'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Izzo-ver  (Read 9713 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Izzo-ver
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2023, 08:16:02 PM »
Hope ur right. Wouldn’t mind him starting over stevie. Love the guy but having a starting guard with such little scoring ability is huge liability

Stevie is fine.

He’s a better offensive player than Derrick Wilson ever was and Derrick was a starting PG for two straight years.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2023, 08:18:02 PM »
Stevie is fine.

He’s a better offensive player than Derrick Wilson ever was and Derrick was a starting PG for two straight years.

I’d like to see Stevie and Kam develop a mid range jumper - we lacked that this year.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2023, 08:18:40 PM »
Stevie is fine.

Please don't disrespect Stevie Mitchell by even putting him in the same sentence or comparison as Derrick Wilson.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2023, 08:18:56 PM »
Stevie is fine.

very low bar there

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2023, 08:19:06 PM »
Question:

If this game was played 10 times .. what'd be the result?

TBH, I'm going with MSU 8, MU 2.    I think Izzo was masterful today and he'd well contain MU over multiple games.
With normal (not even great) TK, MU 7, MSU 3.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2023, 08:19:20 PM »
I’d like to see Stevie and Kam develop a mid range jumper - we lacked that this year.

That’s literally the kind of shot we don’t want to take.

panda

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2023, 08:19:33 PM »
That was no masterful coaching clinic from Izzo. It’s easy to defend a team when they turn the ball over every other possession on unforced errors. The decision to auto bench Hoggard in the first half killed MSU. It let us back into the game and without the turnovers and the moronic Omax intentional foul, probably would’ve lost them the game. MSU struggled mightily with our token pressure, turned the ball over themselves a fair amount and ended up taking lots of rushed end of shot clock looks because they couldn’t get anything going offensively. Once again, it’s easy to defend a team that shoots itself in the foot over and over again with turnovers. We’re far and away the better team, but we couldn’t get out of our own way. 

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2023, 08:19:45 PM »
That’s literally the kind of shot we don’t want to take.
except it wins games at the end of games.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2023, 08:21:26 PM »
Stevie isn't going anywhere in this starting lineup. He paces this team defensively and he can develop enough to make noise on offense.

I think Tre will be better than your average freshman but let him prove it on the court. This team desperately needs Sean Jones and Ross to come ready to contribute in meaningful ways. I'm confident Ross will...but Jones is the one you really need

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2023, 08:25:25 PM »

Since we don’t shoot mid-range jumpers, there is no reason to develop one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2023, 08:36:55 PM »
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/NCAA-Tourney-Michigan-State-69-Marquette-60-Tom-Izzo-206926365/

I am sure these will be up on youtube.    Dodd's paraphrasing.   

Izzo said they did some things defensively.

TKo says it wasn't the thumb
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2023, 08:39:57 PM »
Tyler’s thumb was a major issue. He went from All-America play pre-NCAA to worse than when he was at George Mason. Big stage was not the issue; MSG is a big stage. He turned it over on drives to the lane, couldn’t finish at the rim. Night and day different player. Thumb is the only explanation

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2023, 08:42:07 PM »
Stevie is fine.

Stevie needs a LOT of work finishing when contested. Tyler did too after last year though, so hopefully they work with him the same way they did with Tyler.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2023, 08:46:06 PM »
Since we don’t shoot mid-range jumpers, there is no reason to develop one.

As opposed to driving to the rim and getting it blocked?

panda

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2023, 08:47:15 PM »
We would’ve turned the ball over playing zero on five in an empty gym. There was no scheme that forced those turnovers. Completely uncharacteristic, sloppy and rushed play.

Nothing Izzo did defensively forced those turnovers.

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2023, 08:48:44 PM »
Tyler’s thumb was a major issue. He went from All-America play pre-NCAA to worse than when he was at George Mason. Big stage was not the issue; MSG is a big stage. He turned it over on drives to the lane, couldn’t finish at the rim. Night and day different player. Thumb is the only explanation

Tyler himself said in the press conference that the thumb was not a factor whatsoever and said he had no excuses for his turnovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuBlDauLkww

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2023, 08:53:24 PM »
Tyler himself said in the press conference that the thumb was not a factor whatsoever and said he had no excuses for his turnovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuBlDauLkww

Tyler’s a smart kid - he knew if he said it was in any way related to the thumb, it would come off as sour grapes.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2023, 09:14:36 PM »
Tyler’s a smart kid - he knew if he said it was in any way related to the thumb, it would come off as sour grapes.

Maybe he was being honest.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2023, 09:31:53 PM »
come on, there's a reason izzo is so successful and MU is not. He's a brilliant coach with studs athletes. That gap was showcased today.

Yes, Izzo is "so successful". But how do you arrive at the conclusion that "MU is not". Back to back NCAA Tournament appearances in Shaka's first 2 years; regular season and BET Championships; and 29-7 record would indicate otherwise. That Marquette is pretty damn successful right now and perfectly positioned for even greater "success" in the coming seasons.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2023, 09:33:48 PM »
Topper hasn’t really had a positive opinion about Marquette hoops since Buzz left.

Hol up.  Very few had a positive opinion about MU during the Wojo years, and frankly, anyone who did were proven wrong year after year during Wojo's futility.

I think MU had a fantastic year.  But yeah, I did not think they were elite enough to be a Final 4 team.  I absolutely love Shaka's style and ability to get way more than the sum of the parts. 

As Buzz used to say .. keep throwing good pitches.   This year built on last year, both good pitches, and I expect next year to be even better.

But yeah, MSU is no slouch team, Torvik had them at 24 to MU's 14, Izzo is a HOF coach and yes, MSU beats MU 8 of 10 today.   All you guys who think otherwise .. sorry, you're over-valuing Marquette this year.  MSU is a good team and the best evidence we have is the 40 minutes they just played.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2023, 09:58:04 PM »
Hol up.  Very few had a positive opinion about MU during the Wojo years, and frankly, anyone who did were proven wrong year after year during Wojo's futility.

I think MU had a fantastic year.  But yeah, I did not think they were elite enough to be a Final 4 team.  I absolutely love Shaka's style and ability to get way more than the sum of the parts. 

As Buzz used to say .. keep throwing good pitches.   This year built on last year, both good pitches, and I expect next year to be even better.

But yeah, MSU is no slouch team, Torvik had them at 24 to MU's 14, Izzo is a HOF coach and yes, MSU beats MU 8 of 10 today.   All you guys who think otherwise .. sorry, you're over-valuing Marquette this year.  MSU is a good team and the best evidence we have is the 40 minutes they just played.

Believing MSU beats MU 8/10 is pure idiocy, no matter now many times you repeat yourself.

panda

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2023, 10:00:54 PM »
Believing MSU beats MU 8/10 is pure idiocy, no matter now many times you repeat yourself.

Marquette shot themselves in the foot time and time again throughout the game. Michigan state is tough, but there is no reason we couldn’t beat them playing even our average game.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2023, 10:03:01 PM »
Marquette shot themselves in the foot time and time again throughout the game. Michigan state is tough, but there is no reason we couldn’t beat them playing even our average game.

That’s exactly my point. We were awful and that had more to do with us than MSU. To say that team would beat us 8/10 is patently absurd.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2023, 10:03:11 PM »
MSU wouldn’t have finished in the top 5 of the Big East this season.
We played a really bad game, and because MSU was so ordinary we still had a chance to win with a few minutes left.  They executed down the stretch, we didn’t.

Izzo is a HOFer, but this is not one of his better teams, far from it. 

Jan-Mar we were the better team.  Today we weren’t. It sucks!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2023, 10:05:20 PM »
Reading these comments I’m understanding
That scoopers have different definitions of “mid range jumper”.

feedback