[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WI Supreme Court Takes McAdams' Case  (Read 74905 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: WI Supreme Court Takes McAdams' Case
« Reply #525 on: July 09, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »
I don't disagree, but the thing I struggle to wrap my head around is how do you ensure that people who are voting should/are allowed to vote. I totally get that voter fraud seems to be relatively rare, but I think in part that's because a lot of people aren't voting generally. Automatic registration makes voter fraud more viable.

I'm really torn on the whole thing because I absolutely want to make sure everyone who wants to vote can, but I also want to preserve the sanctity of every vote cast.

4 verified cases in 2016 out of over a hundred million ballots cast. Generally speaking, it's not a thing.

...but there are Judges who have ruled that even proof of citizenship is an obstacle to voting.

It is. Proof of citizenship or voter ID is a violation of the 24th Amendment that prohibits a poll tax. A photo ID costs money. The government is illegally collecting money in exchange for your right to vote. Voter ID laws are unconstitutional.

Selectively harder for *some* people to vote.  It's a feature, not a bug.

Yeah...sadly true.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #526 on: July 09, 2018, 02:06:33 PM »
4 verified cases in 2016 out of over a hundred million ballots cast. Generally speaking, it's not a thing.

It is. Proof of citizenship or voter ID is a violation of the 24th Amendment that prohibits a poll tax. A photo ID costs money. The government is illegally collecting money in exchange for your right to vote. Voter ID laws are unconstitutional.

Yeah...sadly true.

You nailed it here. Like MS-13, "voter fraud" is a blown up scare tactic with racial undertones to it.

I don't have an issue with Voter ID, but the impediments put in place to get an ID are racially motivated and discriminatory. Closing DMV offices in minority neighborhoods. No, that isn't coincidental. Requiring a birth certificate to get an ID, again, not coincidental. Until they are readily and easily available for all then should not be required.

Closing polling stations in minority neighborhoods or on college campuses, places that are known to vote more heavily Democratic, are also racially motivated and also motivated by partisanship.  We should be focusing on expanding the ability to vote, but the right is looking for ways to lower turnout and eligibility.

The highest profile cases of voter "fraud" right now is a white girl in Kansas who accidentally cast a ballot in her home state of Colorado too. No outrage on the right over her though since she's white and voted twice for Trump. Also, a white woman in Iowa admitted voting for Trump twice because she believed Trump saying the election would be rigged. Probation for her. A white woman who submitted an absentee ballot for Trump on behalf of her dead mom: no charges. But a black woman who was misadvised on her eligibility to vote due to being on probation, and who only submitted a provisional ballot that was never counted - five years in jail.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #527 on: July 09, 2018, 02:07:04 PM »

Don't disagree.....my point is that if you go to mandatory voting it could become a thing.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #528 on: July 09, 2018, 02:17:24 PM »
Don't disagree.....my point is that if you go to mandatory voting it could become a thing.

I'm personally more on board with automatic registration and making voting easier. It should be at least a two-day weekend procedure, but I think opening it up to a week would also be fine. Allow mail-in ballots like California does. Expand early voting. And if people are serious about reducing voter fraud, eliminate voting machines and go to all manually counted paper ballots.

I'm not sure how you would implement mandatory voting. I'm not sure what effective repercussions could be enforced. I think making voting easier will increase turnout, and what we should want is an electorate that wants to participate in our democracy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #529 on: July 09, 2018, 02:20:05 PM »
You nailed it here. Like MS-13, "voter fraud" is a blown up scare tactic with racial undertones to it.

I don't have an issue with Voter ID, but the impediments put in place to get an ID are racially motivated and discriminatory. Closing DMV offices in minority neighborhoods. No, that isn't coincidental. Requiring a birth certificate to get an ID, again, not coincidental. Until they are readily and easily available for all then should not be required.

Closing polling stations in minority neighborhoods or on college campuses, places that are known to vote more heavily Democratic, are also racially motivated and also motivated by partisanship.  We should be focusing on expanding the ability to vote, but the right is looking for ways to lower turnout and eligibility.

The highest profile cases of voter "fraud" right now is a white girl in Kansas who accidentally cast a ballot in her home state of Colorado too. No outrage on the right over her though since she's white and voted twice for Trump. Also, a white woman in Iowa admitted voting for Trump twice because she believed Trump saying the election would be rigged. Probation for her. A white woman who submitted an absentee ballot for Trump on behalf of her dead mom: no charges. But a black woman who was misadvised on her eligibility to vote due to being on probation, and who only submitted a provisional ballot that was never counted - five years in jail.

This is the issue I have.....voter eligibility confirmation should absolutely be a thing in the abstract, but the actual implementation is completely corrupted by the governments who run elections.

It's been a dream of mine that governments out source elections and not actually manage them themselves.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #530 on: July 09, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »
This is the issue I have.....voter eligibility confirmation should absolutely be a thing in the abstract, but the actual implementation is completely corrupted by the governments who run elections.

It's been a dream of mine that governments out source elections and not actually manage them themselves.

Outsourcing elections to anybody would be just as partisan if not moreso than the government running them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #531 on: July 09, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
Outsourcing elections to anybody would be just as partisan if not moreso than the government running them.

Why? It's basically an outcropping of something survey monkey does or what PWC does for the Oscars, why can't a 3rd party company run an election without it being partisan?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #532 on: July 09, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »
Why? It's basically an outcropping of something survey monkey does or what PWC does for the Oscars, why can't a 3rd party company run an election without it being partisan?

Even less accountability and safeguards. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #533 on: July 09, 2018, 02:58:20 PM »

This.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #534 on: July 09, 2018, 02:59:09 PM »

Why is that?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #535 on: July 09, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »

PWC and the Oscars might not be the best example.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #536 on: July 09, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »
Why is that?

See towers post that I quoted and then said "this"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #537 on: July 09, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »
Why is that?

There are tons of problems with outsourcing elections.
First among them, the federal government doesn't run elections. Each state runs its own elections. So, besides possibly a constitutional amendment, there's no way to require all 50 states to outsource their elections.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #538 on: July 09, 2018, 04:03:05 PM »
First among them, the federal government doesn't run elections. Each state runs its own elections. So, besides possibly a constitutional amendment, there's no way to require all 50 states to outsource their elections.

I mean cities, counties, states all potentially out sourcing, not saying it's required I just think it would make life easier.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #539 on: July 09, 2018, 04:03:46 PM »
PWC and the Oscars might not be the best example.

Well unless we're going to do a game show on election night that involves envelope opening, I think it's ok :)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #540 on: July 09, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »

Why? Guarantee I can build you a contract that would ensure high accountability and safeguards that are better than what the government does, especially if you move to an automatic registration model.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #541 on: July 09, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »
Back to the McAdams case...

The most disturbing thing to me about this ruling is that the court effectively ruled that students have zero expectation of privacy with regard to their personal information, and its use and dissemination by their university, faculty members, and other students.

The crux of this case was not the conduct of the student, academic freedom, etc., but the posting of personal information of a student without consent in a method that made it extremely likely to be used for harassment, unwelcome contact, and bullying. Marquette, correctly, viewed this behavior as unethical/unprofessional and deserving of disciplinary action.

As someone who works in the data privacy sphere, this court's ruling is extremely alarming to me. Consent should always be obtained prior to collection and dissemination of personal information. The fact that the personal information was also placed elsewhere, such as a university directory, DOES NOT CONSTITUTE CONSENT.

This outcome is yet another indication that our views of privacy in this country are so ridiculously ass backwards.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:40:05 PM by Coleman »

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #542 on: July 09, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
Back to the McAdams case...

The most disturbing thing to me about this ruling is that the court effectively ruled that students have zero expectation of privacy with regard to their personal information, and its use and dissemination by their university, faculty members, and other students.

The crux of this case was not the conduct of the student, academic freedom, etc., but the posting of personal information of a student without consent in a method that made it extremely likely to be used for harassment, unwelcome contact, and bullying. Marquette, correctly, viewed this behavior as unethical/unprofessional and deserving of disciplinary action.

As someone who works in the data privacy sphere, this court's ruling is extremely alarming to me. Consent should always be obtained prior to collection and dissemination of personal information. The fact that the personal information was also placed elsewhere, such as a university directory, DOES NOT CONSTITUTE CONSENT.

This outcome is yet another indication that our views of privacy in this country are so ridiculously ass backwards.

The crux is blogging about a public blog? Why would public blogs be shielded or protected from criticism?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #543 on: July 09, 2018, 04:59:23 PM »

I agree with what you are saying, Pakuni, but I was not speaking to the logistics of doing so.

My "Why is that?" response was to the post that said "Outsourcing elections to anybody would be just as partisan if not moreso than the government running them."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #544 on: July 09, 2018, 05:02:10 PM »
Coleman is lying; likely has not read the opinion & related documents. #FakeNews
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #545 on: July 09, 2018, 05:19:51 PM »
Coleman is lying; likely has not read the opinion & related documents. #FakeNews

I read it. I think it’s clear that the court made a narrow ruling that applied very specifically to this case and didn’t set broad precedents with regards to academic freedom and contractual law.

In other words they crafted an opinion to get the result they wanted. As I said, it was political.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #546 on: July 09, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »
In other words they crafted an opinion to get the result they wanted. As I said, it was political.

In other words, a conspiracy by "The State" to control private business... Politics, plain & simple
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:41:36 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #547 on: July 09, 2018, 06:24:18 PM »
In other words, a conspiracy by "The State" to control private business... Politics, plain & simple

No.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #548 on: July 09, 2018, 06:39:37 PM »
Not a red herring.
Refusing to participate in the electoral process is a protected form of political speech.

Apply the same logic to union participation / right-to-work, and I guarantee you sing a different tune.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #549 on: July 09, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »

Where do you people come up with this crap?

Oh, yeah......

feedback