'8"   Rosenberg
#18   Archie Goodwin   G   6'4"   Little Rock
#19   Perry Ellis   F   6'8"   Wichita
#20   Shaquille Goodwin   F   6'8"   Decatur
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Lennys Tap

• All American
TC's recruiting
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:06:27 PM »
Wow, I'm one of the few who liked Crean and Buzz for different reasons, but couldn't Crean have gotten MU any more five stars or a good big man when he can pull in these three 5-stars this year and next?

Certainly not to ignore that discovering D. Wade is a much better get than any 5-star, but I am concerned that we have only been able to grab one out of 205 five-stars available since we joined the Big East.

Before the deal was struck with the Indiana Elite, Crean successfully recruited 0 5-stars, a couple of 4-stars and a bunch of 3-stars (or lower). Now he's choosing which 5-stars he wants. Anyone not connecting the dots isn't paying any attention. Only the Al Davis, "Just Win Baby" segment of Hoosier fans aren't in "full squirm" mode.

HoopsMalone

• All American
TC's recruiting
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:09:56 PM »
Before the deal was struck with the Indiana Elite, Crean successfully recruited 0 5-stars, a couple of 4-stars and a bunch of 3-stars (or lower). Now he's choosing which 5-stars he wants. Anyone not connecting the dots isn't paying any attention. Only the Al Davis, "Just Win Baby" segment of Hoosier fans aren't in "full squirm" mode.

I don't know everything about what happened at IU.  But from everything I am reading the hiring of that AAU coach was legal.  I think only Parrea even played for that coach.  I could be wrong.

It does seem fishy, but it is within the rules it sounds.  

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
TC's recruiting
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »
Tough time in the coaching change, but former prospect BJ Young may not go to AK per this source:http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/28021570

Maybe Buzz can get back on him.

-You will also notice that Tom "wait until next year" Crean might have locked up another 5 star in 2012.  At this point, good luck to him I guess

-Villanova added a center which will be weird since they usually have as much size as we do.  Jay Wright made up for his weak finish to the season.

- No MU fans should be wishing Tom Crean good luck.
- The only way you can make up for a weak finish to one season is by having a very strong finish in the next season.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
TC's recruiting
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 02:53:04 PM »

Is this what we are going to do now?

First, MU fans hate Crean for leaving. Lots of threads about that.

Then MU fans take pleasure in his lack of success. Lots of threads for 3 seasons about that.

Now, when he is starting to have some success, we imply that he's cheating? Is this what we are going to be doing for the next few years? Finding any chink in the armor and then using it to "prove" TC is bad?

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
TC's recruiting
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »

Then MU fans take pleasure in his lack of success. Lots of threads for 3 seasons about that.

Now, when he is starting to have some success, we imply that he's cheating? Is this what we are going to be doing for the next few years? Finding any chink in the armor and then using it to "prove" TC is bad?

The proof is already there.  Just watch him try to coach when his team is down by 1 with less than a minute to go.

tower912

• All American
TC's recruiting
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »
Crean is doing what he needs to do.   As long as he locks down the borders and gets the best in-state talent to IU, he can do well.    If he gets the occasional good player from out of state, that is just gravy.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMac

• All American
TC's recruiting
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »
Any chance we can rename this thread "Tom Crean Recruiting Discussion, with a gratuitous mention of BJ Young"?

Lennys Tap

• All American
TC's recruiting
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »

1.I didn't and don't hate Crean for leaving. The manner in which he left was "character revealed" to some. Not to me. I thought he had proven himself a first class asshat long before he informed his players and employer he was gone via ESPN.

2.I admit that I derive some pleasure from his struggles. He's my least favorite coach in college basketball. If you (and others) have a coach out there you can't stand you probably root against him too. Only seems normal and I'll never criticize you for it.

3.Our most prolific poster regularly casts aspersions on our present coach, claiming unnamed sources tell him that Buzz is doing things that, while not illegal, make said poster "squirm". As long as he's posting that crap rest assured there will be people here pointing to TC's recruiting failures at IU prior to forming his unholy alliance with Indiana Elite-and how this technically legal (soon to not be, quite likely) deal is squirm worthy.

4.And to answer your first question last - yes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:34:52 PM by Lennys Tap »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
TC's recruiting
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »
- No MU fans should be wishing Tom Crean good luck.
- The only way you can make up for a weak finish to one season is by having a very strong finish in the next season.

So childish.

pbiflyer

• All American
TC's recruiting
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 03:44:47 PM »
I don't know everything about what happened at IU.  But from everything I am reading the hiring of that AAU coach was legal.  I think only Parrea even played for that coach.  I could be wrong.

It does seem fishy, but it isWAS within the rules it sounds.  

Fixed, what he did is no longer legal under NCAA rules.

HoopsMalone

• All American
TC's recruiting
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 03:46:07 PM »
A thread about a recruit we missed on and Alaska turns into a Crean thread.  Sounds about right.

I actually think that Crean's stud class might not be the best thing for him.  He would be better off with gradual success there in my opinion.  I see him hyping it up too much for his own good.  He will raise expectations too high and not meet them.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
TC's recruiting
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »

+1,000,000,000,000

Seriously, who cares? TC made a decision to leave. He didn't go to a rival and before he left hired a great assistant who seems well on his way to being a pretty good coach. Without Crean, we have no Wade, no Final Four, no Three Amigos, and no Buzz. Anyone still obsessing over him at this point is acting like a petty, spoiled child. Let it go. He's gone, we're doing fine. Move on with your lives. Holding that bitterness can't be healthy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
TC's recruiting
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »
+1,000,000,000,000

Seriously, who cares? TC made a decision to leave. He didn't go to a rival and before he left hired a great assistant who seems well on his way to being a pretty good coach. Without Crean, we have no Wade, no Final Four, no Three Amigos, and no Buzz. Anyone still obsessing over him at this point is acting like a petty, spoiled child. Let it go. He's gone, we're doing fine. Move on with your lives. Holding that bitterness can't be healthy.

I'll agree with all of that except for Wade.  Crean caught lightning in a bottle by getting him, because DePaul basically told him "we don't have any room for you" which left MU as his next best option.

When Crean left, we lost 2 studs in Trevor Mbakwe and Tyshawn Taylor.  He put us at risk of being in a serious hole, luckily we had 3 seniors and a junior who all went on to be in the top 10 all-time scorers at MU.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
TC's recruiting
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 04:37:10 PM »
1.I didn't and don't hate Crean for leaving. The manner in which he left was "character revealed" to some. Not to me. I thought he had proven himself a first class asshat long before he informed his players and employer he was gone via ESPN.

2.I admit that I derive some pleasure from his struggles. He's my least favorite coach in college basketball. If you (and others) have a coach out there you can't stand you probably root against him too. Only seems normal and I'll never criticize you for it.

3.Our most prolific poster regularly casts aspersions on our present coach, claiming unnamed sources tell him that Buzz is doing things that, while not illegal, make said poster "squirm". As long as he's posting that crap rest assured there will be people here pointing to TC's recruiting failures at IU prior to forming his unholy alliance with Indiana Elite-and how this technically legal (soon to not be, quite likely) deal is squirm worthy.

4.And to answer your first question last - yes.

Well, I'm sort of mad at your answers, but I asked for it, so it's my own fault.

I'm not sure what the obsession with TC is, but I guess it will never go away. If the guy loses, people will post here about it and laugh at him. If the guy wins, people will post here making accusations.

For whatever reason, it's never going to stop. I'll have to accept that.

Rage on my friends, RAGE F*CKING ON!!

Prediction: 

In 2030, TC will be elected to the HOF (after 20+ seasons at IU), and somebody here will start a thread saying that TC owes it all to Wade, and just got lucky at IU.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:44:10 PM by 2002MUalum »

VwArrior1

• Starter
TC's recruiting
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
The mods should put up a TC message board for those who are still interested.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
TC's recruiting
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 05:23:46 PM »

One of the reasons he left...tired of finishing brides maid for some of the 5 stars and he has an easier time getting them now. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
TC's recruiting
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »

What "deal" are you talking about.  Indiana "Elite" has been part of Hoosiers basketball for almost three decades in various forms....please, explain the "deal".  For history, when Bob Knight was around it was called Indiana Red and they later became Indiana Elite.  So when Crean was what, 3 years old the "deal" was put into place?

::)

I still marvel at the treatment here of a coach that put us back on the map...yup, he was an asshat but we aren't here today without some of the accomplishments in the 2000's.  I also marvel at the feigned outrage over him and virtually nothing over Majerus who left us in a complete lurch, nothing over KO who crapped on MU at every turn, etc.  Character revealed indeed
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:37:19 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pakuni

• All American
TC's recruiting
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »
I still marvel at the treatment here of a coach that put us back on the map...yup, he was an asshat

You shouldn't speak of Kevin O'Neill that way.

muball

• Starter
TC's recruiting
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
Brewcity77 , u sound as if your Dodds twin or Dodds using another name.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
TC's recruiting
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »

Define "regularly"?  Is that like "vast majority"?

I don't like what he did with Newbill...neither did HBO Sports with Bryant Gumbel.  It made squirm (and many others).  It's not illegal, but it makes me squirm.

I don't like recruiting kids that have already verbally committed....it makes me squirm.  It's not illegal, but it makes me squirm.

I don't like it when a kid is on scholarship at another program and encouraged to transfer to MU, even if it's through back channels.  Sorry, that makes me squirm.  Let the kid reach out to us

Etc, etc.  Others have been discussed here already.

You can certainly be squirmed all you want about what's going on at IU, or Auburn in football, or Ohio State or whatever.  It's a free country.  Just as I have every right to feel squirmy about some of the stuff that has been discussed. 

Maybe we should hire an asst video coordinator from an AAU program because word is that they are like bees to honey in terms of recruiting.  You can't believe the number of high profile kids that want to play at a school because of the assistant video coordinator.  It's all the rage, everyone is getting ready to do it. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
TC's recruiting
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »
You shouldn't speak of Kevin O'Neill that way.

He kept the program from going to Loyola mode.  He did not put us back on the map, not nationally anyway. A Final Four puts you back on the map.  Big East invite puts you on the map.  Leaving after just five years, complaining about your contract at every turn, getting drunk nightly at public bars while cheating on your wife for all to see....doesn't get you on the map....not the right one anyway.

muball

• Starter
TC's recruiting
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
well said Chico he couldn't hack it at MU so he took an easier route. I agree as he struggled at MU more often then not recruiting to have back to back good years.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
TC's recruiting
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »

I'm not going to diminish what Crean did to get Wade to Marquette.  He was certainly a key player in having Wade come in as a prop 48.  That said, he did not DISCOVER Wade for MU.  Mike Deane was the first to contact Wade and it was Tim Buckley that convinced Crean to take a look at Wade.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

feedback