[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players  (Read 69960 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2019, 06:54:18 PM »
+1

This is going to lead to the end of collegiate sports the same way free agency destroyed baseball, as hilltopper noted. I miss baseball, even though it ended a couple years before I was born. Too bad Cubs fans never got to see their team win a World Series.

And guess what Free agency did?? It gave the bigger dollar teams a distinct advantage, didn't it?? Small markets can't compete for free agents with teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs etc. Ironically, the Cubs are a LARGE market team, Boston won it last year=Large market team...no salary cap. Not a level playing field. Just as this won't be if this bill goes universal. What players other than bottom level players will want to go to a Marquette in Milwaukee(with limited marketing opportunities) as opposed to go and playing at a college in New York, or California??

Everyone thinks there's a lot of transfers now?? Just wait until this goes universal, kids are going to be transferring even more than they are now.."Coach, i just don't have the marketing ability here that I could in a bigger city". And what about the anomosity this may cause amongst teammates when the star QB is making 100k of his likeness, and the back up Right tackle is making $50??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2019, 06:55:05 PM »
Again, you are being a COMPLETE tool about this..Totally. I guess you want college athletics to become pro sports. Bring on free agency, and trades, and hold outs etc! Sounds great!

Yes, all those things are certain to happen.  Transfers?  Early entries?  Coaches leaving contracts early and taking whole recruiting classes with them?  The sport certainly doesn’t have any roster uncertainty now. 

If I had to guess, you’d probably eliminate all that, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2019, 06:55:46 PM »
The trouble with this law as I see it is that it will promote more inequality. Only the very top players will be making money on this. The average player might get some money here or there, but it is not going to benefit them very much. Even in pro sports the dollars mostly go to players who do not need it. How, many Packers besides Rogers do you see in commercials?

Too many, if we’re being honest  ;)

muguru

• All American
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2019, 06:56:55 PM »
+1

This is going to lead to the end of collegiate sports the same way free agency destroyed baseball, as hilltopper noted. I miss baseball, even though it ended a couple years before I was born. Too bad Cubs fans never got to see their team win a World Series.

Ask Duane Wilson what he thinks of this law.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #229 on: September 11, 2019, 06:58:56 PM »
And guess what Free agency did?? It gave the bigger dollar teams a distinct advantage, didn't it?? Small markets can't compete for free agents with teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs etc. Ironically, the Cubs are a LARGE market team, Boston won it last year=Large market team...no salary cap. Not a level playing field. Just as this won't be if this bill goes universal. What players other than bottom level players will want to go to a Marquette in Milwaukee(with limited marketing opportunities) as opposed to go and playing at a college in New York, or California??

Everyone thinks there's a lot of transfers now?? Just wait until this goes universal, kids are going to be transferring even more than they are now.."Coach, i just don't have the marketing ability here that I could in a bigger city". And what about the anomosity this may cause amongst teammates when the star QB is making 100k of his likeness, and the back up Right tackle is making $50??

Heaven forbid a world where a select group of schools holds a near-unbreakable recruiting advantage!!! What will we do?!?

And to the second paragraph...so?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #230 on: September 11, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »
Yes, all those things are certain to happen.  Transfers?  Early entries?  Coaches leaving contracts early and taking whole recruiting classes with them?  The sport certainly doesn’t have any roster uncertainty now. 

If I had to guess, you’d probably eliminate all that, too

Can't players opt to not go to college and go play in the G league or overseas out of high school if they so choose?? They have opportunities to make money. No one is making them go to college are they??

muguru

• All American
« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2019, 07:01:55 PM »
Heaven forbid a world where a select group of schools holds a near-unbreakable recruiting advantage!!! What will we do?!?

And to the second paragraph...so?

So?? Let me ask you this, what do you think this will do to Marquette's basketball program?? You are one of the most vocal about his desire to see a national Championship(and I 100% applaud that), this law will pretty much make sure that NEVER happens, unless they do it by pure luck. You applauding this law, is also applauding the down turn of MU basketball. You sure you want that??

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2019, 07:02:25 PM »
Can't players opt to not go to college and go play in the G league or overseas out of high school if they so choose?? They have opportunities to make money. No one is making them go to college are they??

They can’t in football because the NFL knows college is their feeder league.  You’re focusing solely on basketball. 

The NBA and shoe companies should be paying kids as soon as middle school and starting their own academies.  Kids that aren’t good enough can use that money to go to college later.  They’ll get far better training and coaching than they do in high school

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »
Respectfully, you're putting words in my mouth.
I never wrote that you insisted anything, nor did I suggest that any of this is easy to manage

My apologies. I read your "as some of you insist" as applying to me.

I'm not insisting anything. Nor am I claiming this is the end of the world. I simply think many of you are greatly oversimplifying the potential outcomes of this.

No matter what, this will cause change. I think change will be for the worse in terms of NCAA basketball. Very simple reason why.

If we could guarantee landing RJ Davis by coming up with an endorsement deal, which was perfectly legal, how many of you/us would contribute to a fund to have him be the official spokesperson of Rocket's dental practice. I know I would kick in a chunk of money, and most fans that have disposable income would too.

Right now we aren't using that money towards MU athletics, but would if it was above board and could recruit a start athlete. That is going to be universal. And some schools have alumni with far far far more disposable income than any scooper.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2019, 07:05:21 PM »
My apologies. I read your "as some of you insist" as applying to me.

I'm not insisting anything. Nor am I claiming this is the end of the world. I simply think many of you are greatly oversimplifying the potential outcomes of this.

No matter what, this will cause change. I think change will be for the worse in terms of NCAA basketball. Very simple reason why.

If we could guarantee landing RJ Davis by coming up with an endorsement deal, which was perfectly legal, how many of you/us would contribute to a fund to have him be the official spokesperson of Rocket's dental practice. I know I would kick in a chunk of money, and most fans that have disposable income would too.

Right now we aren't using that money towards MU athletics, but would if it was above board and could recruit a start athlete. That is going to be universal. And some schools have alumni with far far far more disposable income than any scooper.

That hints at a far greater problem, anyway.  If you have that kind of disposable income and you’re trying to buy your alma mater a championship, I’d question your life priorities but that’s a different discussion

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »
When they start generating revenue commiserate with what major college athletics do

The G-league has far more talented players than the NCAA. Why doesn't the G-league generate more revenue?

Would the NCAA generate more revenue, if the more talented G-league players played in the NCAA?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2019, 07:10:35 PM »
The G-league has far more talented players than the NCAA. Why doesn't the G-league generate more revenue?

Would the NCAA generate more revenue, if the more talented G-league players played in the NCAA?

Fair question to ask that I’m not sure I can answer. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »
So?? Let me ask you this, what do you think this will do to Marquette's basketball program?? You are one of the most vocal about his desire to see a national Championship(and I 100% applaud that), this law will pretty much make sure that NEVER happens, unless they do it by pure luck. You applauding this law, is also applauding the down turn of MU basketball. You sure you want that??

I think your Chicken Littling is nothing more than that. Marquette still has benefactors that would keep them where they at. The league won't fall off the earth. Milwaukee will still be a top-35 market. Players will still come here, play here, and donors will help that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2019, 07:17:26 PM »

I think more of the talented G League players would stay in school longer if they could profit from their likeness.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2019, 07:28:31 PM »
I think more of the talented G League players would stay in school longer if they could profit from their likeness.

One of my concerns with the "likeness" issue is graduates claiming unfair treatment by arbitrarily excluding them from a market (NCAA) that generates more lucrative contracts.

The NCAA can no longer claim "student athlete," when the athletes are generating personal revenue from their participation. It becomes a job, where segments of the population are discriminated against, in part on the basis of age. Could be a valid antitrust issue, especially with no collective bargaining agreement.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2019, 07:29:36 PM »
In case anyone was wondering, here is the NCAA board of Governors, who all signed the letter...I bolded two, one of which should be of interest to everyone that posts here. The 2nd is from Ohio State University, the3rd largest public University in the US with DEEP pockets, and lo and behold, they signed the letter. The ONLY people that seemingly want this, are the players.

Stevie Baker-Watson, DePauw University
    M. Grace Calhoun, University of Pennsylvania
    Ken Chenault, General Catalyst
    Mary Sue Coleman, Association of American Universities
    John DeGioia, Georgetown University
    Michael Drake, The Ohio State University
    Philip DiStefano, University of Colorado, Boulder
    Mark Emmert, NCAA
    Sue Henderson, New Jersey City University
    Grant Hill, CBS/Warner and The Atlanta Hawks
    Sandra Jordan, University of South Carolina Aiken
    Renu Khator, University of Houston
    Laura Liesman, Georgian Court University
    Ronald Machtley, Bryant University
    The Rev. James Maher, Niagara University
    Denis McDonough, Former White House Chief of Staff
    Tori Murden McClure, Spalding University
    Gary Olson, Daemen College
    Denise Trauth, Texas State University
    Satish Tripathi, University at Buffalo, the State University of New York
    David Wilson, Morgan State University
    Randy Woodson, North Carolina State University

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2019, 07:31:42 PM »
And the total value of all this remains well below the amount of revenue the players generate for the university.

Yes, individually.   Collectively, the entire team makes millions of dollars. 

Businesses (even not for profit businesses) need to make profits to reinvest into their business.  The idea that these athletes who have invested thousands of dollars to further their careers by the time they get to college should get as much as the universities get after investing hundreds of millions makes no sense.   I think people are underestimating the platform that has been given to these players to showcase themselves.   The hundreds of thousands of dollars in total compensation individual players already get is enormous when multiplied by all D1 college players. Yet people are describing this as unfair.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2019, 07:32:39 PM »
In case anyone was wondering, here is the NCAA board of Governors, who all signed the letter...I bolded two, one of which should be of interest to everyone that posts here. The 2nd is from Ohio State University, the3rd largest public University in the US with DEEP pockets, and lo and behold, they signed the letter. The ONLY people that seemingly want this, are the players.

Stevie Baker-Watson, DePauw University
    M. Grace Calhoun, University of Pennsylvania
    Ken Chenault, General Catalyst
    Mary Sue Coleman, Association of American Universities
    John DeGioia, Georgetown University
    Michael Drake, The Ohio State University
    Philip DiStefano, University of Colorado, Boulder
    Mark Emmert, NCAA
    Sue Henderson, New Jersey City University
    Grant Hill, CBS/Warner and The Atlanta Hawks
    Sandra Jordan, University of South Carolina Aiken
    Renu Khator, University of Houston
    Laura Liesman, Georgian Court University
    Ronald Machtley, Bryant University
    The Rev. James Maher, Niagara University
    Denis McDonough, Former White House Chief of Staff
    Tori Murden McClure, Spalding University
    Gary Olson, Daemen College
    Denise Trauth, Texas State University
    Satish Tripathi, University at Buffalo, the State University of New York
    David Wilson, Morgan State University
    Randy Woodson, North Carolina State University

That’s because they want to control the money and players.  Grant Hill and Randy Woodson signing that is some mighty hypocrisy. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #243 on: September 11, 2019, 07:34:43 PM »
One of my concerns with the "likeness" issue is graduates claiming unfair treatment by arbitrarily excluding them from a market (NCAA) that generates more lucrative contracts.

The NCAA can no longer claim "student athlete," when the athletes are generating personal revenue from their participation. It becomes a job, where segments of the population are discriminated against, in part on the basis of age. Could be a valid antitrust issue, especially with no collective bargaining agreement.

Nah, if that were the case 25-year-old gymnasts would have made the case, or retired athletes from other professional sports that never made the money players make today.

You make what you can in the window you have. It's like that in every other profession, no reason for this one to be different.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #244 on: September 11, 2019, 07:39:57 PM »
Nah, if that were the case 25-year-old gymnasts would have made the case, or retired athletes from other professional sports that never made the money players make today.

You make what you can in the window you have. It's like that in every other profession, no reason for this one to be different.

Previously there was no value/income that could be had by making that case. Now you could be talking 100's of thousands of dollars lost per year, simply because you went to school for 4 year.

Regarding the "window"? How many other professions exclude you from the profession when you become more skilled and better at your job? This one is different in its very nature when compared to any other profession.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #245 on: September 11, 2019, 07:46:21 PM »
+1

Agreed, but it won’t exist in the current iteration.  Too many teams. Fortunately in baseball there are only 30 teams.  Easier to find enough players throughout the world to fill only 30 rosters.  MU basketball I fear may go down to D2 or be associated with the D1 have nots because they will be one of the 225 teams who cannot pay.  Meanwhile the schools with enormous fan bases who can by their team like professional baseball teams will thrive.  This will include P5 teams with zero basketball tradition just because of the shear alumni numbers.  Suddenly they will jump MU in prestige and there is nothing we can do about it.

Too say this crusade won’t have deleterious effects is burying your head in the sand.   

I am a big professional sports fan so I will be fine either way but MU b-ball is a passion of mine that won’t survive relegation.  It will become MU rugby to me.  I think many of you would feel the same way.

I really hope you guys are right though and every school adapts to the new reality well because I feel this is going to happen no matter how the collective universities feel.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2019, 07:47:12 PM »
Previously there was no value/income that could be had by making that case. Now you could be talking 100's of thousands of dollars lost per year, simply because you went to school for 4 year.

Regarding the "window"? How many other professions exclude you from the profession when you become more skilled and better at your job? This one is different in its very nature when compared to any other profession.

Perhaps, but if you’re a washout at the next level, why would anyone pay money for you to use as an endorsement to play at Marquette? 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #247 on: September 11, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
When they start generating revenue commiserate with what major college athletics do

LOL.  Who is generating the revenue?  Without the players, there are no games.  Guess what, without the scholarships, the facilities, etc, provided by the schools...there are no games either.  Want to make revenue, go pro.  Want to earn a college degree for free, play college.  Very simple.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2019, 07:48:28 PM »
None of these things are free. They cost money. And that money is generated via the labor of the players.

It's funny how some of you think the entire ball of wax is "generated" by the labor of players.  Interesting.  Completely false, but interesting.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #249 on: September 11, 2019, 07:49:17 PM »
LOL.  Who is generating the revenue?  Without the players, there are no games.  Guess what, without the scholarships, the facilities, etc, provided by the schools...there are no games either.  Want to make revenue, go pro.  Want to earn a college degree for free, play college.  Very simple.

Without the players, there are no games.  Fox Sports isn’t giving the Big East millions to the WIAC.  Very simple

feedback