[Today at 01:13:53 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:22:07 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Leon's Frozen Custard Making National News  (Read 12942 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Leon's Frozen Custard Making National News
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »

The owner thought he made the best decision given the circumstances at hand.  He didn't want to deal with a potential boycott that THE MARKETPLACE was organizing.

That's exactly what you are advocating for.  The government didn't make him change his policies.  The free market did.

Yes, he jumped the gun based on potential threats, of which we have no idea if any would happen.  That's what I said.  He jumped the gun. 

Did those threats come to fruition?  Nope.  Was there a boycott?  No.  Would there have been a boycott?  Maybe.  How damaging?  No idea.   Did the threats of gov't action make him change his policies?  We don't know, but every bit a possibility yet you exclude that entirely, for some reason.  The guy made a decision without market forces doing a damn thing.  The threat of something, without knowing anything about the threat is silly.  Again, Leon's had a large line yesterday BECAUSE of his policy if you read some of the articles.   You ignored that part as well.  Business IMPROVED yesterday.  Now, does that mean starting today and the next month business would have tanked because the fauxragers who have ordered custard for decades just fine want to be able to order it differently now?  Who knows.

Question for you.  What happens the first day he has a shift at his store where none of his employees speak Spanish? 

End of the day, absolute silliness. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2016, 09:19:32 AM »
Travel to Paris much?  Beyond rude if you don't speak French.   I'm pretty sure, however, if I went to order custard even in Swaziland or Kenya or Turkey, I could point to what I want and order just fine....the same that has happened at Leon's for 74 years.  And yes, this whole thing is beyond silly.  The fauxrage is strong.

Actually yes - I do travel to Paris and despite the label I have never personally had a problem.  I point and grunt as well...all i am saying is that being flexible and serving your customer in the easiest way possible is never a bad thing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2016, 09:27:53 AM »
Actually yes - I do travel to Paris and despite the label I have never personally had a problem.  I point and grunt as well...all i am saying is that being flexible and serving your customer in the easiest way possible is never a bad thing.

We agree.  I don't think it is a bad thing, but I equally don't see a problem in what he was doing if he doesn't have the resources to be able to handle the requests.

Like I said, what happens the first day he has a shift on and none of his employees speak Spanish (which they have already said most of the employees don't speak Spanish) and some wise guy decides he's going to make a social statement for which the world should burn because he can't get his custard ordering in some language other than English....even though he speaks English just fine?   Leon's should pay for that because they don't have the employees to handle it?  That's why I asked the question about other languages?  What is to stop the fauxragers of any language to start posting in social media how terrible their experience is because Susy Cupcake behind the register doesn't speak Chinese?   

Silliness.   Leon's has somehow, someway, managed to get product into the hands of their customers for decades.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2016, 09:39:32 AM »
Yes, and she was the EXCEPTION.   Also stated, MOST of his employees do not speak Spanish.  That was his point, he doesn't have the resources on a day to day basis to offer that kind of service.   

Did I say it was foolish what he's doing?  Nope.  Do I think is what foolish?  Nope.  I don't see where his business was suffering the last 50+ years, but if he wants to change it, that's fine.   Did I say that he has a right to do it?  Yup...as did you and others.  Did I say the marketplace should ultimately decide?  Yup.   Is the fauxrage alive and well....absolutely.

Here's the thing...

You are correctly saying that nobody is being denied service, etc.  Then you turn around and suggest that someone is trying to require Leon's to provide this service.  But that's a red herring; nobody is doing that. Nobody is saying he has to provide that service on a day to day basis. They're just saying don't prevent your employees from providing this service.  If that girl is the only one who speaks Spanish and she quits, Leon's isn't going to be required to provide Spanish speaking staff.  But as long as she's there, why prohibit it?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2016, 09:44:32 AM »
Are you suggesting that if he didn't make this decision he was going into bankruptcy and would lose a ton of business?    No one is saying he is being forced to provide those services, the point was to show how ridiculous it is the fauxrage created with this one in the first place.  A customer, who speaks perfectly fine English, upset because he can't order in Spanish? Give me a break. The owner, wanting to control what his employees say and being able to offer a consistent experience is punished for wanting to do that, because he knows he doesn't have the resources to provide that service all the time.   Again, sad.

Just wait until the next time someone wants to order in their preferred language and on shift that day are two kids that speak English only and the hub bub that will start.  Beyond silly.  This country is offended by the wind blowing.

No, I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that an owner doesn't necessarily have to wait for the business downturn to determine that the market has spoken.

And I would tend to agree that the individual at the heart of this story (Sanchez?) is, in fact, the kind of "faux outrage" person who drives you (and me) nuts.  But the person in front of him in line who also was speaking Spanish might not be.  I hate some of these faux outrage people just as much as you do, but it seems to me that you're twisting yourself into knots on this issue because of your disgust for that one person (or type of person).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2016, 09:46:40 AM »
Here's the thing...

You are correctly saying that nobody is being denied service, etc.  Then you turn around and suggest that someone is trying to require Leon's to provide this service.  But that's a red herring; nobody is doing that. Nobody is saying he has to provide that service on a day to day basis. They're just saying don't prevent your employees from providing this service.  If that girl is the only one who speaks Spanish and she quits, Leon's isn't going to be required to provide Spanish speaking staff.  But as long as she's there, why prohibit it?

Because in essence they are trying to shame them into providing that service. 

I again ask, what happens the first time he has no employees that speak Spanish, which is the NORM there....and someone posts on social that evil Leon's is not servicing the customers because all of a sudden, ordering custard requires bilingual support.   

If that girl quits, will there be pressure on him to hire someone else that speaks Spanish?  You know damn well there will be. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2016, 09:55:38 AM »
Ahem....that response wasn't to you, unless MU82 and you are the same person.....so not sure why you think it was. 

::)

The bigger point was the idiots that have said this is racism, clearly a lot of people have no clue what the definition of racism is.  I'm glad you do, many don't, including here at Scoop.  Language has nothing to do with race, but that doesn't start the inane, dare I say obtuse, charges of it.

I wasn't suggesting you were referring to me.  I knew it was others.  I was simply saying that even though I wasn't one of the ones who had been addressing race earlier I would speak on behalf of those who had.  Obviously, not clearly stated on my part.

I agree with you; I don't think Leon's decision has anything to do with racism.  I don't think he's a racist and think he can be justifiably angry at those who are calling him that.  But when you suggest that "language has nothing to do with race" you're either trolling or trying to make a point (or both).  Language is not a proxy for race; I'll give you that.  But there is a strong statistical correlation.  But you know that.  Which is what makes your insistence that they  have "nothing" to do with each other seem so trollish.  But that certainly doesn't mean that they guy who owns Leon's is a racist and does not justify calling him one.  Even if speaking Spanish was a complete proxy for race, I wouldn't necessarily conclude that an "English only" rule would be racist.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2016, 10:01:25 AM »
Ricky's on State #1?

Let's face it: Some things are so self-evident as to require no explanation.

Is the Pope Polish?

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2016, 10:06:59 AM »
Is the fauxrage alive and well....absolutely.

Yeah ... again ... mostly from you.

You have been raging on and on for four pages here. You clearly are outraged at the outraged ... and the level-headed ... and people with common sense ... and people trying to talk nice to you ... and people making fun of you.

Fauxrage, thy name is Chicos!

(Unless, of course, you've been punking us the entire time; you like sarcasm too much to put a couple dozen daffy, fauxrageous posts in teal. In that case, as a guy who never uses teal or LOL, I say to you, "Well done, Sir Chicos, well done.")
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2016, 10:11:41 AM »
We agree.  I don't think it is a bad thing, but I equally don't see a problem in what he was doing if he doesn't have the resources to be able to handle the requests.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here...He did have the resources to handle the request.  His employee who was serving these customers spoke Spanish.  Even if she was the only one (and even if at least one of those customers could be viewed as an attention-seeking pain in the ass), Leon's had the resource to handle those requests.  What he was doing here was specifically prohibiting the use of a readily available resource.  I'm not aware of anyone suggesting he obtain additional resources.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »
Because in essence they are trying to shame them into providing that service. 

I again ask, what happens the first time he has no employees that speak Spanish, which is the NORM there....and someone posts on social that evil Leon's is not servicing the customers because all of a sudden, ordering custard requires bilingual support.   

If that girl quits, will there be pressure on him to hire someone else that speaks Spanish?  You know damn well there will be.

I think what happens then is he says, "I'm sorry.  We don't have anyone here who speaks that language.  But how can we help you."

I know there is a group of people who will never be satisfied.  But I think the vast majority of reasonable people understand very well the difference between saying, "I will refuse to communicate with you in your language even though I am able" and "I'm sorry, I don't speak your language."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2016, 10:19:12 AM »
Like I said, what happens the first day he has a shift on and none of his employees speak Spanish (which they have already said most of the employees don't speak Spanish) and some wise guy decides he's going to make a social statement for which the world should burn because he can't get his custard ordering in some language other than English....even though he speaks English just fine?   Leon's should pay for that because they don't have the employees to handle it?  That's why I asked the question about other languages?  What is to stop the fauxragers of any language to start posting in social media how terrible their experience is because Susy Cupcake behind the register doesn't speak Chinese?   

Silliness.   Leon's has somehow, someway, managed to get product into the hands of their customers for decades.

You are creating a strawman here.  No one would bat an eye if the headline was "lots of chinese speaking people can't get custard at Leon's because the clerks don't speak chinese".  In fact most would laugh and think it came from the onion.

It is bad business and dumb to tell someone who speaks spanish, french, chinese, or whatever that they cannot use their skills to better serve a customer.  No one is requiring him to have spanish speakers. 

brandx

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2016, 10:24:08 AM »
What is the point here? Nets is doing what Ners ALWAYS does.

Arguing just to be heard. Being a diva.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
You couldn't pay me to listen to him.
Too each it's own I guess.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2016, 09:22:11 PM »
I know I'm beating a dead horse here...He did have the resources to handle the request.  His employee who was serving these customers spoke Spanish.  Even if she was the only one (and even if at least one of those customers could be viewed as an attention-seeking pain in the ass), Leon's had the resource to handle those requests.  What he was doing here was specifically prohibiting the use of a readily available resource.  I'm not aware of anyone suggesting he obtain additional resources.

Honestly, how can you say this?  If she is the only one, she doesn't work 18 hours a day.  In this instance, yes, but in other instances when she or other staff capable of speaking Spanish are not available, the resources aren't there.  What's he supposed to do?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »
I think what happens then is he says, "I'm sorry.  We don't have anyone here who speaks that language.  But how can we help you."

I know there is a group of people who will never be satisfied.  But I think the vast majority of reasonable people understand very well the difference between saying, "I will refuse to communicate with you in your language even though I am able" and "I'm sorry, I don't speak your language."

Which they manage to do today already.  Pretty simple.  People have been ordering custard there for decades, even if they didn't know the language. 

If you read today's articles, however, that's now what is desired here.  Point blank, some are saying they want to order in Spanish and don't want to order in English.  That puts a burden on the business owner because someone chooses not to order in English, when they are more than capable of it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2016, 09:26:38 PM »
You are creating a strawman here.  No one would bat an eye if the headline was "lots of chinese speaking people can't get custard at Leon's because the clerks don't speak chinese".  In fact most would laugh and think it came from the onion.

It is bad business and dumb to tell someone who speaks spanish, french, chinese, or whatever that they cannot use their skills to better serve a customer.  No one is requiring him to have spanish speakers.

Maybe it is dumb, maybe it isn't.  As stated earlier, a business owner has the ability to do this under a number of circumstances, including supervising of employees. 

To the contrary, the ask is to have people that speak Spanish.  Read the articles today of customers, who know how to speak English, but want to do it in Spanish.....either out of comfort, laziness, embarrassment, or whatever...that's what some want.  Now, is it a requirement?  No.  Will they put pressure on him to do it, of course...because fauxrage reigns.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2016, 09:28:25 PM »
Yeah ... again ... mostly from you.

You have been raging on and on for four pages here. You clearly are outraged at the outraged ... and the level-headed ... and people with common sense ... and people trying to talk nice to you ... and people making fun of you.

Fauxrage, thy name is Chicos!

(Unless, of course, you've been punking us the entire time; you like sarcasm too much to put a couple dozen daffy, fauxrageous posts in teal. In that case, as a guy who never uses teal or LOL, I say to you, "Well done, Sir Chicos, well done.")

I enjoyed reading the articles today....fauxrage on steroids.  Also enjoyed reading from the people that went to support his decision as well.  You know, the neanderthal, uncleansed, non-level headed types.  LOL.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2016, 09:33:46 PM »
Is it really that hard to figure out Chicos?  You are supposedly a smart guy.

No one is suggesting he hire enough people so that a bi-lingual staff member is always present. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2016, 09:38:02 PM »
I enjoyed reading the articles today....fauxrage on steroids.  Also enjoyed reading from the people that went to support his decision as well.  You know, the neanderthal, uncleansed, non-level headed types.  LOL.

I know, you're fauxraged about 'em!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2016, 10:01:09 PM »

That makes no sense.  He decided because he knew the marketplace was going to turn against his business because his English only policy was dumb.

I know you will usually go down every illogical path to twist yourself into being right, but this is kinda ridiculous.

Some people (owner of Leon's) realize when they've taken a stupid position and change that position. Others (Chico) dig in.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2016, 10:45:10 PM »
Chico has now made 31 posts on a topic only someone looking for an argument would deem controversial. Everyone with a brain (including, upon reflection, the business owner) realizes that the business owner made a perfectly legal but stupid business decision - which he decided to correct.

Anyone confusing that stupid business decision with some hero standing athwart against the evil forces of political correctness is seeing things that simply don't exist. Let's be charitable and blame his delirium tremens on Political Board withdrawal syndrome.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2016, 10:59:06 PM »
Watch these rap figgaz get all up in your guts
French-vanilla, butter-pecan, chocolate-deluxe
Even caramel sundaes is gettin touched
And scooped in my ice cream truck, Wu tears it up
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2016, 11:49:07 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2016, 08:53:50 PM »
http://fox6now.com/2016/05/20/latest-meeting-between-owner-of-leons-frozen-custard-lulac-canceled/

The comments section (some of them anyway)....bravo.

No time or interest to surf through comments of a story I'm done with. I'm working tonight and have better things to do.

feedback