[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread  (Read 236348 times)

panda

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2022, 11:28:54 AM »
Kelvin Sampson cheats.  Cheating pays.  And there is a LOT of money in Houston.

If we want to win at Houston's level, we need Shaka to "bend" some rules and for the people who ponied up for Wojo's buyout to pony up for some talented hoopers.

His recruiting violation was sending too many text messages. Hardly on the Louisville/Arizona etc. level

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2022, 11:34:20 AM »
His recruiting violation was sending too many text messages. Hardly on the Louisville/Arizona etc. level

Something that is completely legal now. And it was 15 years ago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2022, 11:35:26 AM »
We're not but they're an example that prime-time resurgences are possible.  That program was nowhere on anyone's radar for a very, very, long time.  I think we're in a good place with Shaka but it never hurts to reiterate the tools necessary to elevate our program to an elite level once again.

Reasonable. I have said many times that we can be a very high-level program again (and I'm not the only Scooper who has said it). Just need the right coach. Hopefully, it's Shaka.

As for Sampson, his egregious NCAA violation almost seems quaint.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2022, 11:40:14 AM »
Kelvin Sampson cheats.  Cheating pays.  And there is a LOT of money in Houston.

If we want to win at Houston's level, we need Shaka to "bend" some rules and for the people who ponied up for Wojo's buyout to pony up for some talented hoopers.
Cheating part of Jesuit path
Goal is National Championship

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2022, 11:40:58 AM »
Right.  Legal now.  Wasn't legal when he was doing it.  Then lied to the NCAA about it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2022, 11:42:18 AM »
Right.  Legal now.  Wasn't legal when he was doing it.  Then lied to the NCAA about it.

Marquette should have hired him in ‘14 but Chico’s self-righteousness infected the athletic department
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2022, 11:45:14 AM »

Do you have your fainting couch handy?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2022, 11:50:03 AM »

An antiquated rule at the time. On the sliding scale of cheating, this is handing out a t shirt.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2022, 11:58:03 AM »
I remember way back when, handing out bags of money used to be cheating.  Kids these days don't know how rough we had it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2022, 12:00:59 PM »
Sampson definitely paid a price for his cheating scandals.  What is undisputed is the guy can flat out coach.  The overall talent on his recent  teams have not been off the charts truthfully.  Clearly he knows what the H he is doing, and in particular establishing a defensive identity. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2022, 12:29:40 PM »
Marquette should have hired him in ‘14 but Chico’s self-righteousness infected the athletic department

Stop it. Everybody knows we should have hired Chris Beard in 2014 -- he was coming off a 19-9 season for Angelo State!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2022, 01:17:18 PM »
UH is public school with required reporting, incl under Texas law. This is the latest NIL reporting I could find. UH competes but nothing seems too large or out of line

It appears UH is competitive but certainly not an OSU or Alabama, where football is king and the larger amounts dwarf UH.
I like Star pizza, although its always as much a yuppie place to be seen as anything. Some interesting other sources noted here too.
I cant see any cheating red flags though.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/University-of-Houston-athletes-NIL-deals-17398263.php
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2022, 04:16:39 PM »

Does anyone really care about cheating in college sports anymore when it comes to anything but academic fraud? 

Oh wait, I know why you care so much.  Because the one thing Wojo actually did at Marquette was run a “clean” program.  Well, Wojo did a terrible job here, and he’s gone, and he’ll never be back.  If he returned for some type of anniversary like the 100 year celebration that happened a little while ago, he’d be booed harder than Buzz and Crean combined, because that’s what happens to you in sports when you’re a loser.  It’s the biggest sin you can commit, far bigger than a minor recruiting violation.  You believe that happy crappy?

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2022, 04:45:29 PM »
Does anyone really care about cheating in college sports anymore when it comes to anything but academic fraud? 

Oh wait, I know why you care so much.  Because the one thing Wojo actually did at Marquette was run a “clean” program.  Well, Wojo did a terrible job here, and he’s gone, and he’ll never be back.  If he returned for some type of anniversary like the 100 year celebration that happened a little while ago, he’d be booed harder than Buzz and Crean combined, because that’s what happens to you in sports when you’re a loser.  It’s the biggest sin you can commit, far bigger than a minor recruiting violation.  You believe that happy crappy?

Such a minor recruiting violation that Indiana fired him in the middle of his second season when he was 22-4.

Not sure what the rest is about, but okay.

• All American
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2022, 04:48:08 PM »
Such a minor recruiting violation that Indiana fired him in the middle of his second season when he was 22-4.

Not sure what the rest is about, but okay.

Again it was illegal at the time. It isn’t now. I don’t care what he is doing to land recruits in Houston. He could be texting them hundreds of times a day or dropping NIL bags on their porch. It’s all basically legal now.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2022, 04:51:08 PM »
Again it was illegal at the time. It isn’t now. I don’t care what he is doing to land recruits in Houston. He could be texting them hundreds of times a day or dropping NIL bags on their porch. It’s all basically legal now.

Right!  It was illegal when he was doing it!  He was cheating!

• All American
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2022, 04:59:45 PM »
Right!  It was illegal when he was doing it!  He was cheating!

Grab your fainting couch. I don’t care.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2022, 05:04:29 PM »
Grab your fainting couch. I don’t care.

Clearly!

panda

• All American
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2022, 06:02:33 PM »
The ncaa went on to change their rules very shortly after.

You have to be a colossal clown to equate the cheating Sampson did to the much more egregious acts his colleagues did/do every day.

The rules on cell phone communication at the time were very vague. It’s very likely he didn’t know he was cheating and when asked about it, he didn’t lie but didn’t know the rules.

Not great, but very much deserving of a second chance and I’m happy he’s taking advantage of it. I would love to have a man of his character coaching Marquette. He recruits high character kids and avoids off court disciplinary issues before and after the evil phone calls he made.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2022, 06:08:27 PM »

You have to be a colossal clown to equate the cheating Sampson did to the much more egregious acts his colleagues did/do every day.

The rules on cell phone communication at the time were very vague. It’s very likely he didn’t know he was cheating and when asked about it, he didn’t lie but didn’t know the rules.

Not great, but very much deserving of a second chance and I’m happy he’s taking advantage of it. I would love to have a man of his character coaching Marquette. He recruits high character kids and avoids off court disciplinary issues before and after the evil phone calls he made.

Hah! I’ve got a bridge up for sale. You in? Lot of interest so put your bid in soon!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2022, 06:20:23 PM »

Was that concerning his violations at Oklahoma, or his violations at Indiana? I'm pretty sure he was put on a ban of no phone calls to recruits when he was at IU, so he had an assistant call the recruits from Sampson's home, with Sampson in the room. But hey, he didn't dial the number. Semantics, right?

He may have not known he was violating when at Oklahoma, but he damn sure did at IU.

panda

• All American
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2022, 06:22:27 PM »
Hah! I’ve got a bridge up for sale. You in? Lot of interest so put your bid in soon!

Based on your recent posts on the World Cup and this, it seems you’re incapable of engaging in an actual conversation at the topic at hand.

Not much of a surprise given the positions you took in both topics.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2022, 06:29:37 PM »
Based on your recent posts on the World Cup and this, it seems you’re incapable of engaging in an actual conversation at the topic at hand.

Not much of a surprise given the positions you took in both topics.

When you say a guy who broke the same rule at not one but two jobs just didn’t know the rules because they were vague and he didn’t really lie to the NCAA, it’s hard to have a serious conversation with you.

Was that concerning his violations at Oklahoma, or his violations at Indiana? I'm pretty sure he was put on a ban of no phone calls to recruits when he was at IU, so he had an assistant call the recruits from Sampson's home, with Sampson in the room. But hey, he didn't dial the number. Semantics, right?

He may have not known he was violating when at Oklahoma, but he damn sure did at IU.

Sounds like someone who was just confused about vague rules.

panda

• All American
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2022, 07:22:51 PM »
When you say a guy who broke the same rule at not one but two jobs just didn’t know the rules because they were vague and he didn’t really lie to the NCAA, it’s hard to have a serious conversation with you.

Sounds like someone who was just confused about vague rules.

Rules so benign that there is an ncaa official on record saying this in regards to Sampson and his calls - “We don’t even care about that anymore,” they said. “We aren't even wasting our time and resources with it.” So much so that the rules, in fact, are likely to change this year. There will almost certainly be more communication permitted between coaches and recruits, potentially even unlimited calls, and the NCAA is also set to allow text messaging in the recruiting process.

So yea he broke the rules and deserves to be punished. But he absolutely deserved a second chance and shouldn’t be labeled amongst some of his other less respectable colleagues.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2022, 12:14:51 AM »
They are getting worked by a really good Zona team, but Wes Miller’s Cindy team is so much more fun to watch than the Mick Cronin rock fight teams